• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 review thread

Everything I've seen about this game looks fine. It looks right in line with the original Mega Man games. I think people have some fucked up rose colored glasses nostalgia going on. I bought the collection a few weeks ago and played through 1-3. This looks pretty comparable. Uneven difficulty, bullshit, etc.. The color pallette is a bit more drab/washed out. That's about it. If you like the classic games this seems to be right up your alley.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Was looking forward to this. :( Backed it too.

I didn't enjoy the first boss fight. Felt way too cheap.

Game isn't terrible, just unpolished IMO.

NathanS

What was Shovel Knight's budget?

Working for months without pay. When I found that out it really soured me on the whole thing. Yes it was a passion project but it's skewed what people think it cost to make a game. And in an industry hat already does as shit job at treating it employees well it doesn't need any more fuel for that kind of BS.

Everything I've seen about this game looks fine. It looks right in line with the original Mega Man games. I think people have some fucked up rose colored glasses nostalgia going on. I bought the collection a few weeks ago and played through 1-3. This looks pretty comparable. Uneven difficulty, bullshit, etc.. The color pallette is a bit more drab/washed out. That's about it. If you like the classic games this seems to be right up your alley.

I mean, I play the Mega Man games every year or two on average. They're not really nostalgia trips for me, I am actively aware of how those games play.

Those games have decent level design, Mighty No. 9 really doesn't. They have been encounter design than MN9. They have better midboss design.

I have played MN9 for the last two days. It's not as good as those games. I don't think coming in and saying "YEAH BUT YOU'RE JUST A NOSTALGIA DUMMY" does anything but make you feel better about your own opinion. Which, I mean, rock on, man. Do what you like. But I know how I feel, too, and your argument that I am just crazy doesn't seem well-thought out.

ArjanN

Well a mediocre game that is "not bad, not amazing" deserves a 5. Games that are really interesting, but also flawed deserve 7s.

Yeah but almost no-one actually scores like that. On the typical metacritic scale it's more like a 7.

I mean, I play the Mega Man games every year or two on average. They're not really nostalgia trips for me, I am actively aware of how those games play.

Those games have decent level design, Mighty No. 9 really doesn't. They have been encounter design than MN9. They have better midboss design.

I have played MN9 for the last two days. It's not as good as those games. I don't think coming in and saying "YEAH BUT YOU'RE JUST A NOSTALGIA DUMMY" does anything but make you feel better about your own opinion. Which, I mean, rock on, man. Do what you like. But I know how I feel, too, and your argument that I am just crazy doesn't seem well-thought out.

I respect the Mega Man games for their innovation at the time, and they've aged a lot better than most of the games from that period.

That said, going back to them I do feel they also had plenty of flaws, someof which are easier to overlook if you know the games really well. Like how most of the bossfights are actually pretty bad but you can get around those pretty easily by bringing the right weapon which means the boss dies before he even gets to do anything.

Yeah but almost no-one actually scores like that. On the typical metacritic scale it's more like a 7.

I respect the Mega Man games for their innovation at the time, and they've aged a lot better than most of the games from that period.

That said, going back to them I do feel they also had plenty of flaws, someof which are easier to overlook if you know the games really well. Like how most of the bossfights are actually pretty bad but you can get around those pretty easily by bringing the right weapon which means the boss dies before he even gets to do anything.

I don't think the old games are flawless or anything.

I just think that the things I like about them (encounter design, level design, pacing) are way better than Mighty No. 9.

DMiz

Chalk me up as another one of those people who feel like the game doesn't live up to its pedigree. The elements are there, and there are certainly flashes of brilliance with the level design, but the game is definitely unpolished. You can feel it; there are certain times when things don't seem to work, or the game seems to break its own rules and adds to unnecessary frustration.

I just gave the first two stages a try and am genuinely pretty not happy with the end product. Oh, well. That's what I get.

I'm someone who really isn't picky and would normally finish any game I buy to completion but after 1 hour with this game, I might be done. I'm just not having fun. First few levels seem....I don't know....dull.

I'll maybe try again next week and give it another chance. maybe....

x3sphere

Thought it was okay from what I played so far. Definitely feels like a Mega Man, but I'm not big on the absorption mechanic - isn't very satisfying to use. Graphics seem kind of bland as well, the initial concept art looked way better. I don't know, I expected more. Not sure if I'll even bother to finish it.

At least Bloodstained is living up to expectations though, tried the demo of that today and was super impressed.

ugoo18

Why such reviews? I haven't experienced Mega Man before and this wasn't really on my radar but the lets play videos i've seen of it actually make me want to get this. So much so that it's on my Steam Wishlist (Would have bought it now but i needed that money for DOOM).

The game looks fun to me.

me0wish

Why such reviews? I haven't experienced Mega Man before and this wasn't really on my radar but the lets play videos i've seen of it actually make me want to get this. So much so that it's on my Steam Wishlist (Would have bought it now but i needed that money for DOOM).

The game looks fun to me.

IMO, ignore the reviews.

As someone who hated the demo, was very disappointed by the graphics downgrade, and expected my self to play no more than 5 minutes, I am very happy to find my self wrong about the game, sure it lacks polish, but some levels/abilities are excellent and I am pleasantly surprised.

Just started the Ray DLC and it feels fantastic to play, can't wait till I start playing the challenges, I'm having tons of fun with the game.

Working for months without pay. When I found that out it really soured me on the whole thing. Yes it was a passion project but it's skewed what people think it cost to make a game. And in an industry hat already does as shit job at treating it employees well it doesn't need any more fuel for that kind of BS.

Capra

uL4TEXL.jpg

Think of it like letter grades: 90-100 is A, 80-89 is B, 70-79 is C, 60-69 is D, and 59 and below is failing.
So 59 points of a 100 point scale essentially mean the same thing = game is unplayable hot garbage? A 1 is the same as a 59? Hey but you get one point higher for a 60 you're not a dumpster fire anymore!

Equating a grading a test to a video makes no sense no matter which way you look at it.

So 59 points of a 100 point scale essentially mean the same thing = game is unplayable hot garbage? A 1 is the same as a 59? Hey but you get one point higher for a 60 you're not a dumpster fire anymore!

Equating a grading a test to a video makes no sense no matter which way you look at it.
Nah. Most people would treat the 60 as a dumpster fire too.

Kusagari

The gameplay itself is fine.

The problem is the actual game around the gameplay is bad. The level design, enemy encounters and bosses do nothing to benefit the core gameplay.

Eusis

Ah hahaha, I may defend the game against complete savaging but this is still hilarious.

Though it helps Kamiya still makes better games so.

You could argue from 59 (or 49) down its all sorts of flavors of failing. 1 is the Cosmic Race and Big Rigs zone where the game is just a complete dumpster fire, whereas 59 just means it's a game that's ALMOST comptent and/or fun, but misses both marks and just isn't worth bothering with even though it's not a full on disaster. The Duke Nukem Forevers and the Sonic 2006s of the world, except harder to remember and name because they didn't have a respected name dragged through the mud or a long wait that led to nothing.

Top Bottom