• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Story Mode Trailer (Telltale Games)

GavinUK86

That was awful.

It seems way too serious. It should be more like Tales from the Borderlands in tone not The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

Great voice cast though.

Whoever wrote Dave Fennoy's lines should be shot.

I showed my 9yr old brother and he was really excited for it. Minecaft is pretty much his favorite thing to watch, toys to play with, etc. too much negativity here, I think this is going to sell well with the right marketing and the talent behind it looks pretty strong.

Pizza

Telltale's games aren't for me personally, but I do like hearing about the various stories they put out.

This looks like a telltale game aimed at kid mine craft fans, they even took the animation style that you see all over YouTube fan animations that kids already dig.

I mean, one of the characters' archetype is "griefer" and he walks into a room exclaiming how he wants to steal stuff. I'd expect something in the realm of the Lego Movie tone-wise.

Idk, seems like a smart move for them to make, and the Mine craft: Story Mode branding will hype the hell out of it for kids

Eggbok

I'm not sure why people think that you can't tell a story with Minecraft

Telling a story with games like Minecraft is more perfect than people realize, the fact that there's no story makes it a huge canvas to work with, machinima is a perfect example of that

I know you can tell a story with Minecraft, I've seen a lot of good videos. But the way it's being done is what's so strange to me.

Javaman

Whether GAF likes it or not, the kids will love it and it will sell an insane amount of copies. I reckon you'll be able to go into the environments in creative mode like the mash up packs. Many people would probably buy it for that alone.

Most kids are probably just going to watch other people play it on youtube, just like the original game.

Take on Minecraft = no new engine to create

Also who the hell is Jesse? Where is Steve!?

Steve is gonna show up as the Episode 1 cliffhanger but then in Episode 4 his eye turn white and it was Herobrine all along and kidnaps someo e (probably Ashley Johnson's chsracter, let's be honest) and in the end Jesse "kills" Herobrine and rescinds his former rogueish tendancies.

But Herobrine cannot die :O

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised! I expected a lot worse but this looks and sounds like a lot of fun. Going to get it later down the road.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I like Telltale games, but that is beyond ridiculous.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm not sure why people think that you can't tell a story with Minecraft

Telling a story with games like Minecraft is more perfect than people realize, the fact that there's no story makes it a huge canvas to work with, machinima is a perfect example of that
Sure, but it also means that the story, characters, background, and everything are entirely down to Telltale. There is nothing really to pull from.

Pachael

Looks like it's aping the tone of Lego games and failing.

Whilst Telltale have come a long way, their narrative/choice driven adventure template on their set of licensed properties (Wolf, Minecraft, TWD, GoT, Borderlands) is almost akin to the Lego action/adventure template that TT Games (old Traveller's Tales)/WB have for their set of licensed properties (Batman, Marvel, Harry Potter, Star Wars)

Still, the way they vary it up between franchises makes things somewhat interesting at least.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm just a bitter old Minecraft player who can't believe it has ended up in the hands of Telltale and Microsoft.

You're not forced to buy the Telltale game, it doesn't mean you need to shit on it for people who will enjoy it like my son. Clearly this isn't aimed at bitter old Minecraft players so you're safe to ignore it.

Microsoft has done nothing to your Minecraft. As far as I remember people were complaining about the slowness of updates before Microsoft bought Mojang.

That's just too bad and gringeworthy.

The only redeeming quality is that they have possibility to make a real adventure without being hand-held by laws of the world like TWD or GoT.

I think a lot of what people love about Minecraft isn't really going to be captured in a Telltale-style game. They seem totally opposed, actually. Minecraft is all about freedom and creativity without any sort of guiding narrative whatsoever.

We'll see, though.

While that's true, it's really cool seeing an actual story with focused narrative set in a world I love.

This looks fucking great to me

I wonder if people will see the name and think this is a new mode coming to Minecraft for free.

Anyways, seems.. interesting, I guess haha.

I like Telltale and I like Minecraft but this just doesn't do anything for me. It looks really lame and ridiculous.

Shame too, Patton Oswalt in a Telltale game that wasn't Minecraft could have been phenomenal.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
People (including me) laughed at Tales from the Borderlands too, and it's fantastic.

I'll give this a shot, or at least wait for reviews before talking shit.

diamount

Banned
This looks like an animated short you get on youtube, looks really weird to me.

Given the short material, what exactly were you expecting? Telltale games shine when it's not using a relaistic franchise, like Game of Thrones.. god that game looks like shit, but things like Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us the comic-book style suits it.. since that is what its based on.

I do wonder how they are going to do anything good with a story when a game has nothing established, all their other games had established lore.. well, not sure about Borderlands but haven't played it yet.

You're not forced to buy the Telltale game, it doesn't mean you need to shit on it for people who will enjoy it like my son. Clearly this isn't aimed at bitter old Minecraft players so you're safe to ignore it.

Microsoft has done nothing to your Minecraft. As far as I remember people were complaining about the slowness of updates before Microsoft bought Mojang.

Exactly, I really don't understand what most here are complaining about because it doesn't seem like a lot of you are really into Minecraft anyway. It's almost like non hardcore Elder scrolls players being disappointed in no multiplayer.

I completely understand being upset at telltale for thinking that some of their games so far lack quality and such and that they have way too much on their plate though. I also wish that they would focus or hire more people.

However, my son and our neighbors kids have been flipping out about MCSM since it's reveal and haven't calmed down about it yet. If that is anything to go by then this is going to be a huge success and I can't wait to experience it with my son.

Top Bottom