• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Switch details: 60fps, 13x bigger worlds than WiiU, WiiU world transfers

CONCH0BAR

I think he was curious if in local multiplayer, each player can play with a single Joy-Con.

I can't imagine this being playable with just one Joycon, given how much you need camera control and extra buttons.

I'm of the same mind that it would be very difficult, but in my opinion, it doesn't have to be optimal or even good; merely operable. Something like:

L-stick - movement
L-click - crouch
A/B/X/Y - camera
SR - break blocks
SL - place blocks
+/- - crafting/inventory (this is where they'd have to get crafty with new menu interfaces/options)
Joy-Con upward flick - Jump (maybe instead use auto-jump like Pocket Edition)

Brenal

I think he was curious if in local multiplayer, each player can play with a single Joy-Con.

I'm of the same mind that it would be very difficult, but in my opinion, it doesn't have to be optimal or even good; merely operable. Something like:

L-stick - movement
L-click - crouch
A/B/X/Y - camera
SR - break blocks
SL - place blocks
+/- - crafting/inventory (this is where they'd have to get crafty with new menu interfaces/options)
They will most likely tie the camera to the gyro control.

CONCH0BAR

They will most likely tie the camera to the gyro control.

That is certainly an option as well. They'd need to make use of a Splatoon-esque reset camera button to make it fully functional, but it would be a more intuitive implementation that retains the button layouts of the other controllers and consoles.

L-stick - movement
L-click - crouch
A/B/X/Y - camera
SR - break blocks
SL - place blocks

a Pro Controller is a must at this point every important game supports it
but buying 4 of those is going to be rough but not as rough as buying extra joycons

gamz

This should sell like hot cakes on the Switch. Sounds like a solid port!

I'm sure I'll be buying it, yet again, once my kid picks one up.

I've honestly probably bought Minecraft about 4-5 times?

molnizzle

I sometimes get the urge to fuck around with Minecraft in bed but can't stand using touchscreen controls.

This'll be great.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why don't the console versions have infinite(ish) worlds? I don't get it. RAM limitations is BS, since you only keep the immediate surroundings in memory at any time (unless they've​ done it really stupidly).

SkyOdin

As someone who has never played Minecraft, would this have local multiplayer, or is multiplayer relegated to online/wireless only?

Unicorn

How does this compare feature/content wise to PC version (not Windows store version)?

I'm not well versed in how the various ports are in comparison to the OG PC client.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've had Minecraft on Mac, PS3, Xbox 360, iOS, Android.

My daughter's just grew up with it as they started off by watching Minecraft Dad YouTube videos (then Captain Sparkles, DanTDM and wayy too many others).

They've never taken to the console versions. I've setup our own home server, installed countless mods at various times and they play on the big Minecraft servers (Mineplex, Arkham, HyPixel, etc). Since I've never gotten them to take an interest on the console versions, is there something I'm missing or is it really that console versions are a pale imitation of the experience on PC's?

The biggest difference is persistent servers. If you had your own family server (I did the same) then it's difficult to compete with everyone being able to jump in, explore/build and that state is saved for others to play alongside.

I think the console versions you can only play LAN when someone else is playing, so that can make multiplayer tricky.

Do the console versions support realms? That would at least allow for drop in multiplayer without others being active, but would mean you have to rent a server

Edit: seems not. You can rent a server for iPhone, iPad, win 10, android (or the original pc/Mac versions) but not console which seems weird. So 'pocket edition' has persistent servers and infinite worlds

baconcow

Why? World size is dependant on ram, last gen was gimped by 512mb

Is this really true? Minecraft: Pocket Edition was updated (in 2014, 0.9.0 update) to have infinite sized worlds and it runs on hardware with lower specifications than the Switch. For example, it runs on the Google Pixel C, which has nearly identical specifications as the Switch.

How does this compare feature/content wise to PC version (not Windows store version)?

I'm not well versed in how the various ports are in comparison to the OG PC client.

same gameplay, world sizes you can play with are different

but Classic mode is the real OG client which was a pretty small map

It's a Certification and other system regulations reason to restrict the world size.

Minecraft used to become Glitch World after a certain distance from the origin as it begins to get slammed by the effects of floating-point imprecision and not having enough RAM left - IIRC in later versions of Minecraft post-2011, they ended up capping the (still huge) world size to just before it would reach this point, using the same methods as the console versions' world cap.

And even then, the save files for these worlds, even capped, become insanely bloated (I remember a server that had a 2-terabyte filesize world going according to its admin) - But pretty much every console has a certification requirement on acceptable save file sizes if not an outright hard-cap on them, be it due to limited storage size or even to prevent potential Arbitrary Code Execution exploits as improbable as they are on modern systems (Though the 3DS had its fair share of ACE exploits).

The Switch (and PS4/Xbone) definitely have the power to handle unlimited worlds in some capacity, but those regulations mixed with 4J's 60FPS target for all Minecraft ports they do is going to keep world sizes capped for at least another console gen.

EDIT:

Apparently the Floating-Point issues when you go too far still occurs in the Unlimited World mode of Pocket Edition.

Thraktor

How does that explain mobile tho? Those have less ram. Pocket edition has infinite worlds too.

On PC and mobile an application can allocate as much memory as it wants, potentially far more than is available in RAM, and the OS's memory manager will simply push the least-used data onto the HDD/flash/SSD. By contrast, on consoles you have direct access to the RAM itself, without having to worry about the OS getting in the way (so, if you want to access data from memory, you know that it's actually in RAM ~50ns away, rather than on a spinning disc potentially 5,000,000ns away). This means you can't allocate more memory that you have RAM, though, and have to put a lot more effort into managing the memory yourself. In this case it likely allows the Minecraft devs to get better and more consistent performance on consoles, but at the cost of theoretically infinite sized worlds.

I wish they would make good use of the touch screen, but I'm not holding my breath.
Aren't console Minecrafts pretty much lowest common denominator, rather than taking advantage of unique features? Wii U Gamepad was never used in any interesting way.
CertifiedFP said:
And even then, the save files for these worlds, even capped, become insanely bloated (I remember a server that had a 2-terabyte filesize world going according to its admin) - But pretty much every console has a certification requirement on acceptable save file sizes if not an outright hard-cap on them, be it due to limited storage size or even to prevent potential Arbitrary Code Execution exploits as improbable as they are on modern systems (Though the 3DS had its fair share of ACE exploits).
I am curious: what kind of sizes are the PS4/Xbone version saves?

The save I put the most time into on PC I don't think passed 50 megabytes, but for as much as I stayed in a relatively small area my wanderings probably would've fit in a PS3/X360/Wii U map.

so much talk about infinite worlds on mobile, I've been looking for the history of this on youtube watching videos of fans trying to explain this. And so far what I have seen are claims that the mobile ports do not have the same heavy assets as the console versions. Does not look as good. Can anyone confirm that the mobile ports are not as 'pretty'?

this video here has the same RAM issue claims
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ3EyKnqhAk

even older video of this talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfCtVnQ_GOE

So infinite worlds is something fans seem to get heated about overtime we get a new platform added they measure the sizes and infinite worlds as the peak feature

I wish some gaming media would get a clear answer to why infinite worlds is mobile and pc exclusive like Realms are.

Minecraft Pocket Edition vs PS4 vs Consoles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoaS9rhhSqU

PE vs PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YboEMoAzEXc

not sure if we can find a real reason why consoles are lacking the PE infinite worlds

Seik

Banned
Good to see that it won't be a lame Wii U rehash, sounds like they did put some time into it to make it great!

I actually never played Minecraft, but this could be a first, it's never too late!

Screen only does 720

He asked for docked. :p

FyreWulff

Why can't these console versions have infinite worlds? :(

Totally destroys the appeal of the game IMO.

Limited RAM ceiling and limited storage space, plus first party requirements

Also on PC it's actually not possible to have a true infinite world just due to the space required to store a full world (which is rougly 72 petabytes, or 75,497,472 gigabytes..)

So since you really can'd undo world chunk generation in Minecraft, it's better to set hard limits so the maximum file size of any potential world is known, instead of forcing gamers to kill a world they've played for years because it's 47GB.

Limited RAM ceiling and limited storage space, plus first party requirements

Also on PC it's actually not possible to have a true infinite world just due to the space required to store a full world (which is rougly 72 petabytes, or 75,497,472 gigabytes..)

how did you get this number?

if you have an end number that is not really infinite is it?

FyreWulff

how did you get this number?

if you have an end number that is not really infinite is it?

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/qu...verage-disk-storage-size-of-a-minecraft-chunk

then multiply by the maximum number of chunks that can exist in a world, which is 14,062,500,000,000 , for multiple various programming reasons.

But while it's not mathematically infinite, it's functionally infinite, because to walk around a maximum size world at default speed would take more time than the earth has existed

anyway, world size won't be a factor in sales, the 360 version sold kerjillions with it's small world.

And so far what I have seen are claims that the mobile ports do not have the same heavy assets as the console versions. Does not look as good. Can anyone confirm that the mobile ports are not as 'pretty'?
I haven't spent much time with the mobile version but... heavy assets? Everything is extremely simple polygonally and texturally in all versions, it's just that there can so much of it interacting simultaneously.

It's never been truly infinite. It's just been so big no reasonable person would have ever hit the edge. I believe they reduced it further in later versions.

It's still bigger than the surface of the Earth IIRC (ignoring Far Lands).

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/qu...verage-disk-storage-size-of-a-minecraft-chunk

then multiply by the maximum number of chunks that can exist in a world, which is 14,062,500,000,000 , for multiple various programming reasons.

But while it's not mathematically infinite, it's functionally infinite, because to walk around a maximum size world at default speed would take more time than the earth has existed

anyway, world size won't be a factor in sales, the 360 version sold kerjillions with it's small world.

that is pretty damn impressive

Piggus

could have kept it 720P for the extra world size and 60fps boost

just asked on twitter

I encourage you guys to ask the developers more questions
https://twitter.com/4JStudios

Again, world size has nothing to do with framerate. The game renders the same draw distance regardless of world size.

The main benefit of having a very large world size is an entire community can occupy it. Hundreds of people can contribute to it and make something really amazing. The console versions are only good for a small group of people before it becomes too restricted.

As someone who logged 500+ hours in Minecraft Wii U after initially scoffing at the idea of Minecraft, I'm incredibly pleased with this.

Bigger worlds? That's awesome. I've explored some big areas on Wii U (and built large ones too) but the jump from Wii U to PC was a bit disorientating because of how big they are. I think a bit more space will be nice.

Faster fps is nice, not something I was expecting and certainly not a deal breaker either way.

The biggest source of joy here is transferring Wii U worlds. Those 500+ hours have been from carefully crafting massively awesome things and just toiling away at them for long periods of time without realizing it. To be able to continue with them on the Switch will be nice, especially since I haven't plugged my Wii U in since I got a Switch.

NimbusD

L-stick - movement
L-click - crouch
A/B/X/Y - camera
SR - break blocks
SL - place blocks

abxy=camera? you high, man?

lol, camera would be gyro, or button+gyro.

Top Bottom