• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

Xbox 360.One

But even given the rumored specs, the graphical leap should still be decent. But it's going to be clear from the very beginning that PS4 games will look better.

Edit - Yikes 100W? This thing is weaker than I thought :(

Cool. I hope the price reflects that.

Well, the Wii U is $350 for current gen hardware (with tablet controller).

Since the 360 is at least going to be better than current gen AND include Kinect, I'm worried that it won't be too cheap.

...Unless Microsoft pulls a Vita on Nintendo and announces the One at the same price as Wii U and force Nintendo to do a drastic price drop (ala 3DS). I would be OK with that! :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
it doesn't really mean anything cause guess what, ps4 is nowhere near the highest end graphics either (MID TO LOW TIER pc gpu etc)

also, how did it show in what was presented? only ghosts looked crap, and i'm sure that'll look the same on both next gen platforms.

the other stuff was either non-gameplay angle (thus hard to judge) or looked at least on par as any other next gen stuff teased yet.

Madden looked good. Forza looked good. I didn't think anything else looked particularly great.

They had 3 months on the last next-gen reveal. Three months more dev time. I didn't see much 'wow' here, so yes, I think it showed.

E-Cat

Depends on what they consider "high end". PS4 isn't exactly high end either compared to PC.
If the leaks are true, which they seem to be based on the other revealed specs, it means that the XO's got only two thirds of the raw processing power of the PS4. And let's not even talk about RAM speed. It's bad enough that PS4 isn't as powerful as it could've been. This is worse.

it doesn't really mean anything cause guess what, ps4 is nowhere near the highest end graphics either (MID TO LOW TIER pc gpu etc)
a developer can accomplish more with the console's hardware than they can on a PC with the same hardware
and at any rate if the PS4 is mid to low tier hardware to GAF then you all must be rocking some pretty vast incomes. I think most people would consider 'mid to low tier' a lot less capable than the PS4 is (looks)

mr2xxx

Banned
100 watt SOC does not make any sense. Why is it so damn big then? It's not because the kinect is built in, what gives?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If the leaks are true, which they seem to be based on the other revealed specs, it means that the XO's got only two thirds of the raw processing power of the PS4. And let's not even talk about RAM speed. It's bad enough that PS4 isn't as powerful as it could've been. This is worse.

Isn't two thirds actually so close that you won't notice it in most cases?

You're going to be missing out on a butt load of awesome games.

Outside of the Halo games MS has no exclusives that I've ever been interested in. Now all I need is confirmation that Sony wont charge for online play and I will be on the PS4 bandwagon.

100 watt SOC does not make any sense. Why is it so damn big then? It's not because the kinect is built in, what gives?

Could be the rumors of the engineers having trouble with heat were true. A roomy box will help with that. Really to me the box didnt look all that big. It's certainly not as big as the OG xbox.

OryoN

"(Microsoft wouldn't give us specifics other than to say, "The system is designed for an SoC up to about 100W, but will vary on the scenario.")" - out of the article to the video from above.

Really? Why does the console look to be so damn big? You'd think with components on supposedly 28nm process, and with that power draw, it would be a bit smaller. I'd hate to think PS4 is even bigger... *shudders*

Honestly the tech is the least of the Xbox One's problems from where I stand... granted, I'm happy with the WiiU, but the way the industry is heading (used games activation fees, focus on cloud and entertainment over games) just isn't appealing for me. If worst comes to worst and the PS4 is also doing the same, I'll just stick to Steam/WiiU... which would be a damn shame, but I'd rather not be bent over by an industry that thinks that monetization strategies are compelling content and experiences.

If this is what the industry wants, then I'm not playing along and will vote with my wallet.

Really? Why does the console look to be so damn big? You'd think with components on 28nm process, and with that power draw, it would be a bit smaller. I'd hate to think PS4 is even bigger... *shudders*

They probably want it to have AS MUCH AIRFLOW AS POSSIBLE.

Another Red Ring issue would be a big no-no for Microsoft.

Dibbz

That's the message MS wants to get out there. Our console is not powerful. Idiots. All while they have people on stage going, look at our amazing Dog Tech.

Ouren

822501eac20a979f40e9a14cd228c905.png

1,2 vs. 1,8 Tflops - 8GB DDR3 vs. 8GB GDDR5

All multiplats will be better on PS4 in framerate, IQ and possibly loading times.

Don't need Digital Foundry to predict that. All hw rumors turned out to be true, so I don't doubt the 1,2 TFLOPS anymore.

Kimawolf

There is still a massive difference between the leaked specs and Wii U so I don't know why people are saying its now closer.

Kinect

People are saying it because if at the end of the day what's on the screen isn't vastly superior then it doesn't matter what's under the hood. And from what they showed, it doesn't impress, in the least.

But E3 will be the true test I suppose.

1,2 vs. 1,8 Tflops - 8GB DDR3 vs. 8GB GDDR5

All multiplats will be better on PS4 in framerate, IQ and possibly loading times.

Don't need Digital Foundry to predict that. All hw rumors turned out to be true, so I don't doubt the 1,2 TFLOPS anymore.

Not if Xbox is the leading platform for multiplats again.

In which case you could possibly get worse performance.

RedSwirl

No doubt in my mind Xbox One will be a great game console, with great games to play, on which people will enjoy playing games.

Additional functionality doesn't really change that.

They couldn't handle that 8GB GDDR5.

Would be interesting to see which console will be the lead for development. PS4 exclusives are going to wipe the floor in terms of graphics next gen.

Halo fans (and Xbox fans in general) must be disappointed as fuck.

Speak for yourself. It isn't about the specs, it's about the games, features and services. I've said this over and over here. Halo will be well represented, as will other games on the platform.

cripterion

I'm putting this new console in the same category as the WiiU.
Will.Not.Buy

Making it easier for people to choose I guess!

Top Bottom