• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire to Millennials: Stop Buying Avocado Toast If You Want to Buy a Home

conpfreak

He ain't wrong though, when saving to buy your first house getting rid of bad spending habits is key.

That, and not living where housing prices are ubsurd. My last house cost me 100 grand, it would have been a 2 million dollar home in some cities.

Yeah, but buying 4 $4 coffees a day isn't the reason why millennials aren't buying a home. >$3,800 is good savings each year by cutting those out, but when you're expecting a >$100,000 down payment for 20% in some of the high value markets, it isn't much. Even 10% is out of reach for many until years have passed.

painey

my friend went to Nashville recently and spent $10 on a baked potato with cheese and sour cream. I couldn't believe it.

GodOfVG103

Neo Member
Only ways to build wealth:

1.Get a High paying job
2.Start a successful business
3. Inherit money
4. Marry someone wealthy
5.Win the lotto

So the question becomes, why do “rich” people keep telling poor people to “save and cut back”.
Even if you save and cut back with a low paying job/income that isn’t going to really help you get out of your situation.

Basically when you hear cut back from “x” to gain more money = troll

Fucking poor people have iPhones and millenials are eating avocado toast instead of sinking thousands of dollars into a shitty housing market. The whole country is going to hell.

I don't think saving on a few bucks here and there is going to amount to much if your pay is shit lmao.

Yes. I think that is the point of this. Folks will be in their mid to late 30s before they can ever consider buying a home. It's fair to say that people don't have a choice but, to have that double income in order to do this. Thus, forcing civil unions. Shame.

the study found that a lot of young homeowners got a financial boost from their parents when making their purchase.

My case exactly. Got lucky. Extremely lucky.

I always love the argument "just buy a house where it's cheap!!!" Ignoring the fact that a) it's where jobs arent and b) no thanks. I'd rather not own than live in some lifeless flyover shithole even if housing prices are 100k.

I did this. Well, not where houses were cheap, but cheap-er. I have a 2 1/2 hour round-trip commute each day to work that is slowly eroding my soul.

Freely spending on avocados — the pricey, popular superfruit beloved by young people — may be one of the reasons why some young people can't afford a house, according to Australian millionaire and property mogul Tim Gurner.
"When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn't buying smashed avocado for $19 and four coffees at $4 each," Gurner told the Australian news show 60 Minutes.
Go fuck yourself dickhead

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just purchased this $30 Italian Meal

NwqsK.jpg

Looks miserable, but you could romance it up with a bunch of candles.

BTW Avocado toast sounds pretty delicious to me right about now. Maybe on some Dave's Killer multigrain bread with a little salt, pepper and a teeny splash of lime juice. Damn.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I dont know about toast.. but it is true, the #1 reason my friends who dont own houses, cant afford them, is because they dont budget worth a shit and buy stupid ass shit. I mean hell we see it on GAF all the time. People complaining they cant buy a game or they will overdraft, or iphone threads with people buying brand new ones who will also complain they cant afford a home or a car. You cant have everything people, choose what matters to you and stop the needless spending.

I always love the argument "just buy a house where it's cheap!!!" Ignoring the fact that a) it's where jobs arent and b) no thanks. I'd rather not own than live in some lifeless flyover shithole even if housing prices are 100k.

This. The whole point and reason for the existence of cities is clustering effects. It is different in the internet age, but I know for a fact that business is still mostly done with people in person where you are (even in Silicon Valley VC start up shit). Also, being able to hire people in cheap areas remotely is actually what is pushing wages DOWN in aggregate. I don't have any numbers on it but I wouldn't doubt that the average level of productivity of those employees is lower as well.

Zoe

Avocados aren't even that expensive.

For what you get, they kind of are. Link from the article in the OP:

http://time.com/money/4512985/avocado-prices-increase/
The price increases have been seen across the country -- even in the Southwest, the region that typically sees the cheapest avocado prices. There, the average price of $1.65 per fruit is the highest ever seen in the area, and double the amount that it was six months ago. Prices in the Northeast jumped by as much as $0.57.

There are many other fruits where you can get the same volume (or more) for much less.

And the person quoted in the OP is in Australia which is probably affected by import costs:
Mashable pointed to an October article from The Australian columnist Bernard Salt criticizing those who spend a lot on them. "I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more," he wrote.

Rich idiot who never actually sacrificed that much to become rich tells poor people to sacrifice even further than they already do.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

1.Get a High paying job
3. Inherit money
4. Marry someone wealthy
5.Win the lotto

So the question becomes, why do “rich” people keep telling poor people to “save and cut back”.
Even if you save and cut back with a low paying job/income that isn’t going to really help you get out of your situation.

Hmm, 3 through 5 is definitely out. 1 and 2 are possibly but highly unlikely.

Fuck.

These "fuck the millennials" articles are getting a bit tiring. I went to a training conference for work a month ago and they literally had a whole seminar about how millennials are fucking over our country. I just kinda slid down in my seat and looked confused the whole time.

My boy opened up a poke restaurant and took him a few months to hire a full staff and still looking for kitchen help, he recruited in HS and Colleges around SF/Milbrea area...problem is nobody wanna fucking work! You would think HS kids or College kids willing to work but these damn kids these day think there worth more and won't work in a restaurant...and my boy pays more then min. Wage...crazy these day...also heard about a ramen restaurant that having hard time hiring and his opening day been push back because the lack of staffing

But the same house my parents bought for 3,500 avocados now costs 25,000 avocados

This is so horrible to see actually. My wife and me are looking for good appartments/houses to buy now and when my parents bought their home it was worth around 300.000€. Now its worth 500.000-600.000€.
Even the apts that were worth 100.000€ 10 years ago now are worth around 160.000€.
Its horrible....

My boy opened up a poke restaurant and took him a few months to hire a full staff and still looking for kitchen help, he recruited in HS and Colleges around SF/Milbrea area...problem is nobody wanna fucking work! You would think HS kids or College kids willing to work but these damn kids these day think there worth more and won't work in a restaurant...

But what if they are worth more than that? I have a law degree, currently looking for jobs and wouldnt want to work in a restaurant. My wife has a Master in engineering and also wouldnt wanna work in a restaurant.
The people who became a policeman in Germany 30 years ago didnt need high education, if you wanna become one now you most definitely need at least a HS education.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My boy opened up a poke restaurant and took him a few months to hire a full staff and still looking for kitchen help, he recruited in HS and Colleges around SF/Milbrea area...problem is nobody wanna fucking work! You would think HS kids or College kids willing to work but these damn kids these day think there worth more and won't work in a restaurant...and my boy pays more then min. Wage...crazy these day...also heard about a ramen restaurant that having hard time hiring and his opening day been push back because the lack of staffing

Whereabouts? I love Poke and Ramen.

Parch

Reminds me of a documentary I saw about a millenial going through bankruptcy after her aroma therapy shop failed.
"Can't I just keep this one credit card?"
"But $8 lattes and pedicures ARE essential. Those are the only things keeping me sane."

Patapwn

I don't buy avocado toast and still can't afford a home. Anymore tips Mr Millionaire?
Buy low sell high. If you can't afford the initial investment just ask your dad to loan you a few million.

You poor because you don't respect the bootstrap. But if you follow my advice, kid, you might be able to turn your situation around. Man I'm such a good guy, helping like this. I should be rewarded with another tax cut.

Amory

It's a fair point, not necessarily for avocados specifically but a lot of young people do waste a ton of money on shit we don't need.

Growing up we never went out to dinner, instead enjoying the same staple, cheap meals that my mom would cook every night. I never saw my parents buying drinks or breakfast or lunch at a fast food or coffee shop place. We didn't get new TVs or cars or appliances or gadgets, basically ever. We went on modest vacations once a year, etc.

And that was how everyone pretty much grew up in my town. People saved every dime they could. I just don't generally see that kind of discipline in my generation, myself absolutely included.

That's not to say things aren't hard for millennials, but we could do way more to be frugal.

reKon

Banned
I would save at most $1000 a year packing my lunch instead of eating out at places like Chipotle. I'm willing to pay for that convenience. Checkmate old people.

jwk94

I have a friend that maxed out a credit card and cannot make the payments. Yet, still buys a $6 frappuccino everyday.

I kinda see where this dude is coming from (the billionaire). Basically, he's saying (very poorly), learn to save. When I was in college (1.5 years ago), way too many people would talk about being poor and then go drinking every thursday, friday and/or saturday.

My ex would complain about how she didn't have money to take her dog to the vet, yet she'd buy him flea stuff that she knew wouldn't work, paintings she'd just leave in the kitchen, countless decorations for the house, fast food or grocery shopping every single day, and going out to eat and shopping every weekend. Just made me shake my head whenever she said she didn't have the money to do something important.

Hari Seldon

1.Get a High paying job
3. Inherit money
4. Marry someone wealthy
5.Win the lotto

I agree that if you have a low paying job you are fucked, but even if you land a good paying job you still shouldn't be blowing money on frivolous shit like daily starbucks trips. I know a ton of people who seemingly have lots of money but have no savings and are in debt. The dude in the OP is correct that if you are working up from nothing, good budget management is a key to success. Not the only key, but a very important one.

avocados are actually bad

please stop putting them on so much otherwise good food

this i can agree with

I agree that if you have a low paying job you are fucked, but even if you land a good paying job you still shouldn't be blowing money on frivolous shit like daily starbucks trips. I know a ton of people who seemingly have lots of money but have no savings and are in debt. The dude in the OP is correct that if you are working up from nothing, good budget management is a key to success. Not the only key, but a very important one.

nah the dude is just an asshole because he is rich and never knew hardship and he cant tell me not to buy collectors editions of all my games.

Fuzzery

I mean... it's sf. $15 ain't livable wage there

reKon

Banned
How do you all feel about those people you meet in college who complain about student loans and expenses yet spent $2,000 on their Macbook Pro, which they use for browsing Facebook and writing papers?

ReAxion

you used to be able to graduate college debt-free and take your degree to a bank for an instantly approved car loan and house loan. (granted you had to be white.)

the world isn't like that anymore.

I mean... it's sf. $15 ain't livable wage there

If ur HS and College kid...u would work for $15 ...shit I used to work two job for way less ...and I grew up in the city

I duno, I guess I took pride in making my own money and actually enjoy going to work and meet people instead of doing the social media thing

Sarek

I'll say the same as the rich person and I'm quite poor. You can save a ton of money by budgeting and really thinking what is important and what isn't. Wish I had realized that years earlier. Of course you can always just go "Fuck the rich!" and keep wasting your money.

woxel1

How do you all feel about those people you meet in college who complain about student loans and expenses yet spent $2,000 on their Macbook Pro, which they use for browsing Facebook and writing papers?
But MacBook Pros, unlike avocados, retain their value over time.

You cant generalize though. Even if they spend shit on that, it doesnt matter when during my parents time housing was far cheaper than nowadays.
Every craftsman could buy land and property. Nowadays craftsmen here in Germany couldnt afford that and even university graduates earn less compared to 20 years ago and have to pay more for housing.

I know people who spend a lot on shit they dont need and complain.
I also know people who dont who are actually trying to save money. And that also doesnt work when you put your money in a bank, get 0,25% interest while the inflation each year is 2% and even lose money every year like that.

Ron Mexico

Yeah, but buying 4 $4 coffees a day isn't the reason why millennials aren't buying a home. >$3,800 is good savings each year by cutting those out, but when you're expecting a >$100,000 down payment for 20% in some of the high value markets, it isn't much. Even 10% is out of reach for many until years have passed.

It's a damn good thing 20% (or 10% or even 5%) isn't the only way into home ownership.

The misconceptions about the homebuying process to me are in many ways just as problematic as the market itself. There's pluses and minuses to every single way you view a purchase. Saving 20% down means no mortgage insurance, yet waiting until 20% down could mean a higher rate, thus negating the savings of accumulating the 20% down.

And that's just one very basic example. Note, you do not hear me saying bootstraps in any way, shape or form except one-- ask questions, be knowledgeable, use the immense number of resources available to make the right choice. This isn't about $19 avocado toast. It's about critical thinking. Part of that is the realization there's not a one size fits all solution.

Still the most frustrating part is how tone deaf all these articles come across as. We should all have been taught budgeting and responsible use of credit, etc etc. Making an article about avocado toast, while I can see the intent, just derails the conversation into the same old tired nonsense.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There absolutely is something to say about living within your means and knowing the fucking value of a dollar.

Buying a 6$ coffee, a 9$ sandwich and spending 15+$ on eating out every day and still complaining that you can't possibly make ends meet is fucking stupid. Savings have to start somewhere, and small reductions in everyday spending will invariably lead to results.

But this guy is a grade-A dick in the way he chose to word this though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Rich person says poor people need to sacrifice more; News at 11
What, do you think poor people deserve to live like human beings? Nah, screw that, if they are poor they should suffer and not have a single nice thing!

The sad thing is there are lots of people who actually think like that. Zero empathy or compassion.

Truant

Just bought a 75 square meter apartment in Oslo. It's extremely expensive.

I checked what I could get in my home town for the same price, and it was basically a mansion and definitely not a bunch of avocados.

Top Bottom