• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

OmegaFax

Also disappointed that texture packs are in the game but just through "trial" versions so you think you have them but in fact you have to pay for that. Game is already overpriced compared to the PC version or even the other console versions, and they can't offer a few texture packs day one. What a shame.
A rumble option would have been great too (even "not HD")

The Natural, Fantasy, City, Mario, and Festive packs in the game are not trials but the full thing.

Ninja Dom

Digital Foundry - Minecraft: Switch vs PS4. Graphics Comparison & Frame Rate Test

Switch is 720p both docked AND undocked. 4J claim they were having issues with the resolution from switching between docked & undocked (something that Nintendo's own games like Mario Kart have no problem with). Possible patch coming in the future to update the docked mode to 1080p.

Framerate in single player is mostly 60fps.

Draw distance in docked single player is 11 or 12 chunks docked and 7 chunks in portable. Vita version is 5 chunks draw distance.

Darn it, why'd they have to delay the physical release...I wanna get this for my Switch, and I got enough eshop credit that it's really tempting. Yet because they announced a physical release later, I'm really tempted to wait because I'm trying to own all Switch games I get that have a physical release, as a physical copy rather than digital.

rc213

Decided to go ham on a tiny cave next to where I built my house. Found tons of Red Stone, Iron, Coal , Gold and Lapis Lazuli and a bit of Gold and Diamonds.

Not what's everything should be used for? Also how do you keep from getting lost when exploring? Map or Beacon?

jariw

Decided to go ham on a tiny cave next to where I built my house. Found tons of Red Stone, Iron, Coal , Gold and Lapis Lazuli and a bit of Gold and Diamonds.

Not what's everything should be used for? Also how do you keep from getting lost when exploring? Map or Beacon?

Use some system with torches or build structures to prevent you getting lost in a cave. Map for the overworld.

Redstone is used for setting up machines. Coal is used for fuel. Lapis Lazuli is AFAIK mainly for decoration. Iron, gold, diamond is for crafting tools/armor and so on.

rc213

Use some system with torches or build structures to prevent you getting lost in a cave. Map for the overworld.

Redstone is used for setting up machines. Coal is used for fuel. Lapis Lazuli is AFAIK mainly for decoration. Iron, gold, diamond is for crafting tools/armor and so on.

Thanks, Knocked down a wall and it turns out this thing is huge. Loaded with Coal, Iron, Lapis, Redstone, Diamonds and found a bit of Obsidian!!!

Ninja Dom

Thanks, Knocked down a wall and it turns out this thing is huge. Loaded with Coal, Iron, Lapis, Redstone, Diamonds and found a bit of Obsidian!!!

OMG!! That's very little lucky. I haven't seen any of those materials at all. Do you think every map that is randomly generated has its fair share of rare resources?

dl77

Also how do you keep from getting lost when exploring? Map or Beacon?

A good tip I heard when my son was watching a Paul Soares Jr video was to always put torches on the same side i.e. if you always place them on walls to your left you just head out with them on your right to find the exit.

Lapis is for enchanting items once you unlock the enchanting station

When's the physical version slated for release? Did they ever say?

Lapis Lazuli is AFAIK mainly for decoration. Iron, gold, diamond is for crafting tools/armor and so on.

Lapis lazuli is for enchanting, which is a worthy game element to pursue, I'd recommend reading up on it. It does great stuff. Need a diamond pickaxe to be able to mine the obsidian to make the table, and need lots of sugarcane for paper and cow leather for books and bookshelves to buff the enchanting.

Don't use gold to make equipment. It's worse than iron, on purpose, because that's how gold is as equipment in real life. It's used in at least one tool, like the watch I think, and has other minor uses here and there.

OMG!! That's very little lucky. I haven't seen any of those materials at all. Do you think every map that is randomly generated has its fair share of rare resources?

You're not finding a lot of them because you're not low enough underground. Every map definitely has guaranteed amounts of all the resources, there is at least one diamond deposit every 16x16 chunk. With the maps being 3072x3072, that's 36,864 guaranteed diamond deposits. And everything else is more plentiful than that even.

The best thing to do is go to a Y depth of 11 or 12 (look on your map) and dig in straight lines of 3 or 4 height. Move 2 spaces over, dig another line, in order to maximize the number of blocks exposed and minimize digging.

W9BDNXG.png

You can only find diamonds at that depth. You will also find redstone, lapis lazuli, gold, coal, and iron, but iron is rarer that deep.

You will run into lava at that depth, watch out! Dig carefully and be prepared to back up fast. Make an iron bucket or two, fill it with water, and pour it on the lava. If you can get it to touch source blocks it will turn to obsidian. Otherwise it will just turn to cobblestone and the lava will still be flowing behind that. You'll figure it out after some experimentation.

LaneDS

Played a bunch of split screen survival with my fiance and brother this past weekend and thought that was surprisingly wonderful. Really my only disappointment with this version of the game is the world size, which just feels tiny to me after playing so much on the PC. Aside from that, this is a great version of one of the greatest games.

OmegaFax

I hope the Switch version catches up with the other console versions soon. Most of the DLC and one of the multiplayer battle modes is still missing.

I was browsing through 4JStudio's tweets and saw a picture where they showed off the game running in portable mode on a debug console.

Compared to the final game in portable mode at the same location:

The draw distance is about the same docked as it was early on undocked. The game had a greater draw distance in portable mode while it was in development. Hopefully they'll push the draw distance back in a future update.

rc213

Why didn't anybody tell me Enderman can teleport? Bastard was in my garden and teleported as i turned to go back inside, Lucky had my enchanted diamond sword and was able to barely kill him. Found a cave while digging that has 10+ skeletons and a box with fire that was respawning them which I probably should have left to farm them.

Got pens full of Cows, Chickens and Sheep just need a second pig to have them all i think. Garden patches for Beets, Melon, Pumpkin, Sugarcane and Wheat.

Anyone know about the compass not pointing to my bed when out away from home? The red line always points away.

I have never in my life played mine craft and I never thought I would ever touch it.

But since release date, this is the only game we have been playing daily, and we cant put it down, and we haven't even touched the sides yet.

AMAZING game. so so so so happy!!!!

Really my only disappointment with this version of the game is the world size, which just feels tiny to me after playing so much on the PC.
Working on world-spanning skybridges has made me realize how big 3000 is. I can't imagine doing anything meaningful with most of it.

molnizzle

Do we have an online world one can join like we had on PC? Or are all of you playing solo?

There's no server support in any of the console versions. You can join people on your friends list while they're playing, but there always has to be a p2p host.

Yes, it sucks.

I hope the Switch version catches up with the other console versions soon. Most of the DLC and one of the multiplayer battle modes is still missing.

I was browsing through 4JStudio's tweets and saw a picture where they showed off the game running in portable mode on a debug console.

The draw distance is about the same docked as it was early on undocked. The game had a greater draw distance in portable mode while it was in development. Hopefully they'll push the draw distance back in a future update.

This could also just have been a screenshot taken in docked mode.

LaneDS

Working on world-spanning skybridges has made me realize how big 3000 is. I can't imagine doing anything meaningful with most of it.

I agree that the worlds are big (running through the pre-made Halloween one was a good way to show that off) but I really enjoyed exploring essentially limitless terrain in the PC and trying to build out maps from it, which you can't do here. I think the trade off is a fair one though, with local multiplayer and mobility options being so great.

There's no server support in any of the console versions. You can join people on your friends list while they're playing, but there always has to be a p2p host.

Yes, it sucks.

I thought Realms was like their server rental service they had rolled out on pretty much every platform now?

OmegaFax

It looks like the Switch version is getting an update along with the other console versions that should bring it up to feature parity with the others. Also ... what time is it?

Omerta

Can you NFC with another Switch? I tried with a mate today and we couldn't find an option to do it.

It was on a flight so airplane mode was on.

melos

It looks like the Switch version is getting an update along with the other console versions that should bring it up to feature parity with the others. Also ... what time is it?
Yeah from looking on YouTube and a few other minecraft news sites it looks like title update 53 is getting released for consoles today. Most of them say they included switch but I have yet to see a gameplay vid for the switch specific version running the update yet.

Edit: found the patch notes. Confirmed for switch either later today or tomorrow:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...37-minecraft-switch-edition-patch-change-logs

arimanius

Yeah from looking on YouTube and a few other minecraft news sites it looks like title update 53 is getting released for consoles today. Most of them say they included switch but I have yet to see a gameplay vid for the switch specific version running the update yet.

Edit: found the patch notes. Confirmed for switch either later today or tomorrow:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...37-minecraft-switch-edition-patch-change-logs

Awesome! no more random screenshots lol

edit* will the new items and blocks be added to existing worlds or will I need to create a new one?

Will have to have complete feature parity before they can launch console realms.

Hopefully this is them bringing it in line for an e3 release.

rc213

MCCE-4591 - Map direction icon skewed

Could this be the compass not pointing towards your bed? Compass seemed to be pointing towards my original spawn point.

Found another branch along the same original hole I dug. Third cave system found off this same hole each one bigger than the last. Ran around for about 3 hours and barely scratched the surface holy crap.

Dremorak

Banned

The portable switch is capable of reaching higher clock speeds by using more power, but I think they decided to focus on battery life, which was probably wise

Edit: Or it could even be as simple as that version wasnt 30fps and they were still optimising. Either way I wouldnt bet on being able to play the game like that

patientx

Glide maps are really enjoyable on handheld mode, wish there was a Descent like 360 degree space combat / vehicle combat game on Switch. It feels so good.

forrest

formerly nacire
Wondering if performance was tweaked

My house used to stutter pretty bad, but is seemingly much smoother now. I'm definitely thinking there are some optimizations done. I feel like the item icons are shaper /more detailed as well in docked mode, surely they would have included a resolution bump in the patch notes.

Can you NFC with another Switch? I tried with a mate today and we couldn't find an option to do it.

It was on a flight so airplane mode was on.

On the main menu I think it's Y you hit and you can pick local network instead of online, the wireless icon on the switch will show a little L beside it even, so I'm assuming that's the peer to peer connection local mode.

Edit: that offhand map slot is great, finally makes exploring less of a chore!

Just asking like someone above, when they add new stuff do we need to start new games or are the new blocks/monsters added to our current saved worlds?

arimanius

On the main menu I think it's Y you hit and you can pick local network instead of online, the wireless icon on the switch will show a little L beside it even, so I'm assuming that's the peer to peer connection local mode.

Edit: that offhand map slot is great, finally makes exploring less of a chore!

Just asking like someone above, when they add new stuff do we need to start new games or are the new blocks/monsters added to our current saved worlds?

I'm still trying to find the answer. I read a very old post saying if you have unexplored areas in your world then the new blocks will be added to that area. Seems to be a gray area on whether or not you should start a new game or not.

Top Bottom