• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

Orayn

Why does this read more like a desperate fever dream than a sensible prediction about the future?

Because people seem to be having more fun projecting the way they want the console war to turn out onto what they saw at E3, rather than doing something reasonable like leaving the hardcore technical analysis to Digital Foundry, post-release.

TheCloser

Banned
I certainly hope so, but the fact that Sony couldn't show any gameplay that looked significantly ahead of what MS showed, plus the framerate issues that some games suffered is disconcerting, PS4 was supposedly ahead in development according to rumors yet X1 first party games seemed more polished running at 1080p/60 and looking pretty darn good for today's standards.

You are 100% correct and that's why I'm very suspicious of Microsoft's bait and switch. Especially when dice developers all but confirmed the rumors with their tweets.

What if all the multi plats like ac4 destiny and watchdogs look much worse on xbone? Wernt they only shown on ps4 ?

Difference will not be like for the X1 being 720p@60fps and ps4 1080p@60fps and shitload of particles like some tout it being.
Hell before E3 on X1 reveal people even said forza 5 would be 720p and they showed bullshot prerendered stuff.

It will come down to x1 missing some post processing effects or less accurate post processing effect. Or ps4 having 2~4xMSAA and X1 having Post processing AA(FXAA, SMAA or custom solutions) 2xMSAA.

Maybe its my xbox(more like halo bias)biased but X1 games on E3 did not looked bad or ugly compared to ps4 offering. Yeah ps4 is the strongest box is it an issues not really because next gen console were not impressive to begin with for an pc gamer. And i can't see myself missing an halo single player campaign.

Here's a quick comparison between the two GPUs to give you an idea in the performance difference.

Crysis 2, max settings DX11, 1080p, high-resolution textures, 4xMSAA http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-19.png

7850: 42 fps
7770: 25 fps

Battlefield 3 DX11, Ultra mode, 4xMSAA, 16x AF enabled, HBAO enabled http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-28.png

7850: 32 fps
7770: 21 fps

Crysis 3 1080p, DX11, High settings, FXAA: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...nchmark,6.html

7850: 35 fps
7770: 23 fps

Crysis Warhead 1920x1080 - Enthusiast Quality + 4xAA: http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-HD-7770

7850: 38.9fps
7770: 23fps

Tomb Raider, 1080p, Ultra, DX11: http://kotaku.com/5990848/tomb-raide...phics-and-cpus

7770: 29 fps

Metro 2033, 1080p, Max, AAA, DX11: http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-17.png

7850: 27 fps
7770: 15 fps

Based on the above, PS4 games should certainly look a lot better, or their performance should at least be superior.

Looks like the PS4 will certainly be able to lock all those games at 30fps while using 4xMSAA and 16AF with enthusiast settings which is pretty sweet! but take a game like Battlefield 3 and all devs would need to do for X1 is drop MSAA down to 2XMSAA and tone down AF in order to match the framerate, same goes for Crysis 3 at high settings and FXAA, pretty darn sweet that consoles will be able to do this, but looking at the framerate difference, a little toning down on AA and some tweaking here and there can land you with the same experience on Xbox One.

TheCloser

Banned
And the more impressive graphical games for the X1 were on X1 devkits so i dont get your point. There is enough time between now and release to cancel preorders X1 if the bait and switch is true.

What? Are you serious? The best looking game at the Microsoft conference was by far bf4. Nothing else was even close and that was running on pc.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
What if all the multi plats like ac4 destiny and watchdogs look much worse on xbone? Wernt they only shown on ps4 ?

Honestly this is what I would expect(even at launch based on Gaf claims), my first buy will be whatever system brings me the most native 1080p games at the best framerate and AA quality.

If this ends up NOT being Sony then someone has some SERIOUS questions to answer.

Looks like the PS4 will certainly be able to lock all those games at 30fps while using 4xMSAA and 16AF with enthusiast settings which is pretty sweet! but take a game like Battlefield 3 and all devs would need to do for X1 is drop MSAA down to 2XMSAA and tone down AF in order to match the framerate, same goes for Crysis 3 at high settings and FXAA, pretty darn sweet that consoles will be able to do this, but looking at the framerate difference, a little toning down on AA and some tweaking here and there can land you with the same experience on Xbox One.

Dropping AF has almost no effect on framerate in modern cards.

just FYI

Hawk269

Difference will not be like for the X1 being 720p@60fps and ps4 1080p@60fps and shitload of particles like some tout it being.
Hell before E3 on X1 reveal people even said forza 5 would be 720p and they showed bullshot prerendered stuff.

It will come down to x1 missing some post processing effects or less accurate post processing effect. Or ps4 having 2~4xMSAA and X1 having Post processing AA(FXAA, SMAA or custom solutions) 2xMSAA.

Maybe its my xbox(more like halo bias)biased but X1 games on E3 did not looked bad or ugly compared to ps4 offering. Yeah ps4 is the strongest box is it an issues not really because next gen console were not impressive to begin with for an pc gamer. And i can't see myself missing an halo single player campaign.

As someone that played both the PS4 and X1 at E3, I can tell you first hand that the games on the XI just seemed cleaner. In particular Forza 5, that was the most NEXT GEN game I played at the show. Infamous Second Son was also very good...but to me the X1 games overall just seemed to look much cleaner.

As far as i know AF has hardly an impact on modern GPU.
Atleast im not noticing it on pc. X1 gpu is not an exact 7770.

What? Are you serious? The best looking game at the Microsoft conference was by far bf4. Nothing else was even close and that was running on pc.

Yeah totally forgot about that one. But we knew almost day1 on E3 BF4 was running on pc. BF4 and The division are the games i expect to be an Bait and Switch.

Ushae

Banned

Try to understand that the architecture will be very different in these consoles compared to off the shelf PC parts. The coding is much more efficient, and closer to the metal than any PC can ever achieve (or if the devs bother with PCs). They'll be a LOT more efficient than the corresponding components.

Hawk269

Honestly this is what I would expect(even at launch based on Gaf claims), my first buy will be whatever system brings me the most native 1080p games at the best framerate and AA quality.

If this ends up NOT being Sony then someone has some SERIOUS questions to answer.

Well, get ready..because from what I saw behind closed doors and was told by a lot of the folks working on games that a lot of X1 games are 1080p/60fps. How they are doing this magic is beyond me since I don't know and hardly anyone here knows exactly what is in the box, but as I mentioned in my above post, there were a lot more cleaner looking games on the X1.

driver116

Here's a quick comparison between the two GPUs to give you an idea in the performance difference.

Crysis 2, max settings DX11, 1080p, high-resolution textures, 4xMSAA http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-19.png

Battlefield 3 DX11, Ultra mode, 4xMSAA, 16x AF enabled, HBAO enabled http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-28.png

Crysis 3 1080p, DX11, High settings, FXAA: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...nchmark,6.html

Crysis Warhead 1920x1080 - Enthusiast Quality + 4xAA: http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-HD-7770

Tomb Raider, 1080p, Ultra, DX11: http://kotaku.com/5990848/tomb-raide...phics-and-cpus

Metro 2033, 1080p, Max, AAA, DX11: http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-17.png

Based on the above, PS4 games should certainly look a lot better, or their performance should at least be superior.

Kudos

Kyon

Banned
Well, get ready..because from what I saw behind closed doors and was told by a lot of the folks working on games that a lot of X1 games are 1080p/60fps. How they are doing this magic is beyond me since I don't know and hardly anyone here knows exactly what is in the box, but as I mentioned in my above post, there were a lot more cleaner looking games on the X1.

you are a journalist? What games did you see? *.*

No, they dominate the talk on GAF and IGN and other sites, where most posters are young single students. You can look at the 360's sales trajectory and see the system was basically flatlining until Kinect/redesign/price cut paired with a more Wii-like marketing focus. The system has been the #1 selling console ever since.

I haven't really liked the change in focus but you can't deny the numbers. There's a reason why MS is going in this direction with the One... although the One's game lineup is a lot better than I would've thought (and, sad to say, probably better than PS4 right now).

Erm... Ps3 is the best selling console worldwide now

http://www.********.com/

EDIT: NOT TAKING WII INTO CONSIDERATION.

abadguy

Banned
Forza 5 looked amazing, and for all the flak it gets Ryse looked great as well. If these are how launch titles will look, i don't think too many people will be complaining about X1 graphic capabilities, especially when devs like Epic and 343I start showing off stuff for it.

Not if developers were as shocked by the inclusion of 8GB of GDDR5 RAM as reports stated. They weren't coding to spec. Rough edges are to be expected.

So the RAM is the only thing that sets both consoles apart? If Sony hadn't upped it then the One would clearly be the most powerful?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Take it as you like but I have lurked on gaf long enough to know that this is what happens when you don't deliver on your promises. Did you take a nap during the drm fiasco? The threads were brutal. Did you take a nap during the ps3 launch? The threads were brutal. Sorry but history repeats itself.

But don't you think there's an inconsistency in your asserting both that

There was not one Xbox one game that looked better than any ps4 game.

and then turning around and saying

The other games from the Microsoft conference were running on pc.

with a graphics card 2x as powerful as Xbone hardware?

You seem to be insisting both that Xbox One games are ugly, but also that because they are all running on super-powerful hardware, they will be downgraded.

It's not logically impossible, but it's certainly a funny claim.

watership

Someone please take the shovel away from Microsoft.

Over this one guy saying this line? Everyone here is acting like PS4vsONE is going to be like Wii vs the HD twins or something. It's not going to be anything like that. I'm sure the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. Just like the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360 yet I don't think we'll see much difference outside out Digital Foundry and hardcore community comparisons. Since both consoles seem to be starting on good dev tools with an easy to program for architecture, things are going to be pretty similar for a few years.

Marleyman

Banned
Over this one guy saying this line? Everyone here is acting like PS4vsONE is going to be like Wii vs the HD twins or something. It's not going to be anything like that. I'm sure the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. Just like the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360 yet I don't think we'll see much difference outside out Digital Foundry and hardcore community comparisons. Since both consoles seem to be starting on good dev tools with an easy to program for architecture, things are going to be pretty similar for a few years.

Is that you Major Nelson?
you are dead on with this post

Amneisac

I think it's about time to lock this motherfucker down. People in this thread seriously need to take a deep breath and go play a game and quit freaking out about unreleased consoles.

Launch games are pretty much no indication of what kind of quality to expect by the generation's sweet spot. Who fucking cares what the e3 demos looked like?

Guess what, the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbone. Fact. Guess what else? 90% of people who play games won't notice a difference in the multiplatform releases.

Marcos

The only problem with this is if the difference is significant enough it may change how a lot of multi-platform games look on other systems. Hopefully this isn't the case because I'd hate to see the PS4's power be left untapped in the majority of games released.

there will be differences but not massive. Kind of high vs very high on PC, 30 vs 45 frames, 1280x1080 vs 1920x1080 or FXAA vs 4xAA. A lot bigger than 360 vs PS3 but a not as much as PS2 vs XBOX

Amneisac

there will be differences but not massive. Kind of high vs very high on PC, 30 vs 45 frames, 1280x1080 vs 1920x1080 or FXAA vs 4xAA. A lot bigger than 360 vs PS3 but a not as much as PS2 vs XBOX

My unsubstantiated prediction is that the difference may be TECHNICALLY larger as far as horsepower, but as you increase graphical fidelity it becomes more difficult for the average gamer to tell a difference.

Orayn

It is beyond disingenuous to compare this to 360 vs. PS3 due to the very architectural similarities you mentioned.

watership

It is beyond disingenuous to compare this to 360 vs. PS3 due to the very architectural similarities you mentioned.

They had different architecture but they turned out very similar real world results, with the edge given to PS3 near the 2nd half of generation on first party titles. Is that not correct?

strata8

The Crysis 2, Crysis Warhead, and Metro 2033 numbers with 70%+ difference between the two are bogus due to the 1GB of VRAM in the 7770 restricting the performance. I've already pointed this out to you in the other thread.

Orayn

They had different architecture but they turned out very similar real world results, with the edge given to PS3 near the 2nd half of generation on first party titles. Is that not correct?

Not entirely? I can't think of more than a handful of multiplats where the PS3 version was really better. Exclusives are a different discussion.

What I was trying to say is that the PS4 isn't "supposedly" better in the sense of the PS3, befause everything we know about the it puts it ahead in apples to apples comparisons, and there aren't any known bottlenecks like PS3's split RAM.

Hex

Banned
I always keep in mind that most PS4 devs went into creation of the games that we have seen starting with four gigs of ram as a metric and while you can make changes and optimize things, I would think that the fact that it was started with four in mind will show somewhere.
The second wave where they start from the beginning using the complete spectrum of the hardware will be something to see and I do not mean in the normal way of "getting to know the hardware" like in previous gens.
With the XB1 they knew what they were getting from day one, and it shows , not taking anything away from them Forza looks good.

rapid32.5

More like, we didn't expect Sony to double the RAM and we fucked up. Now take our shitty Kinect 2 for what it's worth, but pay $100 extra upfront.

shinnn

Can you read? Have you been paying attention to gaf lately? If you have, you would have seen that several Xbox one games were running on pc's containing GTX 7xx cards begin masquerade as dev kits. A GTX 7xx is at least 2 times more powerful than an xbox one console.
several games = motocycle?

TheCloser

Banned

It's really not magic. You have a finite amount of resources and you decide what your goals are. 1080p 60 fps is possible on the ps3/xbox360 as well. It's just depends on how you choose to use your resources.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Seeing the "graphics don't matter" talk here is quite telling. How the worm turns.

From when to when? It seems to me that the history of console sales consistently suggest that graphics do not matter as much as some people seem to push.

TheCloser

Banned
But don't you think there's an inconsistency in your asserting both that

and then turning around and saying

with a graphics card 2x as powerful as Xbone hardware?

You seem to be insisting both that Xbox One games are ugly, but also that because they are all running on super-powerful hardware, they will be downgraded.

It's not logically impossible, but it's certainly a funny claim.

Nope, I'm insisting that Xbox one first party games are ugly and 3rd party games are running on pc's. Does that clear up the confusion.

BigDug13

More like, we didn't expect Sony to double the RAM and we fucked up. Now take our shitty Kinect 2 for what it's worth, but pay $100 extra upfront.

And "oh, we designed this around slower RAM and eSRAM so it's still really expensive for less performance." PS4 was designed by game developers for game developers starting in 2008. The hard work, additional planning, and developer input have produced a greater result than the company that did not plan so far ahead with developer input and seems to be scrambling in the wake of Sony's preparation and forethought and ended up producing a weaker console that actually isn't any cheaper to make.

It's fairly obvious that launch games are no real indicator of what either system is truly capable of

Devs on both sides will get better as time goes on and thus games will look and operate better as we get further into next gen

E3 demos are dumb and I hate watching them

Can't stop myself from watching them but I don't believe a single demo on either side ever

I'll wait until I either have the game in my house on my tv or until I see other people play it

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nope, I'm insisting that Xbox one first party games are ugly and 3rd party games are running on pc's. Does that clear up the confusion.

Which 3rd party games are these? Battlefield 4? I guess we'll have to wait and see?

Forza 5 was probably the best looking Xbone game at E3 from what I saw of it. They also claimed the Quantum Break trailer was running on Xbox One hardware for what it's worth, and I would put that up there too.

Neither of these games looked as good as the PS4 stuff though. Ryse looked pretty ropey when all the problems weren't hidden by the low bitrate of the stream.

When was the last time "Most powerful" console was also 100$ cheaper?
This is just an admission that the power doesn't matter as much as the price though.

watership

Not entirely? I can't think of more than a handful of multiplats where the PS3 version was really better. Exclusives are a different discussion.

What I was trying to say is that the PS4 isn't "supposedly" better in the sense of the PS3, befause everything we know about the it puts it ahead in apples to apples comparisons, and there aren't any known bottlenecks like PS3's split RAM.

Okay, I see what your saying. Same architecture, yet faster GPU and faster RAM should show better results. I agree. I still don't think the differences will be that large. However, we'll definitely know in the first 6 months what the lay of the land is.

MercuryLS

Banned
When was the last time "Most powerful" console was also 100$ cheaper?

Boom. Also when's the last time that the most powerful console was released at the same time as it's less powerful rival? SNES was 2 year late, N64 1 year late, GC and Xbox 1 year late, PS3 1 year late.

TheCloser

Banned
I think it's about time to lock this motherfucker down. People in this thread seriously need to take a deep breath and go play a game and quit freaking out about unreleased consoles.

Launch games are pretty much no indication of what kind of quality to expect by the generation's sweet spot. Who fucking cares what the e3 demos looked like?

Guess what, the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbone. Fact. Guess what else? 90% of people who play games won't notice a difference in the multiplatform releases.

Just like people didn't notice with bayonetta on ps3 or black ops on ps3. My little brother sold his ps3 and bought an xbox because black ops felt "weird" on ps3 and he's more of a dudebro.

Ushae

Banned

Bingo. Only the exclusives will really showcase the hardare. Even then I'm sure BOTH will look really, really good.

Top Bottom