• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Windows 10 version

This announcement sounds to me like a Minecraft port to a new engine. Basically a port of the console versions.

I totally need to play Minecraft again. Haven't played it in forever.

Seanspeed

Banned
pocket edition? Holy shit that's sad.
Why? Being able to have a version you can play at home on your TV/monitor, then throw on your tablet if the TV is being used, or to take on the road with you or something sounds pretty cool.

It's not a total game-changer for the IP, but it's a good addition. I'll probably mess around with it.

Crayon

pied-piper-art_zpsqehtyc8c.gif

Soodanim

I bought Minecraft back when it was alpha or beta or something like that, long before I built a PC worth playing it on. Since then I've "bought" it on a tablet using free Amazon credit (and it's awful to control), but still never played on PC. Probably because of the Java stuff, I just can't be bothered. I'll probably take the W10 version unless the PE is really that much worse.

Kadin

I haven't played the PC version in a very long time. Did they outline how those who own it on PC will get it for free? I'm not sure I even remember my login info, it's been that long...

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So it is confirmed that the windows 10 version is just pocket edition with more features being added to it (they will roll over to regular pocket edition too). So all of you worrying the sky is falling chill. This is not a replacement and is probably just work from the windows phone version of the game which will now work on all windows 10 products. Here is the confirmation

wAw5gJA.png

Fuck that. Minecraft really should move away from Java at some point. A new version of Minecraft for the PC would have been great in the long run.

tw1164

I would repurchase a minecraft w/ easier mod support. Installing mods for my kids is one of the most frustrating thing I do. Fuck you item ID conflicts and none descript error logs. I blame youtube.

jelly

Their Universal app idea looks like it hinders Minecraft on PC if they seem set on the pocket edition.

What's next, Minecraft Pro, Minecraft Extreme, Minecraft XL that actually has bigger worlds, mods and such or will users run into this level doesn't work on your tablet, phone.

Nice that there is online support and stuff. Time to monetize instead of mods although it would nice if they took a Steam Workshop, marketplace approach and used the actual power of PCs to create some cool stuff to sell or trade.

RdN

Oh, it's just the Pocket Edition?

That sucks.. I was hoping we'd finally get a new engine on something, anything really, better than Java.

Nice, now just make it cross-play with Xbox and we'll have the best version of Minecraft

So it is confirmed that the windows 10 version is just pocket edition with more features being added to it (they will roll over to regular pocket edition too). So all of you worrying the sky is falling chill. This is not a replacement and is probably just work from the windows phone version of the game which will now work on all windows 10 products. Here is the confirmation

wAw5gJA.png
Booo. This could have been the chance to move full Minecraft off of Java as well as making it cross-play with Xbox. Guess that wont happen anytime soon... unless the plan is to slowly upgrade PE to be full (doubt it)

I've asked this before but I forget, what about Java makes it bad for Minecraft and games in general?
Read this small thread, it'll explain why Java is terrible for most games http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984239

FordGTGuy

Banned
I meant that this isn't a full version of Minecraft.

Have you played PE Minecraft?

pocket edition? Holy shit that's sad.

Thread full of people putting down PE Minecraft...

It's literally full Minecraft on a phone... it even has infinite worlds.

He is talking about players OWN personal servers. Hell my 12yo son has one he runs. I am sure MS will be happy to host a vanilla no mod version on their servers though for a small fee. :(

Let's ignore that every time they update Minecraft on Java they break all the mods for it.......

If this allows your son to migrate his server at some point with the same mods converted to the new version of Minecraft... that's a way better option.

KDR_11k

No mods = no interest anyway. The core content of MC expands too slowly for my tastes. Terraria has expanded its content exponentially, with MC it feels more logarithmic instead.

Though since the PE is so much more primitive I wonder why they're even bothering.

I guess the Pocket Edition is more or less becoming the beta/alpha for the new rebuild.

It's progressing the same way but with a new engine, so..honestly this seems like a good idea.

Heh, that's pretty brazen.

I wonder how many cycles of this type of PR bullshit an average person can go through before getting clued in.

Yeah, the second I read "AMAAAAAZING new Super Duper Secret Sauce Win 10 features" it triggered an instant eye-roll. Splitting the user base seems like a bad idea. And who knows what this means for mods & private servers. But, we all knew MS didn't spend a couple billion on the IP so they could let Minecraft exist as it always has. They have to figure out how to monetize it in a big way. Step 1 is getting people to try the new version & really the only way to get that rolling is to give it away free to existing users, so they at least did that part right. Edit: I do like the idea of having this be cross-platform, especially with mobile in the mix. Playing MC on a Win 10 phone is a killer app. Might even sell a few Windows phones if its included free.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Have you played PE Minecraft?

Thread full of people putting down PE Minecraft...

It's literally full Minecraft on a phone... it even has infinite worlds.

Let's ignore that every time they update Minecraft on Java they break all the mods for it.......

If this allows your son to migrate his server at some point with the same mods converted to the new version of Minecraft... that's a way better option.

Yes, and it's not "literally full Minecraft" at all. There's tons of features missing. I would prefer they aim to eventually replace the current PC version, which doesn't seem like the case if they're porting over Pocket Edition.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
No I didn't miss it, I just don't believe them when they say it because they are already cutting back on development of the Java version of Minecraft. It wasn't till today that we now discover WHY they are cutting back development of the JAVA version of Minecraft.

Talk about overreacting.

Well, he isn't wrong. The PC version has languished since the MS buyout, and now we know why. MS will want to make this new PE/Win10 version the standard and popular version in time because they certainly want Minecraft to mainly be on MS controlled platforms, but they won't do it by brute force as that would piss a lot of people off. They will do it by making the PE/W10 version the most attractive way to play Minecraft. So what MS will most likely do is the following, in order:

1) the W10 version is free (with Win10 itself being free) so that instantly gets it 20 million owners
2) they will stop updating the Java version gradually so as not to seem like they are (this has obviously already started)
3) they will concurrently and quickly get content parity for the PE/W10 game with the Java game to make it more "attractive"
4) they will then eventually make the PE/W10 game the lead platform and the first to get updates, the Java version falls behind then and eventually freezes updatewise, this gently moves the playerbase away from the Java game (but doesn't force anyone to)
5) once enough people are on the PE/W10 version they introduce microtransactions :(

I'm a huge Minecraft fan and in all honesty I'm not too sure I'm upset about this. The Java version is limiting the game, it has for a long time now. Moving to a Win10 DX11 version can only open the doors for greater possibilities, and while it being based on the PE edition sucks at the moment, if they update the PE/W10 game to content and feature parity with the Java game then I really wouldn't have any problem with it.

But here's the biggest thing: the Java game isn't going away. It's here, we have it, and even if MS drops all support for it today and never updates it again, the mod scene practically guarantees that the Java version will live on for many, many years. I mean, mods for Minecraft give it so much life that I truly don't care if MS ignores it. BUT, we are getting a free W10 version of the game that will most likely be a C++ DX11 client, well forgive me but the potential that brings with it certainly has my interest and curiosity piqued. And it's free for all of us PC owners, I mean fucking MS is giving it to us.

Yeah, this feels like good news to me, it certainly could have been far, far worse given Microsoft's past.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yes, and it's not "literally full Minecraft" at all. There's tons of features missing. I would prefer they aim to eventually replace the current PC version, which doesn't seem like the case if they're porting over Pocket Edition.

The version they are releasing on July 29th is heavily updated over the current PE version.

gblues

Banned
I'm excited.

My son wants to play Minecraft PE with me, but it's just so tedious on the iPhone. Being able to do it from my PC is a really neat feature.

A quick google search tells me Minecraft PE does support mods. If this is just Minecraft PE, that bodes well for mod support, right? Mods are the only reason the game even interests me.

Zomba13

I was excited to see a non-Java version of Minecraft for PC. Like, one that has better performance, better mod support etc thing that just take the great Minecraft and make it easier and smoother to play it how you want.

But nope, it's just a port of the mobile version...

Elija2

Not gonna lie, I don't really mind that it'll be based on Minecraft PE. As long as it eventually reaches parity with the original, I'm willing to get it just to ditch Java and for the new features.

jax

Banned
So this will work with all Pocket Edition titles? Vita.. iOS... 360? Rad! Really opens the platform for everyone to play together!

DrXym

I suspect the decision to use PE has much to do with the constraints that many Windows 10 devices will operate under.

Desktop Minecraft runs horribly on a lot of low end PCs like laptops so there is no hope of getting it to work on tablets, phones or such like. PE has the potential to scale upwards so I guess that would be the reasoning for going with that.

onken

I've asked this before but I forget, what about Java makes it bad for Minecraft and games in general?

You have to install Java which means being plagued by annoying pop-ups and putting your system at significant security risk.

DrXym

You have to install Java which means being plagued by annoying pop-ups and putting your system at significant security risk.

Minecraft has an installer these days. There is no separate install of Java necessary. It's kind of surprising it took them so damned long to do considering the effort of supporting random JRE and JOGL backends.

As for "security risk", the only risk of Java was if you installed the browser plugin. Otherwise it is no more risk to your system than anything else that can be executed. Don't know what you mean by "pop-ups". The Oracle installer does try and foist some crapware on you if you install separately but Java is not the cause any pop-ups.

They talk about cross platform play but not clear WHICH platforms. It looks like Mobile and Xbox One maybe?

Any news about Mac/Win10 cross platform? If not then I can't "upgrade".

Also any reason why the current Java PC version wouldn't work on Windows 10?

Seanspeed

Banned
They talk about cross platform play but not clear WHICH platforms. It looks like Mobile and Xbox One maybe?

Any news about Mac/Win10 cross platform? If not then I can't "upgrade".

Also any reason why the current Java PC version wouldn't work on Windows 10?
It'll work on Windows 10 still.

This is a Windows 10-specific version built for cross compatibility with other W10 devices, seemingly only mobile for right now. They couldn't do this with the Java version. No word on XB1 crossplay, but I think since it's handled by a different developer with a different codebase, that might not happen.

Or to think of it another way, just treat this as the mobile Minecraft version ported to Windows 10 with some additional features.

Yrael

Eh. Free's free. Nice to get away from Java, but I do like mods (particularly the ones that change world generation and add lots of biomes).

Mengy

It'll work on Windows 10 still.

This is a Windows 10-specific version built for cross compatibility with other W10 devices, seemingly only mobile for right now. They couldn't do this with the Java version. No word on XB1 crossplay, but I think since it's handled by a different developer with a different codebase, that might not happen.

Or to think of it another way, just treat this as the mobile Minecraft version ported to Windows 10 with some additional features.

I'm not sure, I think I remember Phil Spencer saying that there will be a kernel update to Win10 for the X1 to replace the Win8 kernel, so playing the W10 version on the X1 might actually happen. That would allow mobile, Xbox1, and PC players to all play together. Which would kind of be cool honestly.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm not sure, I think I remember Phil Spencer saying that there will be a kernel update to Win10 for the X1 to replace the Win8 kernel, so playing the W10 version on the X1 might actually happen. That would allow mobile, Xbox1, and PC players to all play together. Which would kind of be cool honestly.
It's possible for them to do this, but it wont be crossplay with the existing XB1 version.

It sounds like they'd have to do what they're doing with the PC version and have a 'Windows 10' version that is separate from the existing XB1 version. Mobile and console versions of the game are not the same game.

I suppose it's not impossible that they completely replace the XB1 version with this version, but it would probably mean a total wipe of everything people had done before, so I think a separate version would be preferable.

Mengy

It's possible for them to do this, but it wont be crossplay with the existing XB1 version.

It sounds like they'd have to do what they're doing with the PC version and have a 'Windows 10' version that is separate from the existing XB1 version. Mobile and console versions of the game are not the same game.

I suppose it's not impossible that they completely replace the XB1 version with this version, but it would probably mean a total wipe of everything people had done before, so I think a separate version would be preferable.

Nah, they would just give the W10 version free to anyone who owns the current Xbox version, just like they are doing with the PC version. That prevents wiping anything and places the choice of version in the player's hands. Then MS proceeds to make the W10 version so much better than the Xbox edition that everyone will migrate over on their own.

That's my hunch.

Top Bottom