• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 Animated Series Announced

Xav

The show has to look like this.

beck20jnd.jpg

And the game should look like this.

S8dHZZk.jpg

Everything surrounding Mighty No.9 looks set to disappoint.

Berordn

Also, how have they managed to do all this without getting sued by Capcom? I haven't followed MN9 much but he looks just like Megaman, his partner looks just like Roll, and his gimmick seems to be just like Megaman's power swapping.

For the most part those are just some game design concepts and mechanics which Capcom doesn't own. They could probably make a battle out of how it infringes on their character and designs but as far as I know that'd be long and drawn out with no guarantee of victory on either side.

But the bad press they'd get from trying that is probably enough of a deterrent to keep them off of the idea.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think my problem is that they're banking too much on a character whose game hasn't been released yet.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
This is a hard sell as the viability of the Mighty No. 9 franchise has yet to be seen. Furthermore, in Japan, one must a buy a programming block in order for an anime to appear on television, will Inafune kickstart that too...? Cartoon Network will certainly not commission Mighty No. 9 if the market has yet to be tested. Cruchyroll exclusive?

On a side note, I'm not liking the CG - an anime from OLM Inc. would of been more fitting.

NathanS

The idea is the show helps sells the game not the other way around. This is no different then Battle Network getting an anime that came out one year after it's first game.

Boss Doggie

This is a hard sell as the viability of the Mighty No. 9 franchise has yet to be seen. Furthermore, in Japan, one must a buy a programming block in order for an anime to appear on television, will Inafune kickstart that too...? Cartoon Network will certainly not commission Mighty No. 9 if the market has yet to be tested. Cruchyroll exclusive?

On a side note, I'm not liking the CG - an anime from OLM Inc. would of been more fitting.

Makes you wonder if MN9 got actually backed up by a bigger company.

The idea is the show helps sells the game not the other way around. This is no different then Battle Network getting an anime that came out one year after it's first game.

Yeah but BN game already came out. MN9 hasn't.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The show is coming out one year later then the game in 2016. If you don't think that for the BN anime to come out in 2002 it wasn't in production in 2001, if not sooner, I don't know what to tell you.

I think the essence of the user's post was more inclined to who would finance the project?

Zubz

Banned
Ugh... I was all for Mighty No. 9 at first, but it got way out of hand way too fast. Despite being Kickstarted, people acted like it'd be the best game ever, but so far, it just looks like it's trying to be Mega Man that I can't even respect it anymore (And fans pushing for that really aren't helping.

The fact there's already a show really makes if look like the bubble burst on this IP a year away from launch.

Mecha

This makes you wonder how the shift towards marketing the game to children will effect the final product.

tokkun

You dont understand how concept art works... do you?

The problem is that art looks too much like a screenshot. When you put something like that in a Kickstarter, of course people are going to think that's the look you are actually targeting.

Doombacon

Oh... 3DCG... It's going to have to be unbelievably amazing in pretty much all other areas for me to care about it at all.

Xav

The way that 2d animation works, is more expensive than 3d animation.

Didn't the game raise like nearly $4 million in it's Kickstarter? That's like over $1million more than Oculus Rift.

Is 2D animation really THAT expensive? I'm legit curious at this point.

Village

The problem is that art looks too much like a screenshot. When you put something like that in a Kickstarter, of course people are going to think that's the look you are actually targeting.

... Thats concept art has to be at a point, a representation of what the game would look like
But its Concept art, not This is what the game is going to look like exactly art.

Boss Doggie

MN9 game slated for 2015.
MN9 show slated for 2016 and that's even if it gets made at all.
The show is coming out one year later then the game in 2016. If you don't think that for the BN anime to come out in 2002 it wasn't in production in 2001, if not sooner, I don't know what to tell you.

Ah, didn't know it was coming out after the game, not along with it.

Still, to announce something this early even before testing the waters makes me wonder if there is a backer...

Kinsei

Banned
Announcing the show before the game comes out feels a little weird to me. I also don't like that it is aimed at kids when it seems like the game is aimed at the 20+ demographic that grew up with Megaman.

Village

Didn't the game raise like nearly $4 million in it's Kickstarter? That's like over $1million more than Oculus Rift.

Is 2D animation really THAT expensive? I'm legit curious at this point.

Trying to explain this simply,

3d models are way more manipulable for animation, and leaves a wider margin for error.

tokkun

... Thats concept art has to be at a point, a representation of what the game would look like
But its Concept art, not This is what the game is going to look like exactly art.

Unlike concept art in general, this was used for a Kickstarter. That is to say, it was the representation of the game being used when it was put up for sale. In the normal model of game sales, there would be real screenshots available too by the time the customer was being asked to hand over money. When a Kickstarter uses concept art as a target render - to show something that is supposed to be representative of the visuals of the final product - they are under a much greater burden to be accurate about it, because their customers will not get a chance to change their mind if the final game ends up looking different. Once you start taking money, you have to set a higher bar.

I don't know why people are so down on this. It's great this game and the IP are blowing up. Rogue Legacy, Shovel Knight, MightyNo9 all doing well is the best way to get more people making games like these, and if anything at the least it will get Capcom thinking about doing another MegaMan proper.

"6-11 years of age"

lol, by the time this comes out, my son will be too old! :p

No seriously, I showed the teaser to him and he was just grinning ear to ear the whole time. He knows the story behind the project as I explained to him that I helped finance the game from one of the creators of MegaMan :)

Right, now I understand why kamiya said that inafune is more of a businessman instead of a developer.

Didn't he say that about Shinji Mikami?

EDIT:
I liked the art for the teaser btw. Can see this being either pretty good or so bad it's actually awesome (like the Megaman cartoon series).

Village

There would have been a way to make it look like the concept art.

Hand drawn sprites or cel/toon-shading or whatever it´s called what Arc System Works is doing to do with their new game.

I wouldn't expect everyone to know how to do gulty gear XRD yet.

Also , apparently making it look all cell shaded, is NOT CHEAP>

Hero

Why do people keep asking this shit? Publisher funding isn't the same as crowd funding on any level. One is reliant on a future profit coming from a large, risky investment, the other is reliant on multiple small spends (not investments) by frothing fanboys who will break even at best (Steam code for MSRP) or overspend on cheap trinkets at the higher tiers at worst.

One is reliant on getting an actual return on the investment, the other happily throws money in and doesn't care that they spent $100 on a $3 t-shirt, a PDF of the instruction manual, some concept art and an MP3 soundtrack.

So how is Capcom feeling? Completely and totally indifferent. They've spent and lost on Megaman before. There was no way, as a publisher, using a traditional publisher model, that they can make a game like this happen in the way that this is happening.

What Mega Man game was unprofitable for Capcom?

People need to remember to wait and see how the final product turns out...

EVERYONE was ready to tear apart Nick's TMNT series based on it's look alone.... then they watched it and quickly realized it's the best american cartoon TV series out there, including far surpassing the original 80s one.

Sponge

Banned
People need to remember to wait and see how the final product turns out...

EVERYONE was ready to tear apart Nick's TMNT series based on it's look alone.... then they watched it and quickly realized it's the best american cartoon TV series out there, including far surpassing the original 80s one.

Even then, Mega Man fans should be used to redesigns by now. There's how many different versions of him already? Just pretend 9 is one of those even though he's not Mega Man at all.

AvsfC.png

No disrespect towards inafune, its great that he managed to pull of a deal like this. Not every company would like to fund an animation series based on a game that haven't even launched.

Yeah, that tweet got mileage again after this announcement. Funny how my first Kamiya question managed to have such staying power...

But its Concept art, not This is what the game is going to look like exactly art

tumblr_mhcheinpi71r4v2bso2_500.jpg

Is that concept art? Because the game looks literally the same

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final+2013-07-10+21-42-40-684.jpg

Unlike this game, where the concept art is not even in the same dimension (2D vs 3D)

Top Bottom