• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 Animated Series Announced

My eyes! They burn!

Watch the teaser...it looks much better in motion.

Actually I liked the teaser. It looks like something which could work really well for the target audience. And if they put some effort in the characters and the story I could see them winning over the children hearts in Japan.

The only thing that bothers me is that the game won't be trageting the same audience as the series. The game is for the long time Mega Man fans and the series for children which probably never heard of MM. So on the one hand it could work well to get a lot of people to enjoy this new franchise on multible platforms or on the other hand the kids won't enjoy the game after watching the show and the old guys (like us) are hating that they destroy the characters (I bet there are already enough people who hate the goofy teaser trailer...) of their beloved new franchise.

Sponge

Banned
YSa5lR3.png

What do these three have in common?

Burai

shitonmychest57
I wonder how Capcpom is feeling

Why do people keep asking this shit? Publisher funding isn't the same as crowd funding on any level. One is reliant on a future profit coming from a large, risky investment, the other is reliant on multiple small spends (not investments) by frothing fanboys who will break even at best (Steam code for MSRP) or overspend on cheap trinkets at the higher tiers at worst.

One is reliant on getting an actual return on the investment, the other happily throws money in and doesn't care that they spent $100 on a $3 t-shirt, a PDF of the instruction manual, some concept art and an MP3 soundtrack.

So how is Capcom feeling? Completely and totally indifferent. They've spent and lost on Megaman before. There was no way, as a publisher, using a traditional publisher model, that they can make a game like this happen in the way that this is happening.

so1337

Other Anime by Digital Frontier:

2004 - Appleseed
2006 - Forest of Cats- Atagoal
2007 - Appleseed Ex Machina
2008 - Resident Evil: Degeneration
2009 - Summer Wars
2011 - Tekken: Blood Vengeance
2012 - Ookami kodomo no Ame to Yuki (The Wolf Children)
2012 - Resident Evil: Damnation
Pretty sure Summer Wars is by Madhouse and Ame to Yuki is by Studio Chizu. Looks like Digital Frontier helped with CG.

It's created and managed by a Japanese Animation studio....so it's Anime.

Anime comes in shapes and sizes. Doesn't have to be the stereotypical otaku stuff to count as Anime.

Other Anime by Digital Frontier:

2004 - Appleseed
2006 - Forest of Cats- Atagoal
2007 - Appleseed Ex Machina
2008 - Resident Evil: Degeneration
2009 - Summer Wars
2011 - Tekken: Blood Vengeance
2012 - Ookami kodomo no Ame to Yuki (The Wolf Children)
2012 - Resident Evil: Damnation

Both of these have amazing animation but none of that is by DF.

Based Madhouse and Studio Chizi or something like that.

Really it looks quite ugly but I'm not part of the target audience.

ChipotIe

Banned
The more I think about it the more I don't get it.

This is a vanity project brought up by nostalgia and the support by fans who are old enough to contribute to a crowdfunding project, right? Who asked for this? Who is this supposed to appeal to?

Japan is so strange when it comes to how trigger happy they are when it comes to turning an IP into an animation.

CTLance

Personally, all CG movies that are not using particularly artsy shaders are not my kind of thing at all. I loathe the smooth shiny "UE4" look that these low/med budget productions always have.

That said, I do not mind the existence of a TV series for the game... but I'm concerned the game and show will suffer due to the timing.
Make the game first, then dedicate Inafune and Co to support the movie guys while the rest of the company keeps the game patched or works on some added content that was planned beforehand.

Blue Volt

Banned
That looks like a heap of shit. Around the time this got funded, I was really excited for it to come out. Since then I haven't cared about it at all. It doesn't help that the pre-release gameplay shown so far has been really dull.

Durante

The more I think about it the more I don't get it.

This is a vanity project brought up by nostalgia and the support by fans who are old enough to contribute to a crowdfunding project, right? Who asked for this? Who is this supposed to appeal to?

Japan is so strange when it comes to how trigger happy they are when it comes to turning an IP into an animation.
Pretty much.

SykoTech

Reminds me of the new Pac-Man show. Bleh.

TMNT and the later seasons of The Clone Wars showed me that CG cartoons can be pretty awesome. I won't write it off based on that alone. I sure will bail out fast if it turns out like Pac-Man though.

Mexen

I don't know how to react to this. I shouldn't even have posted.

Here's to hoping both the game and show are good.

Oddly enough, I'm now thinking of the thread on paying, say $5 for a demo and $55 for the full game.

I see the words animated and think back to the fan made gif, drawings and fan art.

I enter this thread to see kids morning 3D show stuff.

nope.

AriEX2

Ouch at that character model.
Super-bad interpretation of the original 2D art. Hope this doesn't reflect on the quality of modelling in the game at all, though you'd figure they'd start with the game's low-poly characters as the basis for the higher detail animation ones.

More excited for this to be honest.

630x.jpg

Gunvolt looks more creative and cooler than Mighty No. 9. I really hope Inafune doesn't sell out. What originally seemed like am ambitious project now appears to be a cash grab. =/

vareon

More excited for this to be honest.

630x.jpg

Gunvolt looks more creative and cooler than Mighty No. 9. I really hope Inafune doesn't sell out. What originally seemed like am ambitious project now appears to be a cash grab. =/

Same, but just because Gunvolt was announced out of the blue and will be released in just
a few months vs M9's kickstarter and release date which looks so far away.

Not sure how I feel about the animated series, TBH. Well I enjoy more stuff, but it looks like they're pushing this as a franchise before it even set a foot as a good game.

Village

I see the words animated and think back to the fan made gif, drawings and fan art.

I enter this thread to see kids morning 3D show stuff.

nope.

Guess which one costs way more money,

Guess which one costs less and children still watch it anyway.

This is interesting tho

This might be the start of something

Please remind me what this line was from? I remember the dialog and horrible voice acting so perfectly, put can't put my finger on where I heard it...

Zero in megaman x4 I believe

Camjo-Z

Going all-in on this franchise before the game is even out is a pretty ballsy move. Also, how have they managed to do all this without getting sued by Capcom? I haven't followed MN9 much but he looks just like Megaman, his partner looks just like Roll, and his gimmick seems to be just like Megaman's power swapping.

vypek

That was really fast.

The animation doesn't look super great right now but maybe I'm just not used to it. I am usually okay with CG shows though...

Top Bottom