• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

OmegaFax

How could early reviews say this game runs at a steady 60fps? Seems crazy. I'll agree it runs at 60fps most of the time, but the game definitely dips quite a bit.

I don't know how comprehensive these reviews are. From what it looks like, publications had about two days of lead time ... maybe less than a week or likely didn't get review code at all.

Performance depends on how complex the world is. If you load a flat environment and want to build structures, you're likely going to be smooth sailing at 60fps. The creative and inventory menu systems seem to have a strange amount of lag. The UI speed setting in the options menu doesn't seem to improve how the cursor moves around with a lot of items on display or in creative mode menu.

It doesn't kill the experience but from what was said Time interview with the developer about the game being unable to switch seamlessly to different resolutions from portable <-> TV mode, sounds like the game wasn't optimized and ran satisfactory enough to get out the gate.

I suspect if/when they get a handle on the hardware, performance will improve. Bomberman and Zelda are two examples that had patches that improved the performance of the game.

Yeah, I'm really not complaining about the framerate. Just pointing out how I thought it was weird that some reviews made the performance sound perfect.

It's not Vita bad. Still the best version in my opinion.

I'm trying to map out my whole world. The game has crashed at least 3 times just exploring with the map out, usually near jungles/frame drop areas. Fortunately the game autosaves often enough that I haven't lost any progress. After I load it back up, I explore the same area immediately and it doesn't crash. Just wanted to let people know - I don't think it's evidence of a shoddy port or bug-ridden release or anything. I haven't played other console versions so I don't know how common that sort of thing is for others.

It doesn't seem to happen if I quit out and go back in every hour or so. And has never happened while hanging around my normal build areas. Only when loading new unexplored chunks.

Ninja Dom

I've had a bug reoccur a few times since I downloaded Minecraft. I've had my Switch reawaken from Sleep Mode. No, really. By itself without me touching it.

LaneDS

I've had a bug reoccur a few times since I downloaded Minecraft. I've had my Switch reawaken from Sleep Mode. No, really. By itself without me touching it.

Huh, no shit, this was happening last night. I had to power the system off... never would have guessed it was due to installing Minecraft on the device, but given the last few posts, uh, seems fairly likely.

Also had the home button seemingly press itself a few times, as the main OS page would just pop up from time to time. Playing in handheld mode with the joycons attached, for reference.

bosh

Pretty crazy the differences between user reviews and site reviews. While everyone seems to enjoy it most of the technical issues are all coming form the user side.

Not personally worried by it and will still pick it up. Just oddly higher than usual difference.

sugarless

Is there really no auto jump feature in this version? I don't see it anywhere here. You have to take your thumb off the right stick every time you want to jump it's kinda annoying.

Auto-jump is only in the smartphone version due to the touch screen controls. Every other version of Minecraft uses a jump button for all jumping. Although I suppose it would be a nice QoL feature to have as an option for getting over one-block obstacles.

Auto-jump is only in the smartphone version due to the touch screen controls. Every other version of Minecraft uses a jump button for all jumping. Although I suppose it would be a nice QoL feature to have as an option for getting over one-block obstacles.

PC has it too.

OmegaFax

I had a bug where I put the system into sleep mode while playing the game and didn't get back to it until the next morning. The game semi-froze when I woke the system up and tried exiting the game.

I could still hear the menu/button sounds while stuck on the loading screen and managed to accidently load another world while stuck on the load screen. The game crashed without an error message. If I had to guess, there's some sort of memory leak when the game is put into sleep mode for an extended amount of time.

rc213

Ok so went into this semi blind and it took about an hour to get some of the stuff. Enjoying most aspects of the game until I can't across a zombie around a blind dark corner with a some tall red eyes monster that wiped the floor with me. Also what's stopping anybody from joining your game and destroying what you build and killing your animals?

P.s. Going deep into caves gets creepy with the music changes and echoes/moaning/scratches. Noped right out of there!

arimanius

Ok so went into this semi blind and it took about an hour to get some of the stuff. Enjoying most aspects of the game until I can't across a zombie around a blind dark corner with a some tall red eyes monster that wiped the floor with me. Also what's stopping anybody from joining your game and destroying what you build and killing your animals?

P.s. Going deep into caves gets creepy with the music changes and echoes/moaning/scratches. Noped right out of there!

You can set games to be offline so no one can join. You can do this every time you load your world.

Question: I want to play Binding of Isaac but don't know if this game will auto-save player 2 as well as player 1's loot. Has any tried to exit and confirm whether it saves their progress as well?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Sounds like an enderman. They aren't hostile as long as you don't attack them. Oh and don't make eye contact...

forrest

formerly nacire
First real time with Minecraft and I'm really enjoying it now that I'm getting deeper. Feels obtuse at times and being so lttp, it really feels a bit overwhelming with what I assume is feature creep over the years. Anyhow, thought I would check in as I'm having quite a bit of fun. Maybe Ill share some pics next time.

XaosWolf

The world size differs with every version / release.. but how about the depth? Is there a limit how deep we can dig?

You can dig down about 70-80 blocks from standard ground level before hitting indestructible bedrock.

In the Nether, the bedrock is also at the top and sides to maintain its caveyness.

The height/depth hasn't really changed that much since the main release: 256 blocks.

Robin64

Saw this on reddit and I'm totally going to steal it.

Because we know the map size on Switch is a nice 3x3 grid of maps, you can set up a monument in the center of your world with the full map on.

o8qo1Jc.jpg

LaneDS

Saw this on reddit and I'm totally going to steal it.

Because we know the map size on Switch is a nice 3x3 grid of maps, you can set up a monument in the center of your world with the full map on.

o8qo1Jc.jpg

What size maps are those? I've only played a little so don't really know but I'm assuming it's nine of the standard, smallest map available (I'm not even sure if you can make larger maps in the console versions).

What size maps are those? I've only played a little so don't really know but I'm assuming it's nine of the standard, smallest map available (I'm not even sure if you can make larger maps in the console versions).

In the console version, all maps are the same size. Zoom 3 on a scale from 0-4, which is 1024x1024. Also, any new maps you make are copies of existing maps for that area, and numbered the same.

So yeah, it will always be 3x3 on Switch.

LaneDS

In the console version, all maps are the same size. Zoom 3 on a scale from 0-4, which is 1024x1024. Also, any new maps you make are copies of existing maps for that area, and numbered the same.

So yeah, it will always be 3x3 on Switch.

Gotcha, thanks!

Made up a post about my map seed, Intrepid, talking about the various points of interest. Just finished fully exploring it last night. Really cool place with a good set of biomes.

Kind of awesome if you want to start off with horses, immediately north of spawn is a cave with a zombie spawner and chests containing saddles, diamond horse armor, and a name tag.

http://imgur.com/a/h9ei4

RaptorGTA

Made up a post about my map seed, Intrepid, talking about the various points of interest. Just finished fully exploring it last night. Really cool place with a good set of biomes.

Kind of awesome if you want to start off with horses, immediately north of spawn is a cave with a zombie spawner and chests containing saddles, diamond horse armor, and a name tag.

http://imgur.com/a/h9ei4

Is this a map you created or one that randomly generated that was a nice mix?

My friend code is: SW-4083-9842-7611
And username on Switch is Shayla.

I didn't see any fcs on the past couple pages so I'll try and backtrack soon and see if anyone else posted theres.

Just figured it'd be more fun to play two player survive, adventure, or creative.

I'm not playing all that much though. And I suck, will die alot, and can't create anything. So I have no idea why you would add me. >_>

I did get requests from two strangers that I played in battle/tumble mode tho. I figured if I ever see them online I'd try and join them but I need more requests to ever have a chance lol.

Btw: Try tumble if you haven't. Its legit good. So is battle but you have to practice alot or else suffer about three minutes of spectating since you died early. :p

SFenton

I've been loving this on a plane, waking up, going to bed, just quick easy bursts of game.

Really, love the whole Switch for making this super easy.

Coffinhal

The performance is really terrible. I'm building a tower and I get constant dips!! (including where turning off clouds which is the only graphic option)

And I don't even want to talk about when there is rain or snow

Marvie_3

Banned
I love this game but I hate that it broke sleep mode. So annoying.

Might as well post my FC as well:

7074-9589-1987

Feel free to add me!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yup won't play untill they fix framerate issues.
Also a-b is a nightmare.

It can be swapped but stays the same for saying ok or cancel.

What in the world....

Coffinhal

Also disappointed that texture packs are in the game but just through "trial" versions so you think you have them but in fact you have to pay for that. Game is already overpriced compared to the PC version or even the other console versions, and they can't offer a few texture packs day one. What a shame.
A rumble option would have been great too (even "not HD")

Top Bottom