• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

Speak for yourself. It isn't about the specs, it's about the games, features and services. I've said this over and over here. Halo will be well represented, as will other games on the platform.

This.

Forza 5 looked fucking glorious. I can't wait to see what their others games look like at E3.

Such a misleading quote in the OP. Obviously they didn't want to put a GeForce Titan in this thing. PS4 went the same way.

Majanew

Banned
Wow. I might just change my mind and not buy an Xbox One to go beside my PS4 this holiday. You are fucking dumb, MS. DUMB.

Mononoke

Banned
This.

Forza 5 looked fucking glorious. I can't wait to see what their others games look like at E3.

Such a misleading quote in the OP. Obviously they didn't want to put a GeForce Titan in this thing. PS4 went the same way.

Pre-rendered CGI looked fucking glorious?

look, a gaming system is supposed to push the medium forward, and high end graphics are an integral part of that. come on Microsoft...

Now here is a good question:

If they weren't targeting graphics, what exactly were they targeting as their focus?

Fantasy football?

prag16

Banned
Madden looked good. Forza looked good. I didn't think anything else looked particularly great.

They had 3 months on the last next-gen reveal. Three months more dev time. I didn't see much 'wow' here, so yes, I think it showed.

Except Madden and Forza looked like CG... And not even great CG at that.

No used games and rentals most likely not existing for the next console is not the problem, but the graphics is the game changer? I like my graphics but I'm not upset about this, I guess a gamer who cares more about gameplay than graphics nowadays is a rare thing.

Sydle

look, a gaming system is supposed to push the medium forward, and high end graphics are an integral part of that. come on Microsoft...

Perhaps I just didn't look close enough (or care enough to notice), but I didn't see anything from Sony's PS4 reveal that trumps anything we saw today. KZ4 looked nice, but I thought COD looked nice. What am I missing?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
lol where is he? I want to read his honest impressions on the console, specifically the hardware.

He is over at B3D sobbing about GAF and being tricked via PM. The sad thing is, despite my being hard on him, I gave him very good advice over and over again which he ignored. He loved to believe things that were not true and had no common sense filter that helped guide him. I suspect he is a young guy.

*pours a 40 out for Reiko*

Raven77

Honestly the tech is the least of the Xbox One's problems from where I stand... granted, I'm happy with the WiiU, but the way the industry is heading (used games activation fees, focus on cloud and entertainment over games) just isn't appealing for me. If worst comes to worst and the PS4 is also doing the same, I'll just stick to Steam/WiiU... which would be a damn shame, but I'd rather not be bent over by an industry that thinks that monetization strategies are compelling content and experiences.

If this is what the industry wants, then I'm not playing along and will vote with my wallet.

Quoted for TRUTH.

People, when upset with an industry need to VOTE WITH THEIR WALLETS.

Neo C.

Honestly the tech is the least of the Xbox One's problems from where I stand... granted, I'm happy with the WiiU, but the way the industry is heading (used games activation fees, focus on cloud and entertainment over games) just isn't appealing for me. If worst comes to worst and the PS4 is also doing the same, I'll just stick to Steam/WiiU... which would be a damn shame, but I'd rather not be bent over by an industry that thinks that monetization strategies are compelling content and experiences.

If this is what the industry wants, then I'm not playing along and will vote with my wallet.

Exactly my feeling. The other (anti-consumer) stuff is way more worrisome, and I fear gamers are going to vote wrongly with their wallet.

games cost a whole lot more to develop and market these days compared to even the generation before the 360 and PS3. If people keep on pushing the whole 'we need super-visual improvements, that's like the most important part of the whole gen!' mentality we're gonna end up with a game industry that is somehow even more centered on massive, mega-marketed, safe AAA sequels, because games are going to cost even more to make

Majanew

Banned
fPFsREb.png

E-Cat

No used games and rentals most likely not existing for the next console is not the problem, the graphics is the game changer? I like my graphics but I'm not upset about this, I guess a gamer who cares more about gameplay than graphics nowadays is a rare thing.
It's not an either/or thing. A powerful console enables not just pretty graphics. You'll have better AI, better physics, bigger worlds, etc. Basically, more wiggling room for whatever it is you're trying to build.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I was hoping to be blown away but sadly I am not.

NateDrake

I saw this detail about the GPU: -The GPU can do 768 operations per cycle. What does that mean exactly and what was the PS4 said to be at?

Japan is just so smart.

The whole Wii strategy was just there to lure Microsoft into a wrong strategy so Sony can reclaim the throne.
The longest running con of the industry.
It all began with the CD add-on for SNES. They had this big public fallout just to lure Sega.
And now, they've scammed MS into chasing that motion controls low tech.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Reiko must be devastated.

He was banned. Guess why?

He was banned lol

Good riddance.

He was such a 'stealth troll'. Always put in some cryptic bs to cause confusion and derail the threads.

he is probably in tears right now

Where is that dual APU Reiko?

Maybe this conference wasn't so bad afterall. :p

He is over at B3D sobbing about GAF and being tricked via PM. The sad thing is, despite my being hard on him, I gave him very good advice over and over again which he ignored. He loved to believe things that were not true and had no common sense filter that helped guide him. I suspect he is a young guy.

*pours a 40 out for Reiko*
Gloating is never a good look, guys.

Trickster

That's cool microsoft. I'll just purposefully not buy your console :)

Source?

I'd possibly believe that I guess, since for racing games it's usually easier to get a realistic look than other games. I'd be shocked if Madden was real though.

A turn10 designer said so on twitter. Besides, it's clear as daylight that it was realtime footage.

games cost a whole lot more to develop and market these days compared to even the generation before the 360 and PS3. If people keep on pushing the whole 'we need super-visual improvements, that's like the most important part of the whole gen!' mentality we're gonna end up with a game industry that is somehow even more centered on massive, mega-marketed, safe AAA sequels, because games are going to cost even more to make

I hope you don't think there's going to be some major difference in development cost between PS4 and Xbox games because the Xbox has a weaker GPU.

Top Bottom