• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Incredible: questionable past, complete disregard for the rules of the site, the project changed (and keeps changing) to whatever is needed to save face, expenses disappeared and this keeps going? Even worse, some people is defending this scam!?

Nice precedent there KS.
It's the perfect scam. And it's even easier when you have people practically begging to be scammed.

EDIT: looks like Corey realised the part about Art Factory and JCS too... or he was paying attention to this thread ;)
Cripes. Art factory is privacy advocate is joseph. Notice the extraneous use of double periods after every sentence. Why do you have to be talking under 50 different accounts? It's really weird actually and confusing at the same time.

Kinyou

It's hilarious how the game's story turned into a parody of the Kickstarter. Truth & Trolls looool

So obvious that the mother wrote the story though. I mean, she told us repeatedly that she was shielding her from all these comments, right?

Jac_Solar

I think he's just trying to be as polite as possible at this point and maybe he doesn't want that nut job Joseph Cecil Smith going after him lol

Then you see her latest update and everything her daughter is getting for free and this whole thing just looks even more disgusting at this point, it was never not shady like you said.

Its been bs since the start and its getting even more messed up towards the end. She's trying to get as much as she can right before this ends. Not shocking though considering who and what she's about.

hello dumb ass...

"
The Art Factory 2 minutes ago

@Corey, there's a lot of good things about Kenzie's project that are way beyond petty concerns about $20,000, which is the amount after processing, and likely to be lower because only 80-90% of transactions clear statistically.. $20,000 is not much to make a decent game.. most people i've read simply wanted to help Kenzie make a game and see how it turns out.. the average $10 pledge may result in a better game and it seems like they are really trying to do that."

So, here she actually outright states that it's a totally different thing. This was supposed to be about her daughter learning how to make a game -- and any game that might have resulted from the camp would just have been a prototype of her first work or whatever. The reason for the Kickstarters existence, and what it was all about, was about getting her daughter into a camp project where she could learn about making games.

So, now it's all about a 9 year old hiring artists, etc, to make a refined, polished and great rpg maker game?

How is it possible that there are still so many backers?

It doesn't seem like Kenzie is even involved anymore at this point.

MooMoo

So, here she actually outright states that it's a totally different thing. This was supposed to be about her daughter learning how to make a game -- the game itself wasn't important. The reason for the Kickstarters existence, and what it was all about, was about getting her daughter into a camp project where she could learn about making games.

So, now it's all about a 9 year old hiring artists, etc, to make a refined, polished and great rpg maker game?

How is it possible that there are still so many backers?
I'm convinced Susan is the antichrist. All hail Satan! :p

inm8num2

I retract previous statements about watching shit fly when Susan doesn't deliver any of her stated goals or rewards.

The backers will eat up her excuses and apologize for her profusely. Susan will tether them along about how it's "for the kids and community". The backers will delude themselves further (if that's possible) to avoid admitting that they've wasted their money and been had by a two-bit con artist.

IrishNinja

Someone really should trademark/copyright that name as a video game if Susan hasn't already.

Considering that she's a professional domain-squatter I'm sure that Susan has taken every precaution

yup, she's way ahead of ya'll on that

With just as much ease, TruthAndTrolls.com was purchased for less than $10 and a trademark search revealed the name was available. So several hundred dollars and 30 minutes later, Kenzie’s trademark application for Truth & Trolls was electronically filed.

Zoe

What the hell is Scratch? I noticed it's on a tab on top of the website now. Looks like some random crap thrown on to a page to me.

EDIT: Nevermind, just realized it's that crap JCS was talking about. Though not sure why it deserves its own tab versus another programming language.

Nevermind again. I see it's created by MIT and some other folks. Probably using it to suck up to the MIT guys or something.

Oh come on. Don't start bashing stuff just because you haven't heard of it. It's a great tool to teach children how to think procedurally.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Muku

I like how JCS says its a business account. Okay, but you basically just admitted you are JCS. LOL. Not sure why he hides behind so many accounts. It's a bit ludicrous. Posting from Art Factory doesn't make it anymore legit than posting from privacy advocate. Though it does go to show JCS couldn't leave this KS alone.

With way he talks about Susan, it still remains creepy. But I wonder what services he has bothered to offer? Because, from the KS alone, there is no way I'd call Susan a good communicator. She's superior at avoiding questionable issues from the past, while claiming she has responded to them and there is no reason to continue to bring them up.

Again, my disappointment, outside of the KS screaming shady practices, is that it's obvious Kenzie had NO story idea before this KS. If I was so enthused as she apparently was about making an RPG in RPG Maker, I'd have had at least a basic outline of something planned out. I mean, why would I want to make a game with no at least -- even if generic -- story? I'd have even gone and drawn a little bit. Maybe the hero (or heroine) and done a bit of drawing. But of course as a kid I drew all the time. It's like they didn't even BEGIN to ponder an idea until way after this KS was created. Also leads me to believe, despite Kenzie looking happy recently
(probably because she's just gotten her family a lot of money)
that she really even has much of an interest in it. Real kids with real passions have ways to show it before they get to this point.

EDIT: Just read comments on the other KS. It was funny because the first one was March 9th and I was thinking "Wow, couple days before earthquake." Then I see the comment after. I dunno though, that stuff he posted there seemed better suited for emails rather than comments. But JCS gave me the creepy vibes in the beginning.

And LOL at his newest comment.

For the record, i've been offered to work at the MIT game jam and you have zero information as to why that might be..

I can only imagine he wants to be closer to Susan. I mean, way dude talks about her, geez.

Muku

Read the rest of the comments "Art Factory" has left on other kickstarters. Especially the birthing one where he was the lone $1 pledge.

orly? He only left the one dollar on that one? And he's one to talk about $1 pledges if so..

Dude puts money behind the craziest of things. For a font? Really? Those are KS worthy now? Oi.

EDIT: Ah that one. Yeah I actually looked at what Art Factory was contributing to the other day for some random reason. But it all makes sense now.

Matrix, LOL yeah. Dude is crazy.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
He's going on one of his now classic rants lol I hope it's not true that hes been invited to work for MIT and be around kids... wtf ._.

WTF at his birthing comment.

" perhaps somehow re-create " He wants them to re-create this dudes wife giving birth ummmm

Muku

He's going on one of his now classic rants lol I hope it's not true that hes been invited to work for MIT and be around kids... wtf ._.

WTF at his birthing comment.

" perhaps somehow re-create " He wants them to re-create this dudes wife giving birth ummmm

Fact is, he says so that it's "more widely relevant". Relevant to what?! It's no wonder he didn't want folks looking him up. Though he shouldn't have posted on that account. He's just batshit crazy.

I wonder if he's going to MIT in hope so Adobe folks somehow might be present. Haven't seen him talk about swimming in Adobe products in a long while.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Jac_Solar

Damn it. I said I was done, but this is like that Ex you just can't forget. I WISH I COULD QUIT YOU!!!

I'm still wondering why RC suddenly flipped. Guy was skeptical from almost the beginning and then suddenly flipped.

In his first comment on this project, he mentions his 2 daughters and that they have tried making games with RPG maker. Little later on the 29th he mentions that he and his daughters have/are planning a project of their own. He goes on to post appropriate critical comments about the project.

April 8th, he suddenly flips and now backs the project. Wha?

April 13 Update, Susan states "But Kenzie’s already working with two young ladies (ages 13 & 16) who are busy creating custom art for the game". Want to bet RC's daughters are 13 and 16?

I despise sellouts.

Whoa, that would be very wrong if true -- a kickstarter author inviting a backer to join the project itself? There is surely a conflict of interest there. Perhaps even a hint of bribery. I don't think the other backers would be pleased to learn that the author invited one of the backers to join the project itself.

Muku

Whoa, that would be very wrong if true -- a kickstarter author inviting a backer to join the project itself? There is surely a conflict of interest there. Perhaps even a hint of bribery. I don't think the other backers would be pleased to learn that the author invited one of the backers to join the project itself.

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier today. How RC has changed and I think it was his own kids getting involved. I figured they might be a bit younger, but the 13 and 16 year old might fit the bill. Especially since he mentioned he has daughters in the past. Glad to see someone else pointing it out, because it's total crap and bribery.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

I don't think it matters since she has Kickstarter under her thumb as well. Whether that's through bribes too or them just being complete imbeciles is still to be determined. One thing is clear though: Kickstarter doesn't give a shit about protecting backers from predators.

Kaedryl

Neo Member
I figured they might be a bit younger, but the 13 and 16 year old might fit the bill. Especially since he mentioned he has daughters in the past. Glad to see someone else pointing it out, because it's total crap and bribery.

They look to be 13 and 16 from pictures.

Muku

They look to be 13 and 16 from pictures.

Ah, haven't been to his Facebook, but I assume that is where you are seeing it.

Also, you aren't the only one inm. Finally found the bit that I realize when RC was a guy in comments.

RC

My wife has the same problem; it's just how some people are...

Corey Brin

@RC my comments earlier may have seemed strange because I mistook you as a mother and not a father.

I found it interesting that Corey thought same thing. Just some wording RC used at some point that made me think as such. That was resolved with above on March 30. Currently Page 9 of comments if interested.

Matrix

I must be one of the only ones who could tell RC was a guy from the start based on his kickstarter profile pic. I mean he has an almost Fu Manchu moustache and Ive personally never seen that on a woman lol

It's also 100% clear he's been flipped and some money is most likely coming his way which is why he now has no issues with the funds or higher stretch goals.

Toss a couple thousand at someone possibly and they will stfu.

He was always a skeptic, but lets be honest... anyone who backed this from the start is clearly lacking some common sense.

Jac_Solar

I've been reading RC's comments, and the way he went from pointing out some of the flaws in the KS and how it appears to be a scam, to fully supporting it is quite extreme.

RC said:
@Sandy I am helping Susan Wilson a bit in this particular matter, I am not going to tell you what it is, that is for me to finish the info and get Susan's approval, and her announcinc it. But, I am working on making sure ALL the backers get rewarded for their support and understanding.

Apr. 09, 2013 on 9 Year Old Builds Her First RPG... TRUTH & TROLLS!.

RC said:
What are some of the reasons for my change of position. ----- Susan asked me for help. I know she has been asking people for help. Why would people scamming others be asking for help, not to mention accept help from various venues?

Apr. 08, 2013 on 9 Year Old Builds Her First RPG... TRUTH & TROLLS!.

It seems like he started to change his mind after yet another update that further diluted the project.

RC said:
@Susan - Your recent changes on the Kickstarter Project is very commendable and I am pleased to see the direction this is heading to, so I thought I would help you out. Tons of money for the RPG, not sure how to use it that is beneficial to your backers and Makenzie. --- RPG Development Book, signed by Makenzie All the drawings, sprites, scaps of paper, media stuff Kenzie and others have created.... turn it into a PDF and a Physical copy.

[...........]

Apr. 06, 2013 on 9 Year Old Builds Her First RPG... TRUTH & TROLLS!.

All of his KS comments: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/207347711/commen

I would think that even the most basic of scams is set up in a way that makes the backers feel like they are a part of it, like they are slightly in control, and that their comments and opinions are considered. Why would a scammer not (Appear to.) ask for guidance, and to try and make the backers feel like they can contribute, and so forth?

Consider the previous crowd sourcing projects that Susan has been a part of. Why didn't she plan this one out in further detail? She is obviously familiar with how it works.
Then consider her articles on females and males, and money. Her previous crowd sourcing projects, in light of her current one, seem like trial runs with a particular design.

Why did she add a 10,000$ tier to a, at the time, 829$ project that was already paid for?

Spam celebrities?

Deflect valid criticism against her, and her decisions regarding the Kickstarter itself, not her daughter, with nonsensical accusations of misogyny and hatred of little girls? I'm pretty sure she fully understands how the internet works. She seems to have made a lot of money selling various internet-sites and such. That, at least, gives me the impression that she is probably familiar with how the internet works.

Why did she change the fundamental idea of the Kickstarter, instead of just outlining and detailing the game Kenzie wanted to make?

Why were the costs in one of her budget-plans extremely exaggerated?

Why did she add a stretch goal of 50,000$ when she hasn't justified her current plans for the money, and particularly because she mentioned that she is getting a free computer from DELL, and free tutoring from MIT?

Why is she already monetizing her daughters game? The 200$ tiers for names on items and a 8x10 color print are ludicrous. Absurd.

And, in spite of all that, it still doesn't seem like Kenzie is remotely interested in the project -- or has anything to do with it, outside of being referenced from time to time in the updates. Why isn't there a bunch of pictures with her designs on the site? Why are there just screenshots of the default RPG maker assets? Why is the story seemingly inspired from the Kickstarter itself, and not one of Kenzies stories, since the Kickstarter itself was made to support just that? Why didn't the project start out with pictures, stories, and some details about the game she wants to make?

How can anyone argue that this is worthy of investment? Kenzie doesn't even seem to be interested..

inm8num2

RC is a real success story in this campaign. He went from hateful, lying troll to a true believer in the power of keeping up. ;)

I'm still serious about some of us making our own game in response to Susan. Release it at the same time and put it on her "creative commons" or whatever it's called bullshit site.

Muku

I must be one of the only ones who could tell RC was a guy from the start based on his kickstarter profile pic. I mean he has an almost Fu Manchu moustache and Ive personally never seen that on a woman lol.

I found the image to be small. I didn't bother looking at profile or looking up more at RC, because there was really no reason to. It seemed like he had come to his senses and was questioning it. I didn't see it as a fu manchu but rather some shadows from just looking at the comment pictures. It wasn't until Corey apologized I'd even bother going to RC's profile page to see. Then I felt bad for referring to RC as a she here. :(

I'm still serious about some of us making our own game in response to Susan. Release it at the same time and put it on her "creative commons" or whatever it's called bullshit site.

We totally should. It could be the worst, scraped together game ever and still probably fair better. We could even have the story of a PRINCESS coming and ATTACKING AND TURNING TROLLS TO STONE. Our young troll hero wonders why a human would come and cause such destruction to his kind. Yadda yadda.. LOL basically opposite of Kenzie's game, 'cept you see it from the troll perspective. As they're the good guys.

Bollocks

We totally should. It could be the worst, scraped together game ever and still probably fair better. We could even have the story of a PRINCESS coming and ATTACKING AND TURNING TROLLS TO STONE. Our young troll hero wonders why a human would come and cause such destruction to his kind. Yadda yadda.. LOL basically opposite of Kenzie's game, 'cept you see it from the troll perspective. As they're the good guys.

Dude, I'm totally up for this, but I think to have the best effect it must be done before the kickstarter ends, once it's through you'll likely never hear from her again.
I' like to call this game M.O.M. (Mean older mother): The Scam but I don't know what the gameplay should be about, sure you have to scam as many people as possible, send @replies and buy domains but gameplay wise how to package this mini games.

But in all seriousness if I were the CEO of rpgmaker I would write an open letter to her and offer her free training if she dropped the KS just to call her out on her bs. I'm sure she'll take the free lessons because it's her daughters dream :D

Ken

What's the cheapest place to get RPG Maker? It's $70 on Steam and I wanted to re-sub to Giant Bomb this month. @_@

Muku

I' like to call this game M.O.M. (Mean older mother): The Scam but I don't know what the gameplay should be about, sure you have to scam as many people as possible, send @replies and buy domains but gameplay wise how to package this mini games.

LOL so awesome.

You know what I don't get? WHY is she already deciding how to monopolize her daughters game? Who is going to buy a 9 year olds first game to be honest? Shouldn't she put it out there as free to advertise that kids can do it and promote their website? Obviously this isn't about her daughter OR the website. It's about all those little $$$ lining up. DRM free or not, this shouldn't even have been something a 9 year old considers FOR THEIR FIRST GAME.

This thing has gotten more comical and sad at the same time.

I am a bit late to this and have spent a lot of time reading. It is hard to know where it is all at because of the way the the whole 'project' has changed so many times.

I am gobsmacked. I don't know whether to laugh, cry or punch a hole in the wall. Is Susan really that good at this, or is there a world of fools wanting to be parted from their money?

The level of manipulation using: a nine year old, a female nine year old at that, to pull at peoples' emotions.

To think that there are legitimate people out there that probably do not get any where near the amount of money she has via Kickstarter.

Is it wishful thinking to hope that every one will pull their money at the eleventh hour?

Sera O

Banned
This is starting to remind me of that story about the stone soup. You know, that one where this hungry wanderer shows up with a pot full of water and a rock. Tells people he's making stone soup and it's going to be awesome, and being gullible but curious about it, they start showing up with stuff to put into the pot.

It's kind of a fascinating in a way how this is playing out - both as a social experiment and as a really humongous fuck-up on Kickstarter's part. All these people have become stakeholders in this ill-defined thing, whether it's because it hit a nerve, kids are omg so precious, boys drool, Susan brought them in on it, or they are slightly crazy and apparently in love with her/her kid/Adobe's wonderful products.

What a trainwreck - but I now understand our current state a bit more. Guys, read Griftopia if you enjoy these feelings of impotence and indignation. This is a small-time shell game but the frame of mind needed is pretty similar.

Bollocks

It's about all those little $$$ lining up.

At no point was this ever about her daughter and her dream. It was always about the money. One could argue ok, she scammed people before, she's done domain squatting, this time it's legit. NOPE, she pulls the same stunt again, using children as bait, registering truth and trolls just to cash in as much as possible.
I mean where is Anonymous when you need them.

Muku

JCS should just stop. For real.

also, for the record, i was working at apple computer supporting iphone with tech support on the day android was announced. ... and i was working on apple2 in 1981 when they first were issued..before that we programmed TSR-80's which were really rockstars then..

The hell does this have ANYTHING to do with Kenzie's project? Nevermind the rest of the crazy talk.. which makes my head spin.

EDIT: And he has since posted an even battier one, if that is somehow possible. /facepalm

Okay, now it's just bad. Is he jumping off the deep end of the pool again?

any alleged backer than intends to harass.. i swear to you that you will be held up as reasons central bank after are lying to you. . xo the demons, refuse to release the truth. as you can see. only the sweet comes from humanity
yes sweetheat i wish you are my wife. best friend. xxxxxo

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it matters since she has Kickstarter under her thumb as well. Whether that's through bribes too or them just being complete imbeciles is still to be determined. One thing is clear though: Kickstarter doesn't give a shit about protecting backers from predators.
The site doesn't give a crap about following their own rules guidelines, so why should they care about backers? Disgusting all around.

The only thing we can do is making sure never to use the site anymore. I, for one, won't.

Jac_Solar

JCS should just stop. For real.

The hell does this have ANYTHING to do with Kenzie's project? Nevermind the rest of the crazy talk.. which makes my head spin.

EDIT: And he has since posted an even battier one, if that is somehow possible. /facepalm

Okay, now it's just bad. Is he jumping off the deep end of the pool again?

A lot of his comments seem way too exaggerated and ridiculous at times to be real. He's probably someone affiliated with the KS.

I mean, it wouldn't be that difficult -- just write down your thoughts and ideas directly instead of "translating" them into text, and then throw in a couple of semi-irrelevant concepts, or words.

But.. I'm not sure why anyone would do that.

Jac_Solar

I want to see more tweets to Phillip Tan. We can't attack this kickstarter from the front, lets get it from the back.

He responded to another Tweet, confirming that he is indeed mentoring her. But, he's not doing anything wrong here. He's just offering to mentor someone. But will Susan cancel the sessions for whatever reason beforehand?

According to Susan, she will be mentored for 1 week in June. The game is supposed to come out in July though, so I wonder if the mentoring will benefit the game -- it should be, more or less, complete at that point. Well, at least the design, systems and content.

Christian S. J ‏@JacSolar 14t
@djphiliptan Is it true that you will offer "Kenzie" free tutoring lessons for a week?

Philip Tan ‏@djphiliptan 14t
@JacSolar Mentoring, yes. It's her game, not mine.

wilflare

wondering whether all these KS stuff have caused some teams not to have their games on KS...
one example thus far is Starbound

EDIT: whether this saga has turned some teams away from KS. said teams will either look for other KS-esque sites or their own.
www.playstarbound.com/store/ is one example (not sure if this affected them.. or why they chose not to use KS)

What do you mean? I am pretty sure that the teams that would use kickstarter would do so anyway. It's just too good of a way to potentially get funding

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That this isnt even about sending a girl to a camp anymore and is just a "money for development by a 9-year old" that doesnt exactly need a fucking living wage, office rental or anything beyond the fucking laptop she's been given free and a copy of RPG Maker, but is still going, just goes to show what total jokes and unethical sharks the Kickstarter crew are.

They'll crash and burn this crowdfunding concept all because theyre too greedy and too lazy to not police it properly so its not just internet begging: NO CONSEQUENCES.

Top Bottom