• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD |OT| - Bears Go To Battle In HD

epmode

DMPrince said:
steam preorder is up. but with the whole from dust thing i'm hesitant on preordering unless we can get confirmation that there's no surprise DRM lol.

and is the DLC only for preordering? saw that it's free. will it stay free?
A Capy rep mentioned that this is using Steamworks, not Uplay so I think I'ma grab this.

And I don't have confirmation on the DLC but I'd be surprised if it isn't put up for $$$ either at launch or a few weeks later.

KuroNeeko

epmode said:
A Capy rep mentioned that this is using Steamworks, not Uplay so I think I'ma grab this.

And I don't have confirmation on the DLC but I'd be surprised if it isn't put up for $$$ either at launch or a few weeks later.

I thought the DLC automatically came with the PC version.

Looking forward to the DLC on XBLA. Having said that, I'm going to pass on it even though I love this game if they haven't done any balance work.

First turn determined randomly, blind picking, nerfing Varkas' MP generation rate, and either removing (or nerfing) the +1 turn ring / reducing the damage done by Aiden's walls would go a long way to making the game better. Time to see if the designers care about making the whole experience better - or are just looking to cash in on some DLC.

You can do it, Capy. I believe in you!

mrbagdt

KuroNeeko said:
I thought the DLC automatically came with the PC version.

Looking forward to the DLC on XBLA. Having said that, I'm going to pass on it even though I love this game if they haven't done any balance work.

First turn determined randomly, blind picking, nerfing Varkas' MP generation rate, and either removing (or nerfing) the +1 turn ring / reducing the damage done by Aiden's walls would go a long way to making the game better. Time to see if the designers care about making the whole experience better - or are just looking to cash in on some DLC.

You can do it, Capy. I believe in you!
+1

Tizoc

Just tried out the demo from PSN only to find it's by the creators of Critter Crunch.
If I knew this I would've gotten it day 1 >_<
Really liking the gameplay but the first boss....scared me.
Could someone post tips and advice on going through the game please?
Will buy it soon after I get a cash card.

Tizoc

Sarcasm said:
Demo crashes as I hit start for first battle...=(
Were you prompted for an update when you first rand the game? There's a 30 MB update when I launched it from XMB.

Tizoc

^Que the f**&? lol, I got the PS3 ver. maybe that's why it didn't crash.
So I bought the game and noticed it has DLC; are they worth getting (and do they offer trophies?)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just played a bit of the PC version, real good port, even has native 16x10 support.

Load times are super quick, like 2-3 seconds.

mrbagdt

Tizoc said:
^Que the f**&? lol, I got the PS3 ver. maybe that's why it didn't crash.
So I bought the game and noticed it has DLC; are they worth getting (and do they offer trophies?)
it tells me there is DLC but ive never seen anything on the PSN store?

epmode

This is a wonderful port. Full resolution support in 2D stuff isn't as common as it should but but it works very nicely here! Also also, not only does it support a 360 pad natively but it even allows you to change the button config. Again, not as common as it should be! Massively improved load times too.

Thanks, Capy!

epmode

Hello?

Ubisoft's DELAY ALL PC PORTS policy is miserable and all but a great effort like this deserves more than three posts since launch! And it helps that the game is legitimately brilliant!

..maybe if the thread title mentioned the PC launch? It's getting buried in the Steam thread, what with the Sega sale.

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
Hello?

Ubisoft's DELAY ALL PC PORTS policy is miserable and all but a great effort like this deserves more than three posts since launch! And it helps that the game is legitimately brilliant!

..maybe if the thread title mentioned the PC launch? It's getting buried in the Steam thread, what with the Sega sale.

I doubt it, but we can try! I picked it up and it's very nice on the eyes, 16:10 HD support, not an aliased pixel to be seen anywhere.

I don't know what I was expecting the gameplay to be like exactly, but it was a bit of a surprise, a good one. Plays like a puzzle game, matching groups of units in columns to attack vs positioning them for defense, using a limited number of moves per round.

Just wish it auto saved your progress at checkpoints, seems awkward given the game's structure to rely on manual saves to me.

mrbagdt

Minsc said:
I doubt it, but we can try! I picked it up and it's very nice on the eyes, 16:10 HD support, not an aliased pixel to be seen anywhere.

I don't know what I was expecting the gameplay to be like exactly, but it was a bit of a surprise, a good one. Plays like a puzzle game, matching groups of units in columns to attack vs positioning them for defense, using a limited number of moves per round.

Just wish it auto saved your progress at checkpoints, seems awkward given the game's structure to rely on manual saves to me.
the good thing about the manual saves is that if you go through some horrible battle and lose a lot of your champions, you can simply quit and reload before that battle and see if you can do better. i found myself doing that occasionally.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
One would think that you would drop the 'just one more game' mentality on a game you have beaten before, but here I am 4:30 in the morning. ;)
Nice work with the port Cappy. Was worried with it following suit of other recent Ubi PC titles, but it's great.

Haven't tried online yet. I'm curious how I stand considering I haven't faced another human player.

Shai-Tan

Banned
mrbagdt said:
the good thing about the manual saves is that if you go through some horrible battle and lose a lot of your champions, you can simply quit and reload before that battle and see if you can do better. i found myself doing that occasionally.

It sucks when you play for 3 hours then forget to save before quitting though :{

Haven't played the console version but I bought this for pc and I am getting my ass handed to me buy the necromancer dude in the cave at the start of the game.

Any tips?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Are the load times tolerable on the 360 version or is the PC port the only way to go? I have a ton of MS moon money I need to unload and there's a sale next week.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
GhostRidah said:
Haven't played the console version but I bought this for pc and I am getting my ass handed to me buy the necromancer dude in the cave at the start of the game.

Any tips?
Continue the main story a bit more and level up some. A good amount of the side quest characters have a higher level than you if you go straight to them as soon as they pop up.

You will receive more units (to a point) after leveling up, as well as stronger units, walls, and more HP in general.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SapientWolf said:
Are the load times tolerable on the 360 version or is the PC port the only way to go? I have a ton of MS moon money I need to unload and there's a sale next week.

I couldn't play past the first chapter on 360, the load times drove me fucking crazy.

KuroNeeko

For people who own both PC and the console versions of the game - have you noticed any balance changes or is that something that is coming along later with the DLC?

Minsc

Gold Member
I guess I should have expected it, but the homage given to the good ol' Heroes of Might and Magic series is great! It's interesting seeing such a drastically different rendition of all the units I've spent countless hours playing in HoM&M 2 & 3. Really enjoying this game, on the second chapter now.

No big complaints so far, everything is pretty amazing and feels right at home. Some parts are a bit weak (UI is a little awkward, you have to click an awful lot to resume a game - should just be a resume button, map-puzzle segments are pretty uninspired, doesn't seem to be a way to view individual units str/def in battle), but the core game is full of strategy and has the "one more battle" in full swing shortly after the tutorials. There's even a few nice surprises in the way they mix up the various kinds of battles you fight too.

I'll definitely echo those that have had good things to say about this game and recommend it myself in the future, for $15, this game feels like a steal!

man i was trying to start playing this again but i had to get a new Xbox since i last played.. i transferred my save and i redownloaded the game, but every time i hit Campaign it starts a new game.

am i missing something or am i boned

...doesn't seem to be a way to view individual units str/def in battle
Holding shift brings up an overlay with each indivdual units defensive stat. Had to find out for myself since the game doesn't tell you.

mrbagdt

YianGaruga said:
Holding shift brings up an overlay with each indivdual units defensive stat. Had to find out for myself since the game doesn't tell you.
yea, this is what you have to use. one other thing that infuriated me for a long long time is that it never tells you EXACTLY what everything does if you just wanted to number crunch. is it better to fuse two units together or to link them? what is the bonus for linking two or more units together? how many combos do you have to do to completely fill your magic bar? how does this vary from person to person? none of these things are ever explained via CAPY, but you can look around and find some guides that people have made themselves to try to fill those holes. the fact that people had to try and figure that out themselves instead of having it out in the open kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Card Boy

Banned
Just played online on PC, was winning against a random when he decides to 'rage quit' by afking and trying to force me to quit. Needless to say i have 1 disconnect now.

Why isn't there like a 1 minute timer between turns when playing online? Also whats the deal with console ports and no text chat? You disappoint me Cappy. Your lucky the SP is good.

Pre-ordered the game and finally got around to playing it last night to check it out. Played until 2:00 AM. Still in the starting area but game is pretty addicting.

Gez said:
Just played online on PC, was winning against a random when he decides to 'rage quit' by afking and trying to force me to quit. Needless to say i have 1 disconnect now.

Why isn't there like a 1 minute timer between turns when playing online? Also whats the deal with console ports and no text chat? You disappoint me Cappy. Your lucky the SP is good.
The host can choose to have a turn timer. Just look for games that have that enabled, or host your own room with a timer. The options right there in front of you :)

mrbagdt said:
yea, this is what you have to use. one other thing that infuriated me for a long long time is that it never tells you EXACTLY what everything does if you just wanted to number crunch. is it better to fuse two units together or to link them? what is the bonus for linking two or more units together? how many combos do you have to do to completely fill your magic bar? how does this vary from person to person? none of these things are ever explained via CAPY, but you can look around and find some guides that people have made themselves to try to fill those holes. the fact that people had to try and figure that out themselves instead of having it out in the open kind of rubs me the wrong way.
I'm not sure how a game not telling you every single variable is so bad... The type of information you want would require an entirely new screen full of text at all times during battle. Sure, some ultra-hardcore players want to stat-crunch (which you can do a heck of a lot of with the cheatsheet overlay), but the amount of info you want displayed is pretty overwhelming and would hinder the game.
Either way, i believe that once you play for a bit, get used to your loadouts, get a few strats in play, you can get a feel for it. But that's just IMO of course.

KuroNeeko said:
We released an update for PSN (will be hitting XBLA momentarily) that is included in Steam. It includes a balance patch across all MP, such as nerfing Varkas, altering the values of some artifacts, and much more.

As for first turn, it's meaningless in the game. no reason to change it. Blind picking i agree would be nice, and we looked into it, but the change wasn't simple/safe so we left it open. With the balance changes i believe there's no longer a clear best hero, so counter-picking became a much smaller issue.

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks for the info about shift YianGaruga, I don't really use the keyboard at all while playing, didn't think to try it. Guess if I had used a gamepad instead of the mouse maybe I'd have accidently pushed a button that brought it up. Should have been mentioned in a tutorial early on.

mrbagdt said:

This is true, but doesn't bother me a whole lot. You pick up a feel for it rather quick, fusing units is a whole lot stronger than linking since it focuses the attack in one lane, allowing for less resistance. The game does at least have tutorials that go over the concepts, and explains the linking bonus grows stronger for each additional link. Generally I've never felt overly threatened from linked attacks like I do from fused ones. Fuse two dragons together, and well, good luck to anything that's in their path!

Lyphen said:
Took so damn long to get on PC that I figure I'll just wait for the holiday sale.

It wasn't that long once it got announced though, just a long wait for the initial announcement. This is one of those games that when you buy it for $5 on sale, it will undoubtedly be your top purchase of the entire sale, and you'll almost wish you paid more for it. :)

Card Boy

Banned
Cromulent_Word said:
The host can choose to have a turn timer. Just look for games that have that enabled, or host your own room with a timer. The options right there in front of you :)

Serves me right for clicking Quick-match lol. Any word on adding in text chat?

I am enjoying the SP alot though, looks amazing on PC.

KuroNeeko

Cromulent_Word said:
We released an update for PSN (will be hitting XBLA momentarily) that is included in Steam. It includes a balance patch across all MP, such as nerfing Varkas, altering the values of some artifacts, and much more.

Thank you for the update. Just when I thought I could safely start playing something new, this new content will probably suck my household in for another few months. :D

Cromulent_Word said:
As for first turn, it's meaningless in the game. no reason to change it. Blind picking i agree would be nice, and we looked into it, but the change wasn't simple/safe so we left it open. With the balance changes i believe there's no longer a clear best hero, so counter-picking became a much smaller issue.

Nice to hear about some of those changes. I've read your stance on going first earlier in the thread but I'm going to have to disagree for now. The power to go first means that you have initiative, or in this case, the power to make things happen. If you're playing a mirror match (say Aiden with Pit F(r)iends) and you both have the ability to charge your PF in one turn - then your PF will come out before your opponents. If it's a straight up clash, then his PF will die (leaving a pile of ash and flame and reducing his stock by 1) and yours will get through for damage. So your opponent is forced into a defensive position simply by the power of your initiative. It's the same in Chess and Go, which is why the weaker player is usually given the ability to go first. (Of course Chess compensates for this by switching sides between each match and Go gives the Black player additional pieces on the board.)

The ability to go first and force things to happen is what makes the first turn so important. Luck will go a long way into determining how much you'll be able to do. In some cases, (bad) luck will completely negate your initiative. However, if all things are equal - the person who goes first will have the advantage. Whether or not he can keep that advantage will be determined by the luck and skill of both players.

Anyway, really excited for this DLC and even if there were NO balance changes, I'd still be completely satisfied with my initial purchase. Thanks for creating my household's GOTY.

mrbagdt

Minsc said:
This is true, but doesn't bother me a whole lot. You pick up a feel for it rather quick, fusing units is a whole lot stronger than linking since it focuses the attack in one lane, allowing for less resistance. The game does at least have tutorials that go over the concepts, and explains the linking bonus grows stronger for each additional link. Generally I've never felt overly threatened from linked attacks like I do from fused ones. Fuse two dragons together, and well, good luck to anything that's in their path!
i'm the opposite, i feel much more threatened by linking. i mean, if you can fuse easily then it can be useful, but it is fairly difficult to do since there must be no walls in front of the units you are trying to fuse. because of this, i tend to see a lot more people focusing on linking attacks with the champion attacks and very rarely see fusing. i think im around 350-400 matches now? the most common strat i find is charging a champion, spend the next 3-4 turns building walls and preparing to link, then linking 2-3 formations with your champion (which can be total luck of the draw depending on what reinforcements you get). that moves an attack from say 110dmg up to 140-160 rather easily and is much more do-able than trying to fuse. in the end, your line attacks rarely accomplish much other than the potential to link to a champion.

cromulent ward said:
I'm not sure how a game not telling you every single variable is so bad... The type of information you want would require an entirely new screen full of text at all times during battle. Sure, some ultra-hardcore players want to stat-crunch (which you can do a heck of a lot of with the cheatsheet overlay), but the amount of info you want displayed is pretty overwhelming and would hinder the game.
Either way, i believe that once you play for a bit, get used to your loadouts, get a few strats in play, you can get a feel for it. But that's just IMO of course.
i wouldnt want every variable to be on the game screen, i would just like the info to exist somewhere, either in a FAQ on the capy/ubisoft site or in some help section in the game. saying 'linked units get an attack bonus' is so vague that it annoys my number crunching mind. instead i am left to scrolling through gameFAQs to see statements such as 'heroes have 100 mana, gain 6 mana per combo and 3 mana per turn passed (to be confirmed)'. i know that statement is not true but i have no idea what the real answer is.

thats great news about the balance changes. can you tell us what was actually changed, or just figure it out in game?

Rolf NB

The campaign is amazing. I'm finding it super hard to put the game down. Five stars, well done Capy!

... the load times are kind of long though (on console).

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to get this on the current XBLA sale or wait for the PC sale, and I had a couple of questions that would help me decide.

1. Is this the type of game that could run on a semi capable netbook? My netbook had 2GB of RAM and can run EUIII and games like that. It would be a point in favor of the PC version if I could use it on that as well.

2. How is local multiplayer? Most reviews online seem to just touch on the singleplayer and a bit of the online mode. The only game that my wife plays with me is Puzzle Fighter HD, and I've been on the lookout for a while for something to replace the local competitive puzzler itch. This would be a plus for the 360 version as I have the controllers and whatnot more handy for playing this local with 2+ players.

mrbagdt

TheFightingFish said:
2. How is local multiplayer? Most reviews online seem to just touch on the singleplayer and a bit of the online mode. The only game that my wife plays with me is Puzzle Fighter HD, and I've been on the lookout for a while for something to replace the local competitive puzzler itch. This would be a plus for the 360 version as I have the controllers and whatnot more handy for playing this local with 2+ players.
my wife and i play the local multiplayer all the time. its good in my opinion.

Rolf NB

Finished the campaign today. Something crazy above 40 hours. Though I did grind a bit in act 2 to get a certain trophy, and again in the final act because I felt I needed it to beat a boss (and I was wrong!).

Speaking of which, the final act is total bullshit. Sorry, but fighting these fights is just stalemate central, nothing ever happens. 10 minutes is a good length for a single "battle", and for most of the campaign, that's what you get. Enter last act, and you might be looking at 30 minutes, or even 45 minutes of back and forth, nobody doing anything but piddly damage. Or none. Because mana shield.

It's the units. Gremlins suck the fun out of the game because they are totally overpowered defensively as soon as they charge, they nuke opposing chargers easily, but they just don't deal damage to the hero. So stuff keeps crumbling and exploding all around, but the heroes live forever. Djinns literally freezing entire columns doesn't particularly help the pace either. And to top it off, the special wall ability there makes all walls crazy strong, on both sides. So there's even less chances to deal hero damage.

That whole act really was a chore and left a bad aftertaste. Which is a goddamn shame because everything before that was brilliant, fast paced and fun.

Rolf NB

24FrameDaVinci said:
Agreed, I'm still suck on the shitty final boss.
Okay, so, final boss strategy.

I became part of the problem and brought gremlins only. Lvl 5 of course, and hero level 10. The rationale for not bringing in champions is that they need 4 vertical spaces to charge, and you won't have 4 vertical spaces. Gremlins can do 14 damage to the hands, and 8 damage to the body in 2 turns. The other basic units just can't compete with that.
Do equip the mana shield. There's no other worthwhile artifact in that chapter anyway.

Build walls until you have three full rows. The more the merrier of course, but you need a few columns with 3 open spaces to place attack formations. You can form attacks wherever and whenever you want, except for the leftmost and rightmost columns. You should only build an attack formation there if a hand is hovering there and charging, with the charge counter at 3. Never otherwise. It's not worth missing. An attack formation placed to miss is 3 less units you can get as reinforcements, and as most of your board population will be consumed by your walls, you'll be scrounging all the time.

Try to hit each hand once before it fires. I.e. place an attack formation when the charge counter is at 3 turns. And hopefully hit the other with a random shot placed before the hand even moved there. Direct any remaining offense to the main body.

Never build attack formations or leave individual units to absorb hand damage. This will increase the main body's charge and make it harder for you. Better to build a wall instead, or to even let the damage through (to be soaked up by your mana shield).

If it looks like hands and body might fire on the same turn (eg 80 body charge, 3 turns on the hands), forget about attacking and go all out on walls.
Your spell is the only thing that can reduce the main body's charge. If your walls are okayish, or even if they aren't, you can use this to delay the main body's attack and probably weaken at least one hand.

This strategy is quite safe. As long as you're a bit conservative with your lightning strikes, the mana shield will get you through quite a few turns of bad luck. I finished with above 80 health.
The damage you can deal with gremlins requires 50 hits to the body though. Maybe "only" 30 if you can get in a couple good lightning strikes. So expect this fight to last for about an hour.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Loving the game on 360 so far, addictive strategy -- I don't even mind losing from time to time and getting CHAMPION units off is EPIC! :) Up to the third campaign now, so there's five in total eh? Coming up to 10 hours total time played so far

ShaneB

Started playing this a couple days ago finally. Really loving it so far, seemed hard at first, but after getting a grasp on things, the game is flowing a lot more smoothly. Looks like I'm nearing the end of the first campaign and it's been a blast so far, and I love the art style and colourful graphics.

Hit up multiplayer for a match as well, and it seemed far too long winded to be a go-to mode. Although I did see the hotseat option, perhaps that remedies that.

Just completed the game. It was fun and looked great running in 1080p@120fps. It was amazing how smooth it was. People who think that there's no difference between 60 fps and 120fps have probably never played a game in 120fps or they are the same crazy people who think that that there's no difference between 720p and anything over it. It took a bit over 30 hours to complete.
I had some problems with the final boss at first but I just grinded until my party was max lvl and then beat him on my second try.

Tizoc

This game should've had 1000 points/Platinum lol.
OK I need some serious help in one of the final battles
I'm at Godric vs. Aidan, HOW CAN I BEAT THIS ANNOYING PRICK?!

Rolf NB

Tizoc said:
This game should've had 1000 points/Platinum lol.
OK I need some serious help in one of the final battles
I'm at Godric vs. Aidan, HOW CAN I BEAT THIS ANNOYING PRICK?!
Don't you still have the
King's Crown
in your inventory to make the fight totally lopsided?

Tizoc

Rolf NB said:
Don't you still have the
King's Crown
in your inventory to make the fight totally lopsided?
I do, but I still get my ass handed to me ;.;
What units should I use? I have all 8 at max levels.

Top Bottom