• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles Davis film starring Don Cheadle announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Greater Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky Film Commission announced that Don Cheadle will star as iconic jazz innovator Miles Davis in a movie filming here in July.

Cheadle also will direct and produce "Miles Ahead" from a script he wrote with Steven Baigelman.

Local musicians and actors will be needed for the movie about trumpeter Davis, a major jazz figure in the bebop, cool jazz and jazz fusion movements in the 20th century.

Davis, who died in 1991 at age 65, played with most of the jazz giants of his era: Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Chick Corea, Coleman Hawkins, Horace Silver, Sonny Rollins, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis and Art Blakey.

"Miles Ahead," about the life and music of Davis, will be filmed "entirely in Greater Cincinnati in the coming months," said Kristen Erwin Schlotman, film commission executive director.

"We look forward to exploring the culture, musicians and backdrop of this city. We are hoping to work closely with the community to bring this project to (the) screen," said Cheadle in the film commission release today.

When Davis was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006, biographer Ashley Kahn called Davis visionary, "eternal modernist" and "a force of nature."

"With an ear that disregarded categories of style, he sought out new musical worlds, and generations followed in his footsteps. While the creative rush and experimental charge that come to most musicians in youth eventually run down, Davis held an exploratory edge for most of his 65 years. It had to be fresh, or forget it," Kahn wrote.

Cheadle, 49, also an accomplished songwriter and saxophonist, was nominated for a 2004 Grammy Award, in addition to his one Oscar nomination ("Hotel Rwanda" in 2005) and six Emmy nominations.

Zoe Saldana (NBC's "Rosemary's Baby," "Avatar") and Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi from "Star Wars") also will star in the film.

"Miles Ahead" will be the fifth motion picture to shoot in the area using Ohio filmmakers' tax incentives, Schlotman said.

It's at least the fifth time Cincinnati will be used to portray New York City, as it did for Blanchett's "Carol," "A Rage in Harlem" (1990), "The Public Eye" (1991) and "Lost in Yonkers" (1992).

"This is what we set out to do: Create a production ecosystem in Greater Cincinnati that not only impacts our workforce and economy, but also enhances our culture and community," Schlotman said in the announcement. "We intend to roll out the red carpet and help Cheadle and team make this incredible story."

"Cincinnati has a lot to offer and we are excited to be here," said producer Pam Hirsch in the release. After a "long and thoughtful process," producers "landed on Cincinnati because of the attention and total cooperation of the film commission, the state's film incentive, the locations and the good will of the people."

Musicians, extras, crew wanted

Contact info for the crew hiring at this link.

Sounds good.
1399908385000-Don-Cheadle-2007-ap.jpg

ЯAW

Banned
I do wonder if Don Cheadle can direct. Ewan hasn't been in a good movie in decade and if Zoe isn't CGI character then I won't expect much from her either. Hopefully it's good but I'm not holding my breath.

Oersted

On the negative side, black people still pretty much only get the leads in historic movies.

On the positive, Cheadle, Saldana and Gregor.

ЯAW;111723130 said:
I do wonder if Don Cheadle can direct. Ewan hasn't been in a good movie in decade and if Zoe isn't CGI character then I won't expect much from her either. Hopefully it's good but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheadle: Who knows.

McGregor: The Men who stare at goats, the Impossible, Osage Country, Philipp Morris.

Saldana: Good in Blood Ties and Losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom