• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Kinyou

She's a real gem this one.
angryiwzls.gif

This woman is a caricature of evil

Mikey Jr.

You know what? Part of me HOPES they don't take it down. I kind of want stupid people to lose money.

It makes me feel better on the inside.

jcm

At first this seemed like it would be a lame "women > men at money management" anecdote. Then I got to the end and....what? I don't get it. Her takeaway seems to be that women prefer to work together and compromise on how to make the optimal use of money instead of greedily hoarding it themselves...except she's saying this is a bad thing.

Exactly. The fact that she thinks those women's unwillingness to introduce divisiveness and strife into a group over a lousy twenty bucks means they have a dysfunctional relationship with money is mind boggling to me.

Jac_Solar

If someone went into a class knowing that it is being taught by someone closely related to economics, female empowerment and so forth, who would actually take some conveniently, or oddly placed bills? If there was something weird like a bunch of dollar bills laying on a table in such a class, you'd naturally assume it was a part of the class, and just completely avoid it. That's logic, reason, deduction.

The fact that they discussed it means that they are probably friends/know each other very well. Choosing to not sit near it indicates immaturity, or a lack of self control -- more likely, it was an exaggerated act by the girls to make it clear that they didn't want anything to do with it.

Their reluctance to accept a 20$ bill sounded kind of odd. It also sounded like something a group of tight knit friends that didn't want to be rude by taking the money for themselves would do -- so, instead of taking it for no other reason but greed, they came up with a goal met.

Neither scenario proves anything tangible.

If it was 20 million dollars, and it was extremely clear that the money was real, and someone would get it (IE; Not a joke.), it would be a different situation. Obviously.

Nope, turns out this Julie is Susan's best friend who she's known for decades. Amazing.

That actually makes me feel better. Knowing that she's (blindly and without an ounce of critical thinking or self-awareness) supporting a close friend is much less frightening than to think that a total stranger would buy all that bullshit about someone she doesn't know.

I'm sorry, why are we angry at this entrepreneurial woman who just taught her 9 year old daughter how to make money using new technology? Is it because she has money? Is it because people were dumb enough to fund this? Kickstarter is a business model...so sometimes you'll get your project funded...and other times you'll get your project funded and then be able to run away with some of the rewards. But I don't see why anyone would report this to Kickstarter, unless I missed some sort of violation.

This isn't even entrepreneurial, what business is she starting? Entrepreneurial would be like having her sell lemonade or something. I mean really if she is keen on providing her daughter with an education in RPG creation maybe she should use their riches instead. This is a fund my life, which is against kickstarter rules, not an actual project that is intended to see returns. It opens up a bad precedent for KS to be flooded with "hey i'm a quirky person, fund my tuition?" type nonsense. I'm sure these people can start their own website for that.

Kinyou

Has anyone seen the latest, backers-only project update? Would almost be worth pledging $1 to see it.
I wouldn't be surprised when it's

"Mean older brothers say she can't so 9yr old
daughter's proving SHE CAN build an RPG AND pay for it!
kck.st/derp"

If the sons are mean people like the video makes them out to be, it's the parents' fault. Like I want to give money to incompetent parents.

moka

Happy to see that this is still going. I can't believe the KS is still up.

Also, that post about if girls are afraid of money is hilarious.

ZenVolta

I started a go fund me to help raise money for a new computer when mine died. No one wants to help me keep doing what I love doing, making youtube/twitch videos. But send a millionairess daughter to summer camp?! HECK YEAH! 23,000$, done.

Keio

For a Finer World
Cancelled my pledge. I supported it the way it was sold but happy to read this thread to see how dodgy this really is.

That video easily cost more money than than the goal of the project was asking for in the first place.

In any case, I reported it. I'm sure others did too. Hopefully kickstarter takes this down soon. It will suck if it reaches the end of its drive.

LukeTim

She's listed by Forbes as one of the ten "most powerful women entrepreneurs," so I assume she must be.

She's there alright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortun...ortune_Most_Powerful_Women_Entrepreneurs_2009

CEO of The Judgement Group (which sounds like a horrible organization).

This is all looking incredibly shady, to me... www.judgementgroup.com... another company with a pathetic website (which definitely doesn't look like a Forbes List top ten most powerful women quality website), this time no logo. And she's got another crowdfunding site on the way www.moneyandcompany.com made with GoDaddy instant page. Maybe she isn't a millionaire, and that's why she can't afford a proper website.

Sentenza

She's there alright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortun...ortune_Most_Powerful_Women_Entrepreneurs_2009

CEO of The Judgement Group (which sounds like a horrible organization).

This is all looking incredibly shady, to me... www.judgementgroup.com... another company with a pathetic website (which definitely doesn't look like a Forbes List top ten most powerful women quality website), this time no logo. And she's got another crowdfunding site on the way www.moneyandcompany.com made with GoDaddy instant page. Maybe she isn't a millionaire, and that's why she can't afford a proper website.
Well, you have to give her that: she's not a casual, she's very dedicate to the goal of having other people's money.

moka

What the fuck?

I just tweeted her back:

Haha what utter bullshit. This woman is a filthy rich, smart, greedy, misandrist.

Xeni JardinVerified account
‏@xeni
@avantgame her children lose the most. The girl as well as the boys. And the men's rights pigs can go fuck themselves.

Needless to say, I'm fucking pissed now. I knew it was going to happen, I just knew they'd spin it into misogyny eventually.

It's fucking hilarious how they've managed to refute none of the solid points laid out in the image, very handily made by /b/. They just start screaming misogyny anyway. This has absolutely nothing to do with misogyny, she just happens to be a woman. Maybe they should take a look at the very sexist things she writes on her blog or whatever? To them that stuff is just being equal.

vehn

Could someone do the 10k pledge and then cancel it before the kick starter is over? Then you'd see all the drama of people being like wtf someone committed 10k

LukeTim

Oh god. It's a wonder she could type all of that tweet with her knees jerking all over the place.

It's really irritating to see people paint this as misogyny... because it really isn't. I don't give a shit that it's a girl, or that it's Susan Wilson's Kickstarter.

My objection is that it's someone (man or woman) misusing a service (a service which is a fundamentally good idea) to simply make a bunch of cash and pay for something they have already paid for.

Bedlam

Haha, looks like she blocked me for:

Henrik ‏@HeyitsHenrik 7m
@avantgame Lesson: wrap your scam in a concocted pseudo-feminist sob story and every bit of valid criticism will be labelled misogynist.

Truthbomb was too much for her to take.

moka

Haha, looks like she blocked me for:

Henrik ‏@HeyitsHenrik 7m
@avantgame Lesson: wrap your scam in a concocted pseudo-feminist sob story and every bit of valid criticism will be labelled misogynist.

Truthbomb was too much for her to take.

Haha, thats beautiful. I'm gonna tweet that, hope you don't mind.

I think I'm getting too annoyed over this, I'm gonna leave this thread for a while.

Bedlam

Sure, go ahead. Someone should also tell her that Susan is being criticized for breaking KS TOS and ask her what's misogynist about that. And tweet her the megapic link.

Midou

Could someone do the 10k pledge and then cancel it before the kick starter is over? Then you'd see all the drama of people being like wtf someone committed 10k

Do it as TheRealWarrenBuffet too!

I'm not sure where KS HQ is so maybe they still got time till business hours, but if this isn't down by the end of the day, I'm going to lose a lot of respect for them. Maybe it will be time to try to contact KS directly outside the 'report this project' to see why/if they think its legit.

Add to this the Twitter spam which is not a grey area, she clearly spammed it, and you have a 100% complete case for shutting it down.

i wonder how long it'd take for a similar kickstarter to be taken down, considering this one is fairly obviously flouting the rules and yet is still happily up despite the press attention (both negative and positive).

hmm

Bedlam

i wonder how long it'd take for a similar kickstarter to be taken down, considering this one is fairly obviously flouting the rules and yet is still happily up despite the press attention (both negative and positive).

hmm
Is there any noteworthy negative press coverage yet?

I suppose since this is not the kind of relevant sexism story that involves a stupid zombie statue with tits, it's not worth the attention.

Dr.Acula

Banned
If someone went into a class knowing that it is being taught by someone closely related to economics, female empowerment and so forth, who would actually take some conveniently, or oddly placed bills? If there was something weird like a bunch of dollar bills laying on a table in such a class, you'd naturally assume it was a part of the class, and just completely avoid it. That's logic, reason, deduction.

Context absolutely matters. I also think her premise that boys would quickly snatch the money is correct too. Because for a guy, what are the consequences? You either keep the money, or you give it back after the point is proven. But for a girl, the pressure is to not be seen as greedy or shallow.

She further states that even with "no rules" or outside influence, the girls still don't clamor for the cash. But once again, the patriarchal structure is still in place, because the mentor exists as "the leader" regardless of gender, and women have less privilege to show independence in front of a leader than men do. You don't even need money, even raising a hand is fraught with more peril if you're a woman.

Is there any noteworthy negative press coverage yet?

I suppose since this is not the kind of relevant sexism story that involves a stupid zombie statue with tits, it's not worth the attention.

Actually, none that I can find.

None of the gaming sites have actually picked it up properly yet though, so hopefully they do a damn better job than the technology sites which seem to be promoting it more than anything.

The story emerged over the weekend though, so we'll see if it pops up today I guess.

Midou

I almost feel the defense is a parody of itself. They throw around the word misogyny and now it no longer has meaning. It's so damn obvious that it's like they planned out 'if anyone says shit, call them a misogynist'.

It's what happens when there is literally no valid points for them to defend themselves with. 'I'm rich, I don't have to put up with this'.

Top Bottom