• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will ‘show the world what’s next’ at May 23rd event in Shanghai

Blablurn

Microsoft is holding an event this month, the company announced tonight, at which it says it will “show the world what’s next.” The event will take place in Shanghai on May 23rd, but Microsoft didn’t specify either the precise location of the event, nor exactly what it will be showing. The company did tell The Verge to expect new hardware, however.

There are some additional clues to that new hardware to be gleaned from social media. Panos Panay — Microsoft’s vice president of devices and the creator of the Surface — tweeted the announcement alongside the hashtag “#Surface.” The tag, and Panay’s planned attendance in Shanghai, could mean that Microsoft is ready to show off the Surface Pro 5.

JqRRHQy.jpg

There’s not set to be many dramatic differences between the upcoming SP5 and its predecessor. That’s according to tech journalist Paul Thurrott, who claimed last month that the device will switch to Intel’s Kaby Lake processors, but would keep its proprietary power connector. In the meantime, Microsoft has shown off its Surface Laptop — a $999 laptop that runs the new Windows 10 S operating system.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/4/15552950/microsoft-event-shanghai-surface-pro-5-may-23

UKUMI0

Microsoft is really putting all its events into one month. First the Education event, next Build and now this. Next they're going to announce a Scorpio reveal event for the end of the month.

Finally time to show surface phones? known for ages lumia is dead

Hopefully they can make a low priced one with success of the 520

Jacob

Has there ever been any solid evidence that Microsoft is actually working on this? Not aiming for a hot take here but genuinely curious since it's not a topic I follow especially closely. I've seen blog posts about the Surface Phone for years but never any actual leaked photos, plans, specs, or whatever (plenty of fan-made mockups but that's not the same thing ofc).

jelly

Is anyone actually excited after that Surface Laptop?

They've gone up their own arse like Apple.

UKUMI0

Has there ever been any solid evidence that Microsoft is actually working on this? Not aiming for a hot take here but genuinely curious since it's not a topic I follow especially closely. I've seen blog posts about the Surface Phone for years but never any actual leaked photos, plans, specs, or whatever (plenty of fan-made mockups but that's not the same thing ofc).

Several people from Microsoft have talked about when they release another phone it'll be different from the phones we see today.

https://www.neowin.net/news/satya-n...ones-but-they-will-not-look-like-phones-today

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Can't wait to learn about how Panos had a very special relationship with his hamster and how it's shaped EVERY.SINGLE.THING.THEY.DO.SO.IMPORTANT.

(Love Panos presentations, I like to watch while trying to imagine what it's like to work with him)

Ovek

7Member7
New Surface for £2,000 with Windows 10 Shit and with a serious face tell you need to pay for the "Pro" upgrade so you can actually use the thing.

Ovek

7Member7
No, because it's BS.

10 S was created for STUDENTS for a STUDENT laptop. Surface Pro and Book were not made for students and did not have S.

A laptop that has a starting price of $999 is not created for students. A laptop that has a fabric wrist wrest wasn't made for anyone to be honest.

Might as well buy a MacBook sure it only has one port but as least it's USB C oh and you get a OS that hasn't been kneecapped.

Kyoufu

It's sad. They had such a good recent track record. And then they fuck it up with this overpriced device. Ah well.

Well, Surface Book 1 was already crazy expensive. Only the Surface Pro is something I consider to be a fair priced device from MS.

A laptop that has a starting price of $999 is not created for students. A laptop that has a fabric wrist wrest wasn't made for anyone to be honest.

Might as well buy a MacBook sure it only has one port but as least it's USB C oh and you get a OS that hasn't been kneecapped.

Would it change your opinion if someone told you you're able to upgrade your Surface Laptop to full windows for free?

Ovek

7Member7
Would it change your opinion if someone told you you're able to upgrade your Surface Laptop to full windows for free?

What for the first couple of months or whatever "generous" grace period Microsoft has given people... no not really.

What for the first couple of months or whatever "generous" grace period Microsoft has given people... no not really.

I see. You seemed so disappointed that it was launching with "Windows 10 Shit", that I thought you would have have been ecstatic to learn that you can upgrade for free.

JimiNutz

Banned

Hopefully they can make a low priced one with success of the 520

For Surface Phone to be successful they need access to all the latest apps.

Is there any way for then to have a Windows Phone that has access to the Google play store and can run Android apps? If not then I don't see Windows Phone ever being any kind of big success.

Ovek

7Member7
I see. You seemed so disappointed that it was launching with "Windows 10 Shit", that I thought you would have have been ecstatic to learn that you can upgrade for free.

See the fact is Windows 10 Shoddy shouldn't even exist... especially in a $999 laptop "designed" for students.

15" Surface Book 2 with:

Quad core CPU
32GB RAM
The latest Nvidia dGPU
PCI SSD
USB-C

would be nice.

PLEASE. PLEASE BE THIS. PLEASSSEEE. I'll take a Yoga 360 hinge, I'll take the de-attached screen, I'll take the rotator transformer mode.

Give me a workstation laptop, that has a great screen you can draw, work, watch and play on.

Make it so I can watch content in tent mode. Make the battery last enough enough for mobility. 6 hours would be perfect in some balanced wi-fi mode.
Really need a workhorse that can redefine the way we work. If XPS 15 came with a convertible design like the 13 XPS, I'd buy that tomorrow if they could retain the power.

Surface big problem, and the reason for the price is because CPU and GPU are bundled in different devices. I believe this drives the prices up.

Secondly we need thicker laptops with good key travel. The latest laptops we've seen in the last couple of years are two thin. It reduces the ergonomics.

UKUMI0

See the fact is Windows 10 Shoddy shouldn't even exist... especially in a $999 laptop "designed" for students.

The reason Windows 10 S exists is because it's free for OEM's so it makes it possible to sell laptops for less than $200 with Windows 10 (albeit watered down a tad) on it. There are already a couple laptops announced that are less than $200.

The Surface line exists (and always has) purely as a proof of concept for other manufactures. That's why all Surface devices ever made so far has existed to either sell an idea (Surface Pro with Laptop Two-in-one, Surface Book for another take on that same idea but slightly different) or a Microsoft product (Surface RT for Windows 8 RT, Surface Studio for the Surface Dial) and they fill a niche that hadn't really existed that much before, at least not on the Windows side.

Also the Surface line will always be premium. It never will be cheap, even when trying to sell the idea of a cheap laptops. Do I think the Surface Laptop needs to exist? No. Do I think it'll sell a shit ton? No. However I do think its needed to lead the other OEM's into that market space on Windows.

After a Surface product launches, you begin to see other similar products that are cheaper and/or more consumer friendly launch into that new market space.

That's the entire idea behind the Surface line. Microsoft doesn't want to compete with OEMs, simply lead them into directions they may be too scared to enter or haven't thought of before.

SPDIF

Windows 10 Shit. Windows 10 Shoddy. Got any more? It's like a child coming up with what they think is an amazing insult, yet in reality it just looks ridiculous. Please stop. And yes, Windows 10 S should exist. It's going to be used in laptops that are less than $200, which will be perfect for school kids. The fact that the flagship device for the OS is expensive doesn't suddenly invalidate its existence.

To get back on topic, this event will probably be about the SP5 and/or SB2, which is fine. It would be nice though if they finally show off some sort of phone device — preferably running Windows 10 ARM:

dppHKs3.jpg

Dynasty

After going full ultrabook, no not really. If you were talking about phones I would agree, but laptops, nah.

What is your argument for why, besides aesthetics?

Footprint, weight and battery life are what actually makes a difference to the mobility of the device.

I do not think the trade offs for .02 mm less thickness are worth it. More flimsy construction, worse keyboard with unsatisfying little keytravel, fewer ports, less room for battery, less room for upgradability (ram and m.2 SSDs).

mcrommert

Banned
Windows 10 Shit. Windows 10 Shoddy. Got any more? It's like a child coming up with what they think is an amazing insult, yet in reality it just looks ridiculous. Please stop. And yes, Windows 10 S should exist. It's going to be used in laptops that are less than $200, which will be perfect for school kids. The fact that the flagship device for the OS is expensive doesn't suddenly invalidate its existence.

Ignore him... If certain people on this forum couldn't throw moronic insults at Microsoft they wouldn't know what do with their time

Looking forward to some of the s laptops in the $200 range... Great for parents and older relatives that just need browser and office and a few other apps

I believe it was Satya that said their next "phone" wouldn't be just a phone but instead the "ultimate mobile device" so I'm down for a foldable courier (RIP) esque 5" phone that unfolds into a tablet.

Project Neon is apparently going to make Windows more touch friendly, in regards to more precise touch targets.

But I won't get my hopes up for any of this...

Symphonia

Banned
Looking forward to some of the s laptops in the $200 range... Great for parents and older relatives that just need browser and office and a few other apps
Considering their new Windows 10 S laptop is £999 and apparently marketed for students, I wouldn't hold your breath at laptops for parents and older relatives costing much cheaper.

Dynasty

Considering their new Windows 10 S laptop is £999 and apparently marketed for students, I wouldn't hold your breath at laptops for parents and older relatives costing much cheaper.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/tech...s-will-start-at-189-and-ship-this-summer/amp/

Also university students tend to buy Macbooks, that is who the Surface Laptop is targeting. The ~$200 W10S laptops are targeting primary schools.
Btw I think it is stupid MS are putting W10S on a premium device even if you can upgrade for free/$50.

faint.

This is targeted to those complaining about the Surface Notebook:

Yes, the starting price is insane for what you get. However, as is the case for every Surface product, Microsoft doesn't care about the price or giving you the best value for performance. They want their OEMs to look at what they're doing and copy them. Just look at the number of Surface Pro clones from nearly every OEM in the market. Microsoft wins either way, and based on some of the great Surface Pro clones that have launched at a cheaper price in the past few years, consumers win too.

bigJP

MacBooks are more than 1000
iOS is a closed platform so...

Futureman

MacBooks are more than 1000
iOS is a closed platform so...

Yes people saying lol at $1k laptop for students need to go to a college campus and see how many Apple laptops there are. Surface Laptop is aimed at that market and HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc will make sub $200 devices to take on Chromebooks. Pretty clear.

Top Bottom