• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Vaco6121

Someone should contact Dell and see if this is legit perhaps?

Unless your a journalist from a well-known website, I don't think Dell or MIT would confirm or deny involvement with Susan to any random joe that asks them about it. Right now would be a prefect time for well-known website to do a follow up article with Susan, kickstarter, MIT, and Dell and see what each company has to say about it all, but that will never happen.

inm8num2

Judging by the way shit is going, if InXile got wind of this they'd back Susan, make Kenzie a companion in Torment, allow her to write a portion of the game alongside Chris Avellone and Pat Rothfuss, give her a complimentary $10,000 kickstarter tier and guarantee her a job when she tuns 18 designing the successors to Wasteland 2 and Torment because she's such a good kickstarter. I will then tear my fucking house down with my bare handsand then use the portable flipping table i got from indegogo as a stool to help hang myself.

Exactly why I hesitate bringing this to Fargo's attention. I like Fargo but I think the feel-good aspect combined with Kickstarter would overwhelm his issues with her abuse of KIF. He'd probably give her some advice and that'd be it.

inm8num2

Unless your a journalist from a well-known website, I don't think Dell or MIT would confirm or deny involvement with Susan to any random joe that asks them about it. Right now would be a prefect time for well-known website to do a follow up article with Susan, kickstarter, MIT, and Dell and see what each company has to say about it all, but that will never happen.

Makes me wonder why nobody's really following up on this. Is it not an interesting story to them? Or they simply don't care? Or taking down a project that purports it's all about KIDS would be risky for bad press?

I see nothing benefiting children at this point. I see a free laptop, some first-class airline tickets and luxury hotel stays, and the rest of the work being done by gullible fools.

My Sister is a Grad student at MIT, and may know someone in Game Lab. A couple years ago when it was the Gambit Lab she hooked me up with a tour. Not sure if she still knows anyone there but I shall email and check.

inm8num2

My Sister is a Grad student at MIT, and may know someone in Game Lab. A couple years ago when it was the Gambit Lab she hooked me up with a tour. Not sure if she still knows anyone there but I shall email and check.

Please do. I checked their website but didn't see a phone number.

Violet_0

Banned
the biggest question I have is why do they give millionaires free stuff. And why there are people willing to give a rich family their money

Muku

Makes me wonder why nobody's really following up on this. Is it not an interesting story to them? Or they simply don't care? Or taking down a project that purports it's all about KIDS would be risky for bad press?

I see nothing benefiting children at this point. I see a free laptop, some first-class airline tickets and luxury hotel stays, and the rest of the work being done by gullible fools.

Because it was a feel good story. Why would they want to follow up!? They took Susan at her word, and that was good enough apparently. Some journalists don't even really do their own research anymore. I can't imagine they'd do a follow up.
OMG MOAR WORK

No shit on the first class airline tickets. That 6k would be better spent traveling across an ocean in first class. First class within country? Psssh. I'll take that 6k Susan. Planning a trip to States in a few months. I would like DAT FIRST CLASS TREATMENT going over the Pacific.

Now I wake up to see... she wants us to be her financial planners? Isn't she the entrepreneur? You would think she could do that herself, without you know... making an awful one that she had that barely went to the project itself.

So many gems in the comments today though... Quotes from Susan at the moment.

Kenzie's in her bubble and happily teaching herself RPG Maker and skyping with other kids creating games.

Okay, so like we said, she doesn't need that camp after all. Can we end the Kickstarter now? Sheesh.

But right now there' s no way for them to connect (though Kenzie's already calling dibs and working on getting specs together for the custom assets she wants RC's daughters to create).

Is it me, or did it feel a bit like sucking up here to RC? Just wondering if it was me or not.

Why is she acting like the website costs a lot. Unless she's actually paying someone who knows what they're doing to handle it, I don't see the issue. And who said she'd be living in a Penthouse. However, now she is acting like work she is doing for all this is super hard and god knows what else. Okay, so you Skype'd with parents and kids to make sure no pedophiles. Why is she complaining about that? She didn't even have to bring that up, as it wasn't necessary to the issue at hand about money.

I'm also not sure how someone like her, who has blatantly said she doesn't know anything about games, why she would be there for Q&A when she won't know a lick of what folks are talking about.

And this whole budget thing. Asking folks to do her one. /facepalm And then defends her price for laptop to get Kenzie a kickass one. She can grow into one that's less expensive. I mean hell. It's not like she's using anything major that requires a beefy computer. Whole thing just.. god. And then if it was donated? Then where would that 2.5k go?

I'm also a mom with 3 kids that aren't thrilled I haven't been grocery shopping in two weeks b/c I've been doing this nonstop.

Wow, what mom would rightfully admit to this? Heart strings much? I figure her children aren't starving, but did this REALLY have to be included? Geez. And I'm sure her husband did it anyway, but drama queen much? :/

And then she wants to get folks to answer other backers questions too? Oh this is just.. so.. I think I need one of those flip tables RIGHT NOW. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

EDIT: Now I feel a bit bad. RC posted: "----- Susan asked me for help. I know she has been asking people for help. Why would people scamming others be asking for help, not to mention accept help from various venues? "

That's how these folks roll. To get you to be on "their" side and con you in. Incoming second table flip in 3...2...1...

Vaco6121

EDIT: Now I feel a bit bad. RC posted: "----- Susan asked me for help. I know she has been asking people for help. Why would people scamming others be asking for help, not to mention accept help from various venues? "

That's how these folks roll. To get you to be on "their" side and con you in. Incoming second table flip in 3...2...1...

Yeah, that is the best way to scam people. Make them feel included and they will look past everything because they are "in".

inm8num2

Susan's the cool kid on the playground. The other kids will do anything she says just to feel like a part of her crew.

That's more or less the fundamental manipulative technique she's using. Help me and you can be a part of something big, like some murky goal about KIDS being able to connect and make games.

Muku

Susan's the cool kid on the playground. The other kids will do anything she says just to feel like a part of her crew.

That's more or less the fundamental manipulative technique she's using. Help me and you can be a part of something big, like some murky goal about KIDS being able to connect and make games.

That's what makes this comical at this point. The goal and ideas keep changing. Though once she latched onto PinkieSquare, she hasn't let that go. But does anyone know why she thinks no one wants her to use the money on the website? I'm confused about that.

JDSN

Banned
Exactly why I hesitate bringing this to Fargo's attention. I like Fargo but I think the feel-good aspect combined with Kickstarter would overwhelm his issues with her abuse of KIF. He'd probably give her some advice and that'd be it.

Re-post, I got this message after explaining why I dropped the Torment pledge due this particular KS.

6MHsCon.jpg

Edit: The InXile gaffers also commented on losing a couple of pledges due this.

inm8num2

Re-post, I got this message after explaining why I dropped the Torment pledge due this particular KS.

http://i.imgur.com/6MHsCon.jpg[IMG]

Edit: The InXile gaffers also commented on losing a couple of pledges due this.[/QUOTE]

Ah, interesting. Though I'm a bit confused why Torment lost pledges, or why you dropped the Torment pledge. I don't see any indicator that inXile supports Susan.

Unless you mean people wanted to donate outside of Kickstarter. Then it makes sense.

JDSN

Banned
Ah, interesting. Though I'm a bit confused why Torment lost pledges, or why you dropped the Torment pledge. I don't see any indicator that inXile supports Susan.

Unless you mean people wanted to donate outside of Kickstarter. Then it makes sense.

I pulled all my pledges after this, Ks wont be seeing the little money I have anymore if shady stuff like this will be supported.

Alucrid

Banned
So just catching up, can't believe she has actually asked people to do her budgeting for her.

Glad this one decided to though hahaha can't wait for the response...

I bet the response will be

"Gee shouldn't you have something better to do? I don't think it's healthy that you put all that time into this. I'm just doin' my best! KEEP UP!"

Because it was a feel good story. Why would they want to follow up!? They took Susan at her word, and that was good enough apparently. Some journalists don't even really do their own research anymore. I can't imagine they'd do a follow up.
OMG MOAR WORK

No shit on the first class airline tickets. That 6k would be better spent traveling across an ocean in first class. First class within country? Psssh. I'll take that 6k Susan. Planning a trip to States in a few months. I would like DAT FIRST CLASS TREATMENT going over the Pacific.

Now I wake up to see... she wants us to be her financial planners? Isn't she the entrepreneur? You would think she could do that herself, without you know... making an awful one that she had that barely went to the project itself.

So many gems in the comments today though... Quotes from Susan at the moment.

Okay, so like we said, she doesn't need that camp after all. Can we end the Kickstarter now? Sheesh.

Is it me, or did it feel a bit like sucking up here to RC? Just wondering if it was me or not.

Why is she acting like the website costs a lot. Unless she's actually paying someone who knows what they're doing to handle it, I don't see the issue. And who said she'd be living in a Penthouse. However, now she is acting like work she is doing for all this is super hard and god knows what else. Okay, so you Skype'd with parents and kids to make sure no pedophiles. Why is she complaining about that? She didn't even have to bring that up, as it wasn't necessary to the issue at hand about money.

I'm also not sure how someone like her, who has blatantly said she doesn't know anything about games, why she would be there for Q&A when she won't know a lick of what folks are talking about.

And this whole budget thing. Asking folks to do her one. /facepalm And then defends her price for laptop to get Kenzie a kickass one. She can grow into one that's less expensive. I mean hell. It's not like she's using anything major that requires a beefy computer. Whole thing just.. god. And then if it was donated? Then where would that 2.5k go?

Wow, what mom would rightfully admit to this? Heart strings much? I figure her children aren't starving, but did this REALLY have to be included? Geez. And I'm sure her husband did it anyway, but drama queen much? :/

And then she wants to get folks to answer other backers questions too? Oh this is just.. so.. I think I need one of those flip tables RIGHT NOW. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Haha wow at "not going grocery shopping." Please, plenty of people have far harder lives than scamming people over the internet and still somehow manage to shop to feed their families. Shit's pathetic, I don't get how people can fall for that.

Muku

Haha wow at "not going grocery shopping." Please, plenty of people have far harder lives than scamming people over the internet and still somehow manage to shop to feed their families. Shit's pathetic, I don't get how people can fall for that.

Word. You know what is funny about that quote from her is that her kids aren't thrilled she hasn't been in some weeks. Who the hell told her this was a 24 hour job and to neglect her family? But I guess this is what you get when you put up a half assed Kickstarter. Do your work before instead of having to do it the whole time it is up. Plus she has banana phone operater Julie to handle the phones anyway. I wonder if she's even left the house at all since this has started? :/

I'm lost here.
Can someone give me the gist of whats gone down so far?
What does Brian Fargo and the Torment Kickstarter have to do with this? And... I dont know. There's a lot of things flying around. This is very interesting, but I dont fully understand it all right now.

Alucrid

Banned
Word. You know what is funny about that quote from her is that her kids aren't thrilled she hasn't been in some weeks. Who the hell told her this was a 24 hour job and to neglect her family? But I guess this is what you get when you put up a half assed Kickstarter. Do your work before instead of having to do it the whole time it is up. Plus she has banana phone operater Julie to handle the phones anyway. I wonder if she's even left the house at all since this has started? :/

I mean, if that's even true. Which I hold doubts about.

I'm lost here.
What does Brian Fargo and the Torment Kickstarter have to do with this? And... I dont know. There's a lot of things flying around. This is very interesting, but I dont fully understand it all right now.

Not going to run down the whole thing, but since this is obviously a scam and was in clear violation of Kickstarter's rules, and yet they didn't shut it down but gave it their blessing, people are having doubts about Kickstarter as a company. Obviously the best way to make this heard is to notify projects that they have funded about why they're pulling their funding.

Cynar

I pulled my funding from torment over this. I don't want a single penny going to kickstarter. Does supporting torment through PayPal offer similar awards to the kickstarter?

Vaco6121

I'm lost here.

I know I have missed a lot of stuff, but here something to get a start to it all:

moka's summary

Then there is the backers only update
another backer only update

I haven't posted any of Susan's comments from the kickstarter as there is too many of them to go though. Someone else can provide the ones that matter, if they have been compiling them, since there are a lot of them posted throughout this thread.

You really should take the time to read through this thread as there is just too many crazy updates about it all.

Jac_Solar

What do they need a phone operator for?

Kickstarter is for people who have an idea, a goal, and need the money to fulfill that goal. The premise is based on very specific ideas. And this KS has the creator asking how to use the money. I realize that it went way over budget, and this will most likely be her defense, but the goal was for 820$ for a camp -- which was against the rules of KS to begin with, and isn't even a part of the Kickstarter anymore.

The fact that she apparently advertised long after the 820$, and had 10,000 tiers, despite the fact of the goal, implies that she must have had some sort of intention for how to spend the rest of the money. Good intentions or bad intentions, that's up to how you view this project.

If KS didn't care about the project breaking several of their rules, or that the creator used unfair stereotyping, or that the creator is supposed to be one of Americas top 10 most powerful women, or that she has created several scam-like projects in the past, has web-squatted, etc. --- the fact that the KS for this has changed so much since it first appeared is clear grounds for why it should be removed.

If you ignored all the extra, unnecessary stuff going on around and in the Kickstarter, it's still nonsense, but there is absolutely no reason to donate after the 820$ tier. Who are these people who keep donating? I mean, I could understand that people would donate up to the 820$ goal, but people keep donating, long after the 820$ goal. These people need credit cards to donate, so they must be over 18 at least. I realize that "reason" is somewhat subjective -- but it's not in this case. After the 820$ tier, there is no reason to keep donating. It's just on another level.

If Susan knew someone at Kickstarter, and had that person fake the Kickstarter stats to help the project gain some attention -- that would make much more sense.

I know I have missed a lot of stuff, but here something to get a start to it all:

moka's summary

Then there is the backers only update
another backer only update

I haven't posted any of Susan's comments from the kickstarter as there is too many of them to go though. Someone else can provide the ones that matter, if they have been compiling them, since there are a lot of them posted throughout this thread.

You really should take the time to read through this thread as there is just too many crazy updates about it all.

Thanks for the links. This will make going through the thread more manageable.

Muku

What do they need a phone operator for?

Sorry, running joke for a while here was that Susan's best friend, Julie, was the banana phone operator. Every time she'd make a post putting down folks and stuff, at the end she'd say something like "OH (insert some random big companies name here) IS CALLING!" Like we were supposed to be impressed or something. Became a running joke for a bit. Even then we questioned WHY her BFF would be the one answering the calls over Susan anyway.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Well done to the OP for deconstructing and exposing the mind blowingly obvious scam that this is. This is wrong on so many levels, I can't believe people are naive enough to pledge all this money to her, what are they thinking? I'm sure it will be well spent further enriching herself seen as every budget set out by her wildly, in fact hilariously, over-estimates expenses that may not even be necessary in the first place.

inm8num2

reverendphil has taken the blue pill. (edit - originally said red, fixed - I mean that he's deluded himself into supporting the project).

reverendphil about 5 hours ago

Still, its an $829 kickstarter that you can pledge $10 to buy a game, and there is absolutely no obligation to explain where anything above and beyond $829 goes, or even hwo the original intent of that $829 changed due to the increased funding, as long as the end goal is that you receive this game.

And let's be perfectly honest here. A vaguley thought out first time game from a 9yo is not something everyone is dying to get. It's something people are *wanting to support*, regardless of the product. I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would legitimately want to both support this project, and question where the money is going and what additional things they will be getting for their pledge of support.

Any concern about literally pocketing the money is silly. That's exactly what everyone doing a kickstarter is allowed to do.. you are not required to stop your kickstarter at 100% funding, or supply a new business plan or 'stretch goals'. You are allowed to sell more units of blah, and profit from your increased interest. Think of everything beyond $829 as day 1 sales.

RC, however, is now doing a lot of the leg work for Scammy Susan. You know, RC wants to feel involved and make sure the project is done correctly. And if she's lucky Susan might tell her, "Thanks."

RC about 2 hours ago

@Sandy
I am helping Susan Wilson a bit in this particular matter, I am not going to tell you what it is, that is for me to finish the info and get Susan's approval, and her announcinc it. But, I am working on making sure ALL the backers get rewarded for their support and understanding.

Vaco6121

reverendphil has taken the red pill.

RC, however, is now doing a lot of the leg work for Scammy Susan. You know, RC wants to feel involved and make sure the project is done correctly. And if she's lucky Susan might tell her, "Thanks."

I don't even know how I want to respond. I want to be angry, but at the same I am just amazed by what she is pulling off.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

RC is a dude lol...

or one hairy ass chick.

kitsuneyo

the biggest question I have is why do they give millionaires free stuff. And why there are people willing to give a rich family their money

The same reason many of my fellow Brits love our Royal Family, who live the high life on our taxes despite exhibiting no talent whatsoever. I've no idea what that reason is though.

inm8num2

We should put together a timeline of all the events, updates, project changes, lies by Susan, and everything else.

What started as a very obvious, low-key con that pulled at people's heartstrings (evil older brothers, feminism, kids' dreams, etc.) has worked out rather well and evolved into a broader, larger-scale scam (possibly expected or loosely planned from the beginning). By starting with a very low goal, Susan was able to make people feel they were part of something bigger as they "surpassed expectations" (which in reality was the true expected result). She's played her cards very well, and the sad thing is that it wasn't very hard to dupe all of these rubes.

I wonder if that one poster got in touch with his/her contact at the MIT Games Lab?

I reported the project to kickstarter. It will be interesting to see what the response is.

Project has already been deemed legitimate by Kickstarter. Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't have reported it (in fact if you haven't reported it, you should do so just to let KS know there are a significant number of us that don't approve). Just that they won't do anything about it.

I'm officially not supporting KS from this point on. I'll only back projects I'm interested in directly through paypal or some other alternative as I don't want KS to see a single dime.

Labadal

Project has already been deemed legitimate by Kickstarter. Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't have reported it (in fact if you haven't reported it, you should do so just to let KS know there are a significant number of us that don't approve). Just that they won't do anything about it.

I'm officially not supporting KS from this point on. I'll only back projects I'm interested in directly through paypal or some other alternative as I don't want KS to see a single dime.

I'll probably do the same from now on. It's a shame if it hurts smaller projects that can't offer paypal as an alternative, but I'll blame kickstarter for that.

Lucario

I'm too impressed this worked to be angry. Someone basically got $30,000 from kickstarter to pay an $800 tuition?

If I could do that, I totally would.

Gold Member
Susan has been relatively quiet since the backers started callings her out on her figures, I was hoping for some half arsed explanation. She seems to have completely skirted the issue unless there is some surprise announcement around the corner...?

Vernarno seems to have the bit between his teeth though lol, he's started on her pervious projects now:

Vernano Veryo less than a minute ago
@Sue
http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr....ead-a-few-articles-and-comments-about-the-rpg
Did you ever clear this up? It looks like you were re-selling phones for twice the price and making it look like it you were part of its' invention. From the campaign page:
"Committed to building a kick-ass product to meet real people’s needs, Life-Case is self-funding. Instead of securing outside funding to create slick marketing materials and videos, we’re focusing on creating the best phone case EVER."
There doesn't seem to be many other angles to take on this subject and has been one of the main reasons I am concerned with trying to keep this project honest by getting Sue to post goals, info, etc.

Lucario

so, like, let's say I want plane tickets

can I just make a kickstarter that's like "HELP A YOUNG, STRUGGLING GAY ACTIVIST FIND ARTISTIC PASSION IN A WORLD GONE MAD: A VIDEO BIOGRAPHY"?

I could claim homophobia if it gets pulled, then damage the LGBT rights cause for my own personal gain! It's air fucking tight.

so, like, let's say I want plane tickets

can I just make a kickstarter that's like "HELP A YOUNG, STRUGGLING GAY ACTIVIST FIND ARTISTIC PASSION IN A WORLD GONE MAD: A VIDEO BIOGRAPHY"?

I could claim homophobia if it gets pulled, then damage the LGBT rights cause for my own personal gain! It's air fucking tight.

You don't have the sympathy to gain funding. Do you have a 9 YO niece?

Lucario

You don't have the sympathy to gain funding. Do you have a 9 YO niece?

she's 12, but I think she only plays minecraft.

honestly, I don't feel like the person who started this kickstarter is exploiting her daughter as much as she's exploiting -- and harming -- feminism. Claiming to be progressive is one thing, asking to be paid for it is another.

.... yeah, my post earlier on this page? Tack on 'unless it's at the expense of a rights movement I'm invested in.' This kickstarter harms women in tech more than it helps.

edit: mmm, a little mad now.

sorry to make this about me, but --
people in game development programs have said some pretty stupid shit to me after finding out about my sexuality. Asking about obsessions with clothing or assuming stereotypical behavior is one thing -- I shrug that off, it doesn't matter unless it's constant -- but having other students go from casually respecting me to derisively mocking me with enough vigor to shake the crumbs in their neckbeards? That was bullshit. There's stigmas and biases in the gaming world, and I put up with that. One day I'd like to help change it.

Profiting off the struggle of your own gender is fucking awful.

Bedlam

she's 12, but I think she only plays minecraft.
Good enough. Kenzie is likely older than 9 and from what we've seen the closest thing to videogames that she likes is Naruto.

honestly, I don't feel like the person who started this kickstarter is exploiting her daughter as much as she's exploiting -- and harming -- feminism. Claiming to be progressive is one thing, asking to be paid for it is another.
Have you read the Fundher.com descriptions? That pseudo/anti-feminist crap will make your head explode. Actual feminists should be outraged at Susan and her projects.

inm8num2

Susan has been relatively quiet since the backers started callings her out on her figures, I was hoping for some half arsed explanation. She seems to have completely skirted the issue unless there is some surprise announcement around the corner...?

Vernarno seems to have the bit between his teeth though lol, he's started on her pervious projects now:

She's quiet because she's working 15 hours a day on other things. She's working so hard she doesn't have time to shop for groceries. ;)

Or, at this point she can have her brainwashed footsoldiers like reverendphil or RC do the work, answer the questions, and deal with various issues on her behalf.

A truly manipulative sociopath. The definition of scum.

Gold Member
She's quiet because she's working 15 hours a day on other things. She's working so hard she doesn't have time to shop for groceries. ;)

Or, at this point she can have her brainwashed footsoldiers like reverendphil or RC do the work, answer the questions, and deal with various issues on her behalf.

A truly manipulative sociopath. The definition of scum.
I forgot that, she is probably catching up on her chores while Joseph peers in through a back window
timing her!

Seriously though you are right the past couple of days she has just let the backers take the lead which is quite clever, although she is going to have to come back with something if Vernarno keeps it up lol. I'm intrigued to know what RC is cooking up, some master plan to include all the backers - you get 50% of your money back GIV MOAR NOW!! YOU CAN'T LOSE!!! IT'S A WIN WIN WIN!!!

Doubt she has anything substantial though I think she is jumping on the bandwagon like some of the others hoping they either get some bizarre recognition or a share of the pot for helping. I also am liking this new talk of charities, I'll bet Susan would love that what as easy way to explain the funds away. Ofc millionaires are a charity in their own right and she needs food after all. Maybe we should all chip in and send her some vouchers or something...

inm8num2

Gerald Ward 21 minutes ago

If you buy a car you pay what you think the car is worth. Do you question what Ford or GM do with the extra money they make? You put your money in and you get your game or t-shirt or whatever. To me part of backing a project like this is giving a boost to an idea that wouldn't become reality any other way. I'm in for $10 and I'm getting a game, plain and simple.

Again...

iL4fXsQfXbFRo.gif

I love how people think they're getting an actual game. At most they'll get a 3-minute demo that anyone could whip up in a couple hours. And Susan wants $50k (her stretch goal LOL) to do it.

I wonder what Waqar is doing. He's vacillated between support and criticism. A few people are waking up. Just need them to keep questioning and criticizing.

Top Bottom