• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Vaco6121

it won't change anything.the fraud doesn't matter because the person committing this picked the right identity politics to play on peoples emotions. We lost and she won.

It ain't over til its over. She hasn't won yet. She will screw herself over by the end of this.

Azull

So...apparently I should stop working and make up a scam kickstarter to make money. Since, apparently there are enough morons who would actually pay for this shit. I mean, come on.

gob-bluth-come-on-o.gif

Muku

It ain't over til its over. She hasn't won yet. She will screw herself over by the end of this.

You sure about that? Looking grim for the sane side of the internet. And I wouldn't mind if she just sat down and answered legit questions. True or not is a different story, but at least she'd be trying then. And while she says she got a CAD designer her to help with the phone case, it didn't look like it carried any more than the one folks have been saying she was reselling.
Yeah, I think she was buying them and marking them up.
Plus, who in their right mind wants to carry all that important stuff in one spot? Lose it? LOL sucks to be you.

Vaco6121

You sure about that? Looking grim for the sane side of the internet. And I wouldn't mind if she just sat down and answered legit questions. True or not is a different story, but at least she'd be trying then. And while she says she got a CAD designer her to help with the phone case, it didn't look like it carried any more than the one folks have been saying she was reselling.
Yeah, I think she was buying them and marking them up.
Plus, who in their right mind wants to carry all that important stuff in one spot? Lose it? LOL sucks to be you.

I strongly believe she be her own downfall before the end of the kickstarter. As it gets closer and closer to the end and she starts to realize that she has won it, she will start slipping up and make the big missteps that will lead to the end of it.
I hold out the hope that this will happen.

Flink

I strongly believe she be her own downfall before the end of the kickstarter. As it gets closer and closer to the end and she starts to realize that she has won it, she will start slipping up and make the big missteps that will lead to the end of it.
I hold out the hope that this will happen.

Eh, she's always have the "This is a NINE YEAR OLD!!!" crutch to fall on.

Jac_Solar

Oh man, DRM has entered the picture. LOL hold on to yer butts.

Anybody want to bet the only way for backers to get their "game" (a five minute demo made by someone in the MIT Games Lab) will be to register on Susan's site, join whatever con she's running there, and sign up for her newsletter or some shit like that?

Why is she looking into DRM, if her daughter is making the game?

I understand the DRM free preference and I'll look into the details as we get closer to the July release.

Why is she talking about doing things to the game, when her daughter is the one making the game?

I know RC and I have been talking about doing some cool things with the game for backers (including signed CDs of the game in a case), but that's a work in process.

Why can't she ask her daughter about which platforms it will work on, since she's actually the one making it? Why must she ask her father?

@KS Backer, she's making the game in RPG Maker and my understanding is RPG maker only creates games for PCs. But again, I'm not a gamer. When her dad gets home from work, I'll ask him.

inm8num2

She's trying to sound "knowledgeable" and appear "aware" of the concerns of "gamers".

edit - yup, LOL

The Art Factory 1 minute ago

Susan is understated.. 100%.. she knows more than about DRM

--------------------
LnGrrrR 11 minutes ago

@susan, glad to hear you at least know about DRM :)

its-working-its-working.gif

inm8num2

You know who else would do good to cover this?

Maddox (Best Page in the Universe). He would eviscerate everything Susan has said and done.

Muku

LOL this has to be a meme at this point. Every time he puts up something new it's like 3 pages of this.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=467492&highlight=maddox

LOL, it's funny you say that. I just literally haven't seen him mentioned in years. I don't know of anyone that used to read his page either. I can't even remember how I originally found his website. Or why I stopped reading to be honest. I guess it was just something that was big in the day, we forgot about, and now we're surprised. But I find it highly funny I'm not only one saying that same thing.

EDIT: Holy crap, Seanbaby is still around too. Maybe this is a sign I'm getting old and senile, LOL. Somewhere along the way forgot about these guys. But they're still around, lurking on the internet.

Just like...

ikKFgDteSU8hy.gif

So...apparently I should stop working and make up a scam kickstarter to make money. Since, apparently there are enough morons who would actually pay for this shit. I mean, come on.

gob-bluth-come-on-o.gif

Here's the deal though, would THIS KS have actually done as well as it (unfortunately) has, without all the big sites promoting it and basically defending it?

It would have been higher if people didn't start questioning it.

I haven't seen any real questioning on the major sites that covered it though. They didn't ask very basic questions, that many around here asked, and instead turned it to a "Mom getting attacked for wanting to help daughter" situation.

I haven't seen any real questioning on the major sites that covered it though. They didn't ask very basic questions, that many around here asked, and instead turned it to a "Mom getting attacked for wanting to help daughter" situation.

News sites haven't but for the most part, blogs and forum communities have absolutely killed it. There was a slight uptick the day kotaku,cnet and huffington post came in but it's been a trickle compared to the first 3 days. It'll be interesting to see what happens to funding during the last 48 hours. Will people pull out or will there be a 24 hour bump.

I just read the last few posts. She's thinking about selling the game on STEAM and GOG?

Parallacs

News sites haven't but for the most part, blogs and forum communities have absolutely killed it. There was a slight uptick the day kotaku,cnet and huffington post came in but it's been a trickle compared to the first 3 days. It'll be interesting to see what happens to funding during the last 48 hours. Will people pull out or will there be a 24 hour bump.

I just read the last few posts. She's thinking about selling the game on STEAM and GOG?

MIT just found a way to make money through Steam.

I personally hope she releases it only for origin.

Etzer

Oh snap.

Though, know nothing about MyLife. Is this some shit someone could have made up to throw us off? Either way... /popcorn

I don't know about this info, but while looking up some family members a while back, I was really surprised at all the information about my family on MyLife. Most of the info was outdated ("currently lives in..."), but was certainly valid.

Man, this story keeps getting crazier.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Oh snap.

Though, know nothing about MyLife. Is this some shit someone could have made up to throw us off? Either way... /popcorn

MyLife is a social networking site. Used to be Reunion.com and a few other alumni-type sites. The problem is that when someone sets up a profile on MyLife, the site will then start crawling through/collecting any contact lists and address books it can see (anything not encrypted) and will then populate its database with those people's information. It will then spam the shit out of those people. It's basically a friendship breaker.

Gold Member
So let me get this right the latest is:

• She is using stock images as assets for the game and saying the backers have made them.
  • Her son is apparently 19 (although he may have lied about his age for whatever reason) which would cast doubt on whether her daughter is 9.
  • She is planning on adding DRM to the game and / or selling it on a DD site

This thread never fails to deliver, it has become my second home. That total keeps rising though, I am actually thinking of backing myself (no really) there are a few questions I keep hoping backers will ask but they don't for some reason. Would need to dig out my flame retardant gear first though, not sure if its worth the aggro.

kaioshade

Events like this make me realize that power and rules are truly made by the wealthy.
Kickstarter wil not shut this project down, they fear what she and her money can do to them.

Might as well pack it up and move on.

Oh that's nice, using Marumiyan artwork on her shitty pinkiesquare website. I'm sure you got permission for that Susan, is he one of your backers?

inm8num2

She removed Kicking it Forward from her title, but not her bio or the KIF website yet. Damn it, she's going to make this appear more legit.

KS Backer 1 minute ago

Susan,

I'm happy to see you've removed the link to 'Kicking It Forward' and are keeping the focus on Kenzie and PinkieSquare. As I stated in my first post, Brian Fargo's initiative simply doesn't apply to this project. Kicking It Forward is for projects that are developed from the ground up to be sold for profit, and, as you have repeatedly stated, this project isn't about monetizing Kenzie or her game. Also, as you said yesterday, "So most people aren't expecting some huge commercial success b/c this is really about Kenzie making a game - not paying others to make it for her."

I think it would be more appropriate to host it on PinkieSquare for free so other kids can be inspired to pursue their own ideas in a safe environment. To be honest, I seriously doubt any commercial DD service will pick Kenzie's game up for distribution since the target audience for this game does not necessarily coincide with the user base of most DD services. As you pointed out, this is her first attempt at developing a RPG so expectations need to be kept in check. People are backing Kenzie's project so she can know the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that comes with reaching her goal, not getting the next Planescape: Torment game to play.

Oh, and don't forget to remove the Kicking It Forward URL from your bio and the game from KickingItForward.org.

Here's some contact information for inXile (including Brian Fargo's twitter) if you run into any difficulty in removing the project:

http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/links

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This really pisses me off..

I made an indiegogo campaign to sell handmade Thai style clothing and didn't get 1 pledge.

This grogan is clearly lying through her teeth, and making $$$! Gah

You just needed to tweak your presentation.

Your 7 year old son* is teased by his older sisters for wanting to make clothes. For a mere $20k pledge, they will make a video apologizing.

You only need $893 to send him to a clothing camp, but if others donate, you'll be able to buy him a quality Bernina 830 so that he can deliver clothes to the $10 pledges.

*Existence of son/son's actual age is irrelevant.

tafer

You just needed to tweak your presentation.

Your 7 year old son* is teased by his older sisters for wanting to make clothes. For a mere $20k pledge, they will make a video apologizing.

You only need $893 to send him to a clothing camp, but if others donate, you'll be able to buy him a quality Bernina 830 so that he can deliver clothes to the $10 pledges.

*Existence of son/son's actual age is irrelevant.

Wrong, needs to be a girl and if she is poor and maybe part of some minority even better, well maybe. You need to add as many "feel" good crap as possible, it gives you some powerful name calling capabilities when then critics come. Oh and don't forget that "journalists" love that stuff.

Labadal

I'm not sure what I expected when I reported this campaign, but at least, I was expecting a response. I've cancelled all my kickstarter pledges and moved them over to paypal. The sad thing is that this will hurt honest projects.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I really want her to respond about those stock images. That's hilarious. Does the daughter actually do anything creative, or is that some wish that Susan is trying to make true?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I really want her to respond about those stock images. That's hilarious. Does the daughter actually do anything creative, or is that some wish that Susan is trying to make true?
There's no way to know. I doubt we'll ever hear a single truth from Susan, and of course Kenzie isn't going to post anything herself.

Jenga

Banned
I can only imagine the reason why the media hasn't eaten this shit alive is because some journalist supporters don't wanna look like the fuckin' mooks they are getting scammed.

udivision

I assumed she was lying about the age from the beginning. The whole "I'm tall for my age, I'm even taller than my teacher" was instantly translated as "yeah, I'm not 9" from the getgo, but that seemed like one of the less egregious moral problems with the KS.

You haven't seen this then.

And I hadn't seen Ben Kuchera popping in to call those who take issue with this kickstarter assholes before closing the comments? What's up with that?

Interesting he said if there were further issues to take it up via email. This guy hasn't even been decent enough to respond to emails I provided him back in January, after he told me, "You certainly have my attention. What's the issue you found?".

But he was decent enough to block me on Twitter, I guess trying to continue living in his journalism bubble of honesty/transparency?

Why he would try and waste more readers' time on Penny-Arcade in emails, when he has a history of not answering my own emails after he asked me about an issue I had mentioned, I think is kind of bizarre...

Vamphuntr

Wait, she intends to sell the game?

Why not? She already saw how websites, backers and even the MIT are falling for it, might as well go for the big bucks now. Buy the game made by a poor 9 years old girl bullied by her older brothers and show the world any young girl can make a game!!!11!

Gold Member
Shout out to detective GAF here. Although he has a point the site doesn't state they are going in the game. Mind you nothing would surprise me about this anymore. Why put them up there otherwise?

Unless...SHE IS TROLLING US GAF!!!

Mathias Røyrvik 13 minutes ago
@privacy advocate How do you know that those monsters are from the game? The reason Susan hasn't posted it is because it's not related to the game at this time from what I can see. The monsters on that site are stock images - http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery-498883p1.html…
Thanks to NeoGAF for the link (to gaffers, good job, but weak to jump to the conclusion that Susan is using stick images for the game based on what privacy says)
Since this is not going away I'm interested in if there is a plan for the learning website. What will it focus on? Making games with RPG Maker? Introduction to game art? 2D? 3D? Writing for games? Etc... When can we expect to get a proper update on the progress? It would be nice if MIT could do a quick video outlining what they're intending to go through at the camp.
Gotta go, my banana is ringing (sorry for typos, it's horrible to write long text on my phone)

This is starting to remind me of that one episode from Ed, Edd n Eddy where Eddy kept tweaking the same scam over and over again. The kids in the cul de sac fell for it the first couple of times but within time knew what was really going on. Some of these backers act like they're straight from a cartoon, you would think they can take a clue from the source they're portraying.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I hope that anyone, who is still following this, is only doing so in order to learn a valuable life lesson about our society. Some of you are letting this become an obsession. If this KS has opened your eyes to some things, then I suggest that you spend that time, which you have used to follow Susan, on educating yourself about other, far more reaching & important, corruption within your economy.

This KS scam is the bottom of the barrel for people of this nature. It's inconsequential in monetary terms. In ethical terms, it is a decent spring board for those of us who were either too young or too naive to know about this sort of thing, and why certain individuals constantly get away with it.

May I suggest a book to those of you who wish to know more. Some of you may have already heard of it. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man: John Perkins.

My dad suggested this book to me, and he cosigned much of it. My dad was the keystone of a team responsible for making quite a few people into millionaires and millionaires into multimillionaires. Amongst other business consortium's, he was a member of a nation wide financial think tank, which consisted of some of the best financial minds in the country. So he was definitely in a position to know some things, to say the least.

There is a very dark side to the business world, especially the higher up you go. You won't get far unless you belong to some of the more prestigious associations of commerce and finance. The banks and corporations, that control the flow of money, just won't work with you. And no business wants to be on their "black list" whether your business is internet based or otherwise.

Wrong, needs to be a girl and if she is poor and maybe part of some minority even better, well maybe. You need to add as many "feel" good crap as possible, it gives you some powerful name calling capabilities when then critics come. Oh and don't forget that "journalists" love that stuff.

Exactly. I posted a video to YouTube of our 3 year old beating Super Mario Bros. World 1-1, and wasn't exactly astounded by all the sites posting "Watch gameplay video of 3 year old BOY beat Super Mario Bros. World 1-1!!!" (None did, except me on my blog.)

Perhaps had I said, "3 year old girl beats Mario to prove to her brothers she can do it" it would have been picked up by sites? Even though the title would be factually incorrect, that doesn't seem to matter when the sites run with stories right? And if they contact me, I sure don't have to worry with them asking me any legitimate questions about the video, right?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Perhaps had I said, "3 year old girl beats Mario to prove to her brothers she can do it" it would have been picked up by sites? Even though the title would be factually incorrect, that doesn't seem to matter when the sites run with stories right? And if they contact me, I sure don't have to worry with them asking me any legitimate questions about the video, right?

Have him play again, and do just that. See how far it goes.

Muku

Thanks to NeoGAF for the link (to gaffers, good job, but weak to jump to the conclusion that Susan is using stick images for the game based on what privacy says)

I think most of us take it as a joke, because honestly? JCS is a nut. Though with what he has to say and the amount he likes to talk about Susan, does make one wonder what his deal in all this is. Still thinking he's creeping behind a plant watching the Wilson family. But, this does go to say Susan should distance herself from JCS. Yeah, he's a supporter, but he's one of those supporters that I wouldn't want on my side, even if I was the only one on my side. I find he tends to hurt rather than help. And this is in regards to all his creepy talk about the family. Never mind his incoherent thoughts at times.

We, my friends, have a week to go until we can begin the watching to see how this turns out. I don't expect crap from a 9 year old. It's not to say a 9 year old can't make anything, but this whole thing has been a farce, and at this point, I still don't feel like anything concrete has come from Kenzie. The whole telling of the base story thing was kind of coached by her father. And to be fair, basing it off the KC and whole troll thing seems like a facepalm moment. But also goes to show she had no plans before this.

One week until perhaps the real party begins?

Muku

At this point I just want to see what kind of game they make.

~Maybe it'll be an indie sensation!~

Actually, now you mention this, makes me wonder if it's going to be one of the shortest RPGs in history, or if the genre will change. I liked how in one of Susan's walls of text, she noted that RPGs were one of the hardest genres to make. Does this mean Kenzie will make this an adventure game instead or something? I'm sure she thought everyone on the net was a Debbie Downer by saying "OMG RPG in a week?! LOLOL". She doesn't even know the start of it until she sees how much is involved.

Top Bottom