• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miitopia Previews/Hands-on Thread

Shiggy

The appeal of Miitopia seems to be to watch the characters interact, though. In between battles, you stay at inns, where you can put your party members into different rooms and increase their bonds. You can also feed them and try to build up their stats. Give them an allowance and directions to buy a certain items and they might do that. Or they might just buy a banana. Once again, it’s all very wacky.

I’m not totally sold on Miitopia from what I played, but it might just be quirky enough for me to want to mess around with some Mii adventures when it launches on July 28.

NWR

Like the 3DS’s "built-in" StreetPass game Find Mii, Miitopia is a simplified take on RPGs in which your Miis are cast in the roles of your party members. Each Mii is assigned a class, from traditional RPG jobs like Knight and Thief to more off-beat ones like Cook and Pop Idol. The Miis behave according to the personality you set for them; a cautious Mii, for instance, will favor using stat-buffing abilities. In between battles, Miis are lodged at inns, where you can witness interactions between them (which will increase their bond and in turn unlock new skills), feed them to improve their stats, and send them off to purchase new weapons. Up to four Miis can be in your party at a time, though the Nintendo reps at the event have said that players can recruit more than eight Miis.

If you don't have an extensive collection of Miis to use, Nintendo is also launching an online service called Mii Central from which you can download other players' creations and bring into your game. It was unclear if the service will be exclusive to Miitopia or if you'll be able to keep the Miis you download to use in other titles.

Gamespot

Miitopia looks ridiculously funny. So much so that we wish it had hit the Switch instead. In fact, the game may make Switch owners want to dust off their 3DS (New, 2D, XL or otherwise). The game stars your Mii and any other Miis you add to your party. You fight alongside each other and take on monsters in hopes of saving townspeople's faces. Stolen faces will appear on bad guys and it all looks so absurd.

Mic.com

Video previews:

IGN
GoNintendo
Gamexplain

Kouriozan

I'm excited for this, I like weird games and this game hit the right spots, I saw tons of JP footage.
I feared it would never be localized since it kinda sold bad in Japan.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm excited for this, I like weird games and this game hit the right spots, I saw tons of JP footage.

Um, selling 200K in Japan isn't too shabby though and it still sells small amounts each week.

3DS Miitopia 28.231 219.524 Nintendo 12/8/2016

Given how Tomodachi Life took off in Europe, it makes sense to localize this as well and see it can do well in the West.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

There are tons of new IP that would dream to sell as much as miitopia did ;p
Of course if you consider it a tomodatchi collection sequel it bombed but...it isn't

Um, selling 200K in Japan isn't too shabby though and it still sells small amounts each week.

Given how Tomodachi Life took off in Europe, it makes sense to localize this as well and see it can do well in the West.

We will see
I am at least curious about it

Gambit

Just watched this video about the casting call in Miitopia.

The game still looks weird but interesting to me, but this "casting call" mechanic is exactly the kind of mechanic I've been hoping for for a long time in JRPGs with player created characters.

It alleviates the problem of them being blank slates and still allows for customisation. You have a warrior, a mage, family members, and then assign your own designs accordingly.

This would have greatly improved DQ IX for me, since the other three party members could now have personality. I always hoped it would let me just design "best friend", "rival", "childhood friend", "princess", etc.

SalvaPot

I really loved Tomodachi Life and the Mii Quest Street Pass Plaza games so this seems to be made just for me.

Also I remember watching that old Miitopia trailer with Iwata as a cleric who sacrifices himself for his Nintendo co-workers and bringing up all kinds of feelings.

I´ll be playing this one for sure!

@MUWANdo

Banned

It sold like absolute crap in the beginning, all because NCL tried to manufacture viral hype instead of just advertising the game like they should have.

I hope they continue these weird as hell Mii-centric games on the Switch, but it'll be fun to watch my Tomodachi Life Miis duke it out.

Top Bottom