• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

atomsk

Party Pooper
9FdHhSO.png

While the dude is certainly raking in bank, when it comes to socialblade stats, the more accurate number is on the low end, not the high end.

Not that 1mil+ a year for what he does is anything to sneeze at.

But my own social blade says $21-$247, and man I'd love $247 a month, I could buy some new equipment. As it is I feel lucky enough it pays for my Gamefly sub.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean, were you really ever just buying games blindly because of some random video person's recommendation? The real thing to worry about IMO is the more subtle, advertisement-like psychological effects of shady schemes like this.

Well, sometimes I'd see a friend link a youtube video that they said was good to get information about whether a game was for me or not. I usually would do this for games that were smaller, that not many people talk about, so that I could get an expanded perspective. But there have been times when I've seen a video for bigger stuff and thought "man, that does sound good, maybe I should play it." Now, the odds are likely that this individual doesn't have an ulterior motive. But it ties back into a theme we've talked about before: how do I know?

Once you start muddying the waters across the board like this (and as you've said in this thread, you've heard this happens a lot and in major ways in your preliminary look into this subject for an article you wanted to write), how do I ever know how to parse out those who have their hand out for a payout and those who are legitimately sharing their perspective?

Nokterian

Stats for This Campaign:

hSdTBmL.png

The above image comes from: http://www.poptent.com/brand/machinima#activity-panel
The below data is sourced from: https://www.poptent.com/activity/

Total channels: 78
Total subscriber base for indoctrination: 11,789,990
Amount of channels with >10,000 subscribers: 47 out of 78 (60%)
Amount of channels with >100,000 subscribers: 20 out of 78 (26%)
Amount of channels with >1,000,000 subscribers: 4 out of 78 (5%)

Top 10 channels subscribed to this campaign (by number of subscribers):
#1. 2,141,274
#2. 1,822,760
#3. 1,621,713
#4. 1,456,657
#5. 780,116
#6. 510,558
#7. 357,661
#8. 327,559
#9. 205,780
#10. 200,012

Maximum amount that Microsoft will pay for all of this exposure? A mere $3,750.

iMXUj85ZRl6iJ.gif

SPDIF

The percentage will not make a difference seem larger than it is. It gives context to an absolute difference, in exactly the way that 1.2 million out of a 30 million installed base (4%) is of less importance than 1.2 million out of a 3 million installed base (40%). The percentage does not lie.

It can and does. It may surprise you to find out that a lot of people don't care to actually calculate what that percentage means. Do you think a store selling products at $50, which then has a sale of 25% off, would rather advertise that sale as $12.50 off, or would they rather say 25% off. Which sounds better to you?

That's what my point is here. It just seems to me, and I may be wrong of course, that you use that 40% figure to make it seem more impressive that it actually is (not that the figure isn't impressive in its own right). "The PS4 has sold 40% more than the Xbox One" sounds more impressive to me than "The PS4 has sold 1.2 million more than the Xbox One".

Now of course, percentages wouldn't always work like that. You demonstrated that yourself with the hypothetical situation of the XB1 and PS4 selling 30 and 31.2 million units respectively. And if that ever were to happen, I don't think we'd be seeing the 4% value bandied about in the same manner that the 40% figure is currently.

Vizzeh

Banned
Is this the first step of a MAJOR organisation like Microsoft paying off a massive media outlet (Youtube) in ways that seems to be close to bribery? Its marketing if its these videos are factual adverts at the beginning of these channels videos, but coercion or persuasion of a product BY the channel owners is completely different especially if the arguments are ambiguous (we will have to see).

This is a problem because there are little or no governing body that can control what the individual youtube personalities can do and say. Its possibly close to an extremely mild dictatorship. Their voice is on a pedestal without challenge to allot of sheep.

If this was real world professional media they would be governed by the laws of the country's they reside, this could "END" up being bigger than gaming if this dice continues rolling. As im sure if these personalities start making up bullshit up in the name of microsoft, Sony's lawyers will be all over it.

The internet/youtube if manipulated or exploited by a massive campaign by MS could open a can of worms. You could find a similar pipa/sopa in the form of The office of fair trading getting involved.

"The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) is a not-for-profit and non-ministerial government department of the United Kingdom, established by the Fair Trading Act 1973, which enforces both consumer protection and competition law, acting as the UK's economic regulator. The OFT's goal is to make markets work well for consumers, ensuring vigorous competition between fair-dealing businesses and prohibiting unfair practices such as rogue trading, scams and cartels. Its role was modified and its powers changed with the Enterprise Act 2002." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Fair_Trading

As I said way earlier in the thread, the UK has a governing body that can file lawsuits/fine company's that breach the following, set by the ASA (Advertising standards agency) Whos role is too:

"regulate the content of advertisements, sales promotions and direct marketing in the UK"[2] by investigating "complaints made about ads, sales promotions or direct marketing",[2] and deciding whether such advertising complies with its advertising standards codes. These codes stipulate that "before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation"[3] and that "no marketing communication should mislead, or be likely to mislead, by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising_Standards_Authority_(United_Kingdom)

The bolded area above is particularly important and if avoided by these Youtube personalities will be fair practice by microsoft and will be commended as fair marketing and I would completely support it, but to ask hundreds of rogue mini-advertising campaigns to follow a professional set rules will have me intrigued in the months to come.

When an opening message says Hi Influencers then im worried for those swayed by such means....

Seems cultlike that people go to these videos and gets swayed, Now i have no qualms if people just want too check out the gameplay for themselves, Thats common sense....But to buy something based on what someone said is completely different.

MS in cohesion with YT, The demographics would be interesting.

"The PS4 has sold 40% more than the Xbox One" sounds more impressive to me than "The PS4 has sold 1.2 million more than the Xbox One".
As it should, because "1.2M" provides no context whatsoever. You maintain that a 1.2M isn't significant, basically by definition. If sales were 100M vs. 101M, I would agree it's not significant. What if Sony finished 2013 with 1.3M while MS finished with 0.1M? Would you consider that a significant difference?

Now of course, percentages wouldn't always work like that. You demonstrated that yourself with the hypothetical situation of the XB1 and PS4 selling 30 and 31.2 million units respectively. And if that ever were to happen, I don't think we'd be seeing the 4% percentage value bandied about in the same manner that the 40% figure is currently.
Percentages always work the same way; that's why we use them. If Sony are selling 40% more units every month, that's going to add up very quickly. It's the kind of difference that can easily reach a tipping point, where the market leader becomes the default choice for the bulk of consumers and the other product becomes an afterthought.

Sony have built a significant lead in a short period of time and demand is still significant, while not only are MS already trailing, they were already demand-constrained before launch-Christmas. They sold 908K in December because that's how many people wanted their product, period. They couldn't have sold 909K even if they shipped 7M units here. Sony could've easily sold 1M, and even 1.25M seems reasonable.

Spin all you want, but this doesn't bode well for MS.

" From another forum "

Yeah, it does reek of desperation. Microsoft shouldn't have to pay people to say good things about its product; that's actually pretty embarrassing, that the product isn't good enough on its own to get people to say good things about it. I don't see how any argument can be made that it doesn't reek of desperation. And it isn't just Microsoft either, any company that does this is pathetic.

And it doesn't matter whether they're targeting people that already like Xbox One or not, it's still sad and pathetic to have to pay gamers for positive press.

jaypah

What was the US split for Gen7? 40M/25M? Given the fact that Amazon are still taking pre-orders for PS4 shipments while Best Buy have thousands of XBones collecting dust in their distribution centers, it's not hard to imagine them swapping places in Gen8.

So if MS do ~25M in the US this generation, where in not-US do you think they'll sell an additional 15M+ units?

Hey, I don't know what either will end up selling. There could be a drastic price cut, a game changing series or service...or it could all tank horribly. 2 months out is not enough time for me to crystal ball 2018. This is all horribly off topic so I'll just leave it at you may be right.

SPDIF

As it should, because "1.2M" provides no context whatsoever. You maintain that a 1.2M isn't significant, basically by definition. If sales were 100M vs. 101M, I would agree it's not significant. What if Sony finished 2013 with 1.3M while MS finished with 0.1M? Would you consider that a significant difference?

Percentages always work the same way; that's why we use them. If Sony are selling 40% more units every month, that's going to add up very quickly. It's the kind of difference that can easily reach a tipping point, where the market leader becomes the default choice for the bulk of consumers and the other product becomes an afterthought.

Sony have built a significant lead in a short period of time and demand is still significant, while not only are MS already trailing, they were already demand-constrained before launch-Christmas. They sold 908K in December because that's how many people wanted their product, period. They couldn't have sold 909K even if they shipped 7M units here. Sony could've easily sold 1M, and even 1.25M seems reasonable.

Spin all you want, but this doesn't bode well for MS.

What real difference would that make. What you're saying is if both numbers are high, you would agree with me, but when both numbers are low, you wouldn't? It's still only a difference of just over 1 million, so yes it's insignificant. And I'm not trying to spin anything. You seem to think that I have a big interest in the sales of the two consoles, when I really don't. I even said in earlier posts that Sony are all but guaranteed to have a large lead. I simply brought up the point that certain people like to use that 40% figure, because it seems larger than stating the raw number. That's it. If you don't agree with that then fine. Sony will "win" when it comes to most consoles sold and I don't think there's any arguing that. But that wasn't my original point.

EGM1966

As shady as astroturfing (I guess its just a variant really) and I'd love to see this come under scrutiny by some of the European fair trading bodies just as much as I wanted Sony to take heat with their fake online efforts previously.

Advertising has to be known to be such - hiding it is definitely something that should be curbed.

beast786

What real difference would that make. What you're saying is if both numbers are high, you would agree with me, but when both numbers are low, you wouldn't? It's still only a difference of just over 1 million, so yes it's insignificant. And I'm not trying to spin anything. You seem to think that I have a big interest in the sales of the two consoles, when I really don't. I even said in earlier posts that Sony are all but guaranteed to have a large lead. I simply brought up the point that certain people like to use that 40% figure, because it seems larger than stating the raw number. That's it. If you don't agree with that then fine. Sony will "win" when it comes to most consoles sold and I don't think there's any arguing that. But that wasn't my original point.

SMH

you are the one claiming some how 1 million is not significant because the number sounds to low. irrespective of what the total and in how much time.

that is exactly why people use percentage. To add perspective to that raw number.

I can't believe I am arguing about math. SMH

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
SMH

you are the one claiming some how 1 million is not significant because the number sounds to low. irrespective of what the total and in how much time.

that is exactly why people use percentage. To add perspective to that raw number.

To be fair, we've had some amazing* Math on NeoGAF in recent times. :p

50% / 33% ring any bells :p

By amazing, I meant atrocious :p

Between SPDIF vs Math and Cuburt vs Schreier in a battle of Anecdotal Evidence vs Actual Website Statistics, I don't know how many squash matches I can take here

Probably a lot considering how condescending both are being

Summoner

Stats for This Campaign:

Total channels: 78
Total subscriber base for indoctrination: 11,789,990
Amount of channels with >10,000 subscribers: 47 out of 78 (60%)
Amount of channels with >100,000 subscribers: 20 out of 78 (26%)
Amount of channels with >1,000,000 subscribers: 4 out of 78 (5%)

Top 10 channels subscribed to this campaign (by number of subscribers):
#1. 2,141,274
#2. 1,822,760
#3. 1,621,713
#4. 1,456,657
#5. 780,116
#6. 510,558
#7. 357,661
#8. 327,559
#9. 205,780
#10. 200,012

Maximum amount that Microsoft will pay for all of this exposure? A mere $3,750.
I think people forget that it's Machinima paying their affiliates this mediocre amount.
The real question is how much did M$ pay Machinima for this promotion...
and how much of it stayed in their pockets while their affiliates do all the donkey work for their content for a capped $3,750 in total.

SPDIF

SMH

Ok. We have the sales figures from MS, we have the figures from Sony. We know when they both launched and we know the number of countries they're both available in. Is there anything I've missed? I don't think so. So, why use the percentage rather than the raw number? Why say there's a 40% difference instead of saying there's a difference of 1.2 million?

Let's use onanie's hypothetical. If the figures were 30 million and 31.2 million, would you use the 4% figure? Or would you be more inclined to use the raw number? What perspective could possibly be added by using the percentage in these scenarios?

You always use percentages to show the difference between large scale numbers like that!

Source: FUCKING MATH

Edit for clarity: Especially when you're directly comparing them in that manner. You don't just subtract them and call it done.

For example, I do reports on some things on a weekly basis. I will compare the numbers from last year's to the current year's, and also do a percentage.

Nobody looks at the subtraction, they look at the percentage because it is an easy way to understand close or far away the numbers were.

Christ, I wish I had a volcano around me so I could throw myself into it because of your nonsense

beast786

Ok. We have the sales figures from MS, we have the figures from Sony. We know when they both launched and we know the number of countries they're both available in. Is there anything I've missed? I don't think so. So, why use the percentage rather than the raw number? Why say there's a 40% difference instead of saying there's a difference of 1.2 million?

Let's use onanie's hypothetical. If the figures were 30 million and 31.2 million, would you use the 4% figure? Or would you be more inclined to use the raw number? What perspective could possibly be added by using the percentage in these scenarios?

Are you trolling us?

You got 8 points in your exam. What is more meaningful . 8 or that was 60%?

Chobel

In onanie's hypothetical I'll use the 4% figure. 4% means they're neck to neck, 40% means one has significantly bigger share in the market.

Of course percentage (or raw number) shouldn't be used alone, you use should raw numbers, percentage and time frame all together to get the bigger picture.

Hey, I don't know what either will end up selling. There could be a drastic price cut, a game changing series or service...or it could all tank horribly. 2 months out is not enough time for me to crystal ball 2018. This is all horribly off topic so I'll just leave it at you may be right.
I have no crystal ball, but realistically, what could happen at this point to cause a reversal in the two sale rates? The "drastic price cut" is just the same old "If all else fails, MS will just buy market share" argument, but investors are already pissed about how much money the XBox brand loses. One great exclusive will have no lasting effect. A ton of great exclusives could, but Sony have the advantage there. TV-on-your-TV was supposed to be the game-changing service, but it wasn't, especially outside the US. Sony have PlayStation Now and their IPTV service on the way, which may increase their appeal, but what services do MS have coming?

I don't think it's terribly off-topic, considering the topic is basically "How MS are trying to reverse the trend."

Why do you feel 1M is insignificant, regardless of total installed bases? Do you feel like it means MS only need one good month to catch up? See above. What's going to persuade people to start buying XBone instead of PS4? "It could be anything," doesn't qualify as a valid response. :p

I'd consider this on-topic as well, since your response to the topic is effectively, "What trend??" ;)

jaypah

I have no crystal ball, but realistically, what could happen at this point to cause a reversal in the two sale rates? The "drastic price cut" is just the same old "If all else fails, MS will just buy market share" argument, but investors are already pissed about how much money the XBox brand loses. One great exclusive will have no lasting effect. A ton of great exclusives could, but Sony have the advantage there. TV-on-your-TV was supposed to be the game-changing service, but it wasn't, especially outside the US. Sony have PlayStation Now and their IPTV service on the way, which may increase their appeal, but what services do MS have coming?

I don't think it's terribly off-topic, considering the topic is basically "How MS are trying to reverse the trend."

Why do you feel 1M is insignificant, regardless of total installed bases? Do you feel like it means MS only need one good month to catch up? See above. What's going to persuade people to start buying XBone instead of PS4? "It could be anything," doesn't qualify as a valid response. :p

I'd consider this on-topic as well, since your response to the topic is effectively, "What trend??" ;)

Well...I don't have an answer so I guess MS will sell 40m. And by off topic I meant the Redcoats rather sales talk stay in sales threads.

SPDIF

You always use percentages to show the difference between large scale numbers like that!

Source: FUCKING MATH

Edit for clarity: Especially when you're directly comparing them in that manner. You don't just subtract them and call it done.

For example, I do reports on some things on a weekly basis. I will compare the numbers from last year's to the current year's, and also do a percentage.

Nobody looks at the subtraction, they look at the percentage because it is an easy way to understand close or far away the numbers were.

Christ, I wish I had a volcano around me so I could throw myself into it because of your nonsense

And you genuinely believe most people would rather calculate that percentage than just work out the difference? If we were talking about large numbers, that were miles apart from each other, I can see why you would do that. But I just can't see the logic in calculating the percentage for something so insignificant (yes I said it again, 1 million is insignificant). If I'm looking at two numbers on a screen: 4.2 million and 3 million, I'm going to quickly work out that there's a 1.2 million difference, and that's the number that I would use when discussing the difference. I don't know about you, but I would not calculate the percentage difference for something so small (unless I was filing a report like you I guess), and I'd be willing to bet not a lot of other people would either. Which is why it just seems odd to me to see people talking about the 40% difference, when in my mind it would be just as easy (if not easier) to say 1.2 million. That's where my original point of "maybe you're just using that figure to make it seem like a larger difference" came from.

I can imagine when people became aware of just how much money the pewdiepie guy was making the drastic changes in computer game copyright claims came into effect.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
And you genuinely believe most people would rather calculate that percentage than just work out the difference? If we were talking about large numbers, that were miles apart from each other, I can see why you would do that. But I just can't see the logic in calculating the percentage for something so insignificant (yes I said it again, 1 million is insignificant). If I'm looking at two numbers on a screen: 4.2 million and 3 million, I'm going to quickly work out that there's a 1.2 million difference, and that's the number that I would use when discussing the difference. I don't know about you, but I would not calculate the percentage difference for something so small (unless I was filing a report like you I guess), and I'd be willing to bet not a lot of other people would either. Which is why it just seems odd to me to see people talking about the 40% difference, when in my mind it would be just as easy (if not easier) to say 1.2 million. That's where my original point of "maybe you're just using that figure to make it seem like a larger difference" came from.

You have no frame of reference to say whether the 1.2 million is small or not, without actually working out the percentage, and in this case the percentage shows that it isn't a small difference at all. The frame of reference is important.

jaypah

Sorry, I'm sorta new here… Are threads about marketing strategies not considered sales-related? =/

Well sales threads that drift into marketing strategies happen. I'm not sure about taking a thread about market deception and turning it into yet another sales thread is a good idea. I'm not a mod though so carry on.

Most the big youtube channels make money in one way or another and this most likely isn't the first time either of them has promoted anything. A shame list? Really? If you were against the monetization of youtube and promotion than avoid any big gaming channels, especially those with a partnership.

If monetization ever ends expect output to dramatically decline or stop all together for these channels.

There might be something against the board rules on promoting games in the forums themselves, but I doubt Neogaf is going to ban people that promote games on a completely different website.
You're missing the difference. I'm not saying we should shame people who make money off of YouTube collectively or can't be in partnerships etc, but we should be shaming the people who are willing to take the Microsoft cash and not disclose it. The problem with this whole matter is that no one seems to be disclosing their income from Microsoft in their videos with the promotion tag. That is, to be direct, illegal. Such things should have consequences of some sort.

If we were talking about large numbers, that were miles apart from each other, I can see why you would do that.
We use percentages to show the magnitude of difference, and it works with even comparatively small values. That's why percentages are so useful.

(yes I said it again, 1 million is insignificant).
Again, why do you consider 1M to be inherently insignificant?

That's where my original point of "maybe you're just using that figure to make it seem like a larger difference" came from.
We're using 40% to illustrate the difference, while you're using 1.2M to downplay the difference.

That's the … err … difference. :p

I'm just going to build a volcano and jump into it

It'd be easier than explaining this madness

You fucking divide the smaller number by the bigger number, LOOK IT'S PERCENTAGES

Then blatantly ignoring the scale of the numbers. If I subtract 1.2 million from 40 million, it's not as big of a deal. If I do it from 4.2? That's a big goddamn deal.

I'm out. If you need me I'm going to be importing lava and building my volcano with sand

Chobel

The 1.2 mil difference by itself could be anything. It doesn't give use the significance of said difference. You said it's insignificant difference, I ask you: why do you think so? insignificant compared to what? You must have some point of reference to say that. So what's the reference you're using?

Usually percentages are what give us the significance of these numbers. You said percentage in this case doesn't mean anything, so what are you using to get the significance of this difference?

EGM1966

You need the percentage to truly understand the relationship and you need the units to understand the scale.

However to compare two numbers to understand their relationship comparatively you use the percentage first and foremost (product X has sold 30% more than product Y) and you then turn to the units to see if we're talking big numbers (product X has sold 1 million units) or small numbers (product X has sold 1000 units).

Percentage wise (and unit wise at this stage in their launch) the PS4 is lead is significant overall and varies from dominating in some territories to being very close in others (well probably only US at this point as even UK difference is decent) to something in a range in-between - because I'm afraid numerically with sales of 4.2 and 3.0 million 1.2 million is a mathematically significant number in relation to the other two (think about it you're discounting over a third of the XB1 sales as insignificant and over twenty five percent of PS4 sales as insignificant, that's clearly mathematically unsound).

Now let's get back to complaining at underhand marketing!

SPDIF

You know what guys? I was wrong. I just want to make it clear that I understand where you were all coming from. I mean, I understood the math and everything (I wouldn't be a very good software developer if I didn't know a thing or two about it :) ) but for some reason I was just incessantly marching on with my logic, refusing to really take a step back and think straight for a minute. So for that, I just want to admit that I was wrong, and I apologise for derailing the thread.

beast786

You know what guys? I was wrong. I just want to make it clear that I understand where you were all coming from. I mean, I understood the math and everything (I wouldn't be a very good software developer if I didn't know a thing or two about it :) ) but for some reason I was just incessantly marching on with my logic, refusing to really take a step back and think straight for a minute. So for that, I just want to admit that I was wrong, and I apologise for derailing the thread.

tumblr_ly1c6snJjb1r5ruse.gif

Vizzeh

Banned

Percentage for sure tells alot of the story, if not most of it, but its still wise to acknowledge where you were coming from, you were ofc making the point that if say at launch 10 PS4's where sold to Xbones 5, that would be a 50% lead. BOOM! end of conversation, they got a 50% lead :) ie a percentage can make anything look good. Unfortunately thats how sales work, if you got x amount of percentage over your competitor, you choke them with it :)

takes a fair amount of balls to back down from a debate like you did so i hope its commended by all involved :)

SegaShack

You're missing the difference. I'm not saying we should shame people who make money off of YouTube collectively or can't be in partnerships etc, but we should be shaming the people who are willing to take the Microsoft cash and not disclose it. The problem with this whole matter is that no one seems to be disclosing their income from Microsoft in their videos with the promotion tag. That is, to be direct, illegal. Such things should have consequences of some sort.

I understand your point, but we do not know what they are paid to endorse other games or when they endorse other products. It's not uncommon for these Youtube personalities to get paid by a publisher to show off a certain game. If you like these kind of channels, definitely be wary of these people promoting things for money without telling you.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I mean it's obviously deceitful if you go on youtube and you have no idea whether someone pimping the XBO is being genuine or not or if they're just wanting to get paid. If it were not deceitful, there'd be a disclaimer before the "promotion" video that it was, in fact, a promotion video. If you are not abreast of this pay scheme, as many clearly were not, then you could easily be fooled into thinking such positive impressions were someone's real and honest opinion.

Now it's clear that you can never be sure when someone is being honest about the system or just a paid shill.

Same would be true if it were Nintendo or Sony, and if this is a common practice, all it means is youtube videos are pointless for impressions since we now have no way of knowing who is being truthful or not.

When is someone pimping anything 'genuine'?

I didn't mean that sarcastically, I suppose I've just been jaded so long by the business.

edit: sorry, removed what I ended up writing

Majanew I stumbled across his channel about a week ago and then realised this was the guy I've heard being mentioned a couple of times so thought I'd watch for a bit.

I have yet to understand why there are so many who would subscribe and watch that crap.

2593487-bafgmnzcaaiknsw.png

I'm on the take, guys. Unfortunately the only thing I promote is video content regarding Final Fantasy VII and Perfect Dark Zero.

Top Bottom