• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennial Average Median Income Per State

New map proves it, Millennials are killing the median income! Will the millennials reign of terror ever end?

CyKIGFmXAAAaFz7.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/deray/status/802353325702344704

Mathieran

Banned
Wow that is bad. I'm not doing very well myself, make about 33k in NC so I'm not very high above the median.

Edit: NM I thought the median was 29, turns out it's 20. Guess I'm doing okay

I know that California is a big state, but considering the vast majority of the population is in urban areas, that median income is insanely low. There's no way it should be lower than Nevada.

Edit: Wow even lower than Wyoming. I guess this takes into account all the unemployed and interns.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Median household income is a bit over 50k so adults starting their careers are going to make a bit less than half of that.

Meatfist

Note that the youngest millennials are college-aged and may only be working part time, which may skew the median downward.

🤔🤔🤔

That's one way to skew numbers, I'd much rather see the numbers for those who work/are available to work full time

SeanC

Damn, Cali.

Lived here for years, it's not like I'm making a shitton but I can't imagine trying to get by on less than 30k.

Edit: I suppose this is maybe more rual areas into account? The cities are no-way for that amount.

Isn't $20,000 a year like minimum wage?

It would work out to $9.62 an hour assuming 80 hours per pay period and 26 pay periods over the year. So above federal, but below some state minimum wages. But I guess at that point, the hourly would match whatever the state is if it is higher.

Lord Fagan

Wonder what kinds of jobs are on the high end of the scale. The lower ones have to be fast food, right?

White-collar slave stuff. Lots of telecommuting and lowish-tier office management positions that require a degree, but you could honestly teach a motivated 17-year-old to accomplish.

Pkaz01

I know that California is a big state, but considering the vast majority of the population is in urban areas, that median income is insanely low. There's no way it should be lower than Nevada.

Edit: Wow even lower than Wyoming. I guess this takes into account all the unemployed and interns.
Nevada is so high cause of all the tip based jobs in Las Vegas

Edit-unless this doesnt include tips, would then nevermind lol

Meowster

Higher than the median of Missouri by a few thousand. It's not that hard in some of the suburbs of rural areas but surviving on that in the Metro areas by just yourself.. eek. It isn't easy (or cheap) to live in the city as much as I love it.

That does seem low. I'd like to see a comparison of this with the unemployment rate. It seems like a lot of people have jobs but aren't getting paid much.

Isn't $20,000 a year like minimum wage?

Depends on the state but that comes up to around $10 an hour, and that is around where a lot of states set their minimum wage. Federal minimum wage is like $7.

Maxinas

$21,000 in California is terribad. Any smart Millennial would be living with their parents in this day and age to save up some money.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
🤔🤔🤔

That's one way to skew numbers, I'd much rather see the numbers for those who work/are available to work full time

College age kids make up a very low percentage of millennials at this point, though. The years they're using are kids born from 1981-1997, i.e.people aged 20-36. The overwhelming majority of those people are out of college and in the workforce.

NandoGip

$30k in MA isn't enough to live alone

Cost of housing, transportation, food, and health insurance are really high

Maybe you can get 2 out of 4. Most people pick housing and food, or compromise on all 4.

Just my experience...

Dyle

Just barely above average right now, still waiting for college to pay off. At least my parents are able to afford health insurance for me, for now

RevoDS

Jesus that's awfully low across the board, even taking into account that it includes part-timers.

I would've expected 30-35000 average.

On the bright side, I'm essentially right at the average working part-time...

Top Bottom