• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft/Turn 10 are apparently deleting negative Forza Motorsport reviews from the Xbox PC app

There's definitely some paid shills posting 10/10's on Metacritic. I have seen loads of near-identical usernames posting near-identical "reviews," often very short, generic, and overly positive. It's so obvious it's comical.

Nah, these people aren’t even paid, that’s the sad part. And for every 10/10 unpaid warrior review there’s a 1/10 unpaid warrior review. It’s insane.

King Dazzar

Taking flights across the world and mapping each track inch by inch takes a long time :p

Didn't they already do this with previous games? I don't understand why T10 or PD would need to do it again once done. It's not like the tracks change every year lol
Joking aside. Aren't they already laser scanned from previous games? Not sure how much they need to keep revisiting the same tracks again and again. Are we convinced the geometry in game of the tracks themselves i.e minus scenery, would have changed much from FM7? And even if they did rescan them, 6 years?

blue velvet

There's definitely some paid shills posting 10/10's on Metacritic. I have seen loads of near-identical usernames posting near-identical "reviews," often very short, generic, and overly positive. It's so obvious it's comical.
It's like it's getting review bombed but in reverse.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why would paying customers manipulate reviews?
I think the phenomenon is that people are more likely to leave reviews when they're unhappy than when they are happy. It's not manipulation of a score. That's the wrong perspective. Having a bad experience elicits an emotional response and desire to vent frustration so someone can hear and respond. Far fewer people ask to speak to the manager when their experience is what they expect.

blue velvet

I guess we could call that a game getting shill-bombed.
Some of those reviews are quite funny. Most users are recently created and some give 0 to all Playstation games and perfect 10 to Microsoft games. Metacritic needs to fix their site, there should be a way to validate that the users do own the game that they are rating like Steam. Anybody can pretty much make dozen of accounts and review bombed a product or inflate the positive review. That sht doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think the phenomenon is that people are more likely to leave reviews when they're unhappy than when they are happy. It's not manipulation of a score. That's the wrong perspective. Having a bad experience elicits an emotional response and desire to vent frustration so someone can hear and respond. Far fewer people ask to speak to the manager when their experience is what they expect.
That's fair enough. But then this rule applies to every game similarly.

jayj

Banned
Some of those reviews are quite funny. Most users are recently created and some give 0 to all Playstation games and perfect 10 to Microsoft games. Metacritic needs to fix their site, there should be a way to validate that the users do own the game that they are rating like Steam. Anybody can pretty much make dozen of accounts and review bombed a product or inflate the positive review. That sht doesn't make any sense.
I feel like this is simply demonstrating why I stopped caring about Metacritic scores a long time ago. The critics are usually a part of a hive mind and bought off or otherwise incentivized, and the user scores are too heavily influenced by fanboys and shills. I think that's why I stick to Steam reviews the most, where I am guaranteed to be reading comments from people who at least bought or played the games. Xbox user reviews are more reliable than Metacritic as well, similar reason to Steam although more easily manipulated thanks to Gamepass, although I guess all you have to do is get a refund on Steam, but still, the fact that a purchase needs to be made seems to keep out a lot of the shill and fanboy types.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Indeed to both of you.

It is insane. This game is maybe not as good as people wanted but it should not be this low. A few months ago we were saying that Redfall got too much pressure on it because it became a first party game. Then Starfield got exactly the same problem. And now this. Not only are the games in need of patchs and fixes, those patchs make months to come, and all of this for what? Be considered not as good as another game. Starfield to BG3 then Cyberpunk. Forza to GT7. Redfall to any shooter in the last 10 years. The fact that each time Xbox do fix the games is what is the weirdest to me. Why can't they just let it cook until it is good? It should not be that hard. I understand that with Covid they got hurt a lot more than most publishers(big buy of a lot of studios fast+policy of having a lot of contractors+ big pressure from their concurrents= a lot of shit that can go wrong) but this excuse should end soon I hope.

I think some of the issue is Microsoft's decision to make every Xbox 1st game also be on PC day one is part of the issue. The devs can't focus like they used to.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I think some of the issue is Microsoft's decision to make every Xbox 1st game also be on PC day one is part of the issue. The devs can't focus like they used to.
Maybe. But when you hear that Nintendo got TOTK feature complete last year and spend one year jus working on bugs it make most excuses feel weak. The thing is that Xbox decided that all Xbox first party games must be on PC day one but did not give them the ressources to do so. So we go back to why not just wait until the game is 100% ready?

Maybe. But when you hear that Nintendo got TOTK feature complete last year and spend one year jus working on bugs it make most excuses feel weak. The thing is that Xbox decided that all Xbox first party games must be on PC day one but did not give them the ressources to do so. So we go back to why not just wait until the game is 100% ready?

Maybe it's their need to continually supply gamepass with content.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I agree. Like MasterCornholio MasterCornholio said they need to feed the GP beast, so you can't wait but for so long or people will kill their subscriptions.

Kerotan

And apparently they are writing really good reviews on this awesome forum called neogaf. Saying things like it looks better then gran turismo 7.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Maybe it's their need to continually supply gamepass with content.
I agree. Like MasterCornholio MasterCornholio said they need to feed the GP beast, so you can't wait but for so long or people will kill their subscriptions.
I know. But recently we got a few games from Xbox (Redfall, Starfield, Halo Infinite...) that got 1 year delays and still got released with bugs. I know that Xbox got a lot of reasons for that but I find it crazy that bad games that arrive late is considered better that acceptable games that arrive a little later. Just mindblowing. I hope that with Bethesda and ABK Xbox will keep enough producers/management guys/assistants to not repeat those mistakes in the next few years.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
So...

What happened to Forza? It was a guaranteed 9/10 but from the impressions I'm seeing there's a huge fall from grace. Anyone care to summarize?
Well there is a brand new theory involving streaming services that when you dont have to sell something on quality and can only worry about quantity, rushed shit start to flood out of the production lines, since we have so little exemple of this in the last years with netflix,disney+,Amazon, we will have to continue investigating, stay tuned

Top Bottom