• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

inm8num2

RC about 9 hours ago

@Monsters in the Game
Susan is not using any monsters and such from stock images. Since this is only development stages, I can say the images that Susan will put up are from her children, other kids, and friends. So, when it is put up, it would be respectful that you watch your words... we are talking about Makenzie and children making the art, and would do them injustice trolling them because they are not 'Professionals'.

ughhh

Muku

LOL @ your quote. Saw it earlier. Know best part? Apparently JCS knows everything still.

privacy advocate

@Mathias, that artist sold his work to Susan for this project. It was part of what backer funds are targetted, buying professional art. I feel Susan must have been too busy on whatever it takes to run a huge family and she must have overlooked posting the art here.. but behind the scenes, the game development is an every day activity.. and it's beyond impressive what's happening.. and i would say the part Susan is playing is partly she's being very generous with this project.. sharing this project with kids of any age who want to go to MIT and learn games.. from the privacy of the internet, but maybe some actual OTHER kids will be making games.. as of now I know they hope to make a large number of games.. and it only happened because of the very principled opposition with really salient protests, and also, the mean threatening types did help the project as societies' best recognized and came to Susan offering their support.. their art. Lynn Hogan, look up her art.. she's going to be helping Kenzie with custom art... she is SUCH A GREAT ARTIST. i really have no way to word it.. i'm amazed by her art.. and have no idea how she's able to make such amazing images but you will really like her art.
MIT's role.. i think they want to teach 1billion children and Kenzie just happened to strike the nerve as the first 9 year old girl to try publically.. MIT is giving Kenzie about 8 hours a day? of private training by top experts.. all taped so you can come to class too. it's likely to be in Scratch.. and i should not reveal Susan's business since it's just being defined but the game concepts look amazing.. and there are more than one.. and Kenzie has a really imaginative process where she's really trying to design games.. and i suggested early on that she do at least 3 games in concept and try for more.. then settle one to do first.. and as she did this.. there are a huge list of games/options/elements.. I will be very impressed if this 9 year old stays into the project.. remember when you were nine? three week phases...

RC has already stated the monsters weren't being used. Then JCS comes in and says they are. LOL. Again, Susan needs to tell JCS to shut it, because he's not helping her case.

EDIT: Also, by now, I'd have liked JCS to learn the sentence structure. As I go on, it gets more difficult to read his run on paragraphs.

And man, can this dude ramble hardcore.

privacy advocate 1 minute ago

i think that artist that makes the monsters is fairly poor and he placed them on stock art hoping to find people to help him make more art.. i wish he'd do a kickstarter.. his monsters are amazing.. i think his monsters will become very well received as more people see them, how sweet and scary they are at the same time. and they seem to be rigged 3d models.. but i haven't been in touch with him about that yet.. but i'm hoping we can rig them so they can be animated.. Kenzie's role as the 'decider' is very clear and she's got 100% authority to dream up any element or veto anything.. She has such a compassion, when one of her games had bad creatures being turned to stone.. she felt bad for them.. so set about figuring out how to fix them back to life.. she actually cared about evil monsters enough to not want to hurt them... she's a very creative kid.

Kenzie's role as the 'decider' is very clear

Every time I heard that word thrown around [which is fairly often, apparently] I think about that infamous George W. Bush quote. And it's probably about as true in this case as it was in Dubya's.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Has anyone seen her pinkiesquare site being updated ._.

http://www.pinkiesquare.com/#!qa/c5l4

Who's answering these questions lol WTF is this madness.

This one is good lol

"4. What do you think is the most important part of a Game's Design?

The 30 Second Commercial! For any game I work on, after making my way through all the What-If's, I make a 30 second commercial. Not actual video, but a script of what I will show the player to entice them to play.

I take the 6 ideas I have that I think really shape this game, and give them each about 5 seconds of time. I have to include clear details about what the player sees, so not just saying that "cars drive in really cool ways", but clarifying to "You see cars skidding around corners, and leaping across crumbling bridges." Here's why:

1) If you have a hard time figuring out how to write a concept in an exciting way, that you think will get peoples attention, then throw that idea out and try another. Your starting to figure out if its fun or not.

2) This is what you will build. All your attention, designs, programming and art from this point on, should be dedicated to making that commercial real. The commercial will be ready, when you can record the commercial from clips in your actual game.

3) Stop the WHAT IF's. New interesting ideas come up all the time. Use the commercial as a shield to say that if this idea isn't making *this* commercial a reality, then set it aside for later. But your working on the commercial for now.

4) Are Friends going to help out? Give them the commercial to read over. This should help them imagine what the game is, how it works, and what special about it.

5) You don't need to release to the public. Once you've made the 30 second commercial a reality, you may really want to add a dozen more things before it goes out. Pick one or two, and get them done, then another one or two, etc....
"

Zoe

:lol at the self-plug in the latest comment. It's the same guy on the site.

Edit: Didn't the site look different (and more professional) the other day?

Jac_Solar

LOL @ your quote. Saw it earlier. Know best part? Apparently JCS knows everything still.

RC has already stated the monsters weren't being used. Then JCS comes in and says they are. LOL. Again, Susan needs to tell JCS to shut it, because he's not helping her case.

EDIT: Also, by now, I'd have liked JCS to learn the sentence structure. As I go on, it gets more difficult to read his run on paragraphs.

And man, can this dude ramble hardcore.

I will be very impressed if this 9 year old stays into the project.. remember when you were nine? three week phases...

Is this something that backers would want to hear?

and i suggested early on that she do at least 3 games in concept and try for more

She's going to do 3 concept games? RPG games?

i think they want to teach 1billion children and Kenzie just happened to strike the nerve as the first 9 year old girl to try publically..

Aren't there loads of Kickstarters with children making stuff, like games? I doubt this is the first public project of that type.

Susan needs to either tell this guy to stop posting, or stop posting lies. I am assuming he's just posting whatever he thinks. If he's actually a part of the project, and knows what's going on, then he's just making the fact that this is a scam more obvious -- if that's possible.

Who's answering those Q&A questions at the site? Unless they are from a very experienced developer/someone who has made several games, received feedback, etc. the answers are obviously pointless.

Lava cave looks fuckin' hard.

I love how they have two identical screenshots of each location with the player just a few squares in a different direction.

That's to show your character can actually move in the game. People wonder about that, you know.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
118018_2_6008ouhv.png

http://www.pinkiesquare.com/#!blogs/c17u6

"Hi, my name is Michael and I’m a 20-year-old game creator"

Isn't this Kenzie's brother? Also seems odd that for an intro blog he doesn't go into the overall journey, it's just about using Game Maker. I would expect a college kid to be a little nostalgic for those simple days, but tinged with the wisdom that it's a mere stepping stone and at least mentioning further development since other than "I've come a long way"

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
http://www.pinkiesquare.com/#!blogs/c17u6

"Hi, my name is Michael and I’m a 20-year-old game creator"

Isn't this Kenzie's brother? Also seems odd that for an intro blog he doesn't go into the overall journey, it's just about using Game Maker. I would expect a college kid to be a little nostalgic for those simple days, but tinged with the wisdom that it's a mere stepping stone and at least mentioning further development since other than "I've come a long way"

Not one of her brothers and doesn't look 20 to me in that pic :\

Most likely some random kid's face Susan found on google.

Muku

:lol at the self-plug in the latest comment. It's the same guy on the site.

Edit: Didn't the site look different (and more professional) the other day?

Holy crap the website looked worse than before. At least before, even though I didn't like it, looked more professional. Now they're dumbing it down to make kids get excited? You can keep a relatively professional face while making it for kids. Hell at least first page should look nice.

SEE KENZIE DIDN'T NEED TO GO TO CAMP TO LEARN THIS! Oh my god, what horrible coloring scheme on this website.. and these screen shots? Wait..what has this website turned into? A circus... holy shit.

By the way on the Home tab I love how a paint splash totally covers up the text in the box at the size I have my browser window. GG. Who does that shit on top of stuff?

The Q&A is horrific... seriously, what the hell? Because questions like how hard is it to be a game designer.. how the hell would Kenzie and mom know? I kind of want to hit a Submit Question and ask "Who is answering these questions?" Because I kind of feel like that is important to know. Is it some joe schmoe? Getting random, non useful advice from someone who doesn't know a thing about it isn't really good advice.

Also, those screenshots make me cry and laugh at the same time... That dude isn't 20. Someone Google'd a random picture of a dude named Michael or she found some old picture of him online or something.

This website makes my head hurt. I laughed, I cried, then I laughed once more... then I realized we're just a bit away until this just gets better.

EDIT: Also why do I get the feeling on the Rules page this is meant for adults rather than kids: "Let's be honest, these are just good habits that generally make for good human beings. Disagree? You should leave now" That sounds a bit rude, does it not?

This whole thing just slowly gets better somehow. I've noticed that they've lost a lot of money over night. But seriously, this website now is just wow. And I assume all those characters on the screenshot area are premade RPG Maker assets, yeah?

Muku

I was hoping that Michael guy would give his last name. I want to see if he's a real dude or some made up one. I wonder just because that photo by his name doesn't say 20 year old. :/

Vaco6121

I was hoping that Michael guy would give his last name. I want to see if he's a real dude or some made up one. I wonder just because that photo by his name doesn't say 20 year old. :/

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. That is not a 20 year old in that picture, if it is Susan can have my $1 donation to the kickstarter.

xelios

He's real. I researched based on the mention of his first game (Air Vent's Adventure) and found the original website for it, his Game Maker community profile, Youtube channel with a couple Game Maker vids as well as his Facebook. All the info including name, age and face matches up, though that is certainly not a recent photo. No reason for anyone to harass this guy btw, as he's done nothing wrong.

Matrix

He's real. I researched based on the mention of his first game (Air Vent's Adventure) and found the original website for it, his Game Maker community profile, Youtube channel with a couple Game Maker vids as well as his Facebook. All the info including name, age and face matches up.

Does he still look like that or did she post a pic of him when he was younger so it would seem less odd?

Cause he still does not look like a 20 year old in that pic.

xelios

Does he still look like that or did she post a pic of him when he was younger so it would seem less odd?

Cause he still does not look like a 20 year old in that pic.

It's definitely an old photo. Let's just say the poor guy didn't mature very well.

Matrix

It's definitely an old photo. Let's just say the poor guy didn't mature very well.

lol

Wow slick move by her to post a pic of him when he was younger. Don't want to creep the kids out smh

xelios

What's the point in doing that? I really don't understand why use an old photo unless it is to make the website more kid-friendly and all that.

It could be his choice, like I said his new ones are pretty rough. If anyone wants to confirm things with him it's easy to find him and write on Facebook or via e-mail, I just decided against posting any info.

Vaco6121

It could be his choice, like I said his new ones are pretty rough. If anyone wants to confirm things with him it's easy to find him and write on Facebook or via e-mail, I just decided against posting any info.

I don't blame you for not posting his info, I don't see the point in digging deeper/asking him since it does not really matter in the grand scheme of it all. To me, it is just weird to not use a current photo, no matter how bad it is.

Muku

He's real. I researched based on the mention of his first game (Air Vent's Adventure) and found the original website for it, his Game Maker community profile, Youtube channel with a couple Game Maker vids as well as his Facebook. All the info including name, age and face matches up, though that is certainly not a recent photo. No reason for anyone to harass this guy btw, as he's done nothing wrong.

I don't think anyone here wants to harass him. I think folks just want to see if he's legit. Maybe with the game name I didn't add enough to the Google search, but I didn't really come across anything regarding the game. Though I guess I won't lie, didn't try too hard.

To me, it is just weird to not use a current photo, no matter how bad it is.

^ This so much. Yeah, it's a kid friendly site, and that's great, but I don't see how posting a 20 year olds picture would be bad. I mean, some of these folks that started as kids are going to be adults. Just seems creepier to use an old picture. And if newer ones are rougher, it'd be better that there'd be none at all. I'm not sure why she feels like she needs to attach a face to the persons name, unless they want to. (But attaching older pictures I always find kind of creepy.)

EDIT: Still interested in who is answering the FAQ though...

xelios

I don't think anyone here wants to harass him. I think folks just want to see if he's legit. Maybe with the game name I didn't add enough to the Google search, but I didn't really come across anything regarding the game. Though I guess I won't lie, didn't try too hard.

Add quotes, I found it all in under 2 minutes. There's really nothing that doesn't check out; that's his name, age, photo and he clearly has a history with Game Maker and created the game he blogs about. This is a dead end, there's plenty of actually sketchy stuff left to pursue.

Muku

Add quotes, I found it all in under 2 minutes. There's really nothing that doesn't check out; that's his name, age, photo and he clearly has a history with Game Maker and created the game he blogs about. This is a dead end, there's plenty of actually sketchy stuff left to pursue.

If you mean in regards to Susan, no point in finding any other sketchy stuff. She'll avoid it and claim she's answered it already. :p Though really think the Q&A is pretty horrible. Tempted to contact her and ask her who the hell is answering that. They aren't qualified to answer (as in Wilson family). And if they have someone in industry answering them (or each one is individually answered by someone) should at least make note.

But I will say that whole site has been downgraded. I'm transported back to my horrible days of learning HTML and making a website. And I doubt Kenzie is running it, so should a little more professional if they're trying to make this a thing.

Ah well, who am I kidding. Susan claims folks didn't want her spending the money on the website and says she's doing it on her own now (though no one has said that I recall). She'd be better off spending some of the KS money for an actual webmaster. Or at least an initial designer. :/

EDIT: Wow, nevermind. I think I found the answer. Originally when I clicked the Create button, it wouldn't go anywhere. Now I go to this page about some dude named Violet. Learn Build Play or whatever section is coming soon, but when I go to the Q&A and mouse over (and have hit it to make sure it opens my mail program with it) it opens it up to Violet@pinkiesquare.com. So I assume he's the one answering. I know things have to be kind of brought down for kids and all, but I'm not sure some of these adults think kids are as smart as they are. :/

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

Maybe that was the only photo Susan could find after finding this guy's game online to use as an example. Maybe she faked that blog post, because it sounds like something she'd write. Do we know if Michael really posted that or is even aware of the site?

Matrix

Not much news over at the comments or from Susan.

She removed "kickingitforward.org" from her bio. Damn it.

She has 5 days till she pockets a shit load of money. Silence is her ally now.

inm8num2

She has 5 days till she pockets a shit load of money. Silence is her ally now.

Very true. I doubt she posts much in the KS comments page for the rest of the campaign.

I guess all I can do is shake my head and pity the poor suckers who are giving this cybersquatting millionaire $25000 so she can buy a few first class plane tickets, stay in luxury hotels, buy a $2500 laptop, and possibly have some nerd at MIT make a game and put her daughter's name on it.

Bollocks

Every time this thread gets bumped I check in to see if it's been canceled already and every time I leave disappointed :(

I mean this was never about her daughter going to that camp, she could afford that - easily.
This was daylight robbery and yet everyone seems to be ok with it

Muku

Not even sure why Susan added Kicking it Forward. It's like she's grasping at straws to try to make it bigger. The real question is... did she remove it from the website? It looks like it. I imagine she only did it because A) she didn't actually read about what was to be forwarded amount wise; and B) free advertisement somewhere else.

I don't mean to put a child down, yadda-yadda, but these 'WIP' screens are something anyone with even a basic knowledge of RPG Maker could whip up in 5-10 minutes. Its using all default stuff, and the design itself is pretty simple. The hero is even the default one.

That's what I thought, but I'm thinking she's betting that folks don't know that. Don't know much about RPG Maker and don't realize it comes with assets and all to use. But even still those pictures where it's like character is on one side then next screen shot they're on other side of same screen is like "Wow, really guys?" Sad all the way around. But I bet her daughter will learn a lot more actually learning it on her own (assuming she really is trying) than going to that camp.

Was glad to see total drop other day, but see it's slowly going back up. I figure at the week mark Susan would stay silent. It's in her best interest. Especially if no one is really posting in comments, she has no reason to. They're rolling over and getting ready to be fleeced.

Susan should still pay someone to handle the website. Good god.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Every time this thread gets bumped I check in to see if it's been canceled already and every time I leave disappointed :(

I mean this was never about her daughter going to that camp, she could afford that - easily.
This was daylight robbery and yet everyone seems to be ok with it

I'm telling people, this won't be cancelled. RPG Maker is made as a low-entry tool. Now you can do amazing stuff with it with some time, effort, creativity, talent, etc. But this project I was pretty sure and looks to be shaping up into exactly what I expected from it: A lazily made game using default stuff and probably generic in every way.

It's not bad for a child to experiment. I started making games when I was 10, and I did the same sort of thing, which you learn and grow from... But due to everything else around this project, this feels cheap. This is the sort of thing you don't need funding for at all. IT can be done in your free time really easily, and there are a lot of help resources completely free to teach you everything you need to know.

Muku

Susan, let me quote some things and please, we all would like some honest answers. No more of this mind game crap.

$50,000 STRETCH GOAL: Creative Commons Custom Asset Library Available for Free to the Indie Gaming Community

Why is this a $50,000 stretch goal now? Where is the $23k+ going? You no longer need a laptop or RPG Maker camp. Let me quote:

Philip Tan, Creative Director for the MIT Game Lab, is volunteering 1 week of his personal time in the Summer for in-person 1-on-1 mentorship sessions on game production and design with Mackenzie Wilson to help her produce her game. This volunteer time will be given whether or not the Kickstarter succeeds as it is in the spirit of replacing the RPG camp she can no longer attend.

And we just learned Dell is seeding Kenzie’s project with a portable Alienware unit so she can take it with her to Istanbul, MIT, and anywhere else she’ll be working to make her dreams come true.

Okay, so no more RPG Maker camp. And now she no longer needs a laptop (which you set aside in your budget 2.5k for, yes?). So, some money will be spent going to MIT, but I don't believe the 6k you budgeted for it seems appropriate. I could do a lot on 6k, and I live outside of the country. All you are doing is flying a few miles north. The CCL got moved to $50,000 stretch goal. So a bit of money going to MIT.. you specifically stated no money from KS would go to website, but I don't believe folks were saying you shouldn't use that money on it. So where does it go? If I could make a suggestion, please, for the love of god, pay someone to get a better design on PinkieSquare. It's a train wreck right now. While I wasn't a fan of the cityscape picture up top because it felt like a site about something else in terms of mood it sent, now it looks like a project a kindergartener worked on with crumbled paper, horrendous color choices, and paint splashes.

Please, really, save that site and get someone to make a nicer layout. That would be money well spent. That's assuming you want to prove folks wrong, right? Sure, it's not what the KS was originally about, since that has been chopped to pieces, but what's that matter? Everything else has been fair game to change.

Again, it may be semantics, but the Kickstarter campaign was always positioned as an RPG Project w/the end result being an RPG made by a 9 year old. The details were vague b/c she intended to make the game at RPG camp and supporters backed that dream. They didn't care about the story or what the game was about (which is interesting and important to note b/c they backed this project simply because they wanted to support Mackenzie and that's not something anyone can ever take away from her story). So much so, that they donated far beyond her goal. THAT IS PROOF THAT WE ARE GOOD. This can be good. Good is a choice.

No, it was initially about getting your girl to camp. The "game" was something tacked on to make it appear KS worthy. Actually, it wouldn't even matter if you'd given more time with the game. July release? That's like saying yall aren't even going to try much. That's disappointing. Also, off topic for a second, but how much yall plan on selling Kenzie's FIRST GAME for? I can't imagine many folks paying much for it. And fact you are even contemplating DRM goes to show you have a decent enough understanding of this stuff than you'd like to lead folks to believe.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd like to ask, why is it that backers back something makes you legit? Shouldn't it be your own ACTIONS that show you are on the up and up? So all those folks before who backed a project that didn't go through for whatever reason, they backed a legit person, right? So they thought. This isn't any different. What you fail to realize is that your previous actions speak louder than words. Towel capes for example. Seriously? Backers backing proves nothing other than folks giving up their money. The only one that can restore any faith is you.

All I'm asking is that you answer folks legit questions. The only thing I've seen you touch upon was the iPhone case. While you claimed to have hired a CAD designer to help you with that, we can't be all that sure what you say is true because nothing else we've seen gives us reason to believe you. Tackle these questions. You will get trolled no matter what.* But I'd seriously like some answers on your past attempts at projects as well as what your budget will be on this. I would post this on KS but I'm not a member. And to be honest, this wouldn't last there because there are no rainbows, ponies, unicorns, or hearts spewing from this post. I'm just trying to seek the truth. Isn't that what you are about?

* When I say this, it means you'll get trolled for telling lies and for telling truth. So no matter what you say or do on the internet, you'll have that problem. But give folks a reason to believe. All I want is the honest truth.

Now back to my original post...

---------------------

Seems a new update is up. I guess it's a flimsy intro to "the game". The best typo quote from it..

She knew the Isle of Kent like the back of her hand. What she didn’t know was who the creatures were that wreaked suck havoc and why?

Then you have awkwardly phrased things such as..

The Square was packed and people were everywhere.

Though this thing doesn't sound like something a 9 year old wrote.

Beyond the story is Kenzie is now giving "free" content to backers. AT NO ADDITIONAL COST! Wow, they're really trying.

Love the addition of a 50k stretch goal.

And some lovely snipets from the Special Thanks section for your enjoyment:

Dell has invited Mackenzie and me to be their guests at the Dell Women’s Entrepreneur Network, June 2-4th in Istanbul, Turkey.
Philip Tan, Creative Director for the MIT Game Lab, is volunteering 1 week of his personal time in the Summer for in-person 1-on-1 mentorship sessions on game production and design with Mackenzie Wilson to help her produce her game. This volunteer time will be given whether or not the Kickstarter succeeds as it is in the spirit of replacing the RPG camp she can no longer attend.

I guess she's canceled the camp because they were silly enough on the receipt to post too much information. Now she's afraid Kenzie will get stalked or something.

And we just learned Dell is seeding Kenzie’s project with a portable Alienware unit so she can take it with her to Istanbul, MIT, and anywhere else she’ll be working to make her dreams come true.

Plus, at the end of it all, you can see some drawings.

Top Bottom