• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

ParityBit

So I have never-ever played a Minecraft game.

I know ... I know.

Anyways, if I wanted to try (I have a 3 1/2 year old who will soon be into it I am sure), is the Switch a good version to give it a go? I am not even sure if I will like it.

Ninja Dom

So I have never-ever played a Minecraft game.

I know ... I know.

Anyways, if I wanted to try (I have a 3 1/2 year old who will soon be into it I am sure), is the Switch a good version to give it a go? I am not even sure if I will like it.

Switch will be the best version to try due to the portability, if you don't mind handing your kid your Switch.

I'm playing for the very first time an I'm a bit confused as to what to do. I'd say there's a bit of a high learning curve. Right now I'm playing Survival mode and just walking around the landscape. I'm not having 'fun' yet.

Ninja Dom

In Survival mode, when it gets to night time, what do you do? It's too dark to do anything. Also, how comes no monsters come out at night?

I've only ever played on PS4. I started in survival, got pissed about how the cool shit I built got blown up, went to creative, loved it for a while, then got bored.

Just downloaded on Switch earlier, and I think I've come full circle on wanting to do survival. Plus I've learned a lot, and I'm now easily seeing the appeal of survival after having played god for a bit. Very excited to start playing again.

Mik2121

In Survival mode, when it gets to night time, what do you do? It's too dark to do anything. Also, how comes no monsters come out at night?

Monster DO come out at night. Check your difficulty level, maybe depending on that the amount varies.
Also at night you can go mining for example. When I used to play online on the GAF server for PC back in the day, during the nights all of us would start mining and create a dwarf mine style complex of underground tunnels and large spaces.

Ninja Dom

Monster DO come out at night. Check your difficulty level, maybe depending on that the amount varies.
Also at night you can go mining for example. When I used to play online on the GAF server for PC back in the day, during the nights all of us would start mining and create a dwarf mine style complex of underground tunnels and large spaces.

How do you not get lost in the darkness? I guess I need to figure out how to get charcoal or coal to make a torch.

Patrick S.

Banned
How do you not get lost in the darkness? I guess I need to figure out how to get charcoal or coal to make a torch.

Build a furnace and put in some wood as fuel and also some wood as ingredient. You'll make charcoal that way.

Charcoal.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Game just randomly crashed on my while picking up some stone blocks to put in the furnace, hope that's not going to be a common occurrence.

Mik2121

As you said and everybody else confirmed, yes, you need to get your hands on some coal or charcoal asap (ideally first night, if not at least second night). Place torches around your shelter and either mine during the night or wait until it's daytime again.

Patrick S.

Banned
As you said and everybody else confirmed, yes, you need to get your hands on some coal or charcoal asap (ideally first night, if not at least second night). Place torches around your shelter and either mine during the night or wait until it's daytime again.

Or even better, grab some wool (from killing a few sheep) and wood, build a bed, and whenever night starts, ZZZZ, skip the night :) And yes, you can carry the bed around with you!

Jessensor

Switch will be the best version to try due to the portability, if you don't mind handing your kid your Switch.

I'm playing for the very first time an I'm a bit confused as to what to do. I'd say there's a bit of a high learning curve. Right now I'm playing Survival mode and just walking around the landscape. I'm not having 'fun' yet.

I think you need to focus less on exploration at first, and more on establishing a safe home base.

Just pick a spot that looks good, and focus on building and crafting the basics. You will find plenty of awesome things, even if you stay in a small area. My first objective is usally to craft a bed as it resets your spawn point after the first time you sleep in it. After that you can explore the world and underworld to your hearts content.

Didn't get *too* far into my game last night, but I did find a really cool natural spire built of stone, with a waterfall in my world. Naturally, I carved out a portion and built a sweet house inside of the spire. It honestly looks pretty legit for a Minecraft novice like myself. Also, the Mario theme is really fun. I've been using it exclusively, using Yoshi as my player skin.

Mik2121

I would love to use the Mario theme but with things like furnaces and whatnot that resemble more the original. As they are, some are impossible to tell what the hell they are :/

molnizzle

I would love to use the Mario theme but with things like furnaces and whatnot that resemble more the original. As they are, some are impossible to tell what the hell they are :/

The music is what kills it for me. Too bright and cheerful for Minecraft, doesn't jive with my brain during a long term session. Too bad.

We were talking earlier about the 3000x3000, if that would be enough space. When you calculate it out and it's a ~6 minute walk center to edge, ~11 minutes full length, it doesn't sound like much...but when you're actually playing and traveling that distance? Yeah these worlds are big enough for most anything.

Transitioning from Breath of the Wild to Minecraft is quite easy for me surprisingly. I adapted to the controls easily and I have a bigger need to explore the entire world than ever before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The music is what kills it for me. Too bright and cheerful for Minecraft, doesn't jive with my brain during a long term session. Too bad.

Can you not use standard minecraft music with a Mario theme pack? I love the melancholic normal music

For those of you who are new to the Mario world, don't forget to visit the Nether!

I'm really curious as to how many crazy secrets are hidden around the Mario maps. There don't seem to be any guides online for the Wii U version (I assume it's the same map).

Stuff like, what if you get up inside Peach's head, or Luigi's head, or crack open the flying Boo, or dig behind the dummy doors in Peach's castle, etc.

So I played about 30 mins before sleep last night. First time playing Minecraft. I was kind of overwhelmed and seriously confused with the tutorial, there's so much to learn and remember that it was a bit intimidating lol. What the hell I thought this was a "kids" game?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would build a basic shelter, pop a bed in there, and sleep during nights.

Well sure but first you have to find sheep which may take time. First priority IMO is light so you can at least mine while locked in at night

Is survival one life only or will they add a hardcore mode?

If you die you respawn at spawn but without any items. If you run back to where you died you can collect the items you dropped

The java version has a hardcore mode but not the console version. Only one life

Hey guys, interested in buying this but was wondering about the multiplayer. I have a few friends with Switch consoles but we're not always around at the same time, if we create an online world can we all hop in, edit and the like as we want or is it less open than that?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I played about 30 mins before sleep last night. First time playing Minecraft. I was kind of overwhelmed and seriously confused with the tutorial, there's so much to learn and remember that it was a bit intimidating lol. What the hell I thought this was a "kids" game?

The game has evolved a TON from it's original inception. So kids who have been playing it for years don't see it as anything but "par for the course".

molnizzle

Add me: SW-2522-6520-7336

Feel free to jump in whenever you see me playing, I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Hey guys, interested in buying this but was wondering about the multiplayer. I have a few friends with Switch consoles but we're not always around at the same time, if we create an online world can we all hop in, edit and the like as we want or is it less open than that?

"Host" has to be online. Basically you can join each others worlds but not at different times. Realms (servers) were announced for console at E3 last year but so far have yet to materialize. Some day... maybe.

Kurt

minecraft without a mouse is just frustrating to me..

pc for the win

I'm not a fan of first person games & dual analog.
But for this game it's ok to have it. Mouse is always a lot better.

Maybe if the right join con is a touchpad instead of a stick, i think fps gaming would me more accurate :
http://imgur.com/23SyMjZ
(just a quick dirty edit, but could be improved much)

EDarkness

Any gyro or touchscreen support?

I don't know about touch screen, but I know gyro isn't in. I hope they add it in at some point. I would really appreciate being able to point and move the camera at the same time like it was in the Wii days. Dual analog really sucks.

Other than that, the game is solid. I had a lot of fun messing around with this new area I wanted to build. Started a Creative Mode game and started working on building a cool looking place. Not sure what I want to do in the long term, but it's something that will come to me as time goes on.

I do want to know how to go back to normal gravity and movement once I start flying around. I want to just walk on the ground, but I'm always hovering now.

I just wish it had an option for gyro assisted aiming! It would be so natural to tilt the controller up and down to look up and down. I was trying to do it subconsciously last night to glance down at the map.

I do want to know how to go back to normal gravity and movement once I start flying around. I want to just walk on the ground, but I'm always hovering now.

Click in the right stick, I believe.

I have tried so many times to get into this game and am compelled to try one more time. Just the thought that I can start and stop on the fly is somewhat appealing. I've dabbled with the creative mode, but that's about it.

For those on the fence about getting it, what drove you to get it and how are you playing that makes it appealing and fun?

I'm not a fan of first person games & dual analog.
But for this game it's ok to have it. Mouse is always a lot better.

Maybe if the right join con is a touchpad instead of a stick, i think fps gaming would me more accurate :

Need no touchpad, they can use pointer/gyro aiming.

EDarkness

I just wish it had an option for gyro assisted aiming! It would be so natural to tilt the controller up and down to look up and down. I was trying to do it subconsciously last night to glance down at the map.

Definitely.

Click in the right stick, I believe.

All this does is bring my character back down to the ground, but doesn't fix how gravity affects him. So push "A" to go up and click the right stick down to move down. When I started the map for the first time, gravity was on and I was moving around the land normally, but once I started flying around, I can't go back to moving around normally. I'm always hovering and if I go up (use stairs or just move up terrain) I stay that way. I have to manually press the right stick down to go back down. It makes testing stairs I'm adding into my place feel unnatural. I guess I'll have to do some research on how to put gravity back the way it was.

First time Minecraft player here. Played for an hour or two last night and today it's all I can think about. I think I may finally be figuring out what all the fuss is about.

Cyanity

Banned
I'm so conflicted on this. On the one hand, Minecraft on the go, but on the other, Forza Horizon 3 Hotwheels edition...

Grr, I would totally love to get this for some portable Minecraft if worlds were (practically) infinite.

A world with boarders just kills Minecraft for me. I want to be able to sail off over the ocean to discover brand new lands.

Top Bottom