• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

kinn

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to play multiplayer with other systems? ie like how ios, android and windows 10 versions can play together.

Guardians

Banned
I'm playing Minecraft for the first time now on the Nintendo Switch :) Right now I'm in the Super Mario World and going just around and look at all the great Nintendo figurines, but I don't know what I have to do now :D

Veitsev

So, I assume others are having issues with the scaling of the screen size in docked mode? It's cutting off the button prompts under the inventory on my ks8000.

Shouldn't be happening. Make sure Fit to Screen is set to on under Picture Size settings. Sometimes I find on my KS8000 this gets reset/acts wonky for whatever reason.

AEREC

I'm playing Minecraft for the first time now on the Nintendo Switch :) Right now I'm in the Super Mario World and going just around and look at all the great Nintendo figurines, but I don't know what I have to do now :D

Just build stuff. That particular world is probably not the best to start in.

Can you tap or drag to move materials into the crafting area? Combined with 'classic' crafting mode that could be really nice

Nope. Tried both.

Honestly, I switched over to classic crafting for the review, but I recently rocked the new crafting mode for my latest game and I don't miss classic.

Sometimes I just wanna build stuff quickly y'all.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Shouldn't be happening. Make sure Fit to Screen is set to on under Picture Size settings. Sometimes I find on my KS8000 this gets reset/acts wonky for whatever reason.

Gotcha, will check later. Thanks!

molnizzle

Ok :) Is there no main goal or something, and where should I start?

Goal is what you make it. There are 2 bosses in different dimensions (I think, never done them) if you want something to work towards. Focus first on getting a shelter with a bed, then find a cave and start mining. Work towards trying to build an enchantment station and go from there.

That's what I'm doing at least.

Ok :) Is there no main goal or something, and where should I start?

I got this from a Reddit post:

I absolutely love Minecraft and have been playing off and on for a few years. To have the best experience, I have found that you need to go into each playthrough will a set objective. Since there is no "correct" way to play Minecraft, an objective gives me focus in what I want to do.

For example, I recommend starting out with the goal to defeat the Ender Dragon (the first official boss that was created). You can research online what you need to do to get there. You shouldn't feel rushed (take your time to enjoy the game) but it's good to have an objective so you can know what to do when you feel lost.

To help you discover some mini-objectives, I recommend watching some good Minecraft youtube videos that can provide guidance. Paul Soares' "Survive and Thrive" series is a great start on the basics of the game. I was introduced to Minecraft by watching Peanut Butter Gamer's Minecraft Hardcore series. This has less instructions but gives a clear idea of how to play the game and what you need to do.

Seems like good advice I am following

yo is there a way to make Obsidian mining go faster?

Do you just want to have obsidian blocks or do you specifically want to build something out of obsidian? If so, it's probably faster to "cast" it with lava and then pour water on top. Every scoop of lava is an obsidian block, though it takes a bunch of buckets.

So almost 24 hours after launch, buy or pass? I'm stuck on this or Puyo Puyo Tetris
Just get both.

$60 for two games that basically have infinite replay value isn't bad at all. I'm in the 'need to stop' boat myself. I've bought like 30 games in the two months the console has been out!

But Thumper, Disgaea 5 and Ultra Street Fighter 2 are so close! Not to mention Pocket Rumble and Stardew Valley likely being pretty soon too. In a way, I'm lucky most of the games coming out are $10-$20 indie titles. I'd being completely broke otherwise.

molnizzle

Do you just want to have obsidian blocks or do you specifically want to build something out of obsidian? If so, it's probably faster to "cast" it with lava and then pour water on top. Every scoop of lava is an obsidian block, though it takes a bunch of buckets.

Just need it to build stuff. I tried pouring water on lava in my mines but it just turned to cobblestone. So now I'm hunting for places where lava and water naturally meet and then plugging the water source. Regarding speed, I was asking about the actual mining itself. Takes forever to wear down one block.

Symphonic

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to play multiplayer with other systems? ie like how ios, android and windows 10 versions can play together.

Would like to know this as well. I know it was planned for Realms -- possible yet?

I'm not sure how good that map is for sustainability in survival mode. IMO, the real fun is in creating a new, randomly generated world and setting the mode to survival. You'll be living off your wits the first few days (gathering resources, building shelter), and from there, the game does lay out a few abstract goals. You might have to do a little digging online to get an idea of what to do, but it's worth it. Survival mode is great fun.

Omerta

Played this for two hours in bed while the wife and kids were asleep and woke up absolutely exhausted...

Played for another hour after breakfast in handheld mode and started getting hand cramps...

Switched to docked mode with the Pro controller and played for another hour...

Send help

Played this for two hours in bed while the wife and kids were asleep and woke up absolutely exhausted...

Played for another hour after breakfast in handheld mode and started getting hand cramps...

Switched to docked mode with the Pro controller and played for another hour...

Send help

Qw5GVaD.gif

Wow the tutorial in this game is so bad, I need to get an amount of certain wood blocks, and it locked me out of getting them in that tiny area. Guess I'm gonna check youtube for a tutorial

Wow the tutorial in this game is so bad, I need to get an amount of certain wood blocks, and it locked me out of getting them in that tiny area. Guess I'm gonna check youtube for a tutorial
Yeah, I'm all the way ina snow area and found a bed there and I don't even have a weapon or nothing. Its fun being lost in the world tho. But the tutorial messages in survival kept dissapearing on me and in creative I have no idea what some stuff does like the redstones. I am honesly surprised how popular this game is...or rather I know why its so popular but am shocked how another game that had better qol adjustments hasn't come and stolen its thunder.

Despite all that I am really enjoying my time, but will probably look stuff up on YT soon. No rewind feature in creative like in Super Mario Maker or LittleBigPlanet has to be the strangest thing here.

I'm also liking the battle mode more, check it out! I just need to get the weapons first. >:)

Mik2121

Question. Is there a limit for how many animals you can have inside a pen? Similarly, is there a limit to how many working pens you can have? I'm starting to have quite a few sheep and cows and I thought I'd rather separate them onto two different pens, and eventually the same for pigs and other animals.

Nia

Played this with my friends tonight. We had a good time. Though we would like to get rid of that annoying cross hair. Is it possible? I couldn't see any option after digging through all the settings.

jariw

Question. Is there a limit for how many animals you can have inside a pen? Similarly, is there a limit to how many working pens you can have? I'm starting to have quite a few sheep and cows and I thought I'd rather separate them onto two different pens, and eventually the same for pigs and other animals.

I don't think there is any such limit. Areas were animals are collected tend to get very crowded.

The only animal limit I'm aware of in the console version is that you can only tame 16 wolves.

Caayn

Not yet. The Xbox versions is rumoured to merge with the W10 version when Scorpio launches. This will result in Realms coming to consoles, making crossplay possible.

If that's true, then it shouldn't take long for other console versions of the game to follow suit with realm support

Bought this, since I think that Switch is the best platform for Minecraft. Infinite replayability, too. First time I am giving this game a good chance, so wish me luck!

jariw

Yeah I found myself naturally trying to slightly move the aiming reticle as if there were gyro controls.

You can tell that everyone decided that they needed to push this out ASAP. I'm sure it will come later.

Do they other console versions have Gyro support? If not, don't count on it.

Macka

I have my game set on Survival with normal difficulty, and I haven't seen a monster in an hour of play. I've found caverns underground with no mobs spawning. Is that normal?

Ninja Dom

I have my game set on Survival with normal difficulty, and I haven't seen a monster in an hour of play. I've found caverns underground with no mobs spawning. Is that normal?

I said exactly the same thing a few pages back.

Don't worry. The monsters will come.

Just need it to build stuff. I tried pouring water on lava in my mines but it just turned to cobblestone. So now I'm hunting for places where lava and water naturally meet and then plugging the water source. Regarding speed, I was asking about the actual mining itself. Takes forever to wear down one block.

Yeah, lava that isn't actual source blocks just becomes cobblestone. Need individual bucketfuls to turn into obsidian with water.

Guardians

Banned
Goal is what you make it. There are 2 bosses in different dimensions (I think, never done them) if you want something to work towards. Focus first on getting a shelter with a bed, then find a cave and start mining. Work towards trying to build an enchantment station and go from there.

That's what I'm doing at least.

Ok :)

This is the first console edition i'm interested in even though i played the game to death on pc. I did not think waiting for the physical release would be so hard all of a sudden.

Top Bottom