• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millions of Gmail Hotmail and Yahoo email account details stolen says security expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Two step won't help if you also use that password on other sites. It'll just help keep them out of your gmail

Hopefully the damn thing is an hash steal, not a clear password steal.

May be a keylogger network thing, though.

A few days ago someone broke into my Mojang and Netflix accounts. I was worried about the Netflix one since they don't really have anything other than the password to protect the account (not even email verification anymore) but they didn't change my email so it was all good. They couldn't get past the security questions on Mojang (I use pretty unknown information from myself I never reveal online).

Guess I'll finally have to start using a password manager.

entremet

You shouldn't even be doing that in the first place. Sit down, educate yourself on password managers and set aside 1-2 hours to then change all of your passwords to a unique one for each site.

Baffling how many people still don't use them.

It is baffling.

We have threads like these every two months or so.

Learn 2 Internet, folks. If you hate password managers at least come up with a system

Relevant:

password_strength.png

PSA: Ancient Aliens: FEEL THE BERN:

Google and Microsoft accounts (Gmail and Hotmail) both offer 2-factor authentication. You have no excuse if your accounts with those companies get hacked. Go activate it now if you haven't.

Woffls

Oh, could this explain why I sent myself an email the other day with a dodgy link in it? Luckily I had changed my password a couple of months ago so I think my other accounts are safe.

Lima

Also use your webbrowser in a VM or sandbox.

Sandboxie is a great little tool and it's free for home use. Keeps your web browser in a sandbox so even if you visit wonky sites with ads that want to get on your harddrive or in your registry the program will block it.

Sifl

I put my password in my iphone around 3 years ago and haven't logged in once since, so I forgot my password. How do I get in contact with them so they can tell me what it is?

Change your way of thinking... Avoid password and change for Passphrase when creating a password. Example: MyCatNameIsFluffy247!HowCute! But each site NEED to have its own passphrase.

But the best approach still is use a password manager like lastpass + 2nd factor authentication (on my case I use Lastpass + Yubikey)
https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/

Which is a shame when you encounter a site that limits the length of a password to 8 or less characters.

Maximus P

Just changed my password on Hotmail. Looking at recent activity can be scary.....

Security challenge Today United Kingdom

Successful sign-in Today United Kingdom

Successful sign-in Yesterday United Kingdom

Incorrect password entered China

Successful sign-in United Kingdom

Incorrect password entered Korea

fuzzyset

For all you getting on the password manager train, at least for LastPass, look into getting the paid version. This let's you use the full mobile version so you can still log into sites when on your phone. Otherwise you'll need a computer nearby to lookup your password (unless you somehow memorize all of them :O).

jmdajr

Just changed my password on Hotmail. Looking at recent activity can be scary.....

Where can you search this history?

edit: found it.
wtf Israel and Italy.

At least my password is strong style.

jmdajr

That's interesting. In the past month I had two attempts from China and one from Indonesia.

Yeah. I never fucking check! Damn.

Like I said at least my password was strong and I had two step authentication, but that seemed mostly to work with Microsoft Account purchases. Now I have that APP on the phone that you click to approve sign ins, even on the Xbox.

Overall, have never noticed anything, except some funny junk mail here and there.

I also have two step on yahoo, gmail, facebook, twitter, and amazon.

The worst is when you register on a website and then they send you a welcome e-mail that contains your username and your password in plain text (the one you've just typed). If they have it in plain text that means they don't even encrypt it in their database.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It was at the time. I'm not sure if cracking algorithms have made it easier to crack string-of-words passwords now. It's still safest to use a long, randomly generated string of characters, but obviously that's not realistic for most internet users.

Of course it is. That's why password managers exist. Or are you saying that people are too dumb to use one?

jelly

Why is gmail not prompting everyone to change their passwords yet?

Google, Microsoft etc. haven't been hacked. It's just people using the same credentials elsewhere, key loggers etc. that leaves them and others wide open. All they can do is prompt you to set up two factor authentication and they do.

vainya

Neo Member
The worst is when you register on a website and then they send you a welcome e-mail that contains your username and your password in plain text (the one you've just typed). If they have it in plain text that means they don't even encrypt it in their database.
This just happened to me when I registered to an online store

tim.mbp

Why is gmail not prompting everyone to change their passwords yet?

Cause this story sounds like BS. I got to imagine millions of working email passwords are worth far more than some likes on Facebook. I'd say it's likely just some shit thrown together to try to make a few bucks off other scammers.

SimleuqiR

I actually had quite a few successful logins from Germany on my Hotmail account. Looking at the history these go back for a while and they are all POP3. Me thinks this is my GMAIL pop setup accessing Hotmail.

I had set up the Microsoft App previously to identify any new PC that tries to log in. So I think I'm good.

ZetaEpyon

I actually had quite a few successful logins from Germany on my Hotmail account. Looking at the history these go back for a while and they are all POP3. Me thinks this is my GMAIL pop setup accessing Hotmail.

Noticed the same thing, and I believe this to be the case.

Does Gmail have a security log?

If your account has suspicious sign-in attempts -- or suspicious successful sign-ins -- then you get a notification e-mail on the address that you've set as your secondary e-mail address.

Also at the bottom right of the main inbox there's a link to show the IPs of all active or recent connections to your account.

Yeah, never bothered looking at my Hotmail sign-in attempts but over the last couple weeks there's been a failed attempt through POP3 from China every three days starting on April 22nd. I should probably make my Hotmail password stronger than what it is. I've had this account (and it was my first) for almost 19 years.

Anyone remember a few years ago when there was some exploit of Yahoo Mail and some app? That was fun, can't remember if I got hit but I got a few e-mails to my Yahoo account from people I use to know with Yahoo accounts. I haven't really used Yahoo as a primary e-mail since my dumb ass hastily fell for a spoofed login page and lost my original account in 2004.

I feel like I should point this out (if it hasn't already) and remind people as I keep forgetting it's there too, as we don't know what passwords were taken, if you have 2 step auth on a Microsoft account you most likely have 2 passwords. Why? Because some apps such as the live mail desktop app (and live essentials), the 360 (I think) etc and possibly other services don't support 2 step auth. So it creates a seperate password from your main one to let you log on to those services.

Google does a similar thing so I guess it applies to Gmail as well. For example, the Vita doesn't support 2-Factor so you can generate an "App Password" that doesn't require 2-Factor so you can use it with the Vita. So if you've ever done that for an app or device that doesn't support 2-factor you need to be aware of that as well.

It's nothing to be concerned about unless they are getting in. People are always trying to hack my MS accounts, I get password reset emails every couple of weeks that I did not initiate. At first it was a little scary but basically this just means that your good password and 2-factor are doing their job and I just delete the emails. It's a good idea to check the activity regularly to make sure you can account for the successful logins, though some of these can be puzzling as well if they're not obviously you. If you're on mobile around here and log in, the location information reported by Verizon doesn't always make sense and can appear to come from strange places like Atlanta, which is a state away from here.

Anyone remember a few years ago when there was some exploit of Yahoo Mail and some app?

Not sure why exactly but we have more problems with user's personal Yahoo accounts getting hacked than any other service. Are they the most popular by a large margin? I just know we never get spammed by breached employee Hotmail, Gmail, or Outlook accounts but it seems to happen to some Yahoo mail user every month.

Drazgul

Incorrect password entered 5/4/2016 7:20 AMRussia
Incorrect password entered 4/28/2016 3:03 AMChina
Incorrect password entered 4/17/2016 7:28 PMKyrgyzstan
Incorrect password entered 4/17/2016 1:03 PMRussia
Incorrect password entered 4/16/2016 8:10 PMUnited States
Incorrect password entered 4/16/2016 9:01 AMCanada
Incorrect password entered 4/16/2016 6:15 AMChina
Incorrect password entered 4/13/2016 5:16 AMRussia
Incorrect password entered 4/12/2016 6:58 PMBelarus
Incorrect password entered 4/9/2016 5:20 AMUnited States

Should just give an option to block all countries but your own by default, this is bullshit.

epmode

Man, I have unsuccessful MS logins from Indonesia, China, Mexico, Russia, other states in America and a few other places. Crazy. Hooray for 2 step authentication.

Linkyn

So, after I changed my password yesterday (which, as fortune would have it, is tied to my MS account), I almost locked myself out of my PC because I couldn't remember the replacement after a restart this morning. I was worried I might have to go use the university cluster to reset it again.

dity

People always assume this kind of thing is malicious, but honestly I reckon it's usually a case of mistyped email address and they don't realised they used an incorrect number/letter until after a few attempts.

MUnited83

For you.
It is baffling.

We have threads like these every two months or so.

Learn 2 Internet, folks. If you hate password managers at least come up with a system

Relevant:

password_strength.png

Hasn't been relevant for a while, people go for dictionary based attacks these days.

saunderez

Hasn't been relevant for a while, people go for dictionary based attacks these days.

Haven't they always? Back in the day when I used to be interested in....uh...more unsavory activities on the internet I always went for the dictionary attack first. And that was a good 20 years ago now.

The easiest way to make this go away is to create an alternate Hotmail address you will use as your primary logon, set it as primary, and disable logon on from your real Hotmail address which is now secondary. Emails will arrive in your Hotmail account just as they always have, since the primary and secondary accounts all share the same mailbox. From this point on, logon using your new primary email address which you don't give to anybody. It's nice that Microsoft Account lets you easily do this.

Coreda

To everyone seeing unsuccessful login attempts from overseas, was the same password at any point shared by another site?

Does Gmail have a security log?

https://myaccount.google.com/security under 'Device activity & notifications'

Haven't they always? Back in the day when I used to be interested in....uh...more unsavory activities on the internet I always went for the dictionary attack first. And that was a good 20 years ago now.

From what I've read in recent years password guessing scripts have incorporated combinations of dictionary words based on the info gleaned from all these breaches and the patterns people use. So it's kind of like a hybrid of dictionary attacks, where not only past examples are checked verbatim but intelligent new combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom