• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I spent a couple hours this morning exploring another part of the server. Everything continues to impress and amaze me. I put together a collection of screenshots if you're curious where I visited. The album can be found here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskSv3nGu

And here are a few of my favorites:

Okay, awesome pictures! Two questions:

1. How do I get my Minecraft looking like that?
2. What kind of framerates do you get with it looking like that?

Fuchsdh

Okay, awesome pictures! Two questions:

1. How do I get my Minecraft looking like that?
2. What kind of framerates do you get with it looking like that?

Need shaders. I use Sildur's Shaders because they're the only ones (to my knowledge) that work on Mac. With the newest versions they plop right into optifine so downloading them and dragging them into the right folder is all you need to do, then you turn them on via the shaders button in settings.

Frame rates are heavily variable. On OS X with a W3680 and a Radeon 7950 I get stable 60fps@720p with the Medium shaders, and more like a stable 30@1080p most other places. Spawn chugs hard though, even with the draw distance down. Haven't tried it on my W10 install to see if it's any better over there, or if SEUS or the other shaders are lighter.

Mengy

New stuff in the snapshot:

tpT8HB7.png

We now get a true black block (time to rip up all the streets in Gaffopolis!) concrete, terra cotta pattern blocks, and a savable hot bar.

Sadly, doesn't look like we get concrete slabs or stairs to finally fulfill one's dream of complete color building, but still a lot of neat stuff.

Woah, those new blocks look fantastic! Shame about no slabs or stairs, but maybe they will come later. And finally a true black block! I’m glad I have all those chests full of gravel now, lol.

Decided to log in on my snow day. Realized I've had a lot of fun creating on the server so I also donated. Maybe one day I'll be an old man showing my grandkids stupid holes I have dug.

Roche

Logged into the Server for the first time in a long time, was strange seeing the Island Fort I built a long long time ago still standing. I have no idea where I'm even located, just glad the place is still running.

Getting the error,

java.lang.NullPointerException

when I try and connect to the server. Anyone else have this or is it just me? The new launcher seems to have messed some stuff up because I can't get my skin to show up in single player and it fails to upload it. Not sure if that's related.

Ranger X

And do you guys have sound troubles since there's the new launcher?
Sometimes music doesn't stop when I quit a game and when I go back in the game there's double music!

Mengy

And do you guys have sound troubles since there's the new launcher?
Sometimes music doesn't stop when I quit a game and when I go back in the game there's double music!

That happens to me from time to time, been a thing since two updates ago I believe. It's annoying, but it doesn't happen often, and if you stay out of the main menu it never happens. :)

Ranger X

That happens to me from time to time, been a thing since two updates ago I believe. It's annoying, but it doesn't happen often, and if you stay out of the main menu it never happens. :)

Right now is sucks for me 'cause I am trying to find a nice seed I wanna start a new world in. Am always in and out lol

Am trying to find some hard seed to start in. I found one that isn't bad. You start on islands farrrrrr from the continent. You write "gouverneur" in the seed (mean "Governor" in french).

zer0das

Banned
I think I'll try to start playing again, but honestly it's not quite the same without Rikkui popping out of the shadows and murdering me every half hour or so.

Fuchsdh

I think I'll try to start playing again, but honestly it's not quite the same without Rikkui popping out of the shadows and murdering me every half hour or so.

I think he switched over to murdering AbbyNormalBrain. Your neck of the woods has some new neighbors by the way :)

zer0das

Banned
I think he switched over to murdering AbbyNormalBrain. Your neck of the woods has some new neighbors by the way :)

Wow, was pretty impressed about what popped up while I was gone! Of course, leave your visitor center a half complete mess and someone builds almost within sight of it. >_> Guess I'll have to fix that first. Although I guess you can't really see the visitor center, just the airship which looks awesome. :>

Ranger X

Wasn't Rikkui the guy that also popped at a couple of different places and building giant snowmen?

I remember when there suddendly was a giant snowmen besides my slime farm. Was so cool I made a house inside lol

2015-03-07_12.03.11_zpsli3tk7nt.png

Getting the error,

java.lang.NullPointerException

when I try and connect to the server. Anyone else have this or is it just me? The new launcher seems to have messed some stuff up because I can't get my skin to show up in single player and it fails to upload it. Not sure if that's related.
I figured out the problem here.

It seems the new launcher for some reason accessed an old account name that I had before I joined and since the name was different I couldn't log in. Selecting "Switch account" and re-logging in fixes the problem in case anyone else runs into this.

Mengy

I'm using Optifine + SEUS v11 shaders. With a GTX970 and i7 6700k I'm able to get 60fps.

So yesterday I installed Magic Launcher and Optifine for the first time ever, and wow, Optifine is pretty neat. Lots of interesting options. It certainly does seem to make the game run better, makes me wonder why Mojang can't just do that for the game itself, lol. Also I love the seamless glass option, that should be in the game itself too.

Ranger X

So yesterday I installed Magic Launcher and Optifine for the first time ever, and wow, Optifine is pretty neat. Lots of interesting options. It certainly does seem to make the game run better, makes me wonder why Mojang can't just do that for the game itself, lol. Also I love the seamless glass option, that should be in the game itself too.

What is Magic Launcher?
Do I need that for Optifine? I think am gonna try Optifine.

EDIT:
Piece of shit doesn't start when I double click on the JAR file. Windows ask me how I want to open it. **annoyed as fuck**.
The "complex" method they explain to install it seems outdated and unclear. I am not able to do what they tell to do.
Can someone help ??

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Optifine doesn't need Magic Launcher. It installs itself as a separate version when you open it with the Java Launcher app which you then select from the dropdown of installed versions.

Don't know about Magic Launcher.

Ranger X

ok here goes....

- I installed Java Launcher: It did ask for Java JDK
- I installed Java JDK

Now I can start Java Launcher (can't figure out how to run a jar with that)
I double click on a jar or select Java Launcher as the program to run it: nothing happens.

Can someone knowing how all of this work in great details help me please?

I thought I'd use Optifine tonight.... lol

Ranger X

Did your OS install not have Java? Doesn't MC come with a version of Java so it can run itself?

Good question, well, Minecraft indeed runs itself. Its Win10 and I usually use Chrome so I never mess around with Java. I installed it anyways so right now I have it. Can't open/run a jar for shit.

Fuchsdh

Good question, well, Minecraft indeed runs itself. Its Win10 and I usually use Chrome so I never mess around with Java. I installed it anyways so right now I have it. Can't open/run a jar for shit.

Huh. I dunno. I just doubleclick the JAR and it opens fine on MacOS.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Usually JRE is enough to run java apps. JDK is JRE + some tools (like compiler).
I doubt Minecraft makes Java installation for you anyway.
Minecraft is supposed to use its own internal Java engine separate from the one you'd install (Or not) on your system for other things. Basically so you can still play the game without having Java installed wholesale. A peace of mind thing.

Supposed to. I haven't checked into it since they made that announcement a few years ago. I remember Jeb tweeting that the "next version" of MC would include its own Java so people who want to keep it off their systems can still play. Basically it's a private secure Java built into MC that you can't use to run other Java stuff. (And thus can't be accidentally attacked if a security hole is found in normal Java) Also you don't have to deal with Java trying to slip the Yahoo! toolbar into your browser while updating.

Is playing online with friends still a pain in the ass actually? I remember having to install Hamachi and do crazy stuff to play online with my buddies. It's been years though (2013?). Has it become more plug and play for idiots like me?

Fuchsdh

Is playing online with friends still a pain in the ass actually? I remember having to install Hamachi and do crazy stuff to play online with my buddies. It's been years though (2013?). Has it become more plug and play for idiots like me?

Playing on PC? All you have to do is plug in server IPs. On console you just need to have your friends online to join them.

WeTeHa

Soo... I recently started playing this again for the millionth time, this time on a realms server with 2 friends. We're kind of building a nice (semi)-automatic farm for everything that can be farmed.

What we built so far:

Fully automatic
- Carrot farm
- Potato farm
- beetroot farm
- wheat farm
- bread farm
- sugar cane
- pumpkin
- melons
- mushrooms

Semi automatic
- nether wart
- cocoa beans
- potion brewing station

Mob farms
- pig
- sheep
- chicken
- cow
- switchable regular mob drop/exp farm
- slime
- witch
- pigmen
- enderman
- iron golem
- blaze

What we want to build
- Ghast farm
- tree farm
- wither skeleton farm
- water temple fish farm
- squid farm
- rabbit farm

Are we missing anything that can be farmed?
Not sure if we'll build a sand/gravel/concrete farm as that requires block duplication...

We're currently building a villager breeder (finished) with a sorting system for the produced villagers followed by a transportation system for good villagers to our trading room. My biggest problem right now is that I built a sorting system using multiple storage sites to get around the entity limit, but I built it using fence gates - and apparently baby villagers can drop through closed fence gates. Ugh, need to figure out a way around that without rebuilding everything.
We're also working on a train station and automatic item sorting system.

It's a shame some things don't work on a server, or at least not as well as in a single player world. I tried building an exact timing slime block elevator, but it only works when you have a solid connection. When you have a poor connection you can't make it to the top.

Fuchsdh

Are we missing anything that can be farmed?
Not sure if we'll build a sand/gravel/concrete farm as that requires block duplication...
Not to my knowledge. The sand/gravel stuff might be more useful now with concrete though.

It's a shame some things don't work on a server, or at least not as well as in a single player world. I tried building an exact timing slime block elevator, but it only works when you have a solid connection. When you have a poor connection you can't make it to the top.

Yeah, I've generally used MumboJumbo's contraptions as models for my own just because he tends to build stuff that's forgiving of issues on servers.

Ark

Hey there! Long time no see :)

I've jumped back on the server to build Arkyoto again, just a quick question though:

How do I move the Tardis teleportation system? I'd like to move the one at Arkyoto because it's in the way of an expansion I'm making. Alternatively, is it possible to make nodes myself?

EDIT: Fuchs has done it :)

Ark

For for three posts in a row, but no one else is posting ;)

The server the last couple of days has been almost unplayable for me even on my own. My internet is totally fine, 12ms ping, 30 down and 10 up. I'm getting massive rubberbanding. I'm talking like losing 1-2 seconds of work each time, and it's happening roughly every 5-10 seconds.

Last night I was on at the same time as Fuchs for a bit and it was even worse for me then, I really hope I'm not the only one suffering this.

Mengy

I've honestly not been on the server in a while. I did start a new single player world though, and I've been playing that now and then lately.

-Minsc-

For for three posts in a row, but no one else is posting ;)

The server the last couple of days has been almost unplayable for me even on my own. My internet is totally fine, 12ms ping, 30 down and 10 up. I'm getting massive rubberbanding. I'm talking like losing 1-2 seconds of work each time, and it's happening roughly every 5-10 seconds.

Last night I was on at the same time as Fuchs for a bit and it was even worse for me then, I really hope I'm not the only one suffering this.

This may be a sign my experiment failed. I sent off a support ticket requesting to switch back to the old server plan.

Fuchsdh

I've been playing Story Mode :p

I actually quite enjoyed it. It's obviously not something for the person who doesn't like the Telltale formula, but I thought it did an excellent job of bringing a sense of realism to the world of Minecraft, as well as pathos.

My least favorite element was your lunkhead companion, but luckily he disappears entirely after the first third of the episode run.

Ranger X

Wow, parrots look pretty nice. And woah, they are finally implementing a crafting recipe list into the game!!!! O_O

Its an awesome feature but doesn't prevent me from opening a minecraft wiki while I play since it will never answer questions like "ok what did I need again to craft that?"
It seems to show only what you can craft with what you have.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Its an awesome feature but doesn't prevent me from opening a minecraft wiki while I play since it will never answer questions like "ok what did I need again to craft that?"
It seems to show only what you can craft with what you have.
Yeah, it'll still be useful, but we really need the game to record everything you've crafted and show you the recipe for already discovered crafts in this list so you know what you need and how to make it. The Wiki lives for another few months.

Of course if it's as flakey at remembering these recipes as it is with remembering your achievements (Which erase themselves if you change computers or reinstall the game. Fuck. This stuff should be saved to your Minecraft.net account data like your skin. Seriously, Mojang. You have Microsoft money now. Store this stuff online!) then it'll be useless. Save that data somewhere it can't just be erased. Sync it with your account login.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, it'll still be useful, but we really need the game to record everything you've crafted and show you the recipe for already discovered crafts in this list so you know what you need and how to make it. The Wiki lives for another few months.

Of course if it's as flakey at remembering these recipes as it is with remembering your achievements (Which erase themselves if you change computers or reinstall the game. Fuck. This stuff should be saved to your Minecraft.net account data like your skin. Seriously, Mojang. You have Microsoft money now. Store this stuff online!) then it'll be useless. Save that data somewhere it can't just be erased. Sync it with your account login.

I've never really gotten the point of the Java achievements. There's no real service record behind it and it's on a server-by-server basis too.

Then again, the stupid 360 version keeps adding achievements so I can't unplug my 360 any time soon.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've never really gotten the point of the Java achievements. There's no real service record behind it and it's on a server-by-server basis too.

Then again, the stupid 360 version keeps adding achievements so I can't unplug my 360 any time soon.
Yeah, I don't care about Achievements on Minecraft either. I just hate that they reset all the time and you see them pop up again and again. Fuck you, I know I got wood. I've done it a billion times.

I'm pretty sure it also forgets your "stats" information. This stuff should be synced to the cloud like the skin texture. It's dumb that it isn't. It should follow you from computer to computer when you log on and accumulate as a total across all computers.

And once you get that infrastructure in place, put in a proper recipe remembering and lookup system.

thenexus6

I wonder because I am unable to join or even see any online games. Maybe because I am not running the latest version of windows perhaps?

Top Bottom