• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midori: The current plan at Sega is to make Like a Dragon, Persona and Sonic annual franchises through new titles, remakes, remasters, DLC expansions

Woopah

Mostly makes sense, but weird that they don't include Megami Tensei more broadly.

Also is Total War not a big franchise for them? (despite recent misteps).

Zheph

Im gonna buy it.
Denzel Washington GIF

Fabieter

I feel that last tweet, I hope SMT 5:V will do good numbers but it won't

Always preferred persona. Will the new title rather be my cup of tea?

Anyway I feel like they mostly there already with these franchises.

Cool with yakuza but I won't manage to beat one persona per year.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Unless you're adding new teams to handle the increased workload, the idea that the quality won't change can only mean one of two things:
1. The teams weren't working hard before
2. It's a lie

Like a dragon is already annually. Do you wait for that to his 10 bucks
Of course. Way too many of them to play. I think I got 1-6 for less than $10 each. Got both Judgment games for $15 each. I still haven't come even close to catching up. I got the RPG one for maybe $15.

DaGwaphics

Milking your best franchises to death in a few years, what a great strategy

This. But the sad part is it must work well enough or these companies wouldn't keep doing it.

In enthusiast communities it has diminished games like AC and CoD. The general market must just love the familiar though.

Zheph

Always preferred persona. Will the new title rather be my cup of tea?

Anyway I feel like they mostly there already with these franchises.

Cool with yakuza but I won't manage to beat one persona per year.
Its gonna be good dude, its more streamlined than persona but you will have all the demons (personas) and the super dynamic battle system that you already know. No social links, no around the clock gameplay but different paths/endings. Amazing atmosphere.
I strongly recommend it if you like jrpg.

Metnut

Not exactly on topic, but given the solid but not great sales of FF7 Rebirth but the very smooth production cycle for the game, I wonder if something like this might be the future of Final Fantasy.

Use the assets/engine from FF7R to vastly shorten and cheapen the development cycle. FF16 and Rebirth released basically in the same 12 month period and they sold probably 6M combined at $70 (or higher each). There’s still a large audience willing to pay for these games. Square needs to find a way to make more of them at a reasonable cost.

stn

Heh, Yakuza went from not being popular to now about to become an annual title. As much as I love it, I also hope that doesn't come with a drop in quality, as has happened with sports games and other annual releases.

Hudo

Dunno if I am a fan of that strategy. I'd rather give devs all the time they need.*

How about making a new Phantasy Star single-player RPG, Sega?

*Doesn't mean they should take 10 years to make a game, that's also not healthy.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Its gonna be good dude, its more streamlined than persona but you will have all the demons (personas) and the super dynamic battle system that you already know. No social links, no around the clock gameplay but different paths/endings. Amazing atmosphere.
I strongly recommend it if you like jrpg.

On the list it goes. The timing is really bad with downtrail and elden ring dlc around the corner than again the upcoming month all look quite goof as well for me so might just pick it up.

KXVXII9X

Why do companies ruin a good thing they have going? I really love Sega games, especially Yakuza/Like a Dragon, but I don't think this is a good idea. It is a fast way to burn people out of these IP's. Even Pokémon is taking longer between its next game to reach a better quality (hopefully).

I think people are overreacting a bit. It makes perfect sense.

2025 - Persona 4 remake
2026 - Persona 6
2027 - Persona Remake
2028 - Persona 6 Funky Bunch - Remaster with additional content for PS6
2029 - Persona 2 Remake
2030 - Persona 5 Remake
2031 - Persona 7

Most people never played Persona 1-4. By 2030, Persona 5 will be 14 years old and have 2 iterations of Persona to draw QOL improvements. It was originally a PS3 game, so a remake on say PS6, isn't outrageous, despite how many remasters it has received.

Sonic has a bunch of games that can be remastered/remade in addition to new Sonic games. Sonic Adventure 1-2. Create a sonic adventure 3...

Yakuza Kiwami 3-6 in addition to new Like A Dragon games.

Bry0

I love yakuza, and it’s basically already been an annual franchise, hell we even get 2 games a year sometimes. So far they’ve kept the quality high, but I’m a little concerned about that long term….

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
port or remake of SMT1, SMT2, SMT4+Apocalypse pls

tkscz

I feel that last tweet, I hope SMT 5:V will do good numbers but it won't
Didn't SMT 5 do good for being a Switch exclusive?

On topic: This sounds like a very Sega thing to do so I'm not surprised. Sonic fans are rabid and will pretty much buy anything with his face slapped on it, even if it's bad they'll buy it because they either want to bad mouth it online or just a new sonic thing. Like they said, Persona development was already like this so it's not like Atlas is doing anything new here. Yakuza and spin-offs were already damn near yearly.

Sega creating rushed titles is old news for them, but it makes them money so can't argue with the results.

Lambogenie

It's mostly gonna be faff like Persona Dancing and other spin offs. So that's fine.

I hope. Not gonna keep up with annual stuff if it's canon/a mainline game. Time's short.

Last edited:

Zheph

On topic: This sounds like a very Sega thing to do so I'm not surprised. Sonic fans are rabid and will pretty much buy anything with his face slapped on it, even if it's bad they'll buy it because they either want to bad mouth it online or just a new sonic thing. Like they said, Persona development was already like this so it's not like Atlas is doing anything new here. Yakuza and spin-offs were already damn near yearly.

Sega creating rushed titles is old news for them, but it makes them money so can't argue with the results.
I can't say, maybe Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives will have some data. All I know is that I did my part with the collector edition on switch + steelbook edition for V on PS5

Doing My Part GIF by MOODMAN

Heh, Yakuza went from not being popular to now about to become an annual title. As much as I love it, I also hope that doesn't come with a drop in quality, as has happened with sports games and other annual releases.
Yakuza was already an annual title. They pumped them out fast on PS2 and PS3. Just because they didn't come out in the West doesn't change that.

Kazdane

I'm currently going through Persona 4 Golden (it's the first Persona game I've ever played) and I have to admit... I feared I would drop it because I would get bored with the social life aspect of the game, but the characters are great and the story is interesting. So I'm looking forward to playing more titles (I'll definitely be playing P5R and P3R afterwards). So as far as I'm concerned... bring it on!

Fbh

The only one of those I care about is Like a Dragon, and if you count remasters it has basically been a yearly franchise since 2019 already (I think except for 2022). So this doesn't change that much for me.
Maybe if they have to churn out Persona games faster they can finally make them better paced and less boring.

Woopah

I think people are overreacting a bit. It makes perfect sense.

2025 - Persona 4 remake
2026 - Persona 6
2027 - Persona Remake
2028 - Persona 6 Funky Bunch - Remaster with additional content for PS6
2029 - Persona 2 Remake
2030 - Persona 5 Remake
2031 - Persona 7

Most people never played Persona 1-4. By 2030, Persona 5 will be 14 years old and have 2 iterations of Persona to draw QOL improvements. It was originally a PS3 game, so a remake on say PS6, isn't outrageous, despite how many remasters it has received.

Sonic has a bunch of games that can be remastered/remade in addition to new Sonic games. Sonic Adventure 1-2. Create a sonic adventure 3...

Yakuza Kiwami 3-6 in addition to new Like A Dragon games.
I don't think it even has to be just mainline titles. They sayvspin off counts, so some years would have something like Persona Tactica, Scramble or Dancing.

It did great for an SMT game, but not multi millions or anything like that.

Top Bottom