• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

Guardians

Banned
Your main goal should go in some sort of order like this:

Get Shelter/grab food (killing animals, etc) > Create Bed > Create Tools/Camp/QoL stuff (ie, chests for items, crafting table, furnace, etc) > Obtain/start growing food > Capture animals to start a small farm > Begin mining [As you mine, your garden/animals will grow so you have a constant food source] > Obtain Mats and continue upgrading gear/tools/armor [At this point, you can wander around the world too and try to find overworld resources. If you have another player with you it gets much easier because you can split up and explore/mine/garden but otherwise as a single player this works best] > Eventually make portal to Nether >obtain mats for strongest weapons/enchantments, etc > eventually make End Portal or find it >
Battle Ender Dragon

I've logged hundreds of hours and sometimes don't come anywhere close to getting to The End. And of course you can always come back, just make another world to explore or start over again if you feel sluggish at some point. At any point in there when you have time, you can also choose to "beautify" your camp. For instance, stair pieces look like chairs when you set them out, you could build yourself an actual nice house out of wood or cobblestone, make paintings, etc)

kinn

Not yet. The Xbox versions is rumoured to merge with the W10 version when Scorpio launches. This will result in Realms coming to consoles, making crossplay possible.

If that's true, then it shouldn't take long for other console versions of the game to follow suit with realm support

Thanks for the info!

mandiller

I'm finding control scheme 2 is much more ergonomic for playing in handheld mode. Having to constantly squeeze ZR in control scheme 1 gets really uncomfortable real soon.

jts

...hate me...
This game kinda overwhelms me and I've yet to experience meaty gameplay (I didn't explore many of the options or even traversed a lot).

But building stuff is just awesome, my god.

AEREC

Any news on whether the framearte drops are bugs or just the way it is?

Really bummed it happens especially after all the reports/reviews that it was a locked 60fps at all times (it's even in the OP).

Blizzard

Banned
Any news on whether the framearte drops are bugs or just the way it is?

Really bummed it happens especially after all the reports/reviews that it was a locked 60fps.
I heard jungles are especially bad, but otherwise it runs well.

This game kinda overwhelms me and I've yet to experience meaty gameplay (I didn't explore many of the options or even traversed a lot).

Just wait until you find a cave. And assuming map generation works the way it used to, the cave turns out to connect...to a tunnel. And then the tunnel splits.

And then you find ore, and you've just GOT to dig all of it.

And then you fall off a cliff but survive, and there's a new tunnel to explore.

And then 2 hours later you've tried to leave breadcrumbs of torches, and you've run away from zombies, and you're totally lost deep underground in a mix of claustrophobic and cavernous chambers far away from where you started.

Mik2121

Like Blizzard said, if the caves here are the same as some you could find on the PC version, you might get lucky and find a cave system that takes you forever to clear, with tons of side paths and shit going on inside.

Personally I'm starting now by stocking up on everything I might need (sheep, cows, pigs, food, etc..) and after that I'll start finding some more unique ores and eventually build something large as my house (a castle or something). I just take it slow, since I know I'll be here for a while...

XaosWolf

Apparently there's an End Portal somewhere in the Mario world.

The Minecraft wikia page only says that its "in a stronghold underground in the south of the map" but I was searching for hours yesterday and still haven't found it.

The Nether portal is easy to find but if there's an End Portal I wanna find it. =(

jariw

Apparently there's an End Portal somewhere in the Mario world.

The Minecraft wikia page only says that its "in a stronghold underground in the south of the map" but I was searching for hours yesterday and still haven't found it.

The Nether portal is easy to find but if there's an End Portal I wanna find it. =(

This NintendoLife video might help you find the portal to the end. BTW, the whole video contains spoilers, but it also show the huge attention to details by the creators of the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtL-tNX0Bpw

Alienfan

I know it says 60fps, but has anyone built anything crazy and noticed the framerate dropping? I would build entire cities on the Xbox one version no problem, I was wondering how well the game would run on the switch

jariw

So is the framerate actually worse than the wiiu version??

Not even close! It's way way way better than the Wii U version. People are reacting to the claim that reviewers said it's locked 60 fps at all times.

I might have encountered some frame rate drops during auto save at some point, but that's about it (played about 4 hours split screen). The Wii U version didn't even have autosave in the background, IIRC.

nubbe

Not even close! It's way way way better than the Wii U version. People reacts to the claim that reviewers said it's locked 60 fps at all times.

only place I've seen it struggle so far is the tutorial. But that place has lots of stuff going on

Aalvi

I'm interested in the co-op aspect of this game so I could play with my gf who is on vacation

How does multiplayer work in terms of joining up and communicating? Voice chat? text?

arimanius

And then 2 hours later you've tried to leave breadcrumbs of torches, and you've run away from zombies, and you're totally lost deep underground in a mix of claustrophobic and cavernous chambers far away from where you started.

Then you die a horrible death and lose all that precious ore and gems you've been collecting over the past few hours. Happened twice to me yesterday. :(

by lava and the second by a witch. Had to walk away after the second death lol

ThatMattZ

Just got this for my wife for Mother's Day. I figured she might like the creation mode since she loves Animal Crossing. Are there any other DLC skin packs for the Switch right now. She likes the Mario but wants to know if there are other characters she can be.

For any new Minecraft players (is there such a thing?) remember the best tip for dungeon exploration:

Place your torches so that Left = Depth, Right = Light.

As you explore new areas, always place torches on the left wall or at least skewed toward the left side of an opening (depth). That way the moment you need out and need out fast there's no chance of you being lost in the complexity of your already explored caverns. Just follow the torches on your right to the surface (daylight, light).

This was a game changer for me back in the early days of Minecraft Alpha (in 2011!!).

jariw

Just got this for my wife for Mother's Day. I figured she might like the creation mode since she loves Animal Crossing. Are there any other DLC skin packs for the Switch right now. She likes the Mario but wants to know if there are other characters she can be.

You have 4 skin packs available without any DLC, so there should be quite a few skins to choose from already.

Steiner

Banned
So am I right in assuming you can't play with anyone unless they're on your friends list? I may need to add a few of you guys, because I need a sherpa.

molnizzle

So am I right in assuming you can't play with anyone unless they're on your friends list? I may need to add a few of you guys, because I need a sherpa.

Difficult to sherpa in this version since there's no way to communicate with people you're playing with.

Youtube is your sherpa.

Ninja Dom

After spending the entire weekend with this I think I'm getting quite bored. I've made a place and it's nice enough. But there isn't enough exciting things happening with the game. During the day I roam around, seeing sheep, pigs & cows. And at night I work on my residence. That's all there is to it.

taoofjord

After spending the entire weekend with this I think I'm getting quite bored. I've made a place and it's nice enough. But there isn't enough exciting things happening with the game. During the day I roam around, seeing sheep, pigs & cows. And at night I work on my residence. That's all there is to it.

That's sort of the meat of survival mode but I believe there's a ton of things to find aside from caves and villages. Keep exploring and crafting. I haven't really played a lot of Minecraft since it first came out but they've added a ridiculous amount of stuff to the game since then.

sugarless

Try packing a few essentials, making a boat, and striking out for lands unknown across the sea! Built shelters as you go, and mark them with torches so you have a trail of little lights across the landscape. Something that says "I was here". Venture off your first map tile or die and lose your map and you might get lost and then have to work hard to find your way home and feel familiar relief when you see your original house. There are all kinds of journeys to be had.

For any new Minecraft players (is there such a thing?) remember the best tip for dungeon exploration:

Place your torches so that Left = Depth, Right = Light.

As you explore new areas, always place torches on the left wall or at least skewed toward the left side of an opening (depth). That way the moment you need out and need out fast there's no chance of you being lost in the complexity of your already explored caverns. Just follow the torches on your right to the surface (daylight, light).

This was a game changer for me back in the early days of Minecraft Alpha (in 2011!!).

I've been making arrows with stone to help me, but this is so simple and faster.

molnizzle

You built a Nether portal yet? I just went to The Nether for the first time and it's kind of mind blowing.

Also Ender Dragon but I haven't even looked into how to go about building an End portal yet. Or whatever you use to get there.

Ninja Dom

Try packing a few essentials, making a boat, and striking out for lands unknown across the sea! Built shelters as you go, and mark them with torches so you have a trail of little lights across the landscape. Something that says "I was here". Venture off your first map tile or die and lose your map and you might get lost and then have to work hard to find your way home and feel familiar relief when you see your original house. There are all kinds of journeys to be had.

You built a Nether portal yet? I just went to The Nether for the first time and it's kind of mind blowing.

Also Ender Dragon but I haven't even looked into how to go about building an End portal yet. Or whatever you use to get there.

Okay, these are some of the things I can add to my list of things to do. Thanks. Right now I'm trying to kill enough cows to make leather for armour, so I'm protected for battles.

Dynasty

Okay, these are some of the things I can add to my list of things to do. Thanks. Right now I'm trying to kill enough cows to make leather for armour, so I'm protected for battles.

No point in going for full leather armour, go straight for Iron I say.

Also you are going to need leather for books, for higher enchantment levels.
Also, are you just killing cows you find or have you made a farm?

Maybe my first Minecraft game. Got my daughter the iOS game and she likes that. Unplayable controls for me.

This is pretty appealing.

Here are some goals, some things I've been working on myself:

- Punch tall grass and get seeds
- Make a hoe, find some dirt near water and till it, plant seeds
- Wait for wheat to grow
- Build a wooden fence with a gate, find a cow and hold wheat in front of it to lead it back to your fenced in area
- Get two cows, then feed them both wheat to make them breed
- Get a large farm of cows going this way
- Thin the herd every once in a while, getting meat and leather
- Find some sugarcane and plant it next to water, continually harvest the top sections of it for more
- Turn sugarcane into paper
- Use leather and paper to make books
- Make bookshelves

- Find iron ore, mine it, make iron pick
- Deep underground, find diamonds, mine with iron pick
- Use 3 diamonds to make diamond pick
- Use diamond pick to mine obsidian
- Use 2 diamonds, 6 obsidian, 1 book to make an enchantment table
- Surround the enchantment table with bookshelves to power it up as explained here
- Start enchanting stuff using your experience levels and lapis lazuli to make awesome weapons and tools! Like Fortune to get lots of diamonds per tile you mine!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Tried spelunking? Caves can be a lot of fun, especially as you get more stuff and start worrying about whether you're lost or not.

Tried spelunking? Caves can be a lot of fun, especially as you get more stuff and start worrying about whether your're lost or not.

Minecraft is the only game that has caused me shortness of breath and panic attacks because I was lost underground. Truly an amazing experience.

So I don't know if anyone explored the options for the game from the Switch home menu and this seems to be the first time I've seen anyone talk about it. (If some reviewer did point them to me pls)

First off, the game grants no Gold Coins for my Nintendo. You can only get them from the "Game Card version". There's also an option to update via the Internet, or "Via Local Users" which is the first game I've ever heard of doing this. It says "You can exchange update data with local users. This feature will be added in a future system update"

So that seems to be something Nintendo plans to do at some point. Kinda interesting.

There's also an option to "archive software", basically it looks like you can wipe the info data for your game and just have save stuff and the home menu icon. You can download the actual game data again. Looks like this would be if you were transferring the system stuff maybe?
All of this is standard for every downloaded game. You get Gold Coins automatically with download software that's why the only option in the menu for games are for the retail "Game Card" versions (which gives significantly less coins).

Stuff I've been working on:
heaj2HS.png

yI0W0VK.png

Sunset through the tower doorway:
gMP0WIG.png

Steiner

Banned
Difficult to sherpa in this version since there's no way to communicate with people you're playing with.

Youtube is your sherpa.
More than anything I'm just getting a little bored doing things on my own. I'd like to share a world with a few people.

wwm0nkey

So does anyone know if it's possible to share levels? The only way I remember doing it on 360 was by putting some on a USB from my PC and transferring them over. Anyway to see switch save files?

Oregano

Downloaded the game earlier today to have a relaxing Switch game. I've played it before on 360 with my brother in creative mode but I figured I'd try survival mode and well.... I don't think it's for me. I just want to build stuff.

I guess that's why they include the options though, I definitely appreciate it.

molnizzle

More than anything I'm just getting a little bored doing things on my own. I'd like to share a world with a few people.

Yeah... that's where playing on a server would be nice. On any of the consoles (including Switch) you can only join a friend's game and play while they're online. No way to have a persistent server that people can drop in and drop out of like on PC.

Kebiinu

Banned
How do you randomly join other player worlds? I was playing survival last night, someone came in, killed me, and I exited shortly after. He wasn't in my friends list, so how was that feasible? Can I do the same?

Top Bottom