• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos is Going on Real Time with Bill Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

lol if this pedo bullshit is the line that people choose to draw in the sand, while transphobia, racism, homophobia, and misogyny weren't

Holy crap, two threads now, together almost 200'000 views. So much about not giving him a platform. He is really in a lot of peoples head, this is pretty obsessive. I don't think even Milo thinks about Milo as much as some people in this thread do.

This is like when Buffalo Bill does that dance in the mirror, right?

Like "hell with it, let's just dance" huh.

This isn't "giving him a platform." This is denouncing/ridiculing/shaming without allowing him to provide any sort of self-defense. It's the opposite of giving him a platform. It's kicking out the boards propping up his trash and pouring gasoline on the pile of kindling that's collapsed in on itself.

Zakalwe

Banned
Holy crap, two threads now, together almost 200'000 views. So much about not giving him a platform. He is really in a lot of peoples head, this is pretty obsessive. I don't think even Milo thinks about Milo as much as some people in this thread do.

Of course he's in our heads. He's a piece of shit spreading vile hate to harm innocent people.

We need to focus on this fool and get his platform eradicated by both sides.

Breads

Banned

You defend a pedophile.

How does that make you feel. What value did we gain by putting him on air.

Jobbs

Banned
Honestly ignoring is the only thing that works. He's only popular because he's hated, the hate goes the alt right will dump him.

I mean he says outright that he's a troll. Unless you find the troll entertaining the only smart reaction is ignoring him.

Just don't look

Zakalwe

Banned
I mean he says outright that he's a troll. Unless you find the troll entertaining the only smart reaction is ignoring him.

Just don't look

Wrong. That's partially how Trump got in.

Look, here's a fact: Milo, Spencer, etc... there's people help the conservatives. They help rally the alt-right which the mainstream parties alone wouldn't be able to do alone.

They would never endorse them publicly, but they would never denounce them either. They could do this because they were fringe radicals, but now Milo is having attention from the mainstream they /have/ to distance themselves from him and this will rob him of a lot of his perceive credibility.

In no other area of life is "ignoring the problem" the best solution, and it isn't true here either.

eot

Banned
Well yeah, of course he doesn't support pedophilia. He even says so in the videos in question, where he makes it very clear that 13-14 year old boys having sex with adult men is super cool and totally not pedophilia because they aren't prepubescent. The semantic argument is a real winner.
Age of consent in for example Germany is 14 I think, so I guess it wouldn't be pedophilia there. Having a blanket law like that is kinda weird though, like it's one thing to say that a 14 year old and 16 year old can have sex, but it's another to say that a 60 year old can have sex with a 14 year old. The way you'd justify the first doesn't justify the second.

Trokil

Banned
You defend a pedophile.

You are awesome. I said he is a Troll, against all that "don't give him a platform he is a nazi" crowd and now he starts to expose himself as a lot of people expected.

And now you try to make this your thing and blame the "let him talk he is a troll" people. If mental gymnastics ever get olympic nobody will take the gold medal from you.

Floex

You defend a pedophile.

The poster didn't defend such a thing. Now, this is a thing that pisses me off these days, twisting someone's words for ones own agenda.

Fuck right off with that shit.

Oersted

That is not even an argument. It is a backhanded insult, purposefully ignoring the actual issue.

You are appaling.

I'm sure this sounded witty in your head

Breads

Banned
The poster didn't defend such a thing. Now, this is a thing that pisses me off these days, twisting someone's words for ones own agenda.

Fuck right off with that shit.

Such indignation!

Sure they did. Many times. The reason they defended why they should have have a platform is because we need to discuss his views with him to counter his points! They framed it all in an argument mocking the noplatform stance, implying we were lazy and we support it because doing this would be " a lot of hard work and he even might fight back."

:(

You should look back in this thread. One point that was particularly hilarious was the case they made for not being a nazi that included comparing Nazi memorabilia that Milo wore with others which are also used by nazis. It was basically the confederate flag/ heritage argument for the iron cross - lol. That we should avoid calling him a Nazi for the Nazi things he does because that would devalue the word or something.

Then there was the constant deflection that Milo is just a troll that we're propping up as being more serious than he actually is. Downplaying his following over and over again while mocking us for being obsessed with him.

Then there is the that bit about how the importance of cyberbullying is overblown and that the solution is simple - just turn off your computer! I'm not making this shit up. Their deflection on Milo's cyber bullying was that there are worse things in the world like families abandoning you and that people like Michelle Bachman exist. If this sounds incoherent then that's their fault - not mine. I said they defended Milo. Not that they did it well.

But no. They didn't defend Milo! I'm just twisting their words to fit my agenda.

Other brilliant stances Trokil maintains include being anti GMO and anti Vaccine. You should look those up too.

You are awesome. I said he is a Troll, against all that "don't give him a platform he is a nazi" crowd and now he starts to expose himself as a lot of people expected.

And now you try to make this your thing and blame the "let him talk he is a troll" people. If mental gymnastics ever get olympic nobody will take the gold medal from you.

You said a lot of things. 52 posts in this thread as of right now. Don't try to boil it all down to that one line. And he didn't expose himself by getting on Bill Maher. These things were known which is why we don't want to give him a platform. Not sure why you keep defending him.

Trokil

Banned
You said a lot of things. 52 posts in this thread as of right now. Don't try to boil it all down to that one line. And he didn't expose himself by getting on Bill Maher. These things were known which is why we don't want to give him a platform. Not sure why you keep defending him.

I know this is really, really, really hard for you and a lot of people in here, but perhaps one day you will understand that: not having the same opinion as you does not mean somebody is defending something.

I know it is really, really, really hard to have to deal with people having different opinions and I hope one day you will find a place where there is no such thing, but until then, I hope you will someday accept the fact that not everybody see everything the same way you do.

I do realize this different opinion thing is a stupid concept, especially on a discussion board in the internet and maybe you will find some day a solution to that. I wish you the best and I hope different opinion on things will not be something you will be confronted to often in the future.

Breads

Banned
You keep downplaying what he says, does, what their impact is, who his followers are, and why we should be concerned.

You maintain that he should be given a platform to discuss his bigotry and you haven't changed stances yet despite now finding out about his pedophilia.

But he is a troll you say! We shouldn't be taking him seriously! Oh he is just a clown look at all the attention we're giving him! We should put him on to mock him!

Yeah... that's downplaying the ugliness that is everything he is and brushing his disgusting and hateful ways as lol trolling while fighting for him to have a platform is in fact defending him. Because as low as you want us to sell him the reality is that he is far lower a creature still. He benefits directly from a stance like yours as do other bigots. Noone else gains anything here. Not sure what stake you have in this but you continue to entertain with your... opinions.

So basically Milo is just one of those guys who really, really want you to know what the difference between ephebophilia and pedophilia is.

V_Arnold

Well, I was wrong. This interview WAS indeed pointless.
Milo was not challenged, he was not pushed, he was not REALLY debated either.

This was like a glorified pr stunt for him, where Maher could feel like he is talking to a younger himself (?). Meh.

Trokil

Banned
You keep downplaying what he says, does, what their impact is, who his followers are, and why we should be concerned.

Isn't that exactly what different opinion means, that people see things differently and have a different ideas how to handle things that could mean, they don't see it the same way you do.

Is that so incredible hard to accept, you made your points, I made my points and usually people would accept that. But you keep attacking people if they do not share your view.

You and I have different opinions on the importance of Milo and how to handle him and why is that so hard for you to accept that. Why do you try to spin that, that different opinions mean supporting something? Do you realize how many people you would alienate with discussion techniques like that outside of the internet?

The Kree

Banned
Isn't that exactly what different opinion means, that people see things differently and have a different ideas how to handle things that could mean, they don't see it the same way you do.

Is that so incredible hard to accept, you made your points, I made my points and usually people would accept that. But you keep attacking people if they do not share your view.

You and I have different opinions on the importance of Milo and how to handle him and why is that so hard for you to accept that. Why do you try to spin that, that different opinions mean supporting something? Do you realize how many people you would alienate with discussion techniques like that outside of the internet?

How many people do you think you've alienated in this discussion with your approach?

benjipwns

Banned
This is like when Buffalo Bill does that dance in the mirror, right?

Like "hell with it, let's just dance" huh.

This isn't "giving him a platform." This is denouncing/ridiculing/shaming without allowing him to provide any sort of self-defense. It's the opposite of giving him a platform. It's kicking out the boards propping up his trash and pouring gasoline on the pile of kindling that's collapsed in on itself.
"ignoring" is enabling in this case. Leaving them alone and uninhibited is enabling. You don't stamp out Milo by letting him retreat to some corner and consolidate support. You stamp him out by making sure people know what he says, preventing him from providing a mealy-mouthed defense, and hammering the living fuck out of his reprehensible ass as loudly as you can while amplifying any voices directly affected by his bullshit so people know where to place their empathy.

What you're advocating is a pie-in-the-sky scenario where the path of least resistance is the morally correct and most successful route.

It isn't.
Of course he's in our heads. He's a piece of shit spreading vile hate to harm innocent people.

We need to focus on this fool and get his platform eradicated by both sides.
You don't ignore a weird lump on your skin, you get it diagnosed and take appropriate action.

Milo needs to be focused on. There's no way the mainstream right will back him up once his vile shit becomes prominent, and when they start denouncing him in numbers he'll lose a lot of perceived credibility and find himself slumming it back to the fringes of the shit-web.

Fucker needs to be taken out pro-actively.
What exactly is being proposed here? Some kind of 24/7 pogrom until M*lo and anyone who shares a single one of his views is no longer talked about (outside of the endless pogrom of course)?

Just endless wall to wall coverage about everything he does? (But no actual platform for himself to speak obviously.)

And like where do we do this, just GAF? Where supermajorities already seem content to express their opinion on him? Should we start making Facebook comments about M*lo on all local news stories or what?

Trokil

Banned
How many people do you think you've alienated in this discussion with your approach?

Because I have a different opinion on something. Ok, I understand why Milo is getting so under the skin of some people.

Bigotry and pedophilia - a difference of opinion. The Trokil story.

Well, done. So you are using Milo techniques now? I guess he would be proud. I like to quote the movie 8mm for you, because you deserve it.

You're welcome. Pops... If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you.

benjipwns

Banned
like to quote the movie 8mm for you, because you deserve it.
I like that movie until the ending.

So I'll quote from Lucifer for you:
They used to call the devil the father of lies. But for someone whose sin is meant to be pride, you'd think that lying would leave something of a sour taste. So my theory is that when the devil wants to get something out of you, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to hell.

The Kree

Banned
Because I have a different opinion on something. Ok, I understand why Milo is getting so under the skin of some people.

Well, done. So you are using Milo techniques now? I guess he would be proud. I like to quote the movie 8mm for you, because you deserve it.

You're caping for a child predator. But don't worry, that's just my opinion. It's different than yours, but you have to accept it for reasons.

The Kree

Banned
So to beat Milo you have become Milo. Impressive, I guess.

Nah, because what I said is not nearly equivalent to organizing harassment campaigns against members of marginalized groups and advocating child sex abuse. You can't possibly be that remedial.

Trokil

Banned
This failure is why Batman has never defeated The Joker.

People here are ok with the Joker as long as he only attacks the other side, they support violence, death threats, oppression and anti-democratic movements as long as it seem fit for them. Perhaps the sad thing is, a lot of people on the left hate democracy just as much as people on the right. Look how the act, what values they try to advocate. Look how fast they adapt to techniques the other side is using.

Trokil

Banned
Don't see why they would, this would be on Bill dropping the ball, the core idea of *debate and shame him* would still have its appeal.

And all the things people are using against him now; also to attack people who said he should talk, he told on a platform he should not had in the first place. And they don't even see how this is a contradiction, because they are just right: always.

Don't see why they would, this would be on Bill dropping the ball, the core idea of *debate and shame him* would still have its appeal.

yeah. for instance Larry Wilmore did a pretty good job against Milo and that was only a few minutes with a bunch of interruptions.

imagine if someone else was opposite Milo, and for longer. Bill Maher just fell in love with the dude though due to the anti-PC thing. I wouldn't have been opposed to Milo's appearance if Bill pressed on him, but wtf they sounded like buddies in the interview segment. shit was wack. and he threw such softballs at him.

Breads

Banned
I have not followed this latest twist. So Milo has admitted that he is sexually attracted to kids?

Milo is against the current age of consent for reasons that only exist to justify wanting to have sex with a child. He supports "intergenerational relationships" and does not consider it pedophilia if an adult man grooms a 13 year old. But ahah - says he. It isn't pedophilia. It's ephebophelia! And he has historical arguments in support of how it can enrich the young person's life.

Is he a pedophile? I guess his argument depends on what you consider a child. He hasn't admitted to being attracted to children. He only admitted to the predatory relationship he had with a catholic priest and how it benefited his life and how he admits how prominent it is in his community.

rjinaz

People here are ok with the Joker as long as he only attacks the other side, they support violence, death threats, oppression and anti-democratic movements as long as it seem fit for them. Perhaps the sad thing is, a lot of people on the left hate democracy just as much as people on the right. Look how the act, what values they try to advocate. Look how fast they adapt to techniques the other side is using.

So in your mind, people that hate hate speech, nazis, homophobes, and racists are the same as those that use hate speech, are nazis,are racists, and are homophobes? The intolerant Left won't tolerate the intolerance, they are just as bad and hate democracy! Also what are you talking about the Left adapting the techniques of the other side? Let's see how deep this hole goes.

And all the things people are using against him now; also to attack people who said he should talk, he told on a platform he should not had in the first place. And they don't even see how this is a contradiction, because they are just right: always.

It really seems like you are trying to muddle the conversation here. There are different people with different opinions in this thread. Some think he should be ignored others not ignored. You're grouping people together when there is no Left or Right here necessarily as far as I can tell. Maybe look for your "see the Left is just as bad" argument elsewhere.

You got to explain this a bit more, because it makes little sense. So people can not attack him for what he said, because he said it on a program they didn't want him to come on? That is not a good argument against attacking him for what he said there.

d00d3n

Milo is against the current age of consent for reasons that only exist to justify wanting to have sex with a child. He supports "intergenerational relationships" and does not consider it pedophilia if an adult man grooms a 13 year old. But ahah - says he. It isn't pedophilia. It's ephebophelia! And he has historical arguments in support of how it can enrich the young person's life.

Is he a pedophile? I guess his argument depends on what you consider a child. He hasn't admitted to being attracted to children. He only admitted to the predatory relationship he had with a catholic priest and how it benefited his life and how he admits how prominent it is in his community.

Seems completely uncalled for to call him a pedophile then? Maybe the also very unflattering "making excuses for pedophiles" or even "supporter of pedophilia", but calling him a pedophile seems to be an unnecessary exaggeration.

benjipwns

Banned
Seems completely uncalled for to call him a pedophile then? Maybe the also very unflattering "making excuses for pedophiles" or even "supporter of pedophilia", but calling him a pedophile seems to be an unnecessary exaggeration.
He wouldn't be above smearing his opponents, so it's fair game to use against him or any of his defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom