• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS3 releasing on Blu-Ray disc on May 14th

Owen Hill said:
As at least 1.5 million of you already know, Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition has been available to download from PSN since the end of last year. Welcome to the Minecraft family, friends of Sony!

Good numbers.

Vashetti

Banned
Did anyone catch this minor sales update in the blog post?:

Hello everyone! Owen from Mojang here. As at least 1.5 million of you already know, Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition has been available to download from PSN since the end of last year. Welcome to the Minecraft family, friends of Sony!

Edit: lol beaten

Because the 360 version on DVD has sold a fuckton in the UK and never leaves the charts.
I think it went over your head. Sony and by extension you noted in your thread title that Minecraft comes to PS3 on a Blu-Ray disc indicating a special occurrence. I too wonder why this game gets released on Blu-Ray while many other PS3 games get released on DVD or even CD ;) Just a funny thing of Sony to point out/highlight instead of using the word retail or just disc.

reminder

This was posted on the official PlayStation UK facebook site. Physical PS4 and Vita release confirmed.

10254011_787115667979718_7306404602821576161_n.jpg

Can you dig it? Minecraft is coming on disc to PS3 on 16th May and soon to PS Vita and PS4

Vashetti

Banned
Chris Owen was right about lots of announcements this week

I am drowning in Vita games. I feel sorry for people who don't appreciate this platform.

NekoFever

I think it went over your head. Sony and by extension you noted in your thread title that Minecraft comes to PS3 on a Blu-Ray disc indicating a special occurrence. I too wonder why this game gets released on Blu-Ray while many other PS3 games get released on DVD or even CD ;) Just a funny thing of Sony to point out/highlight instead of using the word retail or just disc.

It's branding. No other reason not to just call it a disc release or physical release.

It's always irked me when people picked up this habit from the marketing.

RaikuHebi

Banned
This was posted on the official PlayStation UK facebook site. Physical PS4 and Vita release confirmed.

Vita is saved.

99% of the time we get the better cover. Poor US :(

They got bonus art cards though.

It's branding. No other reason not to just call it a disc release or physical release.

It's always irked me when people picked up this habit from the marketing.

It's not really branding though is it. It's actually called a Blu-Ray disc.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Sony need to make sure they point out that the Vita version is the FULL CONSOLE version, so therefore it would be the first truly full portable Minecraft experience, better than the iOS/Android versions and not forgetting to point out how comfortable playing with buttons and sticks is.

I don't play Minecraft (I might start with the Vita edition though) but I have a little cousin who does. He begged his parents for a 360 to play Minecraft even though his older brother has a PS3 (he also plays it on iPad)...I imagine if this physical release had already been out he wouldn't have associated Minecraft with 360.

Sony need to make sure they point out that the Vita version is the FULL CONSOLE version, so therefore it would be the first truly full portable Minecraft experience, better than the iOS/Android versions and not forgetting to point out how comfortable playing with buttons and sticks is.

What's an elegant way of saying "CAVERNS MOFUCKA." Does Pocket Edition have caverns yet? Remember that was one of my grievances with it, asides from tiny tiny world size and god awful controls.

NekoFever

It's not really branding though is it. It's actually called a Blu-Ray disc.

Of course it's branding. It's a conscious choice to refer to them as Blu-rays in official publications rather than the more generic and equally accurate "discs" or whatever. No one talks about 360 games coming out on DVD, PS2 games as DVDs, PS1 games as CDs, etc. Although admittedly older consoles didn't have to make the digital/physical distinction.

Think back to the early days of the PS3 when Sony was using it to establish Blu-ray and it's pretty obvious why it's done.

MYE

...fuck. I'm thinking of getting it because of the box art alone lol

I don't even care for Minecraft

RaikuHebi

Banned
Of course it's branding. It's a conscious choice to refer to them as Blu-rays in official publications rather than the more generic and equally accurate "discs" or whatever. No one talks about 360 games coming out on DVD, PS2 games as DVDs, PS1 games as CDs, etc. Although admittedly older consoles didn't have to make the digital/physical distinction.

Think back to the early days of the PS3 when Sony was using it to establish Blu-ray and it's pretty obvious why it's done.

Good point.

BigDug13

Why does the game release on PS3 warrant a Blu-Ray Disc?

Because that's the anti-piracy route that was chosen since day one to never have a game on DVD. Even if the game is only like 150mb.

As far as why a physical release? Because despite the claims of crazy persons here who assume the world is ditching physical, it is still a money making opportunity. And as long as refusing to make a physical copy of a game leaves money on the table, publishers will continue to print them discs.

It's even possible to buy a physical install disc for the f2p PC game Planetside 2. Money on the table is money on the table and companies will want to spread their releases as wide as possible to get as many buyers as possible. That means physical is here to stay for a LONG time.

Theecliff

Banned
YES. Been wanting to jump on the bandwagon for ages but been holding out for the PS4 version since it was announced. Seems like physical copy it might be!

B.O.O.M

Hopefully sony does the smart thing here and do a minecraft vita bundle. Seems like a no brainer especially since they are publishing it

Damaniel

Banned
Oh, please let the physical Vita release be real....

Sony should have bundled the new Vita model with Minecraft. Honestly, that has a much better chance of saving the Vita than a half-hearted port of Borderlands 2 does.

Flandy

Good on Sony for choosing to publish this. Now they need to make a Vita bundle with Minecraft

To think I paid less than $5 for this game back when it was first released and today want my money back.

That's pretty interesting since the game was £10 during Alpha.

Oh, please let the physical Vita release be real....

Sony should have bundled the new Vita model with Minecraft. Honestly, that has a much better chance of saving the Vita than a half-hearted port of Borderlands 2 does.

Dont worry. Vita retail releases are so rare these days that when they do happen its guaranteed to get a hardware bundle.

boingball

If Sony are smart they'll release physical copies for Vita and PS4.

A Vita bundle would be terrific at the right price.

Lol, Sony and smart? Minecraft for Vita, digital and retail and bundled should have been released last year, or even better the year before (at that point it would have made a real difference in sales).

Hatchtag

Banned
Minecraft Vita has the potential to be a major system seller. Problem is, I don't know if Sony will tap that potential :/.

Also, I wonder if this will be a situation where the PS4 version via remote play beats the hell out of the normal Vita version.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Minecraft Vita has the potential to be a major system seller. Problem is, I don't know if Sony will tap that potential :/.

Also, I wonder if this will be a situation where the PS4 version via remote play beats the hell out of the normal Vita version.

People need to understand that it's not all up to Sony as much as Mojang.

Sony should bundle it with the new Vita, and...actually promote it.

I'm not sure how many people want to play Minecraft on a portable as opposed to on PC/Console, but they need to try.

Top Bottom