• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Anyone who funded this is brain dead.

Doesn't matter if it's real or not. Let the brat's parents pay for the camp just like millions of other parents do every year to send their kids to camps. Stop using gender politics as a crutch to make money off gullible dumbasses.

I like the way you phrased it way better than the way I did.

Is "John's" email something only backers cans see? Where's it at?

Update 7, point 3.
Mar 22 17:50 (EDT): hi Susan, This is john from Kickstarter. I sent out an email earlier in the day, I'm not sure you've seen it yet. I'm attaching it below for your reference - let me know if you have questions and I'll be happy to help you out. hi Susan, This is John from kickstarter, we just wanted to get an email out to you with some quick thoughts. First of all - let me just say congratulations. This is an awesome project, and we love seeing such a positive outlook on creativity and ambition geared towards young people. You're a very cool mom for helping her out...A couple of specific thoughts on what you can do to make the project more manageable: You don't have to create stretch goals. It's completely optional. If Mackenzie has something she wants to do for backers to show her appreciation that won't be a burden on her and your family, she can do it. But please don't feel obliged to create stretch goals...Finally, for all the folks in the comment section nitpicking, there are exponentially more that are rooting for you, Mackenzie (AND her brother!). You can count the folks at kickstarter in that crowd. Please let us know if you have any questions, John

Aside from the lack of a John in Kickstarter's staff roll, the bolded has me suspicious.

Her parent is a millionare she can damn well afford to send her kid to rpg maker camp no problem. This should have been shutdown days ago.

Kusagari

It should be called a scam because it has no point. The camp is already paid for. The only reason this kickstarter exists from the mothers own words is "to prove her brothers wrong."

I guess Kickstarter allegedly supporting this means they'll be fine with me starting a kickstarter for people to give me $2,000 bucks to film myself taking a crap. After all it's to prove my friends wrong.

Update 7, point 3.

Aside from the lack of a John in Kickstarter's staff roll, the bolded has me suspicious.

I had never read the full email before. There is no way in hell that's real.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If Kickstarter doesn't end up this it means they are scammers just like this lady since they are getting part of the money. Not only that, but that means anybody can set up a Kickstarter like that, just use a kid, because kids are cute and you're bad if you don't support them, better if female, because if you don't support a female and criticize her you're clearly a misogynist. Shameless way of making money.

Here's Susan Wilson's funding page on her own crowdfunding site: http://www.fundher.com/#!give/cplk

Kitten! Puppy! Give me money! I won't tell you a damned thing about where this money goes!

LukeTim

I think I've got to stop reading the KS comments and updates... it's breeding an unreasonable doubt in my mind that I believe should not be there.

I'm too much of a trusting, compassionate pussy.

The really sad thing about this is that there are millions of kids out there who would also love the opportunity to go to camp, but can't due to real financial restraints.

And yet people are donating to a successful businesswoman ...

I wish I could afford to send my son to this camp. :p

He just started using RPG Maker Ace. He has Aspergers, so it'll end up being Axe Cop-ish in nature I'm sure, as I'm not going to stifle his creativity at his age.

He just started using RPG Maker Ace. He has Aspergers, so it'll end up being Axe Cop-ish in nature I'm sure, as I'm not going to stifle his creativity at his age.

Son? Pfft. Get back to me when your son has a vagina and is black.

(Apologies if you do actually have a son with Asperger's.)

baphomet

If she was a woman of her words the extra money made would be paying for everyone's camp fees. I'm sure there are plenty if other girls (and boys) that would love to go to this.

Fusebox

Banned

Seriously? There's a cause I can get behind. You should speak to the mods about asking for GAF help if you really can't afford it. I'd definitely chip in.

For reference:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51464454&postcount=1071

xnMzbv6.png

An interesting point made on the Kickstarter comment page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use

Kickstarter Terms of Use said:
Kickstarter is not liable for any damages or loss incurred related to rewards or any other use of the Service. Kickstarter is under no obligation to become involved in disputes between any Users, or between Users and any third party arising in connection with the use of the Service. This includes, but is not limited to, delivery of goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties, or representations associated with campaigns on the Site. Kickstarter does not oversee the performance or punctuality of projects. The Company does not endorse any User Submissions. You release Kickstarter, its officers, employees, agents, and successors in rights from claims, damages, and demands of every kind, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed, arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and the Service.

And yet....that "employee" was obviously endorsing her project.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If she was a woman of her words the extra money made would be paying for everyone's camp fees. I'm sure there are plenty if other girls (and boys) that would love to go to this.

As a sideline I have been wondering about this, if she's talked at all about using the excess to pay for $20,000/800 kids who want to go to this camp (?)

As for 'john' at Kickstarter...staff pages aren't necessarily bang up to date. There could really be a john there. But it is strange that they would endorse this KS when they say they don't. It would be absolutely hilarious if it was faked, and that alone should be automatic grounds for shutting this down.

Aurongel

If you have a moral issue with this kickstarter then don't fund it.

Otherwise if you're willing to fund something without checking the financial background of the recipient first, then you deserve to be swindled out of your money by the rich. It's as simple as that, people who are that naive with their money deserve what's coming to them.

LordCanti

Here's Susan Wilson's funding page on her own crowdfunding site: http://www.fundher.com/#!give/cplk

Kitten! Puppy! Give me money! I won't tell you a damned thing about where this money goes!

There is a page that lists some things that money has supposedly gone to, but if you click through to those pages, there is absolutely no mention of them having been helped by her site. It's definitely not a registered charity.

Alucrid

Banned
There is a page that lists some things that money has supposedly gone to, but if you click through to those pages, there is absolutely no mention of them having been helped by her site. It's definitely not a registered charity.

You should capture that cause all I see is a butterfly now.

Kinyou

Son? Pfft. Get back to me when your son has a vagina and is black.

(Apologies if you do actually have a son with Asperger's.)

I do, no worries though, I understand the sarcasm in your post. :)

Seriously? There's a cause I can get behind. You should speak to the mods about asking for GAF help if you really can't afford it. I'd definitely chip in.

Eh, we're decently well off, but have enough debt (like most) that it really isn't feasible. Plus I wouldn't hear the end of it from his little sister if he got to go to something like that. Thanks for the thought though, it is appreciated.

We're actually going to make an RPG together with the program after he does his first, small one. At that point I'll actually teach him about game design, narrative plotting, etc, as it's my trade.

Yeah, and I highly doubt they have some interns that are not on the staff page.

Holy shit,they let it through not following there own rules and seeing that this a hoax. Unbelievable and baffled. Oh wait it is all a lie i see.

Dude, use your head. That applies to this as well as not funding the KS.

Alucrid

Banned
Your sarcasm is noted. Still, the e-mail smells of bullshit, and as already noted goes against the terms of service.

Not to mention how odd the email is. "You don't have to create stretch goals", wait, what? You never mentioned stretch goals before, in fact you were just about to provide a few thoughts on how to make the project more manageable.

Brak

Even if she had the absolute best intentions, and I 100% trusted her to use this money for good causes, I would still want kickstarter to cancel this project.

Kickstarter is not for charity. Kickstarter is about supporting creators and giving them the ability to create great works that they otherwise could not get funded through traditional publishing networks. Or when traditional publishing would interfere too greatly with the artist's vision. This project sets an incredibly poor precedent for the site, and lowers the integrity of the entire system. Which is incredibly problematic as the whole damn system is based on trust.

spannicus

I just got an email from a woman in Africa who says her family was tortured and being held captive and she wants to give me a trillion dollars to help her, all she needs is my name, social, and all my other info. Gosh I feel so bad for her I'm gonna give her all my info right now.

baphomet

Even if she had the absolute best intentions, and I 100% trusted her to use this money for good causes, I would still want kickstarter to cancel this project.

Kickstarter is not for charity. Kickstarter is about supporting creators and giving them the ability to create great works that they otherwise could not get funded through traditional publishing networks. Or when traditional publishing would interfere too greatly with the artist's vision. This project sets an incredibly poor precedent for the site, and lowers the integrity of the entire system. Which is incredibly problematic as the whole damn system is based on trust.

Absolutely. In the beginning I have her the benefit of the doubt, even though it was incredibly scummy. I thought it was very close to being allowed by the kickstarter guidelines. After reading the thread more, the fact that RPG maker games cannot be sold, the probably fake email from "John", etc, I hope they shut this shit down.

Absolutely. In the beginning I have her the benefit of the doubt, even though it was incredibly scummy. I thought it was very close to being allowed by the kickstarter guidelines. After reading the thread more, the fact that RPG maker games cannot be sold, the probably fake email from "John", etc, I hope they shut this shit down.

You can sell RPG maker games, btw, as long as you bought a legal copy of the maker software. It's one of the selling points they use.

Agree with you, but part of what you are saying is incorrect:

Can I sell my games created with RPG Maker XP/VX and its game materials included in (or added on to) the software?

Yes, you can distribute games you created with RPG Maker XP/VX or IG Maker, using its included (or added on) materials, as freeware or commercial ware. You are also allowed to modify the materials with other software such as Photoshop, provided they are only used within RPG Maker or IG Maker software, and not sold/or distributed. You can also include your own graphics and music if you wish. Please ensure that those games do not include any material which infringe others' rights.
Please note that any modification of the exe, dll, or other game files generated by RPG Maker or IG Maker is forbidden. Also, you may not use the materials included in the software (or add-on package) within other game engines or software.

Read more: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/faq#ixzz2OatU7moA

I just got an email from a woman in Africa who says her family was tortured and being held captive and she wants to give me a trillion dollars to help her, all she needs is my name, social, and all my other info. Gosh I feel so bad for her I'm gonna give her all my info right now.

Start a kickstarter to help her instead!

I do, no worries though, I understand the sarcasm in your post. :)

Eh, we're decently well off, but have enough debt (like most) that it really isn't feasible. Plus I wouldn't hear the end of it from his little sister if he got to go to something like that. Thanks for the thought though, it is appreciated.

We're actually going to make an RPG together with the program after he does his first, small one. At that point I'll actually teach him about game design, narrative plotting, etc, as it's my trade.

I would suggest you are a misogenist for assuming your daughter would throw a fit, as if it were a typically female thing to do.

I also think you're abusive for not letting your son take GAF handouts for going to camp.

Wait... you know what? I bet you don't even have kids and are just playing people... nevermind the fact that i've met them.

HEATHEN! PERMABAN THIS MAN!

Polygon's article is back up, sort of. It's actually been replaced with a disclaimer:
Update: This story was originally written last week and, following some investigation by its author, was being held until details regarding the Kickstarter creator's authenticity could be verified — which some commenters in this post have highlighted. It was not intended to be published, and was left as a draft in our system; a draft which was accidentally published this afternoon following tests on our video surfacing by a member of our support team. We apologize to you, the reader, and to the original author, for publishing a half-finished report.

Why do I doubt this is true?

I would suggest you are a misogenist for assuming your daughter would throw a fit, as if it were a typically female thing to do.

I also think you're abusive for not letting your son take GAF handouts for going to camp.

Wait... you know what? I bet you don't even have kids and are just playing people... nevermind the fact that i've met them.

HEATHEN! PERMABAN THIS MAN!

She'd throw a fit BECAUSE SHE'D WANT TO GO. She's already asking me when I'm going to help make an RPG with her. But you know this.

And I am abusive. I gave my son Monster Hunter and told him to figure it out himself.

Top Bottom