• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft 1.8 "Adventure Update" pre-release version available.

L00P

meats stack now! Thank the lord!!! Chicken and beef drops is great, too! I've always wanted that since I first played the game. I really like the new chest opening animation, too!

And I fucking love the dash! It's useful for escaping and great for knocking creepers back! Traveling at night doesn't seem so bad anymore!!!

I love this update in more ways than one because I'm not really the builder type. I just want to explore, find something cool, and explore some more

epmode

Puppet Shadow said:
Using 64 bit Java here, and it works for me.

Create a shortcut for minecraft.exe, then have Steam point to the shortcut (instead of the exe) when you add it via Games -> Add a non-Steam game to my library.
I should have tried that first. Installing JRE 7 32 fixed my problem though!

Holy shit that new enemy type is creeping me the fuck out.
I was looking out of my new house, wondering what the hell that tall black figure in the distance was. Suddenly it spins around and stares straight at me, stares for a few seconds and then starts to shake a little before it just vanished.

I went "wtf?" and turned around to see that he was now standing right behind me OH MY GOD

jchap

FoxHimself said:
I was looking out of my new house, wondering what the hell that tall black figure in the distance was. Suddenly it spins around and stares straight at me, stares for a few seconds and then starts to shake a little before it just vanished.

I went "wtf?" and turned around to see that he was now standing right behind me OH MY GOD

*Turns it on peaceful forever more*

Razorskin

----- ------
FoxHimself said:

eCsZB.png

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
FoxHimself said:

I had a pretty freaky encounter with one.

I was standing on a pillar of sand in the desert so I could get a look at them, it starts teleporting to me and then it's at the base of my little tower and suddenly my tower is one block shorter because it had picked up part of it. Freaked me out.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought NPC villages weren't supposed to be until 1.9, right?

jediyoshi said:
The bow is so satisfying now, makes me wish the swords had charge ups too
Can you jump to do sword critical hits?

Conciliator said:
So, looks like gaining levels doesn't do anything yet? Anyone agree or disagree?

Also noticed that. I couldn't find my "level" anywhere.

I also could not find villages or dungeons. Maybe that is in the next update? I'm not sure.

spirity

Villages are in, but there's not many of them. They aren't populated with npcs yet, that comes in the next patch.

Exuro

This suppose to chug? I've got a pretty capable system and I'm getting a lot of framerate dipping into the 20s.

Had some major memory problems the further out from my spawn point I explored, but installing the newest 64 Bit Java Machine solved it.

This update really gives exploration new life. The abandoned mineshafts are creepy, really creepy. I've discovered two. The first was filled with spawncages and cobwebs, one of the bastards poisoned me! There were some random chests here which was good. The second was DEEP underground with a lot of wooden support structures. Due to a lava fall, the entire place was burning when I stumbled in, was amazing. Not found any villages yet.

Everything feels more vast. The chams and ravines are huge, oceans feel oceaning and are much deeper, with cracks at the bottom which will lead you to a waterfall in an immense cave structure. The biomes benefit greatly from the extra space, feels much more organic.

Hunger is taking some getting used to, I'm finding myself killing the animals for the first time, when I'm usually doing what I can to protect them.

So far I'm impressed and having fun. It reminds me of those early days playing the game spoiler free, and not really knowing what I was going to find next. I just wish one more thing was included.

spirity

Mama Robotnik said:
Hunger is taking some getting used to, I'm finding myself killing the animals for the first time, when I'm usually doing what I can to protect them.

Yeah, notice that they're keen on self preservation now. Come back, piggie!

Grinchy

Banned
Exuro said:
This suppose to chug? I've got a pretty capable system and I'm getting a lot of framerate dipping into the 20s.
Are you exploring a lot? I'm finding that if I'm in one area for long enough, it runs at high framerates. As soon as I start leaving and it has to generate new terrain, it chugs (moreso than before this update).

bathala

Banned
this is driving me nuts.

How do you start a new world in 1.8 server?

I deleted my world folder nothing. I changed my server.properties. Nothing

Hylian7

I'm playing on my own server with SirIlpalazzo right now. Endermen don't seem to work. They don't give a fuck about me unless I attack them. Other than that they do nothing.

If you want to see the new ocean generation first hand, use the seed ne0gaf (with a zero). You start here:

ne0gaf.jpg

EDIT - another shot from the ne0gaf seed:

ne0gaf2.jpg

The terrain seems more organic than in the previous versions of Minecraft, I feel. More height contours

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The new bioms look so damn cool. All the 1.8 updates are rad.

I really need to see if I can fix my server. I tried hosting a game on my computer for just me and a friend to play in, assuming the latency wouldn't be all that demanding, but it screws up 99% of the time. When he enters he essentially freezes to the stop, and it only loads a very small portion of the game world.

Grinchy

Banned
I've somehow run into a bug that lets me create infinite wooden sticks. I was making tools, and I had the sticks in my crafting table. I exited the crafting table, and the sticks fell on the ground like normal, except I could only pick up one of them. I moved the one stick to another inventory slot and another single stick popped up in my hotbar. I couldn't stack them for some reason. I threw the 2 sticks out of my inventory and noticed that the original ones were still in front of the crafting table.

I did this process again, and I had created 2 new sticks. I even used the crafting table to place a single stick in every slot, then leave so the 9 sticks fell out all at once. This started as 2 sticks:

kvMAp.png

I can make ladders and fences and they stack and behave properly, but I can't pick up any more than 2 sticks at a time.

*edit: this may be a known bug already

If you want to explore a village, use this seed:

mamarobotniksentmeheretodie

You'll start on a massive mountain, look around and you'll see the village in the distance.

EDIT - there are two village in this biome. When you arrive in village one, you will see a small black forest in the middle of the desert. Walk through the forest and you will reach village two. The second village is more interesting, it has workbenches and a library.

EDIT EDIT - there are three villages in this seed, the third is on the other side of the desert from village two. The Third village is built to the side of a vast deep dark ravine, that has an abandoned mine at the bottom.

Branson

How do I restart my server to make it regenerate the world? I used the .jar for the server and had deleted the world folder too. Its still the old world seed when I start, like I never deleted it.

Max said:
These new biomes add so much

That's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. Near my very first spawn (Nov 1st seed, right after the halloween patch), I have a LARGE forest to my NW, and a HUGE desert archipelego to the south. Farther beyond those, in subsiquent patches, the biomes get patchy, and weakens the flow of the world seeing about 12 blocks of snow here and there with triangular chunks of desert and one HUGE tree.

Every time I go into full screen, I can play for about 15-20 seconds and then I get the "saving chunks" screen and it just goes to black and I have to exit out. Anyone else have this problem?

Grinchy

Banned
Piercedveil said:
Every time I go into full screen, I can play for about 15-20 seconds and then I get the "saving chunks" screen and it just goes to black and I have to exit out. Anyone else have this problem?
My saving chunks error just hasn't been that consistent. I've crashed around 15 times total now. At first it was all from the furnace, then it happened a couple times from chests, then it would happen when I was just walking around. It crashed in this way 3 times in a row when trying to play earlier, so either it has gotten worse or there's something making it happen over and over again (maybe it's the furnace cooking cycles. I have stone cooking).

I found what seemed to be the beginnings of a dungeon. In a ravine there were a bunch of wooden arches floating with spiderwebs, then some arches were built into the side with cart tracks leading into long tunnels. Unfortunately fraps doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

Complistic

I have a computer with 8gb of RAM but minecraft keeps crashing and telling me I ran out of memory. Anyone know a fix? Sometimes it just crashes but I think thats just because this version is buggy.

Confidence Man said:
I found what seemed to be the beginnings of a dungeon. In a ravine there were a bunch of wooden arches floating with spiderwebs, then some arches were built into the side with cart tracks leading into long tunnels. Unfortunately fraps doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

That would be an abandoned mine. They go on for miles. Watch out for the spiders in there... :p

Complistic said:
I have a computer with 8gb of RAM but minecraft keeps crashing and telling me I ran out of memory. Anyone know a fix? Sometimes it just crashes but I think thats just because this version is buggy.

You're more than okay on the RAM. I have 4 GB and I haven't had any problems with that.

Really wishing I could go into FS without it crashing :(

Sye d'Burns

Grinchy said:
My saving chunks error just hasn't been that consistent. I've crashed around 15 times total now. At first it was all from the furnace, then it happened a couple times from chests, then it would happen when I was just walking around. It crashed in this way 3 times in a row when trying to play earlier, so either it has gotten worse or there's something making it happen over and over again (maybe it's the furnace cooking cycles. I have stone cooking).

Are you playing single player? Are you using a new seed?
I haven't had one crash with single player and my oven has worked very well. I have left it cooking unattended and all. I have also had no problem picking something up that I've dropped (which is something with which I think someone else said they were having issues)

My framerate was a little choppy. (fancy, far, smooth lighting on, balanced) It is much improved since I turned on advanced opengl in video options.

I've done some mild exploring, it's hard to say how far I've actually travelled because the biomes seem massive now. I have found one old style dungeon with the mossy cobblestone and mob spawner so I guess they are still in there, much less common for me so far though.

The seed I'm using is asperges nice high mountains and valleys. I haven't yet seen a village. Good stuff so far. I am really loving this update. It's bringing back the wanderlust that I remember from back in alpha.

Atomski

Complistic said:
If you have a 64 bit OS make sure to have the 64 bit version of Java installed.

I've heard people saying that furnaces crash the game. Anyone having issues with this? Is it every time you use it? Or just sometimes? I'm afraid to try.

Irish

Damn... I really want to experience all of this through X's Adventures in Minecraft. I hope he starts that back up again.

OnPoint

I haven't touched Minecraft in two updates . Then I watched the 1.8 trailer.

I will definitely be logging in again.

JoeBoy101

Holy shit. Started playing and not only found a desert, but one with a village in it. Also had to fight off some Endermen. And also have to second the very awe-inspiring terrain being created. I mean...

Need to post some screenshots.

Sye d'Burns

EskimoJoe said:
I've heard people saying that furnaces crash the game. Anyone having issues with this? Is it every time you use it? Or just sometimes? I'm afraid to try.

Sye d'Burns said:
Are you playing single player? Are you using a new seed?
I haven't had one crash with single player and my oven has worked very well. I have left it cooking unattended and all. I have also had no problem picking something up that I've dropped (which is something with which I think someone else said they were having issues)

I know I don't speak for everyone here but I haven't had a single issue with the oven.

Windows 7 64, 64Bit Java, 8GB, 2010 Mac mini

Also, I had an initial issue logging in to the Minecraft server. I re-entered my name and password and it connects right up.

You know it's a real shame that X is not doing anymore Let's Play of Minecraft. X was one of my favorite people to watch play Minecraft and was the one who got me interested in the game. Oh well.

New update sounds great! I can't wait!

Top Bottom