• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft 1.8 "Adventure Update" pre-release version available.

Irish

Luckydude23 said:
You know it's a real shame that X is not doing anymore Let's Play of Minecraft. X was one of my favorite people to watch play Minecraft and was the one who got me interested in the game. Oh well.

New update sounds great! I can't wait!

I've only experienced Minecraft through X. I was just thinking earlier in the thread how awesome it would be if he made his return to Minecraft with this update.

Grinchy

Banned
Sye d'Burns said:
Are you playing single player? Are you using a new seed?
I haven't had one crash with single player and my oven has worked very well. I have left it cooking unattended and all. I have also had no problem picking something up that I've dropped (which is something with which I think someone else said they were having issues)

My framerate was a little choppy. (fancy, far, smooth lighting on, balanced) It is much improved since I turned on advanced opengl in video options.
I'm playing single and I started a new seed. In fact, this is my 3rd new seed. I just have really inconsistent luck with these crashes. I just played it for like 2 hours straight without any issue and I baked a bunch of new stuff in the ovens. I did move my furnaces so that they are not in contact with each other or a crafting table, but that was just a little experiment.

I haven't really had framerate issues or anything like that. When I'm loading a new area, sure, but other than that it runs quite smooth. I have been using a bed to sleep the night away, and I feel like I no longer have any friendly mobs spawning near me. Maybe i need to travel far away and come back.

epmode

Complistic said:
I have a computer with 8gb of RAM but minecraft keeps crashing and telling me I ran out of memory. Anyone know a fix? Sometimes it just crashes but I think thats just because this version is buggy.
Yeah, this is almost certainly related to your Java settings. I've been getting that error since 1.6 and only fixed it after switching to a 64 bit Java client. Now I can't get Java to work as a plugin in any of my browers (64-bit browsers are not as common as you'd think) but I think I can live with it.

raebodep

Bx1HP.jpg

It's been a while since I've played minecraft. I want to get back into it but there are so many games to play.

Sye d'Burns

Grinchy said:
I'm playing single and I started a new seed. In fact, this is my 3rd new seed. I just have really inconsistent luck with these crashes. I just played it for like 2 hours straight without any issue and I baked a bunch of new stuff in the ovens. I did move my furnaces so that they are not in contact with each other or a crafting table, but that was just a little experiment.

I haven't really had framerate issues or anything like that. When I'm loading a new area, sure, but other than that it runs quite smooth. I have been using a bed to sleep the night away, and I feel like I no longer have any friendly mobs spawning near me. Maybe i need to travel far away and come back.

Are ypu using the correct java?

Right now I'm living in the side of a mountain that started from mining coal. Hey, I needed a place to sleep. My furnace is on one wall by itself. Being by itself may be it, I don't know. It sucks you're having issues.

After enabling Advanced OpenGL I haven't had much in the way of framerate issues. The mini is displaying on a 1980x1200 acd so I expect some dips occasionally.

Spawning both good and evil seem to be working well for me. What terrain are you in? Don't friendly spawns need grass to spawn?

It did take me three or so days after I had settled into my hovel to find sheep though.

Grinchy

Banned
Sye d'Burns said:
Are ypu using the correct java?

Right now I'm living in the side of a mountain that started from mining coal. Hey, I needed a place to sleep. My furnace is on one wall by itself. Being by itself may be it, I don't know. It sucks you're having issues.

After enabling Advanced OpenGL I haven't had much in the way of framerate issues. The mini is displaying on a 1980x1200 acd so I expect some dips occasionally.

Spawning both good and evil seem to be working well for me. What terrain are you in? Don't friendly spawns need grass to spawn?

It did take me three or so days after I had settled into my hovel to find sheep though.
Yeah I have been playing for a long time and I installed the 64 bit java a while ago. I think I'm actually going to reinstall it again. Minecraft will now do the "saving chunks" crash just as I'm trying to load. Or, like earlier, nothing goes wrong. I can't explain it. Everything works very well except for these random crashes so reinstalling java might be a good place to start.

I guess I expected bugs though. I'm not really upset, especially since it's so awesome to play that I am letting it crash dozens of times.

celebi23 said:

Wow...I was wondering what that was. I actually thought the green outline meant it was giving me some kind of buff lol

Kalnos

Banned
How slowly does the hunger meter deplete? I'm not sure I like the idea of dying just because I didn't want to kill a bunch of pigs and eat constantly, just seems like a pain in the ass for no real purpose.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
redhot_ said:
Replace the old Minecraft.jar in your Bin folder with the new 1.8 .Jar and start it up.

Where is thre Bin folder? I unpacked the minecraft app but it isn't in there...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Kalnos said:
How slowly does the hunger meter deplete? I'm not sure I like the idea of dying just because I didn't want to kill a bunch of pigs and eat constantly, just seems like a pain in the ass for no real purpose.

Same, posted this in the minecraft thread:

I was starting a new world, put in a certain seed and started of on a tiny island with one tree. Made the workbench, some dirt housing and still dont have enough wood for a pickaxe... patiently waiting for my first tree to grow...
Also: no animals so far, I gathered some dirt and made a bigger plain for them to spawn, but right now I only got zombies and skeletons during the night but no animal spawns. So I should probably starve within one day. Hope I'll find a mod soon that deactivates starving.

And the last funny thing, because of the skeletons I sat in my mud housing during the night until one dirt cube disappeared and an Ender stared at me through the hole.

Oh dear.

I dont know how its like in normal regions but I think I dont want to be bothered by it and will probably search for a no hunger mod soon.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
GDJustin said:
Where is thre Bin folder? I unpacked the minecraft app but it isn't in there...

Type "%appdata%" in your windows search.
Then Roaming -> .Minecraft -> Bin

Talamius

Toma said:
Same, posted this in the minecraft thread:

I dont know how its like in normal regions but I think I dont want to be bothered by it and will probably search for a no hunger mod soon.

Why not try farming or fishing? One of the things I enjoy about the way hunger ties into the game is that it makes areas more/less habitable than others. Finding a good place to start your settlement (easy access to food, water, and resources) is a larger part of the game.

Borman

Its in /Users/-Your username-/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/bin

Edit: Easier
Hit go to folder in Finder, and type :
~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/bin

And it should take you there

Kalnos

Banned
Toma said:

Apparently on easy you stop at 75% hp and normal at 50% (doesn't happen at all on peaceful) but I still don't like 'difficulty' that's derived through a repetitive activity so I will probably find a hunger changing mod as well.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Borman said:
Its in /Users/-Your username-/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/bin

Edit: Easier
Hit go to folder in Finder, and type :
~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/bin

And it should take you there

Got it - thanks.

jediyoshi

Kalnos said:
Apparently on easy you stop at 75% hp and normal at 50% (doesn't happen at all on peaceful) but I still don't like 'difficulty' that's derived through a repetitive activity so I will probably find a hunger changing mod as well.

So you don't play any RPGs or strategy games ever? :p

Kalnos said:

Dang I want hunger at peaceful... Damn.

Toma

Talamius said:
Why not try farming or fishing? One of the things I enjoy about the way hunger ties into the game is that it makes areas more/less habitable than others. Finding a good place to start your settlement (easy access to food, water, and resources) is a larger part of the game.

Dont have a hoe, and dont have a fishing rod. And no wood to make one. As I said, I am currently waiting on my tree to grow and I am TRYING to make it without deactivating. If its impossible I'll probably change to no starvation soon, though. I love starting in small defined areas and then conquer the rest of the world. (well not literally..)

Kalnos

Banned
jediyoshi said:
So you don't play any RPGs or strategy games ever? :p

Self-buffs in WoW, i.e. Demon Armor, can only be cast on yourself but they used to have a time limit where you would have to recast it like every 30 minutes (I haven't played in years, so they might have changed it). Why? What's the point of making you recast a spell like that? What harm would their be in letting you keep it until you died/it was debuffed?

In the same respect I view this as a pointless little task that adds nothing of real value to the game. Walking outside and killing pigs isn't challenging and it will just be annoying to have to end your mining spree only because you need to return to the surface to kill some harmless mobs so that you don't die from hunger. I appreciate the idea, making animal npcs more important and forcing you to leave your fortress, but I'm not sure about the execution.

EDIT: Also a correction to an earlier post:

Easy --> health stops at 5 hearts.
Normal --> health stops at .5 hearts.
Hard --> death.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Even with 64 bit Java installed this version is running like shit. Looks like I'm going to have to drop my draw distance (which I hate)

Haunted

These changes might be big enough to get me back into it after being absolutely hooked for a time last year.

Then again, I told myself I'd play it again after release proper.

rexor0717 said:
This is great, but I wish towns were populated. They're creepy right now.
That's the best part about Minecraft.

*insert Notch's brother halloween story*

rexor0717

Haunted said:
These changes might be big enough to get me back into it after being absolutely hooked for a time last year.

Then again, I told myself I'd play it again after release proper.

That's the best part about Minecraft.

*insert Notch's brother halloween story*
Yeah, this game never ceases to make me feel scared for my safety.lol

Grinchy

Banned
I have found out why my world seemed devoid of animals and maybe why yours may be too. You will find random holes in the land that dip down a little bit. All the animals who are grazing fall into these. I will sometimes find 8 or 9 cows and a bunch of chickens in one of them.

I have tons of food now because all of the friendly mobs were concentrated in these "holes" in the ground all over my plains spawn.

Has anyone else been able to spawn in or locate a snow biome? I've been experimenting with with seeds, cannot seem to get any snow or ice at all.

Top Bottom