• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst |OT| Made by creators, not a businessman

Hero

Picked this up and am very satisfied with the purchase for only 9.99! If only MN09 had turned out more like this and less like what we got...

The core gameplay of Gunvolt is pretty solid. Run and gunning feels nice.

Levels are just right length. Bosses are pretty hard at first before you customize your character.

Speaking of which, that's one thing that I think they could improve. The customization is pretty confusing at first because the game doesn't do a good job explaining it at all. One of the first things I got was the charge shot but you have to link it to another loadout's shot, so it's like....why? Still don't get it, really.

nubbe

Picked this up and am very satisfied with the purchase for only 9.99! If only MN09 had turned out more like this and less like what we got...

The core gameplay of Gunvolt is pretty solid. Run and gunning feels nice.

Levels are just right length. Bosses are pretty hard at first before you customize your character.

Speaking of which, that's one thing that I think they could improve. The customization is pretty confusing at first because the game doesn't do a good job explaining it at all. One of the first things I got was the charge shot but you have to link it to another loadout's shot, so it's like....why? Still don't get it, really.

You link charge shoot to another slot so you can spend all your points in the damage.
Your main slot can then be used for perks instead of using points to make damage.

It is pretty neat

Hero

You link charge shoot to another slot so you can spend all your points in the damage.
Your main slot can then be used for perks instead of using points to make damage.

It is pretty neat

Oh, so I should create a loadout with nothing but increased damage and then on the loadout I actually want to use, link it to the damage one? Is the damage modifier unlocked from the start? No sure if I have that.

ibrahima

Banned
Bought this based on the feedback in the thread. Keen to see how it turns out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

jonno394

Even though i made the OT, I've only actually got round to playing this today, and it really is a blast. Playing through as Beck atm. Gameplay is swift, smooth and fun. Completed the first two levels Several times to earn all rewards and to get an S rank.

Well worth the entry fee i feel, but the only issue i can find is the shot customisation section. It clicked with me straight away but i can easily see how this would confuse others.

Enk

makes good threads.
I really enjoyed this. While it doesn't reach the level of the Mega Man series' better entries, it does scratch that itch pretty well. At first I wasn't feeling the "create-a-weapon" as I thought that took away the pleasure of acquiring unique boss powers, but once I started building up options and creating a variety of different types of weapons I really got into it. Because of this experimentation and the no bullshit fluff that can plaque a lot of modern retro games, it makes this game quite re-playable much like the classic series.

It actually made me question whether or not I was remembering Mighty Number 9 correctly, because I partially played a few levels and uninstalled it from my hard drive. So I gave it another shot and NOPE, still didn't like it, then uninstalled it again.

So basically if you liked Mega Man, hated Mighty Number 9, but were on the fence with this because of the sour taste of MN9, I would recommend giving this a shot.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So uh...when exactly does Beck get his air dash?

It's called Aerial Action and it's found in Radio Tower
19904912_10103304281904715_6740224224491468256_n.jpg

19990011_10103304281520485_691715217335001674_n.jpg

colinp

Banned
So uh...when exactly does Beck get his air dash?

Radio Tower level, the Aerial Action treasure. Can't remember where that is in the level but I don't remember it being difficult to find.

Edit: Beaten by a minute! Well played Mr Prime.

PS This game is great fun!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So the 3DS version came out last week, I went ahead and picked it up. It has no 3D and looks like its the exact exact same as the Switch version. The bottom touchscreen literally does nothing.

I'd recommend it if you don't have a Switch, of course!

taoofjord

Man. the more I play the more I adore this game. Can't believe how overlooked this is on GAF. It's for sure one of the best indie games on the Switch. I can't stop replaying the levels to unlock everything and get a higher score. And it feels so good to play.

It's almost everything I wanted in a new Mega Man. The art is still ehhh though and the story is awful, but what do you expect. Plus, $10!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man. the more I play the more I adore this game. Can't believe how overlooked this is on GAF. It's for sure one of the best indie games on the Switch. I can't stop replaying the levels to unlock everything and get a higher score. And it feels so good to play.

It's almost everything I wanted in a new Mega Man. The art is still ehhh though and the story is awful, but what do you expect. Plus, $10!

Totally agree, it's a shame and makes no sense why this isn't out on Steam, PS4, Xbox. This deserves to be played everywhere, not just for niche 3DS and Switch owners.

@MUWANdo

Banned
They brought it to Switch/3DS first because that's where their fans are and where their tech is established, there's nothing conspiratorial about it.

Hugstable

Banned
Totally agree, it's a shame and makes no sense why this isn't out on Steam, PS4, Xbox. This deserves to be played everywhere, not just for niche 3DS and Switch owners.

I agree, more Megaman fans on other consoles/PC need to experience this as well! Hoping it gets ported eventually and doesn't just stay on 3DS/Switch (plus gives me a good reason to support the game some more :D).

Beaten all 8 main robot stages twice each so far, wondering if I wanna do the end game already or get all the Pixel Stickers from the 3rd runs. Been enjoying the way I've been playing the game, each level and boss I first take on with just the standard buster with no upgrades, 2nd run I did with the correct weapon for the boss. Have tried to make each of my weapons unique so far in how they play. Like my Spark attack travels along the floor, my Crystal Bubbles are a shield type weapon kinda like Woodmans Leaf Shield, My Gyro attack is like a Bommerang that returns to me. Loving just how much I can customize each weapon.

It would be great if it was everywhere, but lets not pretend like the 3DS niche and not actually one of the highest selling consoles of all time, haha.

tkscz

Beat it as Beck first a week ago and playing as GV now. The game is great, well balanced, and feels like a hark back to the original Megaman games.

Finally got round to beating the game as Beck. Only thing I didn't enjoy was the boss rematches... its ok when Mega Man does it because bosses can be over with in seconds, but try doing the rematches in this game with custom slot 1... takes bloody forever unless your perfect! Its the only level I've not managed to S Rank yet on normal difficulty, usually I just full combo levels with custom slot 1 but that's not happening this time! So I might have to play with load outs and get a balance between end bonuses and overall performance (thinking a offence and defense buff and that's it.

Loved the final boss battles though, the
copy Beck
boss battle felt very similar to the second fortress boss in Mega Man 1 in overall gameplay, and the final boss felt like a great fusion of Wily and Sigma. Only issue I had with the main villain was his use of memes and his dialogue. I fucking hate that kind of thing and just skipped all his dialogue, I could have done without that crap. The other fortress bosses though rocked, the third fortress boss especially was awesome, felt like it'd stepped right out of a Mega Man game.

Almost got all the challenges done now, it'll probably take another couple of runs to clear all the challenges but S Ranks do seem hilariously easy to get on hard mode. I've been purposely playing bad (dying, breaking my combos) and its still giving me S ranks when I finish! Speaking of hard mode, props to the devs for not taking the crappy way out of a hard mode. Enemy placement remains the same but their attacks are sped up/made more dangerous in subtle ways that improves the difficulty but doesn't make the game unfair at all. Bosses also are made slightly harder, but again not in an unfair way. Damage output seems unchanged, so enemies don't take twice as many hits or anything.

This might actually end up being my surprise of the year. Mighty No 9 wasn't as good as I'd hoped (still enjoyed it regardless though) but this is really what I wanted. Its a decent mix of retro and modern with some great boss battles and once you learn the level layouts its just a blast to play.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finally got round to beating the game as Beck. Only thing I didn't enjoy was the boss rematches... its ok when Mega Man does it because bosses can be over with in seconds, but try doing the rematches in this game with custom slot 1... takes bloody forever unless your perfect! Its the only level I've not managed to S Rank yet on normal difficulty, usually I just full combo levels with custom slot 1 but that's not happening this time! So I might have to play with load outs and get a balance between end bonuses and overall performance (thinking a offence and defense buff and that's it.

Loved the final boss battles though, the
copy Beck
boss battle felt very similar to the second fortress boss in Mega Man 1 in overall gameplay, and the final boss felt like a great fusion of Wily and Sigma. Only issue I had with the main villain was his use of memes and his dialogue. I fucking hate that kind of thing and just skipped all his dialogue, I could have done without that crap. The other fortress bosses though rocked, the third fortress boss especially was awesome, felt like it'd stepped right out of a Mega Man game.

Almost got all the challenges done now, it'll probably take another couple of runs to clear all the challenges but S Ranks do seem hilariously easy to get on hard mode. I've been purposely playing bad (dying, breaking my combos) and its still giving me S ranks when I finish! Speaking of hard mode, props to the devs for not taking the crappy way out of a hard mode. Enemy placement remains the same but their attacks are sped up/made more dangerous in subtle ways that improves the difficulty but doesn't make the game unfair at all. Bosses also are made slightly harder, but again not in an unfair way. Damage output seems unchanged, so enemies don't take twice as many hits or anything.

This might actually end up being my surprise of the year. Mighty No 9 wasn't as good as I'd hoped (still enjoyed it regardless though) but this is really what I wanted. Its a decent mix of retro and modern with some great boss battles and once you learn the level layouts its just a blast to play.

Great write up, I agree about the Hard mode, it's great especially when played with Buster only. I am NOT looking forward to doing the Boss Runback on Hard/Buster only, that's going to be a paaaaain!

Great write up, I agree about the Hard mode, it's great especially when played with Buster only. I am NOT looking forward to doing the Boss Runback on Hard/Buster only, that's going to be a paaaaain!

Yeah, I won't even entertain that idea, I did not get any enjoyment of doing that final mission the first time round on normal, and doing it on hard would be well... harder! I bow out of challenges like that when it stops being fun (or at least satisfying). While the game is well designed, I don't really think its designed for beating all the bosses in a row with just your buster and limited healing supplies. Good luck on clearing the challenge!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Did you know there's a hidden area to the immediate left of the stage that gives you a lot of food items? It was still hard for me on Normal with full custom powers! lol

At least the game auto saves constantly and you have unlimited lives. I never finished Mega Man 8 because of it's bullshit Boss Runback followed by hard as hell Dr Wily fight. You don't get health items or unlimited lives in that one!
Eventually just finished it on emulator

Did you know there's a hidden area to the immediate left of the stage that gives you a lot of food items? It was still hard for me on Normal with full custom powers! lol

At least the game auto saves constantly and you have unlimited lives. I never finished Mega Man 8 because of it's bullshit Boss Runback followed by hard as hell Dr Wily fight. You don't get health items or unlimited lives in that one!
Eventually just finished it on emulator

Yeah, I stumbled upon that room accidentally and it was a great help, but I still horde the healing items for the final boss battle so I was very careful not to heal too much in the rematch fights. I ended up with quite a bit of health spare!

I remember that battle in 8, its weird as the game itself never felt all that hard to me for the most part (at least not off the back of 7) but the final boss is fairly solid difficulty wise. Took me a few tries to beat him, not helped by you not really having proper healing items in 8 (having to rely on Rush to hopefully give you health sucks!)
Still doesn't top Wily's boss fight in 7 for me though in terms of difficulty, that final phase... I stock up with tons of E and W Tanks and just be very careful as his patterns are rather hard to dodge even when you use all his weaknesses. Awesome music though!

AEREC

So the 3DS version came out last week, I went ahead and picked it up. It has no 3D and looks like its the exact exact same as the Switch version. The bottom touchscreen literally does nothing.

I'd recommend it if you don't have a Switch, of course!

Just curious if the 3DS version is 30 fps like Blaster Master? Id probably double dip since I don't care for the side letterboxing on the Switch version.

Sucks that Beck started off with MN9...seems like this style of game is what the series should have opened with.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just curious if the 3DS version is 30 fps like Blaster Master? Id probably double dip since I don't care for the side letterboxing on the Switch version.

Sucks that Beck started off with MN9...seems like this style of game is what the series should have opened with.

I can't tell if it's a different FPS than Switch, it looks the same to me, but i don't have an eye for FPS. It also has the letterboxing on the 3DS. I'm telling you it's literally the same version, just fit to a 3DS screen lol.

AEREC

After having a hard time with the bosses I am finally now just realizing I can eat the food I picked up during the stage to replenish health...kind of a game changer and I am enjoying the game more now (already enjoyed it anyways).

Quick Q...can I play another character on the same game save slot at some point or do I need to start a new save to play as Gunvolt?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
After having a hard time with the bosses I am finally now just realizing I can eat the food I picked up during the stage to replenish health...kind of a game changer and I am enjoying the game more now (already enjoyed it anyways).

Quick Q...can I play another character on the same game save slot at some point or do I need to start a new save to play as Gunvolt?

New save. The stages/bosses are all the same, just the customization stuff is a bit different. But it's mostly the same, unless you want to do the challenges, which require you to beat the game with both characters, you're aren't really missing anything by only playing the game once through with one character.

w0s

Okay I am at my wits end. I have found every secret but I can not find the first upgrade in the Power Plant. Any help would be so appreciated.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I had never heard of this game, until I just saw the OT and randomly clicked.

So this was Inti Creates making a non-shite MN9? And it's good?

I feel savagely burned.

Okay I am at my wits end. I have found every secret but I can not find the first upgrade in the Power Plant. Any help would be so appreciated.

Fairly certain this is the one your short:

Early on in the power plant stage just after taking either the left or right route you'll end up in a room with two ladders and no enemies (no matter which route you took earlier, you end up in the same room). The left hand ladder is where you need to go to continue the level, the right hand ladder has a heart and a dead end, or does it? Take the right hand ladder up to the next screen and now walk all the way to the right, you'll go through the false wall to a new area with one enemy in it. Kill this enemy while inside the area your standing (not outside else you can't reach the power up) and the item your short should fall out of him.

That one is devilish as you don't have any wall to destroy, so it doesn't set off the dowsing sensor, so finding it can be down to dumb luck!

w0s

Fairly certain this is the one your short:

Early on in the power plant stage just after taking either the left or right route you'll end up in a room with two ladders and no enemies (no matter which route you took earlier, you end up in the same room). The left hand ladder is where you need to go to continue the level, the right hand ladder has a heart and a dead end, or does it? Take the right hand ladder up to the next screen and now walk all the way to the right, you'll go through the false wall to a new area with one enemy in it. Kill this enemy while inside the area your standing (not outside else you can't reach the power up) and the item your short should fall out of him.

That one is devilish as you don't have any wall to destroy, so it doesn't set off the dowsing sensor, so finding it can be down to dumb luck!

see that is too funny. I always kill it to soon and thought it was a sticker it dropped. Thanks!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Didn't they say something about new characters being added to the game...? Not that I see the point, with the same levels and bosses, I probably would not replay it just for that.

AEREC

Didn't they say something about new characters being added to the game...? Not that I see the point, with the same levels and bosses, I probably would not replay it just for that.

I havent seen anything official...but I think it's safe to assume we may get some since they are doing it with Master Blaster Zero.

This game was surprisingly fun as a $10 diversion for Switch. I don't know if I'll take the time to go back and get 100% or anything, but my playthrough was certainly enjoyable!

Deffo picking this up on the 27th then. Ekoro's looking good :3
Kind of hoping they manage to repeat what they pulled off with Master Blaster Zero and get Shantae in there too :D

zigg

Aren't I supposed to be able to get the DLC for MGB without having bought the game yet? I can't find the option. Thought some people were doing this for BM0.

CamHostage

Stages seem pretty well designed, still at odds with the "burst" mechanic though.. it's probably the one thing that mn9 did better, the dash finishing blow felt much better. Unlike mn9 however the burst mechanic is in no way crucial to gameplay, just score multiplier so it's not really a big deal.

I always feel bad that I wrote off Gunvolt after the Burst mechanic didn't work the way I thought it would (and association with the MN9 debacle did not help.) I'd like to go back, and Mighty always has been on my list. Any suggestions of pro players on video who show off the mechanics at max utilization, or should I just play it as a straight platform shooter and worry about what's best about Burst some other time?

Top Bottom