• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still can't get over the other con that is a RPG Maker course. I'd almost be tempted to write a quick start guide for her daughter if her kickstarter wasn't also rather dodgy.

There is no backlash. It's just some nerds on the Internet who have noticed what's up. If this got picked up by big sites maybe they'd shut it down but no big site is gonna touch it cos its based on two basic ideas; aww kids are cute and let's stop girls being oppressed. Nobody is going to challenge that.

Ironically, the Internet backlash and actual misogyny this has garnered from MRAs has probably ensured it will stay up, because KS doesn't want to be seen as succumbing to pressure from Internet trolls. They've probably received far more obnoxious and blatantly hateful "reports" (and threats) than legitimate ones explaining why the pitch is against policy, which is likely to make them double down in fear of a media narrative in which KS is manipulated by angry teenagers.

I wonder if the 4chan brigade realizes how much damage they do their "cause" by acting that way. Or if they even care.

LordCanti

I want to set up a parody kickstarter for my Cat.

I want to set up a kickstarter to send myself to random fun summer destinations. Why not, right?

If this woman had taken her $800 and ran (either sending her kid to camp or not, who would have ever known) no one would be on her case right now. Instead she decided to add outlandish reward tiers even after the project goal was met, and to enlist old friends to defend her in the kickstarter comments section while claiming that we're all a bunch of misogynists with an agenda and not people that don't want kickstarter to turn into a grifters paradise.

I still can't get over the other con that is a RPG Maker course. I'd almost be tempted to write a quick start guide for her daughter if her kickstarter wasn't also rather dodgy.

This.

I pretty much learned a majority of my RPG Maker skills by myself or later on with XP's programming, using guides created by users on the internet.

There's no way that I would pay anyone to go to an RPG Maker camp. Reminds me of when I was younger when friends played hundreds of pounds to go to a "web design camp" where all they did was teach them the basics of using the open-source WYSIWYG HTML editor Nvu.

Anybody have a kid they're willing to exploit?

GAF should totally make a similar Kickstarter and rake an in an extra $20 grand. If she can do it, why can't we? :p

I want to set up a parody kickstarter for my Cat.

You totally should. The sky's the limit! Just throw in a brief mention to some kind of project, and you're all set.

Also reported it. Mentioned her Twitter and that she was sending multiple unsolicited @messages, which they even go as far as mentioning as an option on the report form. At this rate, it's probably at they stage that the 4chan and GAF fuss has triggered Rule 19 and they'll ignore the report, and if so and they let this campaign conclude then I'll ignore Kickstarter.

Anybody have a kid they're willing to exploit?

GAF should totally make a similar Kickstarter and rake an in an extra $20 grand. If she can do it, why can't we? :p

That's what I was thinking...Flood KS with similar campaigns to force them to address this issue. "My 9 year old daughter wants to start her own dental clinic and prove her mean uncle wrong". She'll need money for college and dental school tuition as well as any other books/educational costs.

Also reported it. Mentioned her Twitter and that she was sending multiple unsolicited @messages, which they even go as far as mentioning as an option on the report form. At this rate, it's probably at they stage that the 4chan and GAF fuss has triggered Rule 19 and they'll ignore the report, and if so and they let this campaign conclude then I'll ignore Kickstarter.

I don't see much point in reporting it, considering the email she got back from Kickstarter.

Finally, for all the folks in the comment section nitpicking, there are exponentially more that are rooting for you, Mackenzie (AND her brother!). You can count the folks at kickstarter in that crowd.

Brak

Ironically, the Internet backlash and actual misogyny this has garnered from MRAs has probably ensured it will stay up, because KS doesn't want to be seen as succumbing to pressure from Internet trolls. They've probably received far more obnoxious and blatantly hateful "reports" (and threats) than legitimate ones explaining why the pitch is against policy, which is likely to make them double down in fear of a media narrative in which KS is manipulated by angry teenagers.

I wonder if the 4chan brigade realizes how much damage they do their "cause" by acting that way. Or if they even care.
If kickstarter would leave up a scam just to stick to some idiots who may or may not have sent hateful messages*, then that's even more despicable frankly, and I would still end up boycotting them.

*n.b. there are no hateful messages from MRA in the comments section, and in fact all of the most vile comments are from supporters of the kickstarter.

I don't see much point in reporting it, considering the email she got back from Kickstarter.

As a poster previously pointed out...who's John?

We're a team of 52 in NYC with offices in the Lower East Side. Half of us work on the product (designing and coding), and the other half work with the community. We love what we do, and who we do it with.

Hello from: Perry Chen, Yancey Strickler, Charles Adler, Lance Ivy, Cassie Marketos, Fred Benenson, Andrew Cornett, Brett Camper, Cindy Au, Daniella Jaeger, Cedric Howe, Samuel Cole, Kendel Ratley, Mike McGregor, Justin Kazmark, Meaghan O’Connell, Tieg Zaharia, Elisabeth Holm, Jed Meade, Jared Cohen, Cooper Troxell, Nicole He, Aaron Suggs, Zack Sears, Stephanie Pereira, Aurora Thornhill, Callan Lamb, Jessica Harllee, Alex Cox, Chris Muccioli, Andrew Boyajian, Dan Drabik, Brandon Williams, Tomasz Werner, Katherine Pan, Bridget Best, Erik Kastner, Emily Reese, Shannon Ferguson, Niina Pollari, Bethany Sumner, Ian Scott, Luke Crane, Michal Rosenn, Aaron Robbs, Eli Dvorkin, Christopher Wright, Leland Rechis, Michael Stewart, Ellen Chisa, Jake Loeterman, Shayne Barr.

Finally, for all the folks in the comment section nitpicking, there are exponentially more that are rooting for you, Mackenzie (AND her brother!). You can count the folks at kickstarter in that crowd. Please let us know if you have any questions, John

Also, the bolded doesn't even sound like something a professional would write...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

What percentage do they get from it again? Which is obviously what they are looking at in the first place. Wonder if they see it potentially exploding like Antia's did, then they rake in a good chunk of it.

EDIT Oh yeah.. duh, that could be a fake e-mail...

RpgN

If this doesn't get taken down, is it possible to get the police involved for child exploitation and deceiving people for money? At least have the police investigate the claims.

xnMzbv6.png

Here's the list of people Kickstarter claims are working at the company. Try and find a person called John there. Go on, I'll wait.

Kickstarter said:
We're a team of 52 in NYC with offices in the Lower East Side. Half of us work on the product (designing and coding), and the other half work with the community. We love what we do, and who we do it with.

Complete list of Kickstarter Staff, sorted by first name:

1. Aaron Robbs,
2. Aaron Suggs,
3. Alex Cox,
4. Andrew Boyajian,
5. Andrew Cornett,
6. Aurora Thornhill,
7. Bethany Sumner,
8. Brandon Williams,
9. Brett Camper,
10. Bridget Best,
11. Callan Lamb,
12. Cassie Marketos,
13. Cedric Howe,
14. Charles Adler,
15. Chris Muccioli,
16. Christopher Wright,
17. Cindy Au,
18. Cooper Troxell,
19. Dan Drabik,
20. Daniella Jaeger,
21. Eli Dvorkin,
22. Elisabeth Holm,
23. Ellen Chisa,
24. Emily Reese,
25. Erik Kastner,
26. Fred Benenson,
27. Ian Scott,
28. Jake Loeterman,
29. Jared Cohen,
30. Jed Meade,
31. Jessica Harllee,
32. Justin Kazmark,

33. Katherine Pan,
34. Kendel Ratley,
35. Lance Ivy,
36. Leland Rechis,
37. Luke Crane,
38. Meaghan O’Connell,
39. Michael Stewart,
40. Michal Rosenn,
41. Mike McGregor,
42. Nicole He,
43. Niina Pollari,
44. Perry Chen,
45. Samuel Cole,
46. Shannon Ferguson,
47. Shayne Barr.
48. Stephanie Pereira,
49. Tieg Zaharia,
50. Tomasz Werner,
51. Yancey Strickler,
52. Zack Sears,

No John. She's lying through her teeth.

I mean, c'mon. The employee's names are all public knowledge, there's no need to pull a John Smith out of the air. The missed capital on the first sentence of the alleged e-mail also has me suspicious.

LordCanti

LukeTim

I mean, c'mon. The employee's names are all public knowledge, there's no need to pull a John Smith out of the air. The missed capital on the first sentence of the alleged e-mail also has me suspicious.

Not to mention the lack of capitalization of his own name.

Tubobutts

There is no backlash. It's just some nerds on the Internet who have noticed what's up. If this got picked up by big sites maybe they'd shut it down but no big site is gonna touch it cos its based on two basic ideas; aww kids are cute and let's stop girls being oppressed. Nobody is going to challenge that.

The longer this stays up though, the more open to backlash kickstarter becomes. The purpose of this kickstarter is in theory to pay for a laptop and for camp fees, with the eventual goal of making a game. Can you draw a reasonable distinction between that and a game design student who asks for money to pay for his/her tuition if they plan to release their senior project commercially? Or an animation student that eventually hopes create their own cartoon series but needs help paying for necessary training?

If this isn't taken down then I would hope that people would then try to do that. Whether or not anyone would actually give them money is irrelevant, all that matters is if whether or not kickstarter would approve the project. If they don't, then I would hope people would be curious as to why some people can violate the terms of service while others can't.

Kusagari

There's no proof that Kickstarter doesn't have additional people to answer random emails.

I'm incredibly suspicious of her saying that Kickstarter keeps affirming and is behind her project, though. Screams bullshit either way.

Crom

That's not her father, its Warren Buffett, one of the wealthiest people in the world.

I know of Buffett (even though I couldn't pick him out of a line up)

Those are her gums that are swallowing her teeth though.... right? I hope I got that part correct.

I'll give Kickstarter until the end of the week to issue an official response. If they let this stand then I no longer have any faith in Kickstarter's interest in protecting backers from unscrupulous, exploitative projects/cashgrabbing scams. Kickstarter profiting off of such projects would be gross and constitute a platform I'm unwilling to support. I'd pull my current pledges and not support any kickstarters in the future.

As has been mentioned, urging Kickstarter projects you're interested in to offer alternative means of payment would be a good idea.

Kinyou

Polygon has it up. Naturally all for it. Actually it reads more like a press release.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/25/4135226/9-year-old-girls-kickstarter-campign-to-create-an-rpg
Why the hell do they not address that the mother is a freaking millionaire. I can understand that news sites don't like to choose a side in their reports but her being a millionaire is a fact.
You can report that. Nobody will shit on your carpet for that.

Give people every piece of information and let them then decide if they want to donate some money.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The Polygon write-up mentions the KS being at 11 grand, so I assume it was written before this stuff was discussed. Still, the information was there for people to assess, and clearly the writer of the Polygon article saw no problem with it.

I think we should try and cool down on the personal insults, particularly about her appearance. The majority here are rightfully addressing her actions and her attitude. The infrequent comments about her appearance reflect poorly on a thread of mostly valid criticism.

robot

At first I was like - Awesome! A step in the right direction for Polygon! Then I clicked the link and they are praising it. Poly gone indeed.

Article has been vaporized, it seems. Good work, Polygon. Hopefully it'll be replaced with an article that points out the problems and at the very least the blatant violations of Kickstarter's Terms of Service.

Top Bottom