• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
wondering whether all these KS stuff have caused some teams not to have their games on KS...
one example thus far is Starbound

While I am in no way a big team or developer, it did help influence me to go with Indiegogo. This is in part of personal standards and morals, and in part the negative light Kickstarter might currently shine for this on some people.

We should band together to make an RPGmaker game and dedicate it to Susan.

I have no idea how Kenzie is going to get this game out by July. I've done stuff with RPGmaker and working 4 hours a night it still took me all summer to make a game with it. And it had crap balancing

Dusk Golem

We should band together to make an RPGmaker game and dedicate it to Susan.

I have no idea how Kenzie is going to get this game out by July. I've done stuff with RPGmaker and working 4 hours a night it still took me all summer to make a game with it. And it had crap balancing

I don't think giving her more attention will help anything. In my opinion, a much better option would just be to make good games with RPG Maker, which is something I'm trying to do.

RPG Maker is a low-entry tool, but in the right hands as with any tool, you can do great things with it. It cuts a lot of time due partially to it's engine settings and ease-of-use, though to unlock its full potential it is best to know some Ruby programming and aim to treat it like an official game, and try and work on it from the ground up with art and assets.

I think the best option is to instead make something that you enjoy, and make it better than this game will turn out. I would love a NeoGAF collab project, and RPG Maker might be a good start due to its ease of use, but I think it would be much better to make something with some direction we all could enjoy and make out of passion of games rather than the frustration over this situation.

...Now I hope there will be a NeoGAF RPG Maker collab game.

wilflare

I did try making my own game with RPG Maker (for a contest). was a pretty fun experience. told myself I would go more in-depth come summer holidays.

0xCA2

I really think this could make for a good indie RPG.

Guys, pool your resources!

EDIT: I just saw your post above. I see your point, making an RPG about her would just make things worse and give her more attention. A collaborative GAF RPG Maker project would be interesting, though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
While I am in no way a big team or developer, it did help influence me to go with Indiegogo. This is in part of personal standards and morals, and in part the negative light Kickstarter might currently shine for this on some people.
...But she's scammed people on indiegogo too as per the OP...

Dusk Golem

...But she's scammed people on indiegogo too as per the OP...

Yes, but Indiegogo has also responded to reports of scamming, which the ones mentioned were not reported until after the campaigns were over and done with, and didn't have media attention like this one has. Would Indiegogo react the same way under pressure? I am not sure, but they have shown to respond in the past to their users concerns as opposed to just swiping it under the rug.

And there isn't a huge negative light on Indiegogo right now which makes it unappealing. Kickstarter is bigger, but the funding goals we're going for aren't that high, so just fine with it.

Ken

I don't think giving her more attention will help anything. In my opinion, a much better option would just be to make good games with RPG Maker, which is something I'm trying to do.

RPG Maker is a low-entry tool, but in the right hands as with any tool, you can do great things with it. It cuts a lot of time due partially to it's engine settings and ease-of-use, though to unlock its full potential it is best to know some Ruby programming and aim to treat it like an official game, and try and work on it from the ground up with art and assets.

I think the best option is to instead make something that you enjoy, and make it better than this game will turn out. I would love a NeoGAF collab project, and RPG Maker might be a good start due to its ease of use, but I think it would be much better to make something with some direction we all could enjoy and make out of passion of games rather than the frustration over this situation.

...Now I hope there will be a NeoGAF RPG Maker collab game.

Think you sold me on RPG Maker. Will keep an eye out on a Steam sale for it.

wilflare

Nope. It's pretty much a circle jerk of hatred and loathing now, while we analyze every update that goes live because that's all we can do

would trying to make this go viral.. via twitter etc help?
quite curious as to what sites like Penny Arcade, RPS have not touched on this yet.

Think you sold me on RPG Maker. Will keep an eye out on a Steam sale for it.

there was a Steam sale on it about a month or so ago

Nope. It's pretty much a circle jerk of hatred and loathing now, while we analyze every update that goes live because that's all we can do

lessons learned (weeks ago):
1) kickstarter's sleazy
2) susan wilson's sleazy
3) there's a sucker born every minute...

analyzing updates is just wasting time better spent doing just about anything else. let it go, kids :) ...

Kaedryl

Neo Member
The Art Factory said:
any alleged backer than intends to harass.. i swear to you that you will be held up as reasons central bank after are lying to you. . xo the demons, refuse to release the truth. as you can see. only the sweet comes from humanity
yes sweetheat i wish you are my wife. best friend. xxxxxo

Ok, I think the bounds of comfort have been crossed.

Zertez

I think this story will keep giving a lot of entertainment over the next several months. There is more than enough blame to go around, but in the end the people who let her get away with the scam did little to stop it, so if they want to put their trust and money into the project that is their choice.

People did their best to expose the possibility of the project being a scam, but it was up to the backers, media, and KS if they wanted to stand up for the project. Im looking forward to seeing the direction the project will take. It will probably have more twists and lies than any soap opera on tv. In a way I dont want to waste any more time reading updates and new lies, but it is hard to turn away from a train wreck that is about to happen.

Alexios

So wait they can delete comments too? Mine is gone... I didn't have any bad words or anything for KS themselves to censor it...

Not just mine either because that art whatever guy looks like he's constantly talking to himself, over and over with no replies...

Kaedryl

Neo Member
Yep. Kickstarter has decided to baby this project, so any negative comments are being erased as fast as they can. Might as well just sit back and let this one go.

Muku

So wait they can delete comments too? Mine is gone... I didn't have any bad words or anything for KS themselves to censor it...

Not just mine either because that art whatever guy looks like he's constantly talking to himself, over and over with no replies...

Well, your comments may be gone, but I don't put it past JCS to talk to himself. He's done it before in comments...

And yeah. If they deem you are being a threat to the KS or whatever they want they can remove your posts and limit your activity. Ask Corey Brin and some others that were temp banned from posting for a while. But the one person that threw down the F-bomb, JCS, didn't get his post removed. Everyone else was just pointing out Susan's other "projects" that failed.

Alexios

Yikes... I don't think I want to kickstart anything else... It's one thing to I guess ignore something and leave it up to people but to actively aid them further in this way is shitty...

Just saw that they e-mailed me about it too, apparently I was being abusive. Yeah, no. I think kickstarter just managed to piss me off enough to investigate alternative ways of supporting a given project...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
GOOD GOD AT JOSEPH'S NEW COMMENTS...

i'm just wtf I don't even wut I cant even wut

someone help me here :(

Also f you Kickstarter, done with your site for good.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes... I don't think I want to kickstart anything else... It's one thing to I guess ignore something and leave it up to people but to actively aid them further in this way is shitty...

Just saw that they e-mailed me about it too, apparently I was being abusive. Yeah, no. I think kickstarter just managed to piss me off enough to investigate alternative ways of supporting a given project...
Haha, beautiful. You post a comment questioning the project and suddenly you're being abusive.

Fuck that site. Fuck them. Those enablers are no better than the scammer herself.

GOOD GOD AT JOSEPH'S NEW COMMENTS...

i'm just wtf I don't even wut I cant even wut

someone help me here :(

Also f you Kickstarter, done with your site for good.
Can you post them please?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just way too much crazy to copy and paste. I don't want to shit up GAF with his words any longer. If someone else wants to thats cool though.

You can easily read his comments here if you want, he's the art factory http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lding-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w/comments
mainly the protesters are men, and misogynist.. and please.. protest a smart erudite comment and prove this truth wrong.. show some real balls .. but in fact the men trolls posting for their $1.. have very little actual depth.. they can argue but will not actually work or produce or benefit or help.. trolls...
[...]
the world has supported this project precisely because this project was met by a bunch of misogynist men.. the repeat detractors who post their repeated comments so often just strengthen the silent supporters.
I'd say he lost it, but that would imply he wasn't crazy before, which he was. Extremely so. That guy is as nutty as squirrel poo.

I'd say he lost it, but that would imply he wasn't crazy before, which he was. Extremely so. That guy is as nutty as squirrel poo.

You guys are totally missing the point. In reality Joseph is actually McKenzie's dad, who is roleplaying The Nutty Wizard, a character that will also be in the game as Alex' funny sidekick. In Alex' battle against the Trolls, the Nutty Wizard will be boring the hell out of them by chanting weird esoteric nonsense, so that they stay away from the Comments Cave, a place where Trolls like to reside and pester innocent gullible bystanders.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Yep. Not only are they allowing this scam, they're actively defending it by removing comments that would allow backers to see the truth. When this is over and successful I will no longer be using Kickstarter.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just way too much crazy to copy and paste. I don't want to shit up GAF with his words any longer. If someone else wants to thats cool though.

You can easily read his comments here if you want, he's the art factory http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lding-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w/comments

He's batshit insane.

I've always suspected that he's really Christian Wilson, Susan's husband.

Maybe he's the "stay at home dad" because he has a mental or personality disorder and this is all he has right now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are totally missing the point. In reality Joseph is actually McKenzie's dad, who is roleplaying The Nutty Wizard, a character that will also be in the game as Alex' funny sidekick. In Alex' battle against the Trolls, the Nutty Wizard will be boring the hell out of them by chanting weird esoteric nonsense, so that they stay away from the Comments Cave, a place where Trolls like to reside and pester innocent gullible bystanders.
In 5 minutes you developed a story miles better than whatever Susan could ever create. Congratulations!

Dunan

He's batshit insane.

I've always suspected that he's really Christian Wilson, Susan's husband.

Maybe he's the "stay at home dad" because he has a mental or personality disorder and this is all he has right now.

I think he's a fictional creation of Susan's, designed to make girls and women look more sane and grounded and thus deserving of gender-based donations.

Goon Boon

Banned
Maybe this needs a new thread, one with a title that would get the handful of games journalists who read GAF to respond. Or at least a new thread title. Any ideas? Right now my idea is "X,XX,XXX endorse scam, refuse to followup story"

Edit - Going to list potential candidates (both games journalism and companies) in this post for future reference

Kotaku (MIKE FAHEY) - http://kotaku.com/internet-rallies-against-kickstarter-for-nine-year-old-459542190

Kickstarter for refusing to take down the kickstarter after heavy amounts of proof of scam starting coming out.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this needs a new thread, one with a title that would get the handful of games journalists who read GAF to respond. Or at least a new thread title. Any ideas? Right now my idea is "X,XX,XXX endorse scam, refuse to followup story"

Edit - Going to list potential candidates (both games journalism and companies) in this post for future reference
Nah, I don't think anything good can come from that. They already know about this thread, and in fact they have already run a story about it. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

What we have to do from now on is to avoid those sites that support scams such as this. I'll be doing my part.

Goon Boon

Banned
Nah, I don't think anything good can come from that. They already know about this thread, and in fact they have already run a story about it. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

What we have to do from now on is to avoid those sites that support scams such as this. I'll be doing my part.

I want to make a new thread so people know that these sites either endorsed a scam or are too lazy to followup a story, or just refuse to report on it at all. Kotaku followed up on the original story and scam accusations in a way that without followup implies that the kickstarter is legit, Penny-Arcade essentially just linked to the kotaku article and said SHAME ON YOU GAMERS, Destructoid and others linked to it once as a feel good filler story and refuse/fail to followup.

Polygon had a story up too, but even they took it down after people accused them of reporting on a scam (they claim it was a draft version they mistakenly published, which can't be proven/disproven) which is better than the others, but they still haven't actually reported it on after that.

Gaming journalism should have some level of standards for fucks sake.

Alexios

Lol, silly Kickstarter...

So after I responded to their claim that I was being abusive and that's why my comment was deleted, by essentially telling them that is an unfounded accusation, that I no longer wish to be contacted by them ever again and how I'll be looking for alternative ways to support the developers of projects I'm interested in and even delete my account once the projects I've already backed are delivered, suddenly my already deleted comment became bad enough for my account to be suspended (for which I got another e-mail from them to let me know to which I responded by saying I already asked them to stop harassing me with unfounded accusations once, and to please comply). Oh yeah, they also said I was a jerk in that last one, how professional, that attitude sure wins me over so that I'll change my decision that sparked that kind of response on their part...

tafer

I want to make a new thread so people know that these sites either endorsed a scam or are too lazy to followup a story, or just refuse to report on it at all. Kotaku followed up on the original story and scam accusations in a way that without followup implies that the kickstarter is legit, Penny-Arcade essentially just linked to the kotaku article and said SHAME ON YOU GAMERS, Destructoid and others linked to it once as a feel good filler story and refuse/fail to followup.

Polygon had a story up too, but even they took it down after people accused them of reporting on a scam (they claim it was a draft version they mistakenly published, which can't be proven/disproven) which is better than the others, but they still haven't actually reported it on after that.

That's a bad idea in my opinion. Not only because it sounds a little bit desperate at this point, but also because you are suggesting that game "journalist" have (or had) standards.

Just repeat after me: "lol game journalism". Oh, and wait for the follow up of this story, it'll probably be extremely interesting.

Alexios

I wouldn't make a new thread, just clean this one up, providing the information clearer and maybe less huge and convoluted imaging and what not.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily fault Dell or any other company donating, clearly they too are falling for the scam in an attempt to market themselves.

Muku

Alex, wow at how Kickstarter has responded to you. Apparently you asking them to no longer contact you made them feel threatened, so they had to show you who was in charge. You know, I'd just cancel the offerings you have up now, then contact those that you backed to find alternative methods because Kickstarter can no longer be trusted. It's no longer worth giving Kickstarter the time of day, or money, for this crap. Now they have to also flex their muscles to show you who THE MAN is. Bravo Kickstarter, bravo. You've managed to alienate so many folks with this one sham. I hope it makes you proud.

Now I get to go read the comments section. With JCS freaking eye critting walls of text. Jesus. Someone should get this dude a Return key.

EDIT: Hey guys, if this ends up a total failure, can we quote JCS on it?

If this project is a fraud.. then when Susan posts an FU from the bahamas, i will personally pay for a dinner party in san francisco to celebrate the trolls correct assumption and i will eat all my words of hope that the 9 year old girl was going to make a computer game..

Though to be fair, I think he should fly all the "trolls" from their respective locations for this dinner as well.

Kaedryl

Neo Member
Lol, silly Kickstarter...

So after I responded to their claim that I was being abusive and that's why my comment was deleted, by essentially telling them that is an unfounded accusation, that I no longer wish to be contacted by them ever again and how I'll be looking for alternative ways to support the developers of projects I'm interested in and even delete my account once the projects I've already backed are delivered, suddenly my already deleted comment became bad enough for my account to be suspended (for which I got another e-mail from them to let me know to which I responded by saying I already asked them to stop harassing me with unfounded accusations once, and to please comply). Oh yeah, they also said I was a jerk in that last one, how professional, that attitude sure wins me over so that I'll change my decision that sparked that kind of response on their part...

Can you post what they said exactly?

Alexios

Here.

Edit: oh, my bad guys, I was reading the email wrong, they go newest to oldest (wtf) so I was suspended with the first one, then I responded to them, then they replied to me again for no reason when I asked them not to.

Sorry for misleading you there, I honestly got the order mixed up since my email was in the middle anyway and I didn't really read their first one carefully. I only just noticed the time shows it's newest to oldest.

Anyway, doesn't make them any more right about my supposedly abusive comment or how they delete everybody's comments but leave pages upon pages of art's drivel, obvious multiple accounts and all.

And it seems the jerk bit is some kind of standard response to everything.

By the way they now seriously intend to sell a game made by a kid in a few months time in order to only give it to backers of $10 and up? I'll cross my fingers for Valve to not be scammed into accepting it on Steam...

And yeah I don't have any pledges atm, Torment ended and Telepath Tactics my pledge probably won't go through when it ends because of bank issues (was bought out, need to sort myself with a new debit card).

Muku

Here.

Edit: oh, my bad guys, I was reading the email wrong, they go newest to oldest (wtf) so I was suspended with the first one, then I responded to them, then they replied to me again for no reason when I asked them not to.

Sorry for misleading you there, I honestly got the order mixed up since my email was in the middle anyway and I didn't really read their first one carefully. I only just noticed the time shows it's newest to oldest.

Anyway, doesn't make them any more right about my supposedly abusive comment or how they delete everybody's comments but leave pages upon pages of art's drivel, obvious multiple accounts and all.

And it seems the jerk bit is some kind of standard response to everything.

By the way they now seriously intend to sell a game made by a kid in a few months time in order to only give it to backers of $10 and up? I'll cross my fingers for Valve to not be scammed into accepting it on Steam...

And yeah I don't have any pledges atm, Torment ended and Telepath Tactics my pledge probably won't go through when it ends because of bank issues (was bought out, need to sort myself with a new debit card).

Ah okay, well that makes sense. Because pretty sure with the crew on there got temp banned before they had their posts removed and privs disabled for a bit at same time. But in any case, love their copypasta. Guess it's easier just to have the KS guys be your own personal army and delete stuff than actually have to tackle those questions.

EDIT: It's obvious they want to remain oblivious to everything. Including previous KS ventures that failed and seemed fishy. Guess it's easier to close your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears than question anything. Free $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

EDIT: Hey guys, if this ends up a total failure, can we quote JCS on it?

Though to be fair, I think he should fly all the "trolls" from their respective locations for this dinner as well.

I don't think he can lose that bet really. The Wilson family will provide an (awful) game, and backers will feel satisfied, even if they donated $23K to a "project" that never needed a dime of it. They will likely even go: "See how we were right about this project all along? The game is there, this proves Susan isn't a scammer." And we will all facepalm.

Muku

I don't think he can lose that bet really. The Wilson family will provide an (awful) game, and backers will feel satisfied, even if they donated $23K to a "project" that never needed a dime of it. They will likely even go: "See how we were right about this project all along? The game is there, this proves Susan isn't a scammer." And we will all facepalm.

Hell, Susan could post "HI FROM THE BAHAMAS!!!" and literally be there and her supporters would all go "Oh golly that's so nice she's there with her family, they look so happy." Whether she was using their money to do so or not, they seem so far out there they wouldn't care. Man, I wish all these folks with all this money and nothing to do with it would contact me. I know of wonderful things to spend it on.
First on my list? 64DD.

Truth & Trolls?

What?

Has there ever been a Kickstarter campaign that has changed even nearly as much from its original pitch?

The truth is that Susan is the troll, and the people she's trolled are the backers, as well as the online gaming community at large.

inm8num2

Truth & Trolls?

What?

Has there ever been a Kickstarter campaign that has changed even nearly as much from its original pitch?

The truth is that Susan is the troll, and the people she's trolled are the backers, as well as the online gaming community at large.

Hater! Liar! Troll! Naysayer! Kid-hater! Dream-crusher!

Just checked and The Art Factor (if that is his real name) is absolutely bananas. I shake my head is quiet pity.

Hell, Susan could post "HI FROM THE BAHAMAS!!!" and literally be there and her supporters would all go "Oh golly that's so nice she's there with her family, they look so happy." Whether she was using their money to do so or not, they seem so far out there they wouldn't care. Man, I wish all these folks with all this money and nothing to do with it would contact me. I know of wonderful things to spend it on.
First on my list? 64DD.

It will probably be IN the game, just to rub it in: when Alex defeats the trolls, and rescues her family, they will take all their money and travel to the Bahamas.

And the backers will find it the perfect ending of a perfect game.

And then, when they find out that Shusan (shady + Susan) and family did actually go to the Bahamas (at their expense, but who cares), they will be like: "Oh, wow! What a fortunate turn of events! This whole thing has become bigger than just the game. So glad and proud I collaborated.". And JCS/The Art Factory/privacy advocate will write a philosophical treaty that makes no sense at all on it.

Shusan, if you're reading this, and plan on using it: you can if you give me one of those "exclusive" and "hard to get" $200 in game weapons with my name on it.

Muku, you should really go for it. Start a project about whatever, as long as it says you're a 9yo girl wanting to do something the general public thinks is boys stuff. Then just change it half way through so that it turns out you will be needing a 64DD for it.

Muku

inm: That's because that's Joseph Cecil Smith. That dude has god knows how many accounts. Like foobarry says below, his accounts that we know of are Joseph Cecil Smith (since deleted), privacy advocate, and The Art Factory. He can't fool folks for long with that horrendous writing style. Funny HumanGames has called him out on his stuff though. JCS has been inciting more irritation than anything recently. I swear, JCS is there to bait people like HG said.

It will probably be IN the game, just to rub it in: when Alex defeats the trolls, and rescues her family, they will take all their money and travel to the Bahamas.

And the backers will find it the perfect ending of a perfect game.

And then, when they find out that Shusan (shady + Susan) and family did actually go to the Bahamas (at their expense, but who cares), they will be like: "Oh, wow! What a fortunate turn of events! This whole thing has become bigger than just the game. So glad and proud I collaborated.". And JCS/The Art Factory/privacy advocate will write a philosophical treaty that makes no sense at all on it.

Shusan, if you're reading this, and plan on using it: you can if you give me one of those "exclusive" and "hard to get" $200 in game weapons with my name on it.

Muku, you should really go for it. Start a project about whatever, as long as it says you're a 9yo girl wanting to do something the general public thinks is boys stuff. Then just change it half way through so that it turns out you will be needing a 64DD for it.

You know, they probably would throw that in the game. I hope she reads this and does it. And that we really find out she went too. Backers, including JCS, would just be like THAT IS WONDERFUL YOU DESERVE IT AFTER ALL THAT WORK ON THE GAME. Which we know won't really be all that much considering the time frame the "game" is set to release. And JCS can write about anything. Whether folks read it at this point is a different story. I've started skimming his shit, because it's god awful to read and just plain bait.

Hm, well I am female, so that's one less lie to tell. I was a 9 year old once. If this was when I was a kid, I'd more easily pulled off the "OMG BOYS SAY I CANT PLAY VIDYA GAMEZ, PLEASE HELP ME BUY A (insert system here) AND I WILL PROVE THEM WRONG." In end, depend on amount acquired, I could get a 64DD, take a vacation, and maybe get a new laptop. I mean hell, all these folks seem to have money spilling out of their pockets with no where to go but to help a 9 yo.
My problem is the idea that getting ONE GIRL into this, even if a website helps others but since mom said she isn't spending the backers money on it can't really count, isn't helping the whole STEM thing or anything. I need rich gullible friends. ;P

Top Bottom