• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles morales kinda sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to finish this game. It’s not a bad game at all. But Jesus Christ the way they did his character is fucking terrible. I loved into the spider-verse but this particular version in this storyline. The things he says. The voice acting. It’s honestly annoying me to the point of pissing me off and I don’t want to play as him. I know I tend to have stronger than normal reactions to shit like this but goddamn I can’t be the only one who finds this character completely insufferable can I?

Dacon

Banned
I have read his comics. He is actually one of the most successful alternate version of a popular character. He is amazing IMO.

So have I, and honestly I think he's kind of dull and uninteresting, and being held back by being tied to the Spider-Man ip. Would have faired better with his own original identity, but he's def better in the comics than he is in this fucking game.

Miles' voice is AWFUL. Every time he talks I just can't.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
0*dLX_YHprGfitOVUG.gif

Jethalal

Banned
So have I, and honestly I think he's kind of dull and uninteresting, and being held back by being tied to the Spider-Man ip. Would have faired better with his own original identity, but he's def better in the comics than he is in this fucking game.

Miles' voice is AWFUL. Every time he talks I just can't.
YMMV but I personally love the character. He is different enough from Peter and they have tried to separate him from the name but that didn't stick-they tried to name him Kid Arachnid or something and it sucked. There are many different comics with different authors so everyone's experience may vary. I read the Brian M Bendis run and it was amazing.
I'll play the game later this year, it seems to be fundamentally different from the comics with changes to his mother, relation with Peter, etc. Excited to try it out.

White-fire

With Peter being alive he becomes a redundant character. If you don't have the stones to kill off Peter like Brian Michael Bendis(Creator) and the Spiderverse movie did then don't even bother using Miles. No one needs Spiderman Jr.

They have only released one mainline Spider-Man game. They just introduced Miles and now they can choose whether to continue the Peter Parker storyline after the sequel.

To answer the OP, I never found his voice acting any worse or annoying than Peter Parker’s on Spider-Man PS4. I thought it was fine.

Mister Wolf

They have only released one mainline Spider-Man game. They just introduced Miles and now they can choose whether to continue the Peter Parker storyline after the sequel.

To answer the OP, I never found his voice acting any worse or annoying than Peter Parker’s on Spider-Man PS4. I thought it was fine.
If you were going to do Miles then Peter needed to have died in the first game. Miles was never Peter's Robin/Nightwing. He was a replacement. They just want it both ways because they are too cowardly to kill off Peter.

Azurro

Banned
I've been hearing nothing but praise for it other than the length. I actually bought it before I can even secure a PS5 😔

I've played a couple of hours. Miles' voice is just so incredibly whiny and annoying and the writing is so cringy, but supposedly gets much better later.

Last edited:

Keihart

Comic Miles being better ?

Only good Miles it's the one on Spiderverse and slowly every incarnation of him will be more similar probably.

Haven't played the game, but based on footage i've seen, Miles sound super hella freaking annoying when he's swinging.

Something about the voice actor just sounds like he's tightening his lungs and trying to sound high pitched but in a lower intonation which sounds really...odd.

He sounded perfectly fine walking and talking like a normal person when I played the base Spiderman game, not sure what happened when it came to him swinging around.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I do find it kinda funny that they're doing the whole representation thing with... the whitest black kid I've ever seen in a game. You could swap his character model out and nobody would be able to tell thanks to the VO and the lines he's given. They put zero emphasis on his African American heritage and how that might shape his character. I mean, maybe the point is that it shouldn't...? I can't keep up with what's supposed to be good representation and what isn't any more.

That said, they do do the "black character? slap some trap hi-hats on the entire soundtrack" thing which is hilarious. They did it in Black Panther too and I thought it was a joke at first.

Last edited:
Into the spider verse he was great - this I don’t know how you could not be annoyed by him. Like he’s just kinda “aw, shucks” and just a little bitch in general. Way too nice to people and a terrible decision maker. This is all compounded by the fact that his voice makes him sound 13 when he’s supposed to be 17. Like how are you this naive, how do you lack street smarts on this level growing up in New York City? Which is where I live also so it confuses me.

I don’t really remember the first game I never finished it. Barely got past the first two hours I think.

Last edited:
Did you play the first game? Lot of the character dialogue was corny and/or cringe af, so I think that’s just where they are going with it. I was really hoping Peter would web MJ’s stupid mouth shut half the time, that or let her get 86’d by a henchman whenever she tried to butt in.
I played I think like two hours of it. I couldn’t tell you what happened - I remember a museum or something

Hoppa

I do find it kinda funny that they're doing the whole representation thing with... the whitest black kid I've ever seen in a game. You could swap his character model out and nobody would be able to tell thanks to the VO and the lines he's given. They put zero emphasis on his African American heritage and how that might shape his character. I mean, maybe the point is that it shouldn't...? I can't keep up with what's supposed to be good representation and what isn't any more.
I would've agreed with you but there's a crucial part around the middle of the game where he jumps off a building with the exaggerated swagger of a black teen

Roufianos

Nah, he's kind of awesome. Just a really naive kid who sees the best in people. Plenty of room for him to develop.

I couldn't stand Peter in this game, he was only in it for 5 mins and had way more awful / cringe jokes than Miles.

Nah, he's kind of awesome. Just a really naive kid who sees the best in people. Plenty of room for him to develop.

I couldn't stand Peter in this game, he was only in it for 5 mins and had way more awful / cringe jokes than Miles.
I mean I’m not comparing him to Peter he was in it for like a second. I’m playing as miles morales so I’m just talking about the main character I’m playing as getting on my nerves - the amount of naïveté is preposterous. And the voice acting makes it worse

none of the other characters annoy me like him. The villain girl is good - his uncle is good. Maybe the main bad guy kinda is a little generic but still not completely annoying,

Last edited:
I have read his comics. He is actually one of the most successful alternate version of a popular character. He is amazing IMO.
I’m only talking about him in the game I have no clue about the comics I never was into Spider-Man. Like I said tho I think he was awesome in into the spider verse if that’s the normal version of the character. Just this portrayal is super lame to me.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Loved Miles Morales but yeah his voice can get a little squeaky sometimes (although sounding like Luke Cage or something would be absurd).

Don’t really have an issue with the existence of the character or anything. It’s actually a nice twist to have a “Harlem Spider-Man” and I don’t think it’s necessary for him to fully replace Peter Parker.

I do agree with the sentiment that The Tinkerer is supremely underwhelming as a villain. The inclusion of Rhino as a mid-boss doesn’t do much to dispel that notion.

Regardless, I’m definitely looking forward to more games in the franchise!

Last edited:
Loved Miles Morales but yeah his voice can get a little squeaky sometimes (although sounding like Luke Cage or something would be absurd).

Don’t really have an issue with the existence of the character or anything. It’s actually a nice twist to have a “Harlem Spider-Man” and I don’t think it’s necessary for him to fully replace Peter Parker.

I do agree with the sentiment that The Tinkerer is supremely underwhelming as a villain. The inclusion of Rhino as a mid-boss doesn’t do much to dispel that notion.

Regardless, I’m definitely looking forward to more games in the franchise!
See I actually don’t mind the tinkerer stuff. I don’t have an issue with his existence either but I don’t really find Spider-Man himself to be all that compelling either. The game plays better than the first from what I remember (as I said did not play much of that one) - but I dunno if I’ll play more of them after this. It’s not totally thrilling for me to swing around NYC that much after a certain point.

I've always found Spiderman insufferable. Constantly making unfunny, square, jokes.
As a whole this is largely true of the character and why I was never totally into Spider-Man stuff in the first place. Feels like it’s bumped up a notch and even worse in this tho - it’s not even the one liners it’s the way he’s just totally inept even though he has crazy powers - like the dude can turn invisible, he can electrify shit - AND he can do normal spider man stuff. Yet still, he acts weak as hell and is going around telling everybody he’s spider man and is just way too naive. And again the voice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom