• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Story Mode Trailer (Telltale Games)

This sounds fucking amazing, like it's not taking itself too seriously so it might really pull of an aesthetic. All it's missing is David Cross

CloudWolf

I don't know where people are getting the 'it doesn't take itself to seriously' and 'looks funny' from. Because either every joke in the trailer completely flew by me or this trailer wasn't funny at all.

Anyway, Patton Oswalt is cool, but this looks and sounds like a cash-grab.

Zomba13

Seemed a lot more... serious than I thought it'd be. Like, I didn't expect them to have to go on a quest and there to be evil and magic and stuff. Like I thought it'd follow Steve? on his "quest". Like starting out building things, surviving, meeting other characters, mining, finding something and getting a reason to go The End.

Like, it just seems to be a made up story with no real connection to Minecraft. "You're giving me a sword?" "No, you're going to craft it!" seems the extent. Like with the Lego movie, I didn't think it'd work but it worked really well because they went in hard on the whole "you can build anything" angle. You had Lego Batman show up, Old Lego space sets, specific themed worlds and the element of us playing with Lego making the story as we go etc.

This seems like "We want to tell a magic fantasy story but don't have the IP to do that so we're telling it in Minecraft" rather than a story that is minecraft, that uses it's lego like appeal to tell a unique, fun story about your only limit being your own imagination.

From the looks it doesn't even dig into the stupid fan hoaxes like Herobrine. Like, there is very little actual Minecraft lore and the "ending" doesn't make sense at all but this could have take from that and the stuff fans have done with the game. Like people stream MC all the time and have servers full of builds. The story could have taken the player, Steve? on a magical journey through worlds with his friends as they work together to mine/craft the ultimate build or get the stuff together to tackle The End and slay the dragon terrorising a testificate village.

I dunno, from the looks of it it really seems like a generic fantasy story told in a blocky world with blocky people rather than something special and magical like what happened with The Lego Movie.

I don't know where people are getting the 'it doesn't take itself to seriously' and 'looks funny' from. Because either every joke in the trailer completely flew by me or this trailer wasn't funny at all.

Right, this trailer looks like a deathly serious "This is the end of the world and you're the only one who can stop it" kind of story. Which isn't very exciting.

Nzyme32

My immediate feeling is to dismiss this, but knowing that tales of the borderlands actually has been pretty amazing to this point when borderlands games generally have shit story and characters, does leave some hope for this.

I feel like people are making too many snap judgments based on one trailer that is there just to set up an overall introduction to the story.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Eh, it misses on everything that makes Minecraft a good game. It's just a linear episodic story game in the Minecraft world.

Pass for me, but I'm sure lots of people will enjoy it.

spinz

you know what would be potentially cool, is an actual "story mode" that supplies official voice acting and story quests into a game of minecraft.
Thats not what this is though.
It will be popular nevertheless for reasons i have trouble processing. Its like the lego craze... where it starts to have nothing to do with what legos are and people just like the... aesthetic... of them.

TalonJH

I can't believe it, but that looks way better than I expected. I figured TTG could pull it off but you know how it is.

I don't play Minecraft, but this looks great I really like Tales from the Borderlands. That is one insanely talented voice cast, too o_O

Flintty

Most kids are probably just going to watch other people play it on youtube, just like the original game.

I read this whilst two out of three of my kids currently building a Steven Universe world on Xbox 360. I know my kids aren't 'most kids' but they and their friends can't get enough of Minecraft - long after I got bored of it.

Walpurgis

Banned
Can Telltale handle this graphical intensity though?

giphy.gif

SoulUnison

Banned
Man that is a weirdly star-studded cast for something that looks so incredibly "young" and awkward.

I went into the concept with a clear head, but it's just so stilted and dumbed-down.
Maybe it's just for the sake of the trailer or the first episode, but it's like the character are just mobile exposition machines trying to work "the rules of Minecraft" into every bit of dialog.
Then there's the way they're trying to make the whole seem seem "epic" but it just falls totally flat.

I cringed through the whole trailer.

Top Bottom