• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War Endgame Revealed

mjc

Yeah the hate this series gets is pretty wild. It's definitely fanfic levels of silliness but it's pretty clear it's all for fun.

My end game problems with Shadow was the bosses...super weak.

Auctopus

81Jl3Qx8dVL._SX425_.jpg

Perfect.

void666

Banned
The true ending will be a cgi video showing that during lord of the rings talon was there the entire time. Cue montage in puss in boots reveal style.

Tunahead

Well I think the Shadow of Middle-earth franchise captures faithfully Tolkien's themes about the passing of the ages and all great works and earthly things being eventually lost to time. This feeling of loss is represented by Talion's loss of life, Celebrimbor's loss of his body, and on the other side of the conflict by the disposable nature of the orc troops that function as cogs in Sauron's cruel war machine.

I hope Ring: The Other One lets you breathe atomic fire like Godzilla. And Talion should grow spikes on his back that glow when he does it, and they should show him growing the spikes in a really gnarly cutscene that's like half Gremlins and half Saw. And I hope he does a rad lute solo but he channels the power of lightning into it and it comes out all meedely-meedely-mauwww.

Exactly.

"Want to be King of the defense leader boards? Pick up a Deluxe Orc Chest for only $4.99, 11 chests for 49.99 or the BEST VALUE 25 CHESTS ONLY $99.99 GUARANTEED MYTHICAL XP BOOST AND SAURON DEFENDER. Compete with your friends to see who's the best!"

"LIMITED TIME TURIN TURAMBAR BOOST PACK, BUY 10 GUARANTEE THIS LEGENDARY HERO"

Hard to not be cynical about this, but I hope I'm wrong.

Play it on PC, use a trainer. Bypass all the bullshit, if it turns out they tuned the game to require buying shit.

AHA-Lambda

Once the Shadow Wars have been concluded, players will get to see the game's true ending, which supposedly ties the events of Shadow of War directly into Lord of the Rings. Will we get to see the Fellowship of the Ring embark on their quest? Time will tell.

Screams of busy work like Arkham Knight's true ending :/

I loved SoM to pieces, warts and all. Stupid cathartic fun in a year full of broken games and letdowns.

But I just can't get excited for the sequel here. I don't have any confidence that WB isn't going to mandate that this game is designed around pushing players towards MTs as often as possible. Pay or grind is not fun.

Carcetti

Once the Shadow Wars have been concluded, players will get to see the game's true ending, which supposedly ties the events of Shadow of War directly into Lord of the Rings. Will we get to see the Fellowship of the Ring embark on their quest? Time will tell.

I bet that it's a cutscene where Talion has sex with Shelob.

gogosox82

Why would they spoil the end of their game like this? Gee, thanks for letting me know that now I guess? This game is being marketed terribly. I went from being hyped about it to not even sure I ever want to touch this game.

You wait, watch the third game be Shadow of Middle Earth. Talion is Sauron, and you have to recapture Middle Earth, fighting against the Fellowship. You can't use the ring, and remain pure.

Also, this Endgame sound fantastic. Micros or not, it sounds like this game's packed with content.

I hope the true ending is Talion fighting Sauron inside Mt. Doom and destroying him, becoming the ultimate evil. Then he uses his orcs to build a mighty fleet to go into the West and invade the Undying Lands.

Fuck the lore, that'd be awesome.

When I read Lord of the Rings and they called Shelob she spider I thought they meant she was half woman half spider I was also in fourth grade when I read the books. So maybe the fourth grader they have in charge of writing these games just needs to have it explained to them that Shelob is a giant funnel web spider.

Falchion

I hate to complain about more content but this game sounds like it's going to take ages to beat if you want the true ending. Sounds like another Arkham Knight situation.

Falchion

I'm honestly wondering if this game is going to take 40+ hours to truly finish. It seems absolutely massive.

Famassu

I really wish the series wasn't tied to LOTR
Just treat this like it was a "what if" kind of one-shot/alternative take on some comic hero story. The LOTR world is a decent setting to have some creative fun in, it doesn't all have to be canon to offer some enjoyment.

Plot twist: To avoid contradicting the existing lore, instead of being located on Middle-Earth, Tailon actually takes over Mordor, New Jersey.

Could you imagine if Tolkein came back to life, and having somewhat caught up on the modern world, Austin Powers style, Warner Bros turned up to give him a special preview of the game. He'd probably cry.

Plot twist: To avoid contradicting the existing lore, instead of being located on Middle-Earth, Tailon actually takes over Mordor, New Jersey.

Further plot twist. It turns out Mordor is actually 'murder' pronounced in a Glaswegian accent. The game is actually the drunken ramblings of a drunk Scottish man sitting in a police cell having been fighting with with cockney tourists, screaming 'murder murder'.

I hope the true ending is Talion fighting Sauron inside Mt. Doom and destroying him, becoming the ultimate evil. Then he uses his orcs to build a mighty fleet to go into the West and invade the Undying Lands.

Fuck the lore, that'd be awesome.
Except that's functionally impossible, because the Undying Lands are basically removed from the earth.

I mean, I know they've already said "Fuck the lore", but that would just be straight up "Contradict Everything"

Exactly.

"Want to be King of the defense leader boards? Pick up a Deluxe Orc Chest for only $4.99, 11 chests for 49.99 or the BEST VALUE 25 CHESTS ONLY $99.99 GUARANTEED MYTHICAL XP BOOST AND SAURON DEFENDER. Compete with your friends to see who's the best!"

"LIMITED TIME TURIN TURAMBAR BOOST PACK, BUY 10 GUARANTEE THIS LEGENDARY HERO"

Hard to not be cynical about this, but I hope I'm wrong.

Lord of the Gacha

Hektor

Just treat this like it was a "what if" kind of one-shot/alternative take on some comic hero story. The LOTR world is a decent setting to have some creative fun in, it doesn't all have to be canon to offer some enjoyment.

But this stuff isn't even creative. The first game was about the most creatively bankrupt schlock you could write

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Except that's functionally impossible, because the Undying Lands are basically removed from the earth.

I mean, I know they've already said "Fuck the lore", but that would just be straight up "Contradict Everything"

This game is kind of already in "Contradict Everything" territory anyway.

But this stuff isn't even creative. The first game was about the most creatively bankrupt schlock you could write

I mean, yeah, the story was pretty bad, and I'm expecting this to be too. Honestly, I only want it because of Nemesis + Fort stuff. I buy Samurai Warriors Empires and Dynasty Warriors Empires for the same kick.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Yeah the hate this series gets is pretty wild. It's definitely fanfic levels of silliness but it's pretty clear it's all for fun.

My end game problems with Shadow was the bosses...super weak.

Yeah. Loved the first game because of its just balls to the wall stupid fun.

People complain all the time from what I see that triple AAA games try to be too serious or edgy at times, and then this game comes along and people complain its too 'silly and gamey'

Look forward to playing it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I wonder what the inscription on the Other One Ring will be.

One Ring to free them all, One Ring to right them,
One Ring to save them all, and in the light unite them.

Top Bottom