• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

inm8num2

Capitalism champions sociopaths.

And at the same time convinces people that millionaires need $829 for a camp. Also teaches little kids that if you're rich the world owes you even more money despite the fact that you haven't earned it and don't need it.

9 more days of this mind-boggling nonsense.

Fusebox

Banned
What I don't get is...

Camp was $829. It was already paid for as the KS had a screencap of the receipt upfront.

And now she isn't even going to that camp?!

My mind is full of Jackie Chan.

Muku

Waqar put up a lengthy note. Despite him trying to not be offensive, watch someone go "OMG WTF!".

Let me quote him:

Okay, now this is probably gonna be a lengthy comment and I apologise in advance if this offends anyone (esp Susan) but I want to raise a few points.

How many backers here remember the original project and its intentions?

Now how many of you have seen the same project change and made better? Do you remember the old title? The evil brothers that belittled their little sister? The lack of females in STEM? Building an RPG to prove boys wrong? etc etc

Ask yourself what caused these changes? Did Susan have a change of heart? Did supporters of this project recommend changes? Or did Kickstarter intervene to suggest alterations to the project and its content?

These changes have been made primarily due to the backers that voiced their concerns. The people like @vernano that want to make sure that this project is in the best interests of all backers and is fully accounted for.

I mean, just look at how this project has transformed all because of a handful of critics (not trolls) that have offered to take their time and help (and are continuing to help, like RC) Susan make this a better kickstarter campaign.

I'll admit @vernano shouldn't be making jokes about other people's names, especially after that whole debacle with me and @privacy advocate. But I'll give @vernano the benefit of the doubt and attribute it due to lack of sleep and not the best sense of humour.

I don't want to start seeing kickstarter backers being labelled as for or against a specific project. I think all backers have the right to voice their concerns and if they are valid and justified, then have the project creator alleviate them. But turning this into a "with us or against us" attitude helps no one. Like I've mentioned in one of my earliest comments, rather than quashing people's concerns it'd be easier to just answer them.

I, for one, am one of the ones that have been a vocal critic as well as a supporter so I guess I'd be labelled as both with and against the project wouldn't I? I'd like to think I've made a small impact to help this campaign towards the right direction but if I had only intended to pledge $1 from day 1, would any of my concerns be less justified? Which brings me onto my next point.

Firstly, never underestimate the power of $1, especially on a crowdfunding site. Just look at the Veronica Mars project. Nearly 2700 backers have pledged only a dollar, and that's enough to pay for this project more than three times over and that campaign hasn't even finished yet.

Secondly (and this is the kicker), if the kickstarter dev team did implement any sort of system that allows project creators to deny, refuse or return any pledges then this site would be pretty much a ghost town.

Why?

Ask yourself, if such a system was put in place then who would benefit? (Now before I say this, I'm not directing this towards you Susan and sorry if I offend you)

One group of people that would be jumping for joy for such a system would be those who set up scam projects. Can you imagine, a system where if anyone who so much as raises an eyebrow to your project and pledges $1 to make others aware of any concerns, that the project creator could just refuse the pledge and thereby prevent anybody from speaking out?
Not to mention the myriad of abuse from other project creators who, how can I put this, are prejudiced towards others based on their gender or ethnic background.

Finally, the reply to @Vernano's question sends a very bad message. That message being: "give me more money and I'll take you more seriously". The fact that he only pledged $1 shouldn't come into it. If I upped my pledge to $100 and asked the same question would that have gotten me an answer?

I'm actually quite surprised Susan with your reply to @Vernano, seriously, cos that sounds like the sort of antagonistic reply I would expect from Julie. But to read that knowing that it came from you, I mean, I thought we were past all this.

Regarding the budget, don't take this the wrong way Susan but if I did go through the trouble of setting up a sort of shadow budget I'd probably just go the whole hog and set up a kickstarter for my nephew just out of curiosity as to whether he'd receive similar support (and I'd receive similar criticism) for an RPG project. @KS Backer did a pretty good job of it though and I don't think he missed out anything crucial so I'd probably take that as a base and work from there.

Sorry once again if I've offended you Susan or anyone else, that's not my intention and yes, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place on this project (note:to the guys on the GAF).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wonder how many reports KS has gotten about this one, and how many the usual number is for egregious projects. I'd wager this one blows the old record away, but I'd like to know how many it takes for them to start actually paying attention instead of it being noise.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm just smh at the latest post Susan just wrote. This woman makes me ill.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lady of the Scam has lost it LOL

Susan Wilson 12 minutes ago
"ENOUGH is ENOUGH! Questions have been asked and answered. Will any person that has questions, doubts or concerns about this project - a 9 year old making her first RPG - please immediately cancel your pledge and leave the rest of us to enjoy what should be an exciting experience.

In case that wasn't clear: ANY PERSON THAT HAS DOUBTS OR CONCERNS ABOUT KENZIE'S PROJECT AT THIS POINT (I.E., THIS CAMPAIGN) PLEASE CANCEL YOUR PLEDGE AND MOVE ON. Find something that inspires you and fund it. Or better yet, CREATE SOMETHING OF YOUR OWN!"

"ENOUGH is ENOUGH! Questions have been asked and answered. Will any person that has questions, doubts or concerns about this project - a 9 year old making her first RPG - please immediately cancel your pledge and leave the rest of us to enjoy what should be an exciting experience.

In case that wasn't clear: ANY PERSON THAT HAS DOUBTS OR CONCERNS ABOUT KENZIE'S PROJECT AT THIS POINT (I.E., THIS CAMPAIGN) PLEASE CANCEL YOUR PLEDGE AND MOVE ON. Find something that inspires you and fund it. Or better yet, CREATE SOMETHING OF YOUR OWN!"

"Move on" is the new "Keep up."

Directions: Mark all that Applies to you

I(insert appropriate verb)like Susan Wilson

[X] Cheat
[X] Steal
[X] Lie
[X] Use my daughter to pander for $$
[X] Throw my sons under the bus
[X] Neglect my parental responsibilities
[X] Play the misogyny card
[X] Run a shady kickstarter campaign

= MOVE ON!!! =>

chifanpoe

"Move on" is the new "Keep up."

Directions: Mark all that Applies to you

I(insert appropriate verb)like Susan Wilson

[X] Cheat
[X] Steal
[X] Lie
[X] Use my daughter to pander for $$
[X] Throw my sons under the bus
[X] Neglect my parental responsibilities
[X] Play the misogyny card
[X] Run a shady kickstarter campaign

= MOVE ON!!! =>

Hahahaha, so true and so sad...

MisterHero

People get into a fit whenever I make that suggestion. :c

So, was there ever any follow up by the professional gaming media that decided this was such an important cause, but failed to ask very basic questions about this situation?

Vormund

I think I don't care about her anymore. I'd almost say good on her for taking money from people who are dumber than dog shit. What really infuriates me is how fucking blind and moronic some people are. Human race is fucked.

Pretty much how I feel.

She's being totally evasive and unproffesional. Yeah, this whole thing is a scam, not that I had any doubt though.

33714972.jpg

Gold Member
We should make a KS project to make a mini youtube documentary on her scam.

Who wants to take the lead?

Quality idea can I play Joeseph?

OT she is continuing to refuse to answer concerns, for the first time she is starting to
lose her cool. Wonder what her next insane move will be.

Jac_Solar

Presumably the bad press from canceling such a project, with a mother marketing machine who could likely give them hell for it, is not worth a few dissenters that they can placate after the fact. I'm sure they are not in the habit of canceling projects to begin with unless it is something completely blatant, which this kickstarter is not. Either that or there is an inside connection, but that seems a bit much.

This project isn't blatant? Huh? It's about as blatant as it gets.

inm8num2

Quality idea can I play Joeseph?

OT she is continuing to refuse to answer concerns, for the first time she is starting to
lose her cool. Wonder what her next insane move will be.

After losing her cool she'll start to compromise and plead with the critics. She'll play the "blue collar gal just trying to help my daughter" card, among many others.

Bizazedo

This project isn't blatant? Huh? It's about as blatant as it gets.

The problem is how does Kickstarter cancel it without getting sued?

Remember, before you answer, even if they're right and it would be dismissed, even being sued with the potential mudslinging is a loss.

Jac_Solar

Remember, before you answer, even if they're right and it would be dismissed, even being sued with the potential mudslinging is a loss.

I was just saying that's how it appears -- not that KS should shut it down (But yeah, they should.). But, I understand that it wouldn't be easy for Kickstarter to shut it down, but then again, most scams are done this way.

Scammers conjure up a feelgood story that appeals to peoples sense of empathy -- it makes it easier for the backers to ignore any possible flaws in the story or logic, and it makes it harder for the authorities to step in since they think that the press might get "upset" at them.

In order to shut it down and prevent bad press, I think KS would just have to issue a formal statement where they highlight all the flaws in this Kickstarters story, and the stuff Susan has done, though. She even changed the project halfway, and changed the goals -- this is clearly not in the spirit of Kickstarter.

Why would Kickstarter get sued? No money has changed hands yet and people get to crowdfund at the discretion of Kickstarter.

inm8num2

In order to shut it down and prevent bad press, I think KS would just have to issue a formal statement where they highlight all the flaws in this Kickstarters story, and the stuff Susan has done, though. She even changed the project halfway, and changed the goals -- this is clearly not in the spirit of Kickstarter.

NeoGAF and others on the web have already done this for KS. They merely need to copy the OP in this thread and paste it into their cancellation announcement.

Kusagari

How on Earth would she have a case? It's their platform and they can cancel whatever they want.

Gold Member
After losing her cool she'll start to compromise and plead with the critics. She'll play the "blue collar gal just trying to help my daughter" card, among many others.
So true and so painful!

As each day goes by I become more and more enraged by the KS backers. I don't quite know why, I thought I would have levelled off into numbness by now but their unique (I hope it's unique) brand of blind stupidity gets me everyday. For some reason I cannot let this be, even though I am not personally involved it has pissed me off no end that she is getting away with this BS and people are falling for it daily.

If this were Worms Armageddon I would be calling on a Concrete Donkey right about now.

As others have said I don't think they could get sued, it's more likely because of the shitstorm she would create with the media. A few of us here and there don't really matter too much in the greater scheme of things, but if she started crying to the national media the negative publicity KS would get would be immense.

Kikujiro

I think I don't care about her anymore. I'd almost say good on her for taking money from people who are dumber than dog shit. What really infuriates me is how fucking blind and moronic some people are. Human race is fucked.

Dumb people don't infuriate me, but people like the "journalists" who defended her. Like that CNET guy who called all the critics "trolls", not only he is dumb but he thinks he's better and smarter than everybody else.

Vaco6121

tumblr_m22qkaAMJy1qk5ynno1_400.gif

The end finally begins. Can't wait for her to start making her missteps.

Dumb people don't infuriate me, but people like the "journalists" who defended her. Like that CNET guy who called all the critics "trolls", not only he is dumb but he thinks he's better and smarter than everybody else.

They don't infuriate me, per se, but they do seem to live in a "bubble" where they don't think they need/have to answer for their actions/pieces they write (they're right, but it's probably why there are so many "new" gaming sites that pop up, and why their revenues continue to struggle and being a game journalist is almost like being a starving artist these days). I just find that very odd, especially when most want to claim that honesty/transparency/trust are so important, but they won't even reply to emails, answer simple questions, etc.

inm8num2

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m22qkaAMJy1qk5ynno1_400.gif[IMG]

The end finally begins. Can't wait for her to start making her missteps.[/QUOTE]

Sadly I don't think it will matter in terms of losing her backers. "The tribe has spoken."

I expect maybe 50-60 people will drop out, most of them being $1 backers who are in it for the lulz and for the scam-infested updates. But the people who support her and don't see anything wrong probably are lost forever.

Vaco6121

Sadly I don't think it will matter in terms of losing her backers. "The tribe has spoken."

I expect maybe 50-60 people will drop out, most of them being $1 backers who are in it for the lulz and for the scam-infested updates. But the people who support her and don't see anything wrong probably are lost forever.

True, I really don't expect people to drop out; I hope they do, don't I expect it. At this point I just want to watch her start to make mistakes and watch how much she will screw herself over by the end of this.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The part that bothers me is how she keeps commenting on how much each person who has criticized her has contributed. There's no reason for Kickstarter to make that information available to the person seeking funding until Kickstarter has disbursed the funding and it becomes necessary for the information to be released for the awards to be distributed appropriately.

I'm sure now that we have mentioned it, that they will though right? I would email and ask, but most won't even reply to emails.
No. This is small fish. She'll make between 30 and 50k,and that's not enough money for your average reader to get really angry over. It's also become a complete clusterfuck of complexity with people accusing her of all sorts of things that didn't end up being true, so the article would end up being controversial. Best to let this quietly blow over, I suppose.

I'm kind of hoping this continues to provide entertainment after it ends, if she doesn't just disappear off the face of the planet.

No. This is small fish. She'll make between 30 and 50k,and that's not enough money for your average reader to get really angry over..

Ah, so that's why they covered it in the first place then. Now I get it. Gamers get upset over what appears to be a scam, let's accuse the gamers of not knowing what they're talking about. Situation that was defended apparently turns out to be the scam, let's not cover it.

Ah, so that's why they covered it in the first place then. Now I get it. Gamers get upset over what appears to be a scam, let's accuse the gamers of not knowing what they're talking about. Situation that was defended apparently turns out to be the scam, let's not cover it.
Eh, I don't think it's anything malicious, and a couple of sites edited their original articles to warn about some of the scam information, I just think it really doesn't warrant an article.

If someone goes back and writes an anti-kickstarter opinion piece or something in the future, and provides this as evidence, that would make more sense as a new article. As it is, most of their audience will have forgotten about this already.

(Also this appeared on the men's rights reddit and I think most news sites wouldn't want to touch that with a 10-foot pole)

inm8num2

Oh goddammit.

Creator Susan Wilson about 2 hours ago

@Peter, I do that because I'm passionate and work hard to support women and entrepreneurship. I've given women money and I'm proud of my accomplishments and what I've done to not only pay it back but also pay it forward.

This shouldn't be about me and yet it keeps coming back to me. I haven't publicized the good work I've done.
But AdviseHer was done with a group of undergrads at Georgetown. Ask them what their experience was. Ask them what they think of me.

@Peter, take your 2nd insincere $1 pledge that you enjoy pledging and canceling so you can comment and find something good to do in the world because this isn't making the world a better place.

She's the reluctant hero, LOL. What good work? Cybersquatting? Buying cheap phone cases and selling them at a 10x markup? Asking poor people on the internet for money to send her kid to a camp?

4x04.gif

tumblr_m22qkaAMJy1qk5ynno1_400.gif

The end finally begins. Can't wait for her to start making her missteps.

Guys, the money is just going to skyrocket with this comment. There is a reason people in this thread are calling her a master manipulator. Anybody that would have had a doubt either wouldn't have donated to begin with, have already pulled out, or are not doubting enough.

She made it a point to remind people that the donations are for a 9 year old girl, and that it is Kenzie's project to give people an idea on what they are abandoning. She is trying to look like a Good Guy Greg when really she is appealing to the stubborness and desire to be morally superior to the "doubters" and "abandoners" in an effort to convince them to stay.

Vaco6121

Oh goddammit.

She's the reluctant hero, LOL. What good work? Cybersquatting? Buying cheap phone cases and selling them at a 10x markup? Asking poor people on the internet for money to send her kid to a camp?

I kinda wish she would publicized the good work she done. I can't find any.

Guys, the money is just going to skyrocket with this comment. There is a reason people in this thread are calling her a master manipulator. Anybody that would have had a doubt either wouldn't have donated to begin with, have already pulled out, or are not doubting enough.

She made it a point to remind people that the donations are for a 9 year old girl, and that it is Kenzie's project to give people an idea on what they are abandoning. She is trying to look like a Good Guy Greg when really she is appealing to the stubborness and desire to be morally superior to the "doubters" and "abandoners" in an effort to convince them to stay.

I know it will.

Quite honestly Im just in awe that the goal keeps on growing.

How did this go from a mere "829$" to a rocking budget of 50.000$ is beyond me.

Top Bottom