• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth : Shadow of War already cracked

Kareha

At this point publishers should just rely on Steams built in DRM as Denuvo is getting cracked as fast as that does now.

Mifec

Not only has it been cracked, it's been cracked by someone who didn't crack 64bit denuvo before. Now we have 3 groups cracking it.

I expect The Evil Within 2 to be cracked tomorrow.

Shari

Not only has it been cracked, it's been cracked by someone who didn't crack 64bit denuvo before. Now we have 3 groups cracking it.

I expect The Evil Within 2 to be cracked tomorrow.

Yep. Id say it'll get cracked within the first 10h from release. As you say more groups being able to do the job raises competition which in turn is going to bring cracking denuvo to a very few hours after release.

I'd doubt it'll ever by as fast as bypassing steamworks but still remarkable considering how long it took just a few months back.

Glass Rebel

Once again proving that the only people who benefit from anti-piracy systems are the people selling anti-piracy systems. Who woulda thunk it?

mazillion

Everyone knows Denovo games are cracked quickly I don't know how it could possibly accomplish anything anymore with that reputation.

Doesn't even protect from the impatient pirates who might've otherwise bought the game if they didn't know it was going to be cracked in a day.

Dinjooh

Wonder how long denovo has to last before it's deemed worthy for the publisher.

Is getting the game off of pirate sites for a day enough? 12 hours?

You know, I'm not even mad at Denuvo devs at this point (though the part where they are/were basically reselling other obfuscation product is still hilarious), the stupid part is that publishers keep buying their services instead of rolling out their very own home-made antitamper that would probably be more effective just by the virtue of uniqueness... and could probably skip the separate activation part.

Audioboxer

Last year, Denuvo Software Solutions boasted that some publishers were only considering PC versions of console titles because of the DRMs previous success, when it was still stopping pirates, though the link between piracy and sales is questionable. Indeed, a recently published EU Commission report couldn’t find robust evidence of a link at all.

2MlacYj.gif

Can you pirate loot crates though?

Who could be fucked to download 100gb for a new version to be released a week later probably requiring half the game assets to be downloaded again.

Could someone explain-like-I’m-five how Denuvo went from UNCRACKABLE to “lol”? I mean I know this happens with pretty much every security protection effort but what got “solved” in this case that previously seemed impossible?

FHIZ

lol

Yeah, Denuvo is pretty much toast.
It’s been getting cracked quickly for a while now, people keep saying this, games keep using it, getting cracked, more “it’s done” comments, then more games still use it, so on and so on.

It’s almost comical.

Shredderi

So essentially Denuvo was nothing more than a training course for the crackers that helped them get even better and more creative at cracking games? And publishers still pay for it?

Lanrutcon

Could someone explain-like-I’m-five how Denuvo went from UNCRACKABLE to “lol”? I mean I know this happens with pretty much every security protection effort but what got “solved” in this case that previously seemed impossible?

Breaking a system often just comes down to understanding the system. With time came experience, with experience came knowledge.

Denuvo's only long term hope was that no-one would take enough interest in it. Once it got attached to high profile releases that crackers were targeting, it was just a matter of time.

Shredderi

Breaking a system often just comes down to understanding the system. With time came experience, with experience came knowledge.

Denuvo's only long term hope was that no-one would take enough interest in it. Once it got attached to high profile releases that crackers were targeting, it was just a matter of time.

Yeah they will always lose the battle of attrition.

Mifec

It’s been getting cracked quickly for a while now, people keep saying this, games keep using it, getting cracked, more “it’s done” comments, then more games still use it, so on and so on.

It’s almost comical.

It's done in the sense that it impedes the consumer if and when the denuvo servers go down.

shimon

Can you pirate loot crates though?

Who could be fucked to download 100gb for a new version to be released a week later probably requiring half the game assets to be downloaded again.

You can't access loot crates bc market is online only.

Could someone explain-like-I'm-five how Denuvo went from UNCRACKABLE to ”lol"? I mean I know this happens with pretty much every security protection effort but what got ”solved" in this case that previously seemed impossible?

At first it was something new so it required time to learn how it works. At this point crackers figured out the basics so they can do it within a day.

Jag

Larian continues to win. Make a quality product. Don't charge double what it's worth. Get your consumers behind you and don't fuck around with DRM.

Vuze

Can't say I feel sorry that a WB Game got cracked shortly after release, even less so with the loot crate shit surrounding it.

Blackage

So if they crack the game and mods allow it so you can get the game's in-game currency for lootboxes, would that be considered stealing to acquire lootboxes like that since you can also buy them for cold hard cash? :thinking:

Top Bottom