• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD |OT| - Bears Go To Battle In HD

mrbagdt

back online playing people! woohoo!

unfortunately, it appears that my stats for leveling up never get saved. guess its just not goig to work right now or something.

also, is there an option to where i can always play from the bottom? i have a hard enough time getting my wife to ever try my puzzle games, but when it switches from top to bottom she gets all confused. didnt know if there was an option to do this somewhere, i didnt see it.

AAK

Finally played online after beating the campaign!

Got thrashed ^_^

PSN ID is AAK0924 if anyone is interested in playing against me.

I really feel like I cheated the single player campaign though. I just found the cheapest ways to use abuse my hero spells while using barely any strategy with the respective units.

Edgeward

I do not like chapter 2, the units feel weaker compared to the elves and the enemies are more relentless and usually higher leveled early on.

Nose Master

Edgeward said:
I do not like chapter 2, the units feel weaker compared to the elves and the enemies are more relentless and usually high leveled early on.

Yeah, it definitely sucks not having a one turn charge soldier to take out elites / champions asap. I just ended up doing more fusing in that chapter than linking, like in the elven one.

PS: Spearmen. I've seen the light.

AAK

Edgeward said:
I do not like chapter 2, the units feel weaker compared to the elves and the enemies are more relentless and usually higher leveled early on.

Yeah, the beginning of the griffin empire was the hardest by far in the game. I did so much grinding then.

But when I got the swordmaster, it was no contest :D

maomaoIYP

A Huge Battleship said:
So I used one of my 48 hour cards I had lying around and spent some time online. Lost my first two matches due to Ghosts being ineffective compared to basically any champion, which made me sad because I love them as units. Then started using a Markal / 3x Zombie / Death Knight / Bone Dragon / Cursed Shield setup and won every match, even against LV 50+ players who were clearly better than me. Not really sure how I feel about that.

Mixed it up a little with some other factions along the way and had some really close matches (one where I was saved a turn before certain death thanks to Aidan's spell doing nearly 100 damage). Ended up 12-4 with a 7 streak still going.

Funnily enough, I never saw a Varkas actually get to use Holy Charge on anything.

I prefer using Ghosts as fast offensive units when going up against champions. Hit the champion a few times using linked Ghosts, then use walls to soak up the remaining damage.

Level isn't that much of an indication of skill online, luckily. Saw a couple of 60+ dudes with way more losses than wins.

Varkas with the Crown of Elrath gets Holy Charge easily. If you have 2 angels and charging, it's easy to holy charge them both, and after the 1st angel hits, holy charge the 2nd angel again.

Nose Master

What are the ores / crystals used for? I had like 100ish in the elven campaign, and am racking them up in the second one as well.

Gaspode_T

They're used for buying more units after you lose some units in battle. If you grind up a lot you will end up with way more than you will ever need.

Finished the campaign, epic final battle FTW! It's a really long ass game but worth playing through, there are some interesting twists thrown in here and there to keep things interesting. Finding all the artifacts in the last stage is kind of tricky, just as a warning save before you head off to final fight just in case you need to get the trophy/achievement later. Just check the # of artifacts you have, it should be 10 per campaign.

Nose Master

I just noticed that you needed them for buying elites (and not just gold) after sending that.

First puzzle battle in Campaign 2:
What? The angels nor the spearmen are strong enough to break through the walls, how is this possible? The knight is easy, but I have no idea how to get enough attack to get to the other ones.

I realized you can delete/wall to form a combo of three grunts behind elites to charge both the elite's and the group of three, but that still leaves me a yellow soldier and turn short for the left angel. I'm assuming it has to do with making a wall with the white knights, but I'm not seeing it.

Got it. The puzzle battles are definitely helping me spot patterns for combos.

Ikkarus

Does anyone know if a patch is coming to fix the stats for multiplayer?

Kind of gutted I spent a few hours on it last night only for me to turn it on today to see all of my stats wiped.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Couldn't be bothered waiting for a sale that might never come. Bought this and sunk 3 hours into it in the blink of an eye. Shame about all the loading, but man the gameplay is brilliant.

Loving the presentation, sound and graphics are just right for this kind of game. None of that 'ugly cos it's a puzzle game' crap that puzzle quest and other matchs 3s serve up.

Looking forward to playing more, just hope it doesn't get too hard for me too quickly. I've never really been good at puzzlers. But the act it's turn based as opposed to real time should help.

Once again GAF sells me on a winner. Possibly my fave XBLA title besides portal.

Played online for the first time yesterday, and I managed to get Level 4 after 6 matches, but today my stats seems to have been erased, because my level was 1 again.

If this continues, it will hard to get the Level 10 trophy...

maomaoIYP

I think I've had my fill of the MP.

Off the top of my head, there's only 2 setups where you're pretty much gonna win unless you've got some disastrous luck. And the only effective way to counter these 2 setups.....is to use them against the user. It's hardly balanced, and those high ranked dudes with W/L over 4 seem to use these exclusively.

mrbagdt

maomaoIYP said:

Off the top of my head, there's only 2 setups where you're pretty much gonna win unless you've got some disastrous luck. And the only effective way to counter these 2 setups.....is to use them against the user. It's hardly balanced, and those high ranked dudes with W/L over 4 seem to use these exclusively.
playing online with someone using a 'normal' setup is kinda fun, but im the same as you, i ran into a guy who just used two set-ups over and over and i just couldnt compete.

FoxSpirit

maomaoIYP said:

Which ones?

maomaoIYP said:

there's definitely more than 2 setups. Sure, there are some that are stronger than others, but the game has 10 heroes & 40 units, and i can guarantee that certain combinations of those plus smart play will beat the 2 setups you're discussing.

As for the PSN-only stat issue, we're working w/ sony to resolve it. we've been waiting on a fix for a while due to the outage, but we think we know the issue and how to resolve. If this is not the case, we'll find another solution.

maomaoIYP

FoxSpirit said:
Which ones?

Varkas, 3x archers, angel, crown of elrath
Archers for the 2 turn attack, but only use them for walls and linking with the angels. By the time you have 2 angels charging on the board, it's pretty much game over. You can holy charge them both before the first angel attacks, and then holy charge the 2nd angel a 2nd time for an easy ~300 damage. Both angels also heal each other, so there's no real way to kill them off.

I don't think I've ever beat this setup without using Varkas.

Fiona, 3x skeleton, death knight, spider cape
Skeletons for the higher damage from a 2 turn attack, use them for walls or to block attacking units that your walls cannot cover. Charge the death knight as priority, because once it's up, it deals 9 damage across the board to charging enemy units per turn. Once your 2nd death knight is up, it's next to impossible for the enemy to get any sort of offense (besides a champion) going. And even then, each death knight will do ~150+ damage. Use the spell for mop up if the opponent survives the 1st death knight.

The only way I've ever managed to beat this set up without using Fiona as well is to have Anwen, 3x archers, druids, unicorn, boost boots. But requires that you kill off Fiona's death knight with the archers right from the start, and that's not easy at all.

There's one more setup involving Cyrus, it's much less used than these 2 because it's much easier to beat, but it's still pretty much top tier.

mrbagdt said:
playing online with someone using a 'normal' setup is kinda fun, but im the same as you, i ran into a guy who just used two set-ups over and over and i just couldnt compete.
Yeah I totally agree. Anwen's my favourite, and right after I pick her, my opponent goes for Varkas and I know it's game over.

sleepykyo

maomaoIYP said:

With or without items? I was always wondering if the additions of items balanced it out.

Kafel

Banned
(please take advantage of the update to only give one action point to the player who begins the battle, the host is too powerful)

And if you wonder who's bought your Premium Theme, it was me.

edit : pics for GAF :

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Looks like someone is going to be killed in his sleep.

maomaoIYP

Kafel said:
(please take advantage of the update to only give one action point to the player who begins the battle, the host is too powerful)

I think it'll be better to implement randomly deciding who gets to go first with both sides not being able to see which character the opponent had chosen, or making the 'Y' press always permanent, and the first person to lock in their character choice gets to go first.

maomaoIYP said:
I think it'll be better to implement randomly deciding who gets to go first with both sides not being able to see which character the opponent had chosen, or making the 'Y' press always permanent, and the first person to lock in their character choice gets to go first.
we're not going to change the '2 turns to the opener' because we don't at all believe it's a true advantage. It's like saying going first in chess is an advantage - it isn't. It means your opponent plays their hand first, and you get to decide how to react. Sure, if you get an AMAZING random layout and you can chain a ton to get 3 free moves OR you just so happen to get a champion with 3 of the 4 cores behind it... but that can happen to either side. Bottom line is i don't think going first is a real advantage.

Further, we wont be locking character selection. We've talked about making it blind, so you don't know who is choosing who, but even that we likely wont do.

In the end, our goal is to ensure the game is as balanced as possible, so good strategy wins. Since there are a couple elements that are slightly better if played correctly, our goal will be to... look at it...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Bit confused. Finished the first bit of the game with the elf Anwen is it? Anyway I'm not max level and some of my units aren't either. I tried going back in and there doesn't seem to be much left to do. Done all bounties and puzzles. Is there like a checklist or percentage complete of things to do in each area? Am I supposed to just grind somehow to get the last few XP? Or is that it? I can never max out?

Also getting back to the map selection screen was impossible unless I quit, that was a bit annoying.

kassatsu

Banned
kaizoku said:
Bit confused. Finished the first bit of the game with the elf Anwen is it? Anyway I'm not max level and some of my units aren't either. I tried going back in and there doesn't seem to be much left to do. Done all bounties and puzzles. Is there like a checklist or percentage complete of things to do in each area? Am I supposed to just grind somehow to get the last few XP? Or is that it? I can never max out?

Also getting back to the map selection screen was impossible unless I quit, that was a bit annoying.
you can grind in the caves.

boingball

Cromulent_Word said:
we're not going to change the '2 turns to the opener' because we don't at all believe it's a true advantage. It's like saying going first in chess is an advantage - it isn't. It means your opponent plays their hand first, and you get to decide how to react. Sure, if you get an AMAZING random layout and you can chain a ton to get 3 free moves OR you just so happen to get a champion with 3 of the 4 cores behind it... but that can happen to either side. Bottom line is i don't think going first is a real advantage.

Further, we wont be locking character selection. We've talked about making it blind, so you don't know who is choosing who, but even that we likely wont do.

In the end, our goal is to ensure the game is as balanced as possible, so good strategy wins. Since there are a couple elements that are slightly better if played correctly, our goal will be to... look at it...

After playing a couple of MP now that PSN is back I have to say that making the character selection blind is a wise thing to do. I am going in to have some fun, but 95% of the people are going in to win and just sit back and wait what I select and then select one of the two winning strategies. I will play until I get to lv 10 to get my trophy and then put the game away.

I am not critizing your game, it is awesome value for the amount of content, player for almost 40hours now. But this game has again confirmed my opinion that MP is no fun (unless you play with friends).

mrbagdt

boingball said:
After playing a couple of MP now that PSN is back I have to say that making the character selection blind is a wise thing to do. I am going in to have some fun, but 95% of the people are going in to win and just sit back and wait what I select and then select one of the two winning strategies. I will play until I get to lv 10 to get my trophy and then put the game away.

I am not critizing your game, it is awesome value for the amount of content, player for almost 40hours now. But this game has again confirmed my opinion that MP is no fun (unless you play with friends).

I'm still a little unsure if character selection makes that big of a difference. When I have been beaten it's usually been by 'luck of the draw' to a certain extent. That's simply part of the game, however, so I can't say that makes anything that unbalanced. I have turned off artifacts because I think that can help make things slightly more balanced, but maybe I am wrong. I must have not played enough to get a deep understanding of some tactics. My main focus now is to start a champion, and then focus on building a row of guys behind him on each side of the same color so they will all link together. The bonus for linking on champions is a big difference- is it +25%?

My wife likes to play the game and she will play people online sometimes (the other user names always confuse her; 'BOOBMONSTER? This guys player name is seriously BOOBMONSTER?') and varies between winning and getting stomped. The other day she had someone start sending her messages during the game asking if she was a girl and trying to add her as a friend. I dont know how someone could tell that you were a girl by your playstyle, but apparently they could!

Miletius

mrbagdt said:
I'm still a little unsure if character selection makes that big of a difference. When I have been beaten it's usually been by 'luck of the draw' to a certain extent. That's simply part of the game, however, so I can't say that makes anything that unbalanced. I have turned off artifacts because I think that can help make things slightly more balanced, but maybe I am wrong. I must have not played enough to get a deep understanding of some tactics. My main focus now is to start a champion, and then focus on building a row of guys behind him on each side of the same color so they will all link together. The bonus for linking on champions is a big difference- is it +25%?

My wife likes to play the game and she will play people online sometimes (the other user names always confuse her; 'BOOBMONSTER? This guys player name is seriously BOOBMONSTER?') and varies between winning and getting stomped. The other day she had someone start sending her messages during the game asking if she was a girl and trying to add her as a friend. I dont know how someone could tell that you were a girl by your playstyle, but apparently they could!

I've finally gotten around to multi and it's been fun. I feel like artifacts open up a lot more choices in units so I prefer it, but of course it also opens up some straight up broken combos as well. I feel like some unit types (Druids, Zombies, Djinni) are reliant on having the proper artifacts to back them up. I'm really liking Necropolis with 3x Zombies, and Ghosts and DK's backing them up. I'm wondering if there's an effective Necropolis build without DK's though, it seems that Necro doesn't have the ability to do enough damage to kill Champions without them. I'm currently working on figuring out a really effective Academy combo. So far in Artifact Games I've been relying on Djinni (with Sash). Gremlins seemed like a good choice for my core unit but their weakness means I just don't get enough hero damage out.

maomaoIYP

mrbagdt said:

I've started playing without artifacts as well, it definitely makes the game much more balanced. More characters are viable, Varkas is still top tier, but can be beaten with the correct strategy coupled with a little luck.

Character selection matters simply because 1) with artifacts on, some characters are almost unbeatable, and 2) choosing your character after your opponent allows you to try and predict what units your opponent is likely to pick, thus allowing you to pick your units to counter their likely strategy.

The 2nd point is especially important if you're not the host, because you start later, and your unit choices will be based on whether you want to use faster units to hit your opponent before theirs hit, or slower ones to soak up the damage for a counter attack.

mrbagdt

its annoying that, if i join someones game, i cannot see their 'options' in the game. are there artifacts? is there a timer? i cannot see any of that until the game starts as far as i know. more of a reason to just keep hosting my own games.

mrbagdt said:
its annoying that, if i join someones game, i cannot see their 'options' in the game. are there artifacts? is there a timer? i cannot see any of that until the game starts as far as i know. more of a reason to just keep hosting my own games.
there are icons in the lobby to the right of the host name that tell you. One is an artifact-looking thing, the other is a clock.

ALSO, PS3 CLASH PLAYERS PLEASE HELP US OUT...

Last week Sony helped us resolve an issue with the PS3 leaderboards, where PSN was only displaying 1000 entries on the leaderboard. We believe this is the cause of the annoying "MP Stat Reset" issue people were seeing. Anyone who saw this bug, is it still happening? Anyone have their stats reset since last friday-ish?

Thanks for the help pals.

mrbagdt

Cromulent_Word said:
there are icons in the lobby to the right of the host name that tell you. One is an artifact-looking thing, the other is a clock.

ALSO, PS3 CLASH PLAYERS PLEASE HELP US OUT...

Last week Sony helped us resolve an issue with the PS3 leaderboards, where PSN was only displaying 1000 entries on the leaderboard. We believe this is the cause of the annoying "MP Stat Reset" issue people were seeing. Anyone who saw this bug, is it still happening? Anyone have their stats reset since last friday-ish?

Thanks for the help pals.
my stats have been saving since it got fixed last week. its kinda humorous for me because my wife plays during the day (woohoo summer) while im at work and tells me she is confused because 'i keep losing but my level keeps going up'.

mrbagdt said:
my stats have been saving since it got fixed last week. its kinda humorous for me because my wife plays during the day (woohoo summer) while im at work and tells me she is confused because 'i keep losing but my level keeps going up'.
Thanks for the update. From what we can tell, solving the leaderboard cutoff also solved the stat reset issue, which we prayed it would :)

maomaoIYP

Miletius said:
I've finally gotten around to multi and it's been fun. I feel like artifacts open up a lot more choices in units so I prefer it, but of course it also opens up some straight up broken combos as well. I feel like some unit types (Druids, Zombies, Djinni) are reliant on having the proper artifacts to back them up. I'm really liking Necropolis with 3x Zombies, and Ghosts and DK's backing them up. I'm wondering if there's an effective Necropolis build without DK's though, it seems that Necro doesn't have the ability to do enough damage to kill Champions without them. I'm currently working on figuring out a really effective Academy combo. So far in Artifact Games I've been relying on Djinni (with Sash). Gremlins seemed like a good choice for my core unit but their weakness means I just don't get enough hero damage out.

I feel that the game is meant to be played with artifacts, but with the current state of imbalance, it's just less frustrating to play without them than to lose repeatedly to a Fiona/DK/spider cloak combo.

Try this for Academy. Cyrus, Gremlins x3, Rakshasa, Absorb Circlet. Rakshasa is your main damage dealer. Wall everything else up, then delete the excess walls for free MP and blash away with your spell. This can be very easily beaten by someone using Anwen/Findan using Deer/Deer Antlers, but in almost 300 games I've seen only one person use that.

Wow guys. I went to a friend's house to visit this afternoon and he was watching Stargate. I'm not really into it and he was going to leave shortly, so I asked if he had anything around to run a few rounds (normally means Third Strike) and he whipped out this absolute fuckin' gem.

Loving this game, wish I had known about it sooner. Anyone want to add my live tag and play some matches later once I get used to the game a bit?

Miletius

maomaoIYP said:
I feel that the game is meant to be played with artifacts, but with the current state of imbalance, it's just less frustrating to play without them than to lose repeatedly to a Fiona/DK/spider cloak combo.

Try this for Academy. Cyrus, Gremlins x3, Rakshasa, Absorb Circlet. Rakshasa is your main damage dealer. Wall everything else up, then delete the excess walls for free MP and blash away with your spell. This can be very easily beaten by someone using Anwen/Findan using Deer/Deer Antlers, but in almost 300 games I've seen only one person use that.

Thanks! I gave the Academy build a shot and it worked like a charm. I Cyrus is a beast at taking out Champions, that staff is really nice, and the ability to take down walls to summon it at will is sweet.

Ricker

I don`t understand the Trent tree battle,the first time you meet them...is it like the puzzles with more turns or what...I don`t even come close to beating the 2 trees...and I can`t figure out any of the puzzles so far hehe...can you choose your group before hand or it`s random? maybe I have the wrong guys...

Miletius

Ricker said:
I don`t understand the Trent tree battle,the first time you meet them...is it like the puzzles with more turns or what...I don`t even come close to beating the 2 trees...and I can`t figure out any of the puzzles so far hehe...can you choose your group before hand or it`s random? maybe I have the wrong guys...

For the Treants I believe you just need to survive their attacks. You can do this by either outright killing them, weakening them enough that you survive, or by walling yourself in. For the puzzles you can't choose who you are bringing in to them -- they are all solvable with just the units you are given. There are a couple of really tricky ones.

I played a little tonight, but ran into a bunch of Necropolis with Cursed Shield Combos. Boo Cursed Shield!

Interestingly enough I saw somebody use Green Dragon's ability to clear two rows and get a whole bunch of free hits. Was a pretty neat strategy.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well, PSN finally up here in Japan so just like I promised I whipped this game out first (actually my wife played Critter Crunch first). Found a game instantly, and won! Was a close one too. Haven't played this game since PSN first went down so it's nice to come back to it.

Kafel

Banned
The last achievement missing is "complete all quests" when, in fact, I did

I've read something about a bug because I've bought CoH in-game. Is this it? Is a fix planned? 37 hours in the campaign btw.

I think I found a fun hobby in this game.

Its hosting games online with no items allowed and seeing who chooses just Death Knights and Skeletons and leaves after one game.

I'm really enjoying the online alot more without items, its alot more of a fair and level playing field and I've had alot more close games then I've had with items which can just be too unbalanced for normal play.

AAK

Kafel said:

I've read something about a bug because I've bought CoH in-game. Is this it? Is a fix planned? 37 hours in the campaign btw.

When you load the game it should take you the world map and it should tell you how many quests you have left in each world. (I still have to complete one puzzle). I.e. when you you hover over the Griffon empire campaign, it should tell you how many x/13 quests you've completed. I it's all complete then I'm not sure at all what's required?

maomaoIYP

Kafel said:

If you bought the game and continued off the save you made in the trial version, there is no current 'fix' for it. This is what happened to me.

I know for sure because I played the campaign from scratch again, and I unlocked the achievement from a new save file. 20 hrs in the 2nd playthrough, so it's not THAT bad.

Kafel

Banned
maomaoIYP said:
If you bought the game and continued off the save you made in the trial version, there is no current 'fix' for it. This is what happened to me.

I know for sure because I played the campaign from scratch again, and I unlocked the achievement from a new save file. 20 hrs in the 2nd playthrough, so it's not THAT bad.

Yeah it's what I've read and suspected, thx.

I'm not going to do the whole campaign over again though. It's far too boring and repetitive.

Dizzy-4U

Bought this game on friday and it's addictive as hell. I played for like 7 hours and I'm still on my first character. I can't wait to get home to play some more.

It's easily becoming one of my favorite downloadable games ever. I hope it sells well and I'll be there day 1 for more games from this developer.

AAK

If you have a PS3/Iphone I really recommend Critter Crunch. It's pretty genius in its design and charm as well.

Top Bottom