• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Switch details: 60fps, 13x bigger worlds than WiiU, WiiU world transfers

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Because they like money?

Also wasn't it multiplat before they acquired it anyway?

All of the above.

At a time when ppl complain about multi platform games turning exclusive (timed or platform) you should be glad MS didnt make it exclusive.

Like someone in a Scorpio thread talking about imaging a Minecraft 2 being Scorpio, Win 10 exclusive...like ...what??

I think it will likely be good for switch sales, but calling it the definitive version of the game is a stretch when the ps4 and xbox one versions have larger map sizes and the PC version has infinite maps, modding, realms, and most importantly command blocks.

That being said, it would be amazing if this version one day got command blocks and realms. Having a version of actual full-on Minecraft on the go with real controls would be nice.

Yea pretty sure the PC version is the definitive version, lol. Just for the mods alone. With probably the mobile version next.

This will be like the 5th system I buy this game on. For anyone who hasn't tried it yet (for whatever reason) I couldn't reccomened it any more. One of my all-time favorite games.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
They emphasized that they wanted to get the game fully caught up with the other console versions, so I assume it'll get realms.

I think it seems like a good possibility, especially if they can get online stuff working. Seems like the next step if they can but I don't know much about Switch's online infrastructure. If Nintendo isn't sharing what their online service will be with devs it'd probably be more difficult to expect it, especially if Nintendo forces them to do it through their app thing or something.

At least there seems to be no indication that it won't have Realms then. I have the Xbox One version of Minecraft, but Minecraft on Switch seems brilliant. I hope Microsoft supports it, as there is a ton to benefit for Microsoft if Minecraft does well on everything it releases on.

jariw

So wonder why Microsoft has gone 3rd party with this particular game. They should release Goldeneye by 4J on the Switch just to make an extra buck.

AFAIK, it was part of the deal when Microsoft bought Mojang. It should still be treated as a Mojang product.

FyreWulff

At least there seems to be no indication that it won't have Realms then. I have the Xbox One version of Minecraft, but Minecraft on Switch seems brilliant. I hope Microsoft supports it, as there is a ton to benefit for Microsoft if Minecraft does well on everything it releases on.

They've been pretty good about support, they're still updating the PS3 and 360 versions and even the Wii U version maintains parity

AFAIK, it was part of the deal when Microsoft bought Mojang. It should still be treated as a Mojang product.

Ironically the reason we have MC on Nintendo platforms is due to Microsoft buying Mojang and wanting it ported there.

They've been pretty good about support, they're still updating the PS3 and 360 versions and even the Wii U version maintains parity

Ironically the reason we have MC on Nintendo platforms is due to Microsoft buying Mojang and wanting it ported there.
Yep, if it were for Notch, Minecraft would've never come to WiiU

SalvaPot

All of the above.

At a time when ppl complain about multi platform games turning exclusive (timed or platform) you should be glad MS didnt make it exclusive.

Like someone in a Scorpio thread talking about imaging a Minecraft 2 being Scorpio, Win 10 exclusive...like ...what??

Yea pretty sure the PC version is the definitive version, lol. Just for the mods alone. With probably the mobile version next.

I can totally see Minecraft 2 be a timed exclusive for the MS machines, for at least 3 months. Ports would come a bit later.

Cerium

This annoys me.

‘Minecraft' Nintendo Switch Worlds Will Be Way Smaller Than PS4, Xbox One
By Christopher Groux On 04/18/17 AT 4:08 PM

Minecraft is coming to Nintendo Switch next month, but, according to a stream recap on NeoGAF, the hybrid build of the game won't be identical to the versions found on PS4 and Xbox One. World size will be restricted on Switch, but framerate will stay the same.

As detailed in the post, worlds in Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will be cut down to ”medium size." This classification equates to a buildable area spanning 3072x3072 blocks. On PS4 and Xbox One, the largest world size is 5120x5120 blocks. That essentially means the canvas available to Switch users will be about 40 percent smaller than the current-gen console standard.That being said, it's 13 percent bigger than what was allocated for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U.
How are you going to turn my thread into an article and fuck it up this badly? How fam?

Zedark

This annoys me.

How are you going to turn my thread into an article and fuck it up this badly? How fam?

OMG lol, thats's one fuck up alright. It's really funny: all reports on this are based on this thread, meaning NO ONE took 15 minutes out of their schedule to properly watch and cover this stream. Shameful, tbh.

Bluth54

So wonder why Microsoft has gone 3rd party with this particular game. They should release Goldeneye by 4J on the Switch just to make an extra buck.

They want to get everyone addicted to Minecraft and then announce Minecraft 2 exclusively for Xbox One and Windows 10 store.

Mine craft ends up being close to the best selling game on every platform it's released on. If there was any game that should be ported to pretty much every device it's the one. It's incredible, no matter how many platforms it is released on it's a huge success every time.

FyreWulff

I don't think Microsoft would ever make this an exclusive. They paid 2 billion dollars for it, and there wasn't the perception of it being an Xbox thing.

also I imagine for MC2, if it were a thing, they'd want "LARGEST GAME LAUNCH FUCKING EVER" so it'll probably be day and date on every platform that has customers

Ted

Probably a silly question...

When OP and others talk of nnnn x nnnn sized worlds, is this referencing blocks or chunks?

KHlover

Banned
And reading too apparently, since it's literally laid out in the OP.
I gave the guy too much credit. Made the assumption he'd have done some math and fucked up, but even then you'd end up with way more than 13%. Guy is just too dumb to steal.

Zedark

I gave the guy too much credit. Made the assumption he'd have done some math and fucked up, but even then you'd end up with way more than 13%. Guy is just too dumb to steal.

And that's pretty damning, considering the low bar you gave him already.

FyreWulff

world size comparison

from

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/..._on_nintendo_switch_60fps_13x_bigger/dgghu04/

qPr1Bwvl.jpg

I don't think Microsoft would ever make this an exclusive. They paid 2 billion dollars for it, and there wasn't the perception of it being an Xbox thing.

also I imagine for MC2, if it were a thing, they'd want "LARGEST GAME LAUNCH FUCKING EVER" so it'll probably be day and date on every platform that has customers

Mine craft alone is basically more profitable than the whole Xbox brand. They should be expanding it as much as possible. It's weird to say because they need exclusive SW but minecraft has gotten so big I'm not sure they can go back to that.

I never played Minecraft. Can I think of this game as a big Sandbox only or is there some kind of structure/missions/quests? I liked Dragon Quest Builders a lot.

patientx

Parshias7

Guys I just heard that the worlds in the Switch version are only 13% of the size of the Wii U version??? Why is this one so small???

FyreWulff

So is it correct to say if you illustrated mobile in that picture, you would not even be able to see the blue square for the PS4/Xbox One any more? Pretty amazing if there's legitimately an infinite amount of space for world building on a device that apps typically use well under 512MB of RAM with.

Mobile also doesn't have first party console space restriction requirements. You'd just expect people to buy a bigger SD card when their world would start filling it up.

Also have to remember that on console, all worlds are player hosted, so you have to transfer the world to anyone that joins, which bumps up against the bandwidth TCs for consoles. And since it's 4 player splitscreen you have to actively load chunks for 4 players, no matter where in the world they want to go, on the same device, which complicates things.

edit: also IIRC there's still a stability issue with large worlds where the player or the world start jumping/shaking a bit because the rounding artifacts for the coordinates you're at start getting bigger, which is why a lot of servers have the world boundaries mod installed to keep people from generating unstable world maps

bomblord1

Banned
I've ran a multiplayer Minecraft Server for a while and I put a cap on the world size of 1024x1024.

Any bigger and people would never interact with each other given our somewhat (<20) limited player base. And that felt huge it took me a good 20-30 minutes to fully map it out using creative mode.

Also on PC it's actually not possible to have a true infinite world just due to the space required to store a full world (which is rougly 72 petabytes, or 75,497,472 gigabytes..)

So since you really can'd undo world chunk generation in Minecraft, it's better to set hard limits so the maximum file size of any potential world is known, instead of forcing gamers to kill a world they've played for years because it's 47GB.

Yeah okay, but a world doesn't have to be truly infinite for it to be "infinite" for all intents and purposes. No one is going to reach (what used to be) the Farlands during normal gameplay.

Set a cap at however many blocks it takes to reach, say, a 10GB world, and no one is going to notice if the world is technically finite.

shiyrley

Banned
I think worlds not being infinite has more to do with the fact that this way they can generate the whole world in one go instead of generating it while playing, which would probably make it harder for the game to run at constant 60 FPS like it does.

That being said I don't know why they can't allow super large worlds and just have a warning that it will take a long time to generate it, and then just stream the already generated world as if it was an open world game

Also, a REALLY cool solution to this problem would be to allow to have portals that warp you between worlds. That way if you get bored of your world you can "move" to a differential world and have both world connected via a portal that you can cross anytime. This would basically solve everything

I never played Minecraft. Can I think of this game as a big Sandbox only or is there some kind of structure/missions/quests? I liked Dragon Quest Builders a lot.

I'm gonna post my thing I posted on reddit since it looks like a lot of people are planning on trying it out (which is exciting!)

I saw it explained today as "Virtual legos". Basically the game has two modes (or I guess 3 now)

"Survival" mode is the basic mode of the game. You're flung into the world with nothing and it's up to you to build some sort of establishment so you can survive. You must chop down trees (at first with your fists, then you can create a crafting table, make tools like an axe, etc) and then you can either choose to explore the map (and potentially find Villages with people to trade with/gain resources from like their crops, etc) or go down and explore the vast underground world which can have rocks and gemstones which can upgrade your gear (ie, stone, iron, gold and diamond).

The other mode is Creative Mode where you get the "virtual legos" from; you can build anything you want with the entire assortment of blocks and assets the game has to offer.

The "third" mode is newer for the Wii U and looks to be coming to the Switch. It's basically Battle Mode where you can go online and compete with real people in a Hunger Games styled thing where you grab gear and it's last man standing rules. There's also a new Flight minigame online and there's another Battle Mode thing I'm forgetting...it's called like Tumble or something where you try to knock the other players off of platforms/knock them straight down into lava.

In addition to the Survival Mode; the technical "end game" of Minecraft is to quite literally reach "The End", a special alternate universe area where you have to fight a giant dragon. I've never really attributed it much to the core aspect of Survival which for me is to basically just make a really great self sustaining homestead. In fact, I don't think any of my Survival Worlds have come close to even reaching The End.

WhyKlef

Neo Member
Can you guys sell me on this version? I have a Shield Tablet and the Pocket Edition is quite solid at this point, do the themes come with prebuilt worlds? Like the Mario one for example?

Also, how is connectivity? You got to know people to play with them or is there some kind of matchmaking on consoles?

Cheers!

Top Bottom