• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millions of Gmail Hotmail and Yahoo email account details stolen says security expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkramz

Tens of millions of usernames and passwords for Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo email accounts have been hacked and details traded online, according to a security expert.

Data from around 97 million accounts have been stolen as part of a huge cyber attack that is thought to affect around 272.3 million users worldwide, said Alex Holden, founder and chief information security officer of Hold Security.

In one of the biggest data breaches in years, the information is being traded in Russia’s criminal underworld for next to nothing, it has been claimed.

It is thought that credentials from around 40 million Yahoo Mail accounts, 33 million Hotmail accounts and 24 million Gmail accounts have been accessed.
But the majority of the usernames stolen are from Russia’s most popular email service Mail.ru

A Microsoft spokesman said stolen online credentials was an unfortunate reality. ‘Microsoft has security measures in place to detect account compromise and requires additional information to verify the account owner and help them regain sole access.’

Yahoo and Google did not respond to requests for comment.

A Mail.ru spokeswoman said it was checking whether the email combinations match those still actively in use.

Hack my penis pics if old.

Source

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Eh, this could mean any number of things.

Fat4all

Banned
At this point, everyone's personal information should be posted online, but the only way you'll be able to verify anything is to go into an internet store and sign for it in person.

Like a DMV for the internet.

Bring in three different identifications to sign up for Netflix.

daveo42

Banned
My Yahoo account is a wasteland of spam and ads. I haven't used that for anything even remotely sensitive or useful in several years.
I think I have a Hotmail account for spam as well?
Gmail has 2-step implemented there, so I'm fine unless they somehow can get around that.

Az987

all good things
Is this the story about some Russian kid handing it over to a security firm for free but only if they liked his Facebook page?

JordanN

Banned
What do i do now

Back to using pigeons.

RQoR4WM.jpg

Changed my password and made sure my two-step was a still a thing. (It is.)

Any way we can find out if our data personally was taken yet?

cameron

Data from around 97 million accounts have been stolen as part of a huge cyber attack that is thought to affect around 272.3 million users worldwide, said Alex Holden, founder and chief information security officer of Hold Security.
What kind of yuge cyber attack? Malware and phishing?

Futureman

is this a reliable source? The ad banner covers up their name so they don't know how to code a website, not sure if I trust this news that isn't reported anywhere else.

Dishwalla

Banned
Well my Gmail hasn't had a device log into it that it doesn't recognize, just checked and the only devices that have signed on recently are my laptop and phone. But I do have 2 step verification on, so theoretically I would be notified if someone did try and access my account.

Linkyn

Meh. They can't really do anything unless they get to my university mail, as well. At any rate, changed the password, just for good measure.

daveo42

Banned
I think I'll let me yahoo account die at this point if it's been breached. The password reset process is a nightmare if you ever linked it to AT&T's service. Change a password and it changes on one end but not the other. Constant redirects for password changes that go nowhere. I'd love nothing more than to nuke that account and everything attached to.

KingBroly

Banned
I think I have 2-step on my Hotmail account...dunno about Gmail, since I barely use it.

I don't really wanna change my Hotmail password again, since I just changed it a month ago.

Everyone should know that these hacking groups have more passwords and logins than they have time to use. Security online will always be paper thin and changing your password or freaking out about fraud purchases doesn't make any sense.

The cost of fraud is already factored into the things you buy. It's basically like shoplifting on a bigger scale now. The retailers, banks and credit card companies plan to lose such amount due to fraud and make it up in fees or interest or higher cost of goods.

There's no point freaking out about this stuff.

Well....shit

If I use the same email + password combo for every single site and service I'm registered on, does that mean I should change all of them?

MIMIC

Banned
Considering that I wasn't even able to get into MY OWN FUCKING ACCOUNT when I logged into a computer at Kinkos, hopefully it can keep someone else out.

Nowise10

Huh. Yesterday in my Hotmail email I received an email from GameStop saying my password was successfully changed. But that was the only email, not previous one saying to confirm a new password, or to click a new link to set a new password. just the email saying It was changed successfully.

Snooped around in my "Deleted" emails to see if something fishy was going on, and an email was deleted from my inbox like 30 minutes prior to the GameStop one, from an unknown sender, with no subject and no contents.

Either way I changed my password, I don't know what happened or went on. I have two-step on so I didn't really think someone got into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom