• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midori: The current plan at Sega is to make Like a Dragon, Persona and Sonic annual franchises through new titles, remakes, remasters, DLC expansions

BlackTron

You’ll get another underwhelming downgraded port of DX and you will like it.

Or I'll get another underwhelming downgraded port of DX and keep my Dreamcast hooked up.

Edit: I think the best-hope scenario for a version I will actually want to play is new graphics on top of the old engine like Halo 1 anniversary. I don't think they really have the capability to remake it with the proper control and physics necessary. This is also why I can't get excited for Sonic x Shadow. Meh

Last edited:
Well Sonic is already dead
john-cena-cena.gif

I am already burnt on Persona. Please give me more.

I'm a bit burned out on Persona 3 Reload, I haven't played it in like two months, but I know if I get through the part I'm in, it'll become more enjoyable.

It sort of feels like playing Uncharted 1 after playing Uncharted 2.

I can't say, maybe Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives will have some data. All I know is that I did my part with the collector edition on switch + steelbook edition for V on PS5

Doing My Part GIF by MOODMAN
Didn't SMT 5 do good for being a Switch exclusive?
Yeah, it did very well for a SMT title. I believe that the latest sales figures we have are 1.2M copies sold by the end of 2022 (Source - CESA 2023 white paper).

I also distinctly remember that the game was put on a big sale last Black Friday, so maybe in a year and a half since that last reported number, it moved an additional 200k copies or so.

That said, I think this SMTVV multi-platform release will surpass 1M copies in the first year. Many people waited for the PC and PS4/PS5 release due to the poor performance of the Switch version. It also helps that it's not just a simple re-release, since now we know it adds many QoL features and tons of new content to what was already present in the vanilla version.

Last edited:
Persona 2 visual and audio were blown out my mind back 2001(?). in my youth i even get my hair cut like tatsuya XD haha.

Heck, I first played it later than that (very slow latecomer to RPGs in general, me) and was really impressed with the character designs and sprite work.

Considering so many devs that gen moved away from doing 2D in games, stuff like Persona 2 were gems.

No motivation to replace incompetent developers because the games perform well enough anyway.

I don't think that's the reason. Actually, I think it's kind of similar to 343i: talented artists, level designers etc. but horrible top management.

Sonic's other problem is similar to modern Final Fantasy's (but more extreme, given Sonic's had the problem for much longer): too much major switch-up of game mechanics and direction with each new entry. In Sonic's case, preventing the IP from finding a solid footing and building off of it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I hope Like a Dragon includes the Judgment spin-off because man, those games rock. The second one must have one of the best action combat, it feels so good to kick some dude and send him flying across the street. :messenger_ok:

Also hoping they don't forget about SMT mainline titles, love those way more than Persona.

I hope Like a Dragon includes the Judgment spin-off because man, those games rock. The second one must have one of the best action combat, it feels so good to kick some dude and send him flying across the street. :messenger_ok:

Also hoping they don't forget about SMT mainline titles, love those way more than Persona.
Yeah, Like a Dragon includes the Judgment spin-offs, and Atlus were pleased with SMT5 sales perf so I don't think you have any reasons to worry that they'll abandon the series. It's just that there won't be major annual SMT content like for those 3 main franchises listed in my OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom