• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos is Going on Real Time with Bill Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
Seems completely uncalled for to call him a pedophile then? Maybe the also very unflattering "making excuses for pedophiles" or even "supporter of pedophilia", but calling him a pedophile seems to be an unnecessary exaggeration.

Why else speak fondly/ extoll on the virtues of sexual abuse of a minor. And yes I mean virtues. Listen to the clips - he made a case for the benefits. He also cited his own sexual abuse as a positive influence. He cited witnissing sexual abuse of a minor at a holywood party. Part of his argument included what constitutes as a child and that his usage of the word boy was actually meant "in the gay way".

So no. I don't think it was uncalled for.

What about the benefits of taking the moral high ground?

In this case? Keeping our children safe from people like him and not having him speak at, among other things, CPAC 2017.

I hope I don't have to explain why bigotry or pedophilia is a bad thing we should take a moral high ground on.

benjipwns

Banned
NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[Smashes glass and model ships with his phaser]

I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!

Seems completely uncalled for to call him a pedophile then? Maybe the also very unflattering "making excuses for pedophiles" or even "supporter of pedophilia", but calling him a pedophile seems to be an unnecessary exaggeration.
Does it really matter when the person in questions argues for the "benefits" of pedophiles. I don't care if he personally is one or not, it is disgusting and he deserves the label.

Does it really matter when the person in questions argues for the "benefits" of pedophiles. I don't care if he personally is one or not, it is disgusting and he deserves the label.
Because you open up the door for "fake news" deflection, the idea is you don't give them an inch to wiggle around.

Going on TV and claiming trans folk are more likely to be sexual predators is not trolling. Purposely calling trans women men is not trolling

Yes it is trolling, he openly says he loves getting a rise out of liberals when he talks like that. If he were to say all these crazy things and nobody would react to it he would be gone tomorrow

To be honest, that interview with Bill was the first time I've ever seen him talk, and he's just not very interesting. I don't understand the fascination with him

The Kree

Banned
Because you open up the door for "fake news" deflection, the idea is you don't give them an inch to wiggle around.

White supremacy ensures they already have all the wiggle room in the world, which is why he hasn't been arrested for harassment yet, and the door to fake news deflection is already wide open. You're a little late to the party with that. And the false equivalence is insulting because the distinction you're making is meaningless against an enemy completely lacking in scruples.

Oersted

Yes it is trolling, he openly says he loves getting a rise out of liberals when he talks like that. If he were to say all these crazy things and nobody would react to it he would be gone tomorrow

To be honest, that interview with Bill was the first time I've ever seen him talk, and he's just not very interesting. I don't understand the fascination with him

His followers listen.

His followers caused harm.

Turning a blind eye to that only leaves the victims alone.

HeelPower

What exactly are Milo's qualifications ? What are his achievements and why is he getting so much attention ?

The level of his intellect and speaking abilities are that of a moderate youtuber.

Oh,I see he was a gamergater.

giphy.gif

SerTapTap

Name a single valid reason anyone who isn't a pedophile would willingly go and defend pedophilia when it isn't even the topic at hand.

QED.

Maebe

The Kree

Banned
Violently protesting to force a cancellation of a speech is suppressing speech

No it isn't. Protest is speech. Violence is generally illegal. Can't cry because someone is louder and more disruptive than you when you're promoting hate speech and inciting harassment. And he's not saying anything worthwhile, so there's no reason to cape for him anyway.

No it isn't. Protest is speech. Violence is generally illegal. Can't cry because someone is louder and more disruptive than you when you're promoting hate speech and inciting harassment. And he's not saying anything worthwhile, so there's no reason to cape for him anyway.

great mental gymnastics there, protest is speech, obviously, but violently protesting to prevent someone from speech is by definition suppression

Armaros

great mental gymnastics there, protest is speech, obviously, but violently protesting to prevent someone from speech is by definition suppression

And the government is involved in this how? You want to keep bringing up free speech, and how does that even apply to students protesting Milo?

KoopaTheCasual

I think you're getting a ton of emotionally charged responses, that basically result in throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Reasonably, as much as a slimy piece of shit as he is, it doesn't make sense to call Milo a pedophile yet, and will only weaken the narrative against him, as he'll scapegoat that claim easily under scrutiny by saying "look, I have never touched an underage boy. you got nothing on me!"

That's just handing Milo a PR "victory" to his base, and make his detractors look crazy. What the narrative NEEDS to focus on is that Milo is a child molestation apologist, or a pedophilia apologist.

These are the statements that we have unequivocal proof on, and force him to make massive posts of squirming excuses to backpedal. That's where we push him back on, not on dramatizing his already sick and heinous beliefs.

White supremacy ensures they already have all the wiggle room in the world, which is why he hasn't been arrested for harassment yet, and the door to fake news deflection is already wide open. You're a little late to the party with that. And the false equivalence is insulting because the distinction you're making is meaningless against an enemy completely lacking in scruples.
I'm not even disagreeing, no shit they're arguing in bad faith and will say fake news regardless, that doesn't mean we need to help them out with it.

Oersted

His followers were not violently rioting, those idiots who did just empower him

You never heard about Gamergate or him targeting transgender, right?

Do you think suppression of speech is something that ONLY can happen when the government is involved?

wow

What is about you concerntrolls never caring about their victims driven into silence?

Lack of empathy? Privilege? Both?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So this is not to his credit (Bill's interview was shit), but Bill books him, everyone becomes aware of this turd, and then people discover he's a pedophile? Uh...ok.

j-wood

So I just watched the interview. I'd agree it was pointless, and I don't really think Milo should be given any airtime.

That said, what I think Bill was attempting to do here, is sort of what you guys are saying in this thread. Stop taking this guys bait on his moronic stuff and ignore him. Bill called him out on stuff like black lives matter being a hate group, saying it was flat out wrong.

I'm not agreeing that that was necessarily the best way to say that, but I think that's why Milo wasn't grilled on the shit that he spews. It would have been a shouting match, with liberals being outraged, and Milo's supporters being like FUCK YEAH.

So he just said you have these views and they are wrong. We should stop taking the bait.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So this is not to his credit (Bill's interview was shit), but Bill books him, everyone becomes aware of this turd, and then people discover he's a pedophile? Uh...ok.

It really seems that being announced for CPAC is what made conservatives discover it. If it was just him being on Maher's show, The Reagan Battalion isn't going to create the clip that went viral and the Daily Caller isn't going to write the article about how crappy he is.

CPAC gave conservatives a reason to care about him beyond just using him as a bludgeon to attack so called free speech hating liberals. Only thing Maher might have done is made it more likely CPAC was going to invite him to speak.

It's frustrating how Daily Caller, New York Daily News, Glenn Beck, and now CPAC apparently care more about Milo's disgusting statements than supposed liberals like Maher and other liberal pundits.

So I just watched the interview. I'd agree it was pointless, and I don't really think Milo should be given any airtime.

That said, what I think Bill was attempting to do here, is sort of what you guys are saying in this thread. Stop taking this guys bait on his moronic stuff and ignore him. Bill called him out on stuff like black lives matter being a hate group, saying it was flat out wrong.

I'm not agreeing that that was necessarily the best way to say that, but I think that's why Milo wasn't grilled on the shit that he spews. It would have been a shouting match, with liberals being outraged, and Milo's supporters being like FUCK YEAH.

So he just said you have these views and they are wrong. We should stop taking the bait.

When I choose to ignore people, I generally don't do it by booking them on national television.

SerTapTap

It really seems that being announced for CPAC is what made conservatives discover it. If it was just him being on Maher's show, The Reagan Battalion isn't going to create the clip that went viral and the Daily Caller isn't going to write the article about how crappy he is.

CPAC gave conservatives a reason to care about him beyond just using him as a bludgeon to attack so called free speech hating liberals. Only thing Maher might have done is made it more likely CPAC was going to invite him to speak.

It's frustrating how Daily Caller, New York Daily News, Glenn Beck, and now CPAC apparently care more about Milo's disgusting statements than supposed liberals like Maher and other liberal pundits.

Yeah, CPAC fucked up big time. But on the other hand, they might have finally brought him down ironically enough.

I think more people realized after Maher's love taps that Milo would only be more normalized if some work wasn't put in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom