• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty Switch Force HD coming to the Wii U eShop

M-PG71C

Damn, day one. Day fucking one. WayForward, like Shin'en, are indie developers I follow intently. Bring it on. Nintendo's digital offerings are looking outstanding strong.

Which is odd considering the 3DS at launch.

Just tried playing this on 3ds with 3D off. Definitely better with 3D on for me, so no amount of HD will change that. If the blocks animate in a different fashion then I could see it, but if it's exactly like this but HD, I'll play the 3D version any day of the week.

Will still probably buy though. Cuz WayForward :^P

chris3116

I never played this game before since I don't have a 3DS but it looks interesting. From what I see on the screenshot, is the gameplay like Mega Man with the guy shooting the little monster?

backlot

I never played this game before since I don't have a 3DS but it looks interesting. From what I see on the screenshot, is the gameplay like Mega Man with the guy shooting the little monster?

It plays kind of like Mega Man but it focuses more on puzzle platforming and time trials than shooting enemies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Looks incredibly flat to me. The characters feel very out of place in the world because of the different styles :\

It's a bit annoying to me, too, because I love bold linework. But it's the linework that's seperating everything in this case.

Skinner lines, or introducing some linework into the environment, would help unify it some, to me.

Unless they're somehow going for the "Stickers on a hand-painted BG" look...

why would you want a 3d game from wayforward :/

if it was 2d, there wouldn't have been any reason for collaborations
Considering that Sakamoto originally wanted to do Other M as a 2.5D game until Team Ninja pushed him into quasi-3D I fail to see why their collaboration was any more necessary than the one I'm proposing. And it's not as if Nintendo didn't have any teams in house that could do 3D games either, and even if we assume they were all tied up working on other projects I don't see how Team Ninja was a particularly fitting choice, given their history of bad camera systems. The reason why I think WayForward would have been a good choice is because their design sensibilities match up with the franchise- certainly more than Team Ninja. Imagine what they'd be capable of with a substantial budget, a great IP like Metroid (which several of their efforts are clearly influenced by) and a Nintendo level of polish (which is something Team Ninja seemed unable to achieve in Other M).

majik13

I really hope Nintendo are letting devs like this support 3DTVs if they want. Someone needs to get on to WayForward and see if they're planning on it..

Yeah, my first post! Anyways, I did some work for WayForward for the first MSF, or actually probabaly all their new games, I did their new stereo logo animation for them. Anyways, my buddy is the director or producer or somethign for the game. I asked him bout 3d support, first he wanted to know how I heard about the game..

Eventually, his answer was a very astounding "no comment".

At least it wasn't denied. but I don't think that really means anything either way.

maybe they don't want to do 3d, to retain value of the 3ds version?

canvee

Now they need to get Nintendo to let them support some sort of cross-platform buy-once game license.

Definitely agree. I'm wondering how connected 3ds and Wii u online will be. Wii u's online infrastructure seems to be far more developed than the 3ds. I would like to see more cross-platform initiatives similar to PSN.

Truth101

Banned
Definitely agree. I'm wondering how connected 3ds and Wii u online will be. Wii u's online infrastructure seems to be far more developed than the 3ds. I would like to see more cross-platform initiatives similar to PSN.

Miiverse is coming to the 3DS so I imagine the online infrastructure will be unified around then.

Coming down from the excitement, I'm hoping Shantae will be pixel art. I'm looking at the comparison and I'm seeing the pixel art as having more character. But it also depends on how they draw Shantae - more this or more A Boy and His Blob? I'd prefer the latter, but I'd still like to see how pixel art can advance. I imagine it would be incredible on a system like the Wii U.

vdlow

I like MSF, but not enought to re-buy it on WiiU. But for anyone who never played it on the 3DS, it's a must buy. And the graphics are really nice, good job from WayForward.

Sagitario

I was thinking of getting this. I guess I will wait a bit to see how the Wii U version turns out.

That said, I wouldn't mind double dipping if the game/developer deserves it (I just did with with VVVVVV).

NeoRausch

Oh my 2D handrawn sprites in hd! <3

Well nintendo allready said that the wiiu is going to support 3D TVs, it's just not a main focus.

Looks great. Wii U having a weak launch my ass, there's so much good shit for Nintendo fans and platformer fans it's ridiculous. Between this, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Rayman Origins, etc, the Wii U looks like a platforming/Nintendo fan's dream. All of which are coming out at or near launch, no less. Honestly, I'm a ton more excited to buy the Wii U than I was the Wii at launch, there's a boatload of games I want to get already.

Boogiepop

Gah. 3d+Portability vs super pretty. I was preparing to pick the game up on 3DS shortly, but now I'm not sure which version I want. Hm.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'll definitely double dip if the price for HD version is reasonable. $2.99 eShop sale (right now) for MSF might be the best ever deal on the 3DS.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
TMpx9.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oezPxEoqFE&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Yuterald

Way to spoil the final boss, Wayforward. Looks nice though.

Final boss? This isn't just an HD Remake of the 3DS version and actually contains new content?

Good thing I didn't watch it yet...

Edit:
The missing difficulty drove the decision to release the new version's Hyper stages; in many cases, designers (including Ivansmith) were forced to nix puzzles that no one ever got to see. "As a level designer, it was hard to 'kill my darlings' the first time around," he says. The Hyper stages are spiritual successors to the stages they're based on: familiar, but not identical. Additionally, the game's soundtrack by composer Jake Kaufman has been remixed for the Hyper stages as well. "If you're going to be a completionist and beat every single level that's in this game, you're going to be a very talented Switch Force player," says Ivansmith. "I no longer have to run this game past our owner; if he can't beat the level, I feel like I've done my job."

That's cool. From a small snip of the video, I still think the 3D effect is better than the HD stuff they have, but I'll get it anyway. Can't tell the blocks apart from foreground and background fast enough in this iteration.

Spazznid

Never even knew this game existed, but after watching the trailers for the 3DS version and a playthrough of the first level, I'm sold. Will buy on Wii U and maybe double dip on 3DS, also subscribed to their youtube for future announcements. These guys seem to "Get" Game design. (I gathered that much from the Polygon piece)

tkscz

I might double dip depending on the price. Though I will say that this game makes me want a Mischief Makers HD very badly (yes I know MM was made but Treasure, but the too games seem a bit similar to me for some reason).

Eusis

Many banned here, scary for a three pages-thread.
Not when you consider the age. Pretty typical to walk into a thread that's a few months old and see a field of banned names.

Anyways, I think for now I'll pass. I REALLY like the sprite work in the 3DS version, and still need to beat it anyway.

Yuripaw

Banned
I really hope this is on eshop on day 1...I'm looking forward to playing this in HD so much. Although one thing that's too bad about this version compared to the 3DS, is it did have a real cool look to it in 3D.

Top Bottom