• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst gameplay teaser (more at Gamescom)

Sigfodr

I'm a huge fan of the first game and after playing the new one at E3, a lot of my concerns were addressed. I like the open world because it's exactly what a lot of people wanted - open world with very obvious primary paths with lots of room to find new ways around. And since you run to mission start points, you're kind of forced to see the rooftops from different angles and most people will start creating their own routes. Oh, and there are more collectibles, of course, cause it's open world (and honestly I would want that in this kind of game).

I miss Faith's VA (it's now Faye Kingslee), but a lot of the little touches were obvious nods to the original, like the coloring and
another runner named Icarus
. The city did look a little more claustrophobic, but I think that was just because the demo was on a lower rooftop.

I talked to the head writer at Comic Con, and he definitely likes the project and is really throwing himself into it, so while I don't know how the story will compare to the first, I'm sure it'll be something fans of the first can enjoy as long as they aren't Comic Book Guy-level assholes about it.

Looks good albeit not as 'minimalistic' as I remember ME looking.

I've gotta say... I'm missing that bright white with splashes of color aesthetic. It was so uniquely Mirror's Edge and made for the most gorgeous environments I've seen in gaming.

Aww don't say that you guys.

I'm hoping it's just because the lighting isn't fixed. With a day/night cycle it won't ever manage being that white bright look all the time.

I hope the general architecture is still as strong as it was though. It was such a gorgeous city.

Feep

Banned
Sounds great! Did you experience how the open world has changed the game or was it a confined demo?
It was open, but a relatively small section. Basically you can activate "dashes" and other specific content that picks a specific action line and creates a mini time-trial there.

From what I understand, simply traversing the city from place to place is more of a general, have-fun-find-your-own-route kind of thing. When in specific buildings, missions, or story points, things will probably be a bit more linear.

I didn't think it was a downside at all, and I love the first.

bombshell

It was open, but a relatively small section. Basically you can activate "dashes" and other specific content that picks a specific action line and creates a mini time-trial there.

From what I understand, simply traversing the city from place to place is more of a general, have-fun-find-your-own-route kind of thing. When in specific buildings, missions, or story points, things will probably be a bit more linear.

I didn't think it was a downside at all, and I love the first.

Thanks for the answer.

I'm a bit gutted that Jules de Jongh didn't return for the role of Faith Connors. Anyone else is going to be hard to adjust to.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The lack of Jules de Jongh in this one horrifies me to my core. To such an extent, I almost feel like drafting up one of those ineffectual petitions in the vain hope of having Faith sound normal again.

RSB

Banned
This and Mankind Divided are my most anticipated games right now (the original Mirror's Edge and Human Revoultion are easily in my top 5 of last gen)

Hype!

That OST sample is very Human Revolution-ry.
Do we know if Solar Fields is doing the soundtrack? I sure hope so, bacause the first game's OST was incredible.

This and Mankind Divided are my most anticipated games right now (the original Mirror's Edge and Human Revoultion are easily in my top 5 of last gen)

Hype!

Do we know if Solar Fields is doing the soundtrack? I sure hope so, bacause the first game's OST was incredible.

They're both out early next year as well. Exciting times. Providing everything doesn't get delayed (again), 2016 is going to kill it.

And yeah, the lack of Faith's original voice actress is one thing, but if Solar Fields has been stonewalled as well then I will riot.

patapuf

"Here's a new in-engine trailer for Mirror's Edge Catalyst!"

[70 seconds later]

"And now we're going to have an awkward 35 minute chat with Maradona about soccer!"

You got that order in reverse.

They will chat with maradona for 35 minutes while we they blend in "mirrors edge in x minutes" every now and then.

Doofcake

Please remove the combat. Please remove the combat. Please remove the combat.

Also please make the game more linear and focused. Yes, more linear. For a game all about momentum the first game sure loved to make you stop and look around to figure out where you were supposed to go. It really hurt the pacing and this combined with the terrible combat hurt the game a lot for me. The game was fun when it embraced the never stop moving gameplay. It's like if a Sonic game made you stop every minute to figure out where you're supposed to go next. That's not what the game should be about.

It's open world and the combat is still there but no guns. The combat has been improved so that it doesn't even slow you down let alone make you stop and you should be able to avoid combat altogether.

patapuf

It's open world and the combat is still there but no guns. The combat has been improved so that it doesn't even slow you down let alone make you stop and you should be able to avoid combat altogether.

Basically it should be like a fancier version of jumping on Goombas and Koopas.

Sigfodr

Please remove the combat. Please remove the combat. Please remove the combat.

Basically it should be like a fancier version of jumping on Goombas and Koopas.

The combat works really well. When I replay the first game, I avoid all combat cause it's clunky as hell and kills the flow, so I was saying "Please remove the combat" for the sequel. After I got my hands on it, I love what they did. I took down the enemies in the demo in a single move that conserved momentum. The take-downs were pretty contextual, so I look forward to learning with how the environment plays with approaching enemies from different directions. And I'm pretty sure you can do a combat-free run.

tl;dr - combat is there, it's nice, and it maintains the flow

Man it looks great. Just looking around at the buildings made me wanna run around and traverse them all. Feels even more exciting after the let-down that was the FFXV Dawn trailer.

Top Bottom